Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

He sure as gently caress wasn't joking about "eventually" wrapping it up though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I mean we're all headed to our eventual end, if you think about it

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Azran posted:

Very much doubt that, whoever's left reading GC at this point is either a wholehearted fan of whatever the gently caress's going on or, uh, this thread.

Randalor posted:

You also have the people who are sticking around because the story was supposed to be wrapping up.

I can partially admit to both of those things, but don't forget the sunk cost fallacy and the just out of habit crowd, which I'm probably more a part of.

So many webcomics I used to read either ended, were abandoned (unfortunately too common), or I just lost interest in. So myself, I stick with some of the few left that still keep chugging along for better or for worse.

I guess that means I'm not so much waiting for the end, because who knows how far off that actually is, but more just to see where things go, be it good or bad.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

There's no real cost for me to check the site when an update happens and otherwise it occupies no space in my brain. I'm just hanging around for the ending and for the occasional "oh neat" moments.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Oh, cool, the numen run on 40k Ork rules. Just use their collective unconscious psychic field to control the ether dreamscape rather than accidentally killing them.

... shouldn't this have been the thing that led to Kat breaking through into this place? Because this sounds like what should have led to Kat manifesting so Annie could guide her through.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Randalor posted:

Oh, cool, the numen run on 40k Ork rules. Just use their collective unconscious psychic field to control the ether dreamscape rather than accidentally killing them.

... shouldn't this have been the thing that led to Kat breaking through into this place? Because this sounds like what should have led to Kat manifesting so Annie could guide her through.

Nah we already established this dreamzone works based on memory, which is why Annie associated them to Jeanne in the first place and got someone killed. It's fine, it isn't her fault despite her knowing how this worked already.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

FlocksOfMice posted:

Annie associated them to Jeanne in the first place and got someone killed. It's fine, it isn't her fault despite her knowing how this worked already.

Honestly I think it's kind of unfair of the thread to harp on about this? Yes, Annie was the one that summoned Jeanne, but it actually isn't really her fault. She didn't summon Jeanne intentionally, and i don't think anyone should blame her for thinking of Jeanne when near the river - that's like blaming someone for thinking of their childhood if you drove by the home they grew up in, it's just a reflexive action. And it's extremely hard to intentionally NOT think about something without, well, thinking about it or picturing it in your mind.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, that's fair. I'm more wondering why it's only been Annie/Zimmy/Coyote influencing their journey when all the numen SHOULD have been having some effect, it doesn't seem like Annie specifically chose the bridge and river that led to the guy being killed. Just odd that she had to tell them all to think of the angel and where they were "born" AFTER Kat was already brought into the Ether then bounced back out.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

CodfishCartographer posted:

Honestly I think it's kind of unfair of the thread to harp on about this? Yes, Annie was the one that summoned Jeanne, but it actually isn't really her fault. She didn't summon Jeanne intentionally, and i don't think anyone should blame her for thinking of Jeanne when near the river - that's like blaming someone for thinking of their childhood if you drove by the home they grew up in, it's just a reflexive action. And it's extremely hard to intentionally NOT think about something without, well, thinking about it or picturing it in your mind.

I agree that it is not Annie's fault, but it is also the kind of thing that I would expect most people to feel guilt about. She acknowledges just after it happens that she caused it. Since then, she has been dealing with her psychopomp duties and Saslamel, so not the right time to process what happened. But at some point I would hope for her to acknowledge it and work through some feelings about what happened, both for her sake and for the sake of the new people as people. Even if this were just a post chapter page with Kat asking what exactly happened to Sam and a fade to black as Annie explained, I'd be disappointed but at least happy that it was acknowledged again.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I'm not bothered by Annie's actions here, but I'm kinda jaded on the whole Zimmyspace thing after the last jaunt they had there was a big wet fart of a chapter. (The one where Zimmy merges the Annies back together, not when we learn Jenny became a tradwife because being goth is dumb.)

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Arbetor posted:

I agree that it is not Annie's fault, but it is also the kind of thing that I would expect most people to feel guilt about. She acknowledges just after it happens that she caused it. Since then, she has been dealing with her psychopomp duties and Saslamel, so not the right time to process what happened. But at some point I would hope for her to acknowledge it and work through some feelings about what happened, both for her sake and for the sake of the new people as people. Even if this were just a post chapter page with Kat asking what exactly happened to Sam and a fade to black as Annie explained, I'd be disappointed but at least happy that it was acknowledged again.

Yeah I do think that the characters' reactions to this whole thing has been really weird. Nobody seems to really care that someone just died! Even the robo-humans just look bummed out about it - I would expect that seeing the first person of their race to ever die would be a somewhat traumatic experience for some of them. None of them are crying, or distraught, or worried for their own safety. It's possible this is due to them being in a cult-like trance, but the cult-like elements have never really been portrayed in a death-cult-like way. They haven't been shown to glamorize death or see it as a great release or anything like that.

Randalor posted:

Yeah, that's fair. I'm more wondering why it's only been Annie/Zimmy/Coyote influencing their journey when all the numen SHOULD have been having some effect, it doesn't seem like Annie specifically chose the bridge and river that led to the guy being killed. Just odd that she had to tell them all to think of the angel and where they were "born" AFTER Kat was already brought into the Ether then bounced back out.

Related to the above, inconsistency of the rules is kind of an issue as well. If all you have to do is think about a person to jump to them, why did the group not jump to Kat as soon as all the robots were like "hey we want to take the cpu seeds to her directly"? Maybe cus they didn't all think about it together at the same time? But if that's the case, why were they able to travel via just Annie's free association? I get that Zimmyland is supposed to follow somewhat arbitrary rules, and we don't know for certain that they're going to successfully travel to Kat, but it feels a bit more like the comic going "okay we accomplished the plot we wanted to accomplish, time to wrap this up!"

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

it feels a bit more like the comic going "okay we accomplished the plot we wanted to accomplish, time to wrap this up!"

I can't see it as anything other than this. Another box perfunctorily ticked, now on to the next one. No emotional weight, no lasting consequences (for anyone who matters). Annie just let a stray, careless memory straight-up murder a sentient being -- literally Stay-Puft Marshmallow Manned the dude -- and does not grapple with her culpability at all, it's just a little whoopsy-doodle as she figures out the most expedient way to travel to the next checkbox on the list.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Or to put a spin on the numen and Sam's death, have them become incredibly happy once it sinks in that he is dead-dead, because it means that they are actually human and Sam was the first one to experience a full life. Just a reminder that they were immortal and finally given mortality, and not just fleshy bodies.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Yeah the zimmy dimension has mostly just been a place where whatever the gently caress the whim of the story wants to happen gets to happen without any need for explanation or continuity or logic. Which honestly the whole world has kind of been for a long time in my personal opinion. There's always been some randomness and whimsy but I feel like the world hasn't "made sense" for me in ages. I first fell out with this comic during the cruise ship arc and have been mostly keeping loosely up because gdi I just want to see the end

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

exciting development: zimmy says kat will kill her, right? well annie is about to think-warp everyone to kat, which, by dragging kat's technological workshop nightmare pocket dimension into zimmy's bizarro world, will kill zimmy! this fits in perfectly with tom's larger story beats because this way it'll all ultimately be annie's fault

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Not to rehash the whole thing but the thing is Annie believes she is at fault whether she is or not. She blames herself immediately after sam gets stabbed by the dead fake memory ghost or whatever. Nothing comes of it and everyone seems to have forgotten about it in comic since then though (which is probably for the better considering how past iterations of this thing have gone). But yeah realistically you can't blame Annie in this situation. That said it's a little weird that she is constantly being written in situations where she keeps blaming herself (or a 3rd party does) for stuff that's not her fault.

Like what's the point of it? I can't see how it adds anything to the story or her characterization. If anything its a distraction from the big plot beats Tom probably wants us to focus on.

It almost feels like a running gag at this point.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 19, 2024

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Honestly I'm surprised the robots didn't blame her and follow up with her going "guh... abloo bloo bloo... M-me? Must run away!" again

But I guess that would require them to have any personality or agency at all, and we can't expect robots to do that. Maybe if they had human bodies and souls or something. Hey! Kat should get on that, sounds like a good idea!

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Just a recognition that the slightest misstep, even if unintended, has life or death consequences; that's all. She shouldn't need to self-flagellate, for sure, just maybe show some awareness that other people's lives have value and shouldn't be treated lightly, arming her with a little more wisdom and a firmer resolution. But instead it's being treated as a minor problem to overcome. Again, just tonal whiplash.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Well they're just robots who fuckin' cares. They LIKE being able to die, and probably don't care too much if Kat lets a few slip into limbo, cuz she's tHe AnGeL and they love her because because.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

"Some of you may die, but rest assured that it is all in the noble cause of my Journey of Self-Discovery. Sure, it's not a very deep journey, but as long as we're having fun. Well, most of us"

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
Why do we need to take Sam's corpse to kat right this second, anyway? Weren't they headed somewhere?

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

Not to rehash the whole thing but the thing is Annie believes she is at fault whether she is or not. She blames herself immediately after sam gets stabbed by the dead fake memory ghost or whatever. Nothing comes of it and everyone seems to have forgotten about it in comic since then though (which is probably for the better considering how past iterations of this thing have gone). But yeah realistically you can't blame Annie in this situation. That said it's a little weird that she is constantly being written in situations where she keeps blaming herself (or a 3rd party does) for stuff that's not her fault.

Like what's the point of it? I can't see how it adds anything to the story or her characterization. If anything its a distraction from the big plot beats Tom probably wants us to focus on.

It almost feels like a running gag at this point.

yeah this is more what I mean. I don't actually think Annie is at fault but annie was at fault in her own head for like 10 seconds and then there was suddenly no consequences emotionally for this guy being dead because it was just about dealing with logistics of him being dead. The story kind of forgot what it was doing and what the characters were feeling and also forgot to have the characters feel anything

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Rat Patrol posted:

Why do we need to take Sam's corpse to kat right this second, anyway? Weren't they headed somewhere?

They were headed home to "let everyone know what's going on". Not to, you know, maybe find Zimmy or Coyote or Loup and put a stop to this, but just warn people about the thing they are already effected by.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

It's weird because I had just gone back to double check that yes, the plan is to "warn" everyone about the things that have been happening for 6 months now (https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2832), and then two pages later the nupeople are talking about "going to Kat directly" (https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2834), so I guess the goal is now "getting to" Kat (https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2889).

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
Five loving months in the distortion (so far) holy poo poo

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I also like how unclear it is who "everyone" even is. We've barely seen anyone that isn't a numan since what, the mind cage? Basically everything since then has just been Annie, Kat, Lana, and Loup. Even the "home" aspect is fuzzy since we have no real idea of the layout of things - Annie and Kat were at a Cafe talking about how Paz left, Jerrek and Lana showed up and took them "somewhere private" where they wound up capturing Jerrek, he took them to the place where the landslide buried the robots so he could "prove he's a changed man" and pulled up the rest of the robot parts, then Coyote popped out and we went to Zimmyworld. So presumably they started in Zimmyworld near the edge of the court I guess?

So the current goal has been to go somewhere(?) to tell someone(?) about what's happening.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
So, they just teleported to some random spot in a distortion and are leaving him like that?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z4uivPpzCGo&pp=ygUab2ggZGVhciBob3cgc2FkIG5ldmVyIG1pbmQ%3D

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The gutwrenching expressions in a crowd of teens standing over fresh corpse they knew:

😲 😶 😔 😶 🐩 😶

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's been *months* of mildly surprised numen staring at something :negative:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Azran posted:

It's been *months* of mildly surprised numen staring at something :negative:
I'm reading one punch man in another thread. His :geno: face is a deliberate joke and he still emotes more.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I was going to bitch about how Kat wasn't in the distortion, but she actually does say that everything looks messed up where she is when she's talking to Annie back at the start of this arc (back in September). I'm still annoyed at the glacial slow pace of the comic, but at least it's being sorta-kinda consistent.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Randalor posted:

I was going to bitch about how Kat wasn't in the distortion, but she actually does say that everything looks messed up where she is when she's talking to Annie back at the start of this arc (back in September). I'm still annoyed at the glacial slow pace of the comic, but at least it's being sorta-kinda consistent.

I went back and reread the start of this section and I'm still marveling at how floaty everything feels. The weird way Annie swaps between doubt and confidence has already been hashed out, but now I'm thinking about Kat telling Annie to go "home" to explain the situation to the "others", and then the trip immediately being co-opted by the nupeople to deliver the CPUs to Kat. Is Kat at "home"? The conversation implies that she isn't, and "home" is a third location, but dealing with the supposed panic of the "others" is immediately forgotten because of the CPUs. I don't even know who the "others" are, since huge swathes of the supporting cast have been memoryholed.

Also, Kat does mention after she finds out Lana done got et that the memory transfer is one time only, so presumably that is part of the ensoulification. No Phantom of Kansas situation here.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Supposedly everyone is in the distortion, hence why Annie is in such a rush (lol) to "warn everyone" that they've been in a distortion for a while now. In my re-read to pull those links above, one of them speculates that the distortion could have reached all the way "to the shore" which is, like, where all the Court people are supposed to be boarding for Suicide CometThe Planet Without Aether. Or maybe they already left? It's been, like, years since that was a thing. They're either the slowest packers in the universe, or they're just frozen in time waiting for their cutscene to trigger while Annie is determined to 100% all the side quests.

Zoya
Jun 12, 2023

echoes of a distant past,
bodies die but voices last.
once were held within a cell,
your mind is where these voices dwell.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

they're just frozen in time waiting for their cutscene to trigger while Annie is determined to 100% all the side quests.

lmao

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Supposedly everyone is in the distortion, hence why Annie is in such a rush (lol) to "warn everyone" that they've been in a distortion for a while now. In my re-read to pull those links above, one of them speculates that the distortion could have reached all the way "to the shore" which is, like, where all the Court people are supposed to be boarding for Suicide CometThe Planet Without Aether. Or maybe they already left? It's been, like, years since that was a thing. They're either the slowest packers in the universe, or they're just frozen in time waiting for their cutscene to trigger while Annie is determined to 100% all the side quests.

Honestly, since one of the stipulations of leaving the planet was no one remembering you and vice versa, it makes a cruel bit of since that we'll just never hear from some characters ever again. Good luck sussing out who, though.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
What is Kat's expression in the last panel

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Baller Ina posted:

"drat...he died as he lived... extremely bald"

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Baller Ina posted:

She's squatting down, tight lipped and eyes closed, trying really hard to push out a deuce while rubbing baldy's head for luck that everything comes out okay.

The surprised looks on everyone's faces is due to the inappropriateness of doing that given the current situation, and the fact that she didn't even bother to pull her pants down.

Maldraedior
Jun 16, 2002

YOU ARE AN ASININE MORT
She's feeling for the small soft spot in the base of the skull; you hold it down and a small hole opens that you can slip a paperclip into. This unkills the Numen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts

Randalor posted:

The real answer to this is that it only just now occurred to Tom that the numans would actually have their own thoughts at all.