Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

My favourites are the extremely suspect chapters Cawl made from "Salamander" geneseed (with no mention of any of them having the classic Salamander mutations).

And of course there's always the Sons Of The Phoenix

Yeah I love them all :v: I want even more outlandish chapters along these lines. White Scars successors who are known for their resistance to toxic environments and excel at grueling foot advances through rad-poisoned wastelands. Iron Hands successors who develop blindness in one eye and are all psykers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Dorn's actually back? I hadn't realized that had been confirmed.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

It hasnt

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

habeasdorkus posted:

in tank form

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Neat, just like Russ.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

habeasdorkus posted:

Sorry, I meant Lionel. They blend together in my head sometimes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

Sorry, I meant Lionel. They blend together in my head sometimes.

I call them the Green one and the Yellow one, to avoid confusion.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Just finished Sea of Souls. It certainly started as an Imperial Navy romp.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Stumbled on some of the lore from E&TD2 yesterday, decided it was wild enough that I had to catch up, read both parts 1 and 2 today in like 7-8 hours. Pretty fun! Absolutely wild! I realise I'm late on the boat here but I'd love to hear people's theories and speculations about it and how part 3 will go down (with the very obvious beats known, obviously).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Is Gaunt's Ghosts finished? Last novel in the chronological timeline came out in... 2019? I've read up to Sabbat Martyr, thought of snapping up The Lost omnibus and continue someday. I did kinda spoil myself reading summaries but knowing Abnett the floor is still pretty high.

That said, I've fallen off the Black Library for almost half a decade, have they published more (good) Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum books? I liked Cain too but I've only read up to the 2nd omnibus. Kind of fatigued from Space Marines still lol

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Gaunt's Ghosts is not finished, Abnett has been focused elsewhere in the years since then. There have been various Guard books published in recent years and I haven't heard of any of them being especially great, and so I haven't read any, except for The Fall of Cadia by Robert Rath, which is really good. The big story is already something you know if you've kept up with the overall plot development of the 40K setting, but Rath does a great job of writing a really classic-feeling war novel focusing mostly on minor characters, and when he does spotlight a big-name character like Abaddon or Creed, I think he does them justice without letting them take up the whole story.

"But in my experience, that’s what fathers do" is a line that proves Rath really and truly understands 40K :smith:

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jan 19, 2024

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The latest book chronologically in the series is Anarch, though the third Sabbat Worlds Crusade anthology does have a short story set after Anarch concludes.

The latest Gaunt's Ghosts book is a side-prequel called The Vincula Insurgency and that came out in 2021.

It's up in the air when the next Ghosts book will come out given that Abnett has been tearing through Siege of Terra stuff but hopefully we get some news in this year or next.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 19, 2024

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lily Catts posted:

Is Gaunt's Ghosts finished? Last novel in the chronological timeline came out in... 2019? I've read up to Sabbat Martyr, thought of snapping up The Lost omnibus and continue someday. I did kinda spoil myself reading summaries but knowing Abnett the floor is still pretty high.

That said, I've fallen off the Black Library for almost half a decade, have they published more (good) Imperial Guard/Astra Militarum books? I liked Cain too but I've only read up to the 2nd omnibus. Kind of fatigued from Space Marines still lol

Imperial Guard may be your favorite but please if you've been away that long there are some extremely good books that have came out (non-guard) you should read. I'd strongly suggest the vaults of terra and watchers of the throne series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/Steal_your_shit/status/1748071837127364908?t=zfDQEwSAjXEtKPH7Vvj2gQ&s=19

Woof. Not that I'll get Warhammer Plus (since apparently you can't in Canada) but that is one hell of a good Trazyn.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I hope GW introduces a harlequin character who does nothing but sneak into his collection and very slightly moves things around.

It's harmless to the lore and you know it would drive him up the loving wall.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/Steal_your_shit/status/1748071837127364908?t=zfDQEwSAjXEtKPH7Vvj2gQ&s=19

Woof. Not that I'll get Warhammer Plus (since apparently you can't in Canada) but that is one hell of a good Trazyn.

This one and In the Garden of Ghosts are my favorite hammer and bolter eps.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I actually got keen enough last night that I read The Infinite and the Divine, and I have a couple of questions.

1) What exactly is the nature of a C'Tan and a C'Tan Shard?
2) Both main characters remember the other having dragged them in chains for bioconversion. Is this a wider "thing" or is it just that one or both of them are too memory fried to remember? I thought perhaps that everyone remembers that they personally had to be dragged in chains, but actually in the end everyone walked willingly to their doom- but this makes less sense for Orikan in particular.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

lines posted:

I actually got keen enough last night that I read The Infinite and the Divine, and I have a couple of questions.

1) What exactly is the nature of a C'Tan and a C'Tan Shard?

Honestly not worth spoilering as this is fundamental Necron lore. The C'Tan were "Star Gods", horrible beings of pure energy that fed on stars. The Necrontyr discovered them, and placed one into a Necrodermis shell, whereapon it realised that eating fear (and souls) was even tastier than eating stars, and the Necrons were like "gently caress, please stop killing us, we'll worship you and also there are plenty of other species to eat, including those loving Old Ones that we hate (because they didn't give us the cure for Space Cancer)". The C'Tan also hated the Old Ones, so they were like "deal, also we can give you sweet new bodies that don't have Space Cancer and make you better at fighting those fuckin Old Ones".

Obviously this didn't go great for the Necrontyr, and what came out of the forges were the Necrons, soulless robots encoded with the memory and personality engrams of their originals. Szarekh in particular was super pissed about this, and once the War In Heaven was won, lead the Necrons in a betrayal of the C'Tan while they were still weak. They couldn't destroy them, but they could shatter them into a million pieces, then seal those in vaults to use as batteries/weapons. SPOILERS: they might have also somehow eaten one which lead to Problems.

lines posted:

2) Both main characters remember the other having dragged them in chains for bioconversion. Is this a wider "thing" or is it just that one or both of them are too memory fried to remember? I thought perhaps that everyone remembers that they personally had to be dragged in chains, but actually in the end everyone walked willingly to their doom- but this makes less sense for Orikan in particular.

Some did, some didn't. There was even a short rebellion fought against the idea that was ultimately crushed. In the Twice Dead King books, it mentions the Red Marshals, who's job it was to round up shirkers and drag them into the furnaces, breaking their legs if needed.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Honestly not worth spoilering as this is fundamental Necron lore. The C'Tan were "Star Gods", horrible beings of pure energy that fed on stars. The Necrontyr discovered them, and placed one into a Necrodermis shell, whereapon it realised that eating fear (and souls) was even tastier than eating stars, and the Necrons were like "gently caress, please stop killing us, we'll worship you and also there are plenty of other species to eat, including those loving Old Ones that we hate (because they didn't give us the cure for Space Cancer)". The C'Tan also hated the Old Ones, so they were like "deal, also we can give you sweet new bodies that don't have Space Cancer and make you better at fighting those fuckin Old Ones".

Obviously this didn't go great for the Necrontyr, and what came out of the forges were the Necrons, soulless robots encoded with the memory and personality engrams of their originals. Szarekh in particular was super pissed about this, and once the War In Heaven was won, lead the Necrons in a betrayal of the C'Tan while they were still weak. They couldn't destroy them, but they could shatter them into a million pieces, then seal those in vaults to use as batteries/weapons. SPOILERS: they might have also somehow eaten one which lead to Problems.

Some did, some didn't. There was even a short rebellion fought against the idea that was ultimately crushed. In the Twice Dead King books, it mentions the Red Marshals, who's job it was to round up shirkers and drag them into the furnaces, breaking their legs if needed.

Oh I spoilered it because it was a spoiler that they turn up at all in the book.

I know about C'Tan (though I know this is the latest version of the lore on them) but I'm somewhat unclear on, metaphysically, how they compare to something like a demon. They are decidedly *not* Chaotic and it seems like they might be energy beings specifically of the material world? But they do seem to have/understand souls so I don't know.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/01/19/lvo-preview-2024-callis-and-toll-lead-the-saviours-of-cinderfall/

The Las Vegas Open reveals dropped a small surprise, Callis and Toll is coming back in both model and book form.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

lines posted:

Oh I spoilered it because it was a spoiler that they turn up at all in the book.

I know about C'Tan (though I know this is the latest version of the lore on them) but I'm somewhat unclear on, metaphysically, how they compare to something like a demon. They are decidedly *not* Chaotic and it seems like they might be energy beings specifically of the material world? But they do seem to have/understand souls so I don't know.

Yeah, they are beings of energy millions of years more ancient than the warp entities of chaos. They might be the tendril like manifestation of something more extradimensional. Souls are just another tangible form of energy to them so they eat them the same way they used to eat stars. The shards are just them split into smaller, less powerful entities, but by eating other shards they regain that energy and become more whole.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Jan 19, 2024

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

It's also worth noting that a lot of warp fuckery was specifically set up by the Old Ones as a way to combat the C'Tan (specifically the Eldar, but also a lot of other species able to influence the warp).

This backfired spectacularly when the C'Tan breached the webway and let a bunch of warp entities in to gently caress them up.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

At the end of the book when Orikan goes toe to toe with the Deceiver shard, transcending his necrodermis form to become an energy being, he immediately gets a mindset and outlook that is extremely C'Tan, almost seeming like he has become one. Afterwards he talks of "the other one", meaning I think the C'Tanic version of himself.

Do people think that's a capacity that, in theory, any Necron is capable of: to transcend physical form and become an energy being and thus a C'Tan in their own right?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

lines posted:

Do people think that's a capacity that, in theory, any Necron is capable of: to transcend physical form and become an energy being and thus a C'Tan in their own right?

Only in the same way as every new human birth is potentially another Emperor-level psyker.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

C'tanic

It's me, I'm the moron who didn't realize C'tan was meant to be pronounced Satan.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Kylaer posted:

It's me, I'm the moron who didn't realize C'tan was meant to be pronounced Satan.

I'm like 99% sure it isn't.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

No it is - they sell their souls to C'tan for immortality but find out it was a bad deal.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Yeah the Deceiver is very nearly called "Metatron" as well which is a classic sort of angelic name with mildly evil vibes. And "Nightbringer" is very close to "Lightbringer".

That said, you could say that "kehtanic". Just seemed the natural way to form the word.

lines fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 19, 2024

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Eventually you have to accept that the 40k universe is a universe of nominative determinism, prophecy and power echoing both forwards and backwards in time, where a guy is named angry because he's very angry, but also because time is not real and for all we know humanity invented the word "angry" because 30,000 years into the future, an angry man will emerge, and time is a lens into a reality where everything happens all at once.

Some might say "it's just nerds coming up with puns" but that's loser poo poo. Lionel Johnson was touched by the warp in 1894.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I'm so sure I have heard it pronounced ka-tahn in some game cutscene or other. Or is the dementia setting in already?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Biplane posted:

I'm so sure I have heard it pronounced ka-tahn in some game cutscene or other. Or is the dementia setting in already?

https://youtu.be/eqbA1u2idXM?si=TauedrNv9C7KN08B

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Yes that was exactly what I was half remembering, thank you.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Ah gently caress me, I just thought of a dumb as poo poo, but also hilarious way for the next loyalist primarch return

So like, Chaos has demon engines where a demon forces itself into a vehicle or robot right? And Primarchs are basically demons right? What if Cawl builds a special body and somehow attracts Ferus Manus' spirit into it. Like of the two we know are dead loyal primarchs, Sang got soul killed by Horus, but I don't think Ferrus did. And what we know about demons is their spirit lingers in the warp reforming. What if that's what Ferrus has been doing for 10k years?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

bunnyofdoom posted:

Ah gently caress me, I just thought of a dumb as poo poo, but also hilarious way for the next loyalist primarch return

So like, Chaos has demon engines where a demon forces itself into a vehicle or robot right? And Primarchs are basically demons right? What if Cawl builds a special body and somehow attracts Ferus Manus' spirit into it. Like of the two we know are dead loyal primarchs, Sang got soul killed by Horus, but I don't think Ferrus did. And what we know about demons is their spirit lingers in the warp reforming. What if that's what Ferrus has been doing for 10k years?

I dont think Sang is soul killed, I thought theres quite a bit of fluff/lore that suggests he may or may not be kinda around doing poo poo. Horus is explicitly obliterated from what I thought

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Oh, that would be hilarious.

FM: "I sure am upset about my sons chopping off parts and replacing them with machines. I'll do something about it after I see what my pal Fulgrim wants!"

-------

Robo-FM: "Hey guys I'm back, what did I miss"

Iron Hands: "Just augmetics was clearly not enough! Our Father is back fully purged of the evil flesh to show us the TRUE way. Time to capture a C'tan shard and do our own biotransfer, brothers!"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Sephyr posted:

Oh, that would be hilarious.

FM: "I sure am upset about my sons chopping off parts and replacing them with machines. I'll do something about it after I see what my pal Fulgrim wants!"

-------

Robo-FM: "Hey guys I'm back, what did I miss"

Iron Hands: "Just augmetics was clearly not enough! Our Father is back fully purged of the evil flesh to show us the TRUE way. Time to capture a C'tan shard and do our own biotransfer, brothers!"

I mean, the Iron Hands might as well have been purged already given how rarely they appear in the lore, so might as well do something wild with them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

NihilCredo posted:

I mean, the Iron Hands might as well have been purged already given how rarely they appear in the lore, so might as well do something wild with them.

You don't really need 2 chapters of black painted edgy emo marines.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Just make them edgy silver painted marines instead.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The Iron Hands suffer from the issue that I can't remember the difference between them and the Iron Warriors apart from what side they took in the Heresy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

One is the cold brutal logic of the industrialist machine, the other is the cold brutal logic of the industrialist machine.