Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

We had a base CO fired because he went cruising in his dress blues, tried to pick up a cop on a sting, ignored her "oh, I'm not working right now" poo poo trying to give him an exit, and got pushy with her until she went "okay fucker" and had him hauled in.

Or the sub CO who was bringing prostitutes back to his stateroom.

Some officers are Enlisted As gently caress at heart, in a bad way, with the false sense of invulnerability being a high ranking O gives you.

And they still face forced retirement as their worst "consequence".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Doesn't seem like it's a false sense, after all.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
You know that circumstance when someone's car is clearly hosed up, but they don't know it, and you have to drive past them really fast and start waving for them to pull over?

Don't think you can do that here without a fighter jet.

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1748355382303453692?t=U_Y7gT-_ZdbukdJJVoHTyg&s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

You know that circumstance when someone's car is clearly hosed up, but they don't know it, and you have to drive past them really fast and start waving for them to pull over?

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1748355382303453692?t=U_Y7gT-_ZdbukdJJVoHTyg&s=19

Oh trust me - the Pilots were aware, there's tons of sensors for fire and I doubt the engine was running properly and was showing it on the instruments.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
Yeah... At this point, I'm never willingly getting on an airplane again.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

pseudosavior posted:

im not 100% on the deetz, but the canadian forces bought their cc130h fleet in the 80s or 90s and they are still in service and flown daily. planes are so over-engineered, its bonkers. the plane probably doesnt even need both engines to fly.

skip to 1:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wHrfBs82Tk

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

CommieGIR posted:

Oh trust me - the Pilots were aware, there's tons of sensors for fire and I doubt the engine was running properly and was showing it on the instruments.

Oh of course, I'm just thinking about the filmer and people on the ground thinking about doing the equivalent of HEY HEY BUDDY, YOUR ENGINE IS ON FIRE

pseudosavior posted:

Counterpoint: not much can survive the poo poo that planes have been through without fatalities. Getting into the planes are a gigantic pain in the rear end, but once you're in them, they're safe as hell. Probably scarier when a car door blows off or an engine blows and you lose power on a busy freeway!

Edit: yeah like how loving wild is it that the plane only needs one engine to actually fly?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

All the “planes are actually really safe” stuff kinda goes out the window when a company like Boeing is found to be systematically undermining all the features and processes that enable that result

I’d say it’s good we’re discovering things before we lose planeloads of people due to Boeing’s value engineering but we did lose multiple planeloads of people because of it

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

There's still a solid order of magnitude between deaths per passenger mile in cars and the same stat for commercial planes. Not saying Boeing gets a pass on quality control, but it would take a lot of planeloads before flying wasn't the safest option for most trips.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Tiny Timbs posted:

All the “planes are actually really safe” stuff kinda goes out the window when a company like Boeing is found to be systematically undermining all the features and processes that enable that result

I’d say it’s good we’re discovering things before we lose planeloads of people due to Boeing’s value engineering but we did lose multiple planeloads of people because of it

Aviation has a perfect safety record. They've never left one stuck in the sky.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...but it would take a lot of planeloads before flying wasn't the safest option for most trips.

https://x.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1070521302652469248?s=20

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

McNally posted:

Aviation has a perfect safety record. They've never left one stuck in the sky.

Boooooooo

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Also, officially RIP Sports Illustrated. It's no longer just a branded husk of some remaining reporters and weird dietary supplements.

https://twitter.com/richarddeitsch/status/1748392933013795327?t=YOu5tMN-CaniL-1BDbg5Yg&s=19

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Atlas was the carrier who contracted for the rotator which got me to my deployment two weeks late because their planes kept catching fire.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Tiny Timbs posted:

theres a difference between all planes and boeing planes.

id never willingly fly on a non-military boeing

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

My Spirit Otter posted:

im not 100% on the deetz, but the canadian forces bought their cc130h fleet in the 80s or 90s and they are still in service and flown daily. planes are so over-engineered, its bonkers. the plane probably doesnt even need both engines to fly.

skip to 1:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wHrfBs82Tk

The Herc in general is designed to be able to limp to safety on only one of its four engines. It's a workhorse bird and it's very good at its job.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Stultus Maximus posted:

Atlas was the carrier who contracted for the rotator which got me to my deployment two weeks late because their planes kept catching fire.

OK WHICH ONE OF YOU FUCKS GOT PROMETHEUS IN MY ATLAS

and fun day for planes:

https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1748414891721961735?t=HQgBofORN6v5NTKBzBS7FQ&s=19

https://twitter.com/petemuntean/status/1748414446160969970?t=Ebm53ZnWUfG11dd5ywVq5g&s=19

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The Herc in general is designed to be able to limp to safety on only one of its four engines. It's a workhorse bird and it's very good at its job.

Douglas airplanes, in particular, were built like tanks. In February 2010, I flew from Detroit to Washington on a DC-9 built in 1968.

There was a strange juxtaposition on my last DC-9 flight in 2013 on a plane built in 1975 and equipped with wi-fi.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Uhh this poo poo seem like a real problem

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why was it allowed to take off the weather is absolute poo poo lol

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

yea, i was meaning the cargo plane over miami, not the herc. i only brought the herc up because ours are old as gently caress and still flying safely.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

theres a difference between all planes and boeing planes.

id never willingly fly on a non-military boeing

A new one anyway. All NG 737s at this point have been through depot maintenance checks at this point and so you aren’t relying on Boeing assembling it correctly anymore, you’re instead relying on the aircraft owner.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I’ve flown on a MAX 8 a couple times.

It was fine, but given the current MAX track records, I’d probably rather be on an NG800. There’s really no difference from a passenger experience perspective.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

yea, i was meaning the cargo plane over miami, not the herc. i only brought the herc up because ours are old as gently caress and still flying safely.

Lockheed was too good for civil aviation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
C-130s make for a comfortable, if loud, flight. Especially if you have stretchers setup

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

hobbesmaster posted:

Lockheed was too good for civil aviation.

That tri-jet design looks so loving cool

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

https://twitter.com/Norm_Macdonalds/status/1748415341460361317

Norm Macdonalds here has immediately zeroed in on the most important aspect to this story. Somebody get him a WP column.

hobbesmaster posted:

A new one anyway. All NG 737s at this point have been through depot maintenance checks at this point and so you aren’t relying on Boeing assembling it correctly anymore, you’re instead relying on the aircraft owner.

Not as encouraging as you might imagine, given the tendency under corporate profit-seeking to cut corners.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

C-130s make for a comfortable, if loud, flight. Especially if you have stretchers setup

The roll-in passenger seating was a treat as a little kid flying space-A around Alaska

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemniscate Blue posted:

https://twitter.com/Norm_Macdonalds/status/1748415341460361317

Norm Macdonalds here has immediately zeroed in on the most important aspect to this story. Somebody get him a WP column.

That would be a funnier burn if it was coming out of National, I don't think there are many paid parking lots in Loudoun County.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tiny Timbs posted:

Why was it allowed to take off the weather is absolute poo poo lol

Aircraft land and depart in poo poo conditions all the time. It’s literally common and normal.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Didnt Norm die?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Didnt Norm die?

A few years ago but his last name didn't end with an s.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
i think that blue check haver is probably not named norm or mcdonalds and his username is probably a dumb joke about the fast food franchise sounding like the comedians name. i will do more research and get back to you on this as soon as I can

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

real norm would have made a funny

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

fknlo posted:

Aircraft land and depart in poo poo conditions all the time. It’s literally common and normal.

woah no way

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

real norm would have made a funny

About that quality yeah. I can see why people would be thrown

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Stravag posted:

About that quality yeah. I can see why people would be thrown

Thrown like OJ's hands at his dead wife.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4Xf_pEL_Kk

they downgraded a pilot's pay from $55/hr to >$20 lmao

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Crab Dad posted:

Didnt Norm die?

Comedy-from BEYOND THE GRAAAaaaAAAaaaAAAVE!

Relatedly, (David was her BIL) I get shitloads of emails from Kate Spade after getting a Christmas present for my wife. Guess you have plenty of time to write marketing emails when you are dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Veep watch:

https://twitter.com/nicktagliaferro/status/1748149760299573320

Nick is right.

This is the most relatable moment anyone has ever seen of Harris.