Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Speaking of painkillers and Toradol, I went to the ED maybe a month or two ago because I was having some pretty severe abdominal pain radiating to my left flank. Now, this place has my entire medical history (the joy of Epic's EMRs) and they know that I'm on lifelong anticoagulation, and therefore NSAIDs are a very big no-no.

The doctor ordered Toradol, which is an NSAID. I wound up being admitted afterwards because a minor stomach bleed developed.

I was not happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Between Pitchfork being put under the GQ umbrella and SI just laying off all its staff been a bad week for publications I used to read all the time

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pain of Mind posted:

My wife and I make a decent amount of money, but we are in an odd place where we bought our house when markets were relatively down and have a low interest rate (2.6), but we have also outgrown our house. It does not make sense to buy a house where the monthly cost is 4x what our current place is just for 400 more sqft, but we also make much more money than is necessary to afford our current house so we are accruing a ton of money that is more than anything else would need, but still not enough for a nicer house (SF bay area prices go brrrrrrrrr). Just dragons sitting on a pile of gold at the moment.

People who like each other never "outgrow" their houses because they enjoy spending time in close proximity. Good luck!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
RIP SI

https://x.com/FOS/status/1748392317973643499?s=20

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah but it really really works.

If these loving dorks would stop listening to cops and stop overdosing their patients or stop giving it to people who are already bordering on cardiopulmonary collapse, ketamine might not have such a negative connotation in prehospital setting.

Bring back Thorazine imo

Really does feel like the copper wiring is being torn out, sometimes.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
RIP. Amazed they made it this long considering no one's needed a weekly magazine that has news from 4 days ago for at least 20 years now.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
SI for Kids growing up was incredible. I learned about so many random athletes/sports from that and they had those cool little cards.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, SI hasn't really had a place for a long while as a magazine, but you'd think like... writers, reporters and photographers should be the kind of thing that should seamlessly transfer to the internet, but we utterly failed at it, just completely gutted journalism and entire industries instead.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Sports Illustrated was the one doing AI written articles too right?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah. It's been a zombie publication for awhile, and pretty much suffered every debasement a former name could go through.

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

LeeMajors posted:

I’m not sure if you guys do chemical restraint (or if you do, what you use) but we switched to ketamine frontline many years ago.

Initially we used same dose for RSI and chemical restraint at 1.5mg/kg but for whatever reason the IM dosing increase first to 3mg/kg then to 4mg/kg. We have autonomy to lower our doses if we have good reasoning, but those are the official guideline dosages.

Thing is, I’ve never seen anyone that 1.5mg/kg didn’t level. Like, knees folding unconsciousness within ~30-60s.

I haven’t had to use it in awhile but I half dosed the last guy I sedated (combative powerlifter I thought might be having hemorrhagic stroke) because I’d already given him 10mg Versed (5mg x2 IM) with no effect. 2mg/kg ketamine had him nearly unconscious, and close to needing a tube.

It’s a pretty safe drug and I do like it, but these escalating doses are pretty nuts especially when most medics are so lovely at math and/or reasoning.

Having said all that, I think Haldol is coming sooner or later in our area for prehospital but I’ll prob be done before it’s here.

We use Haldol/Versed frontline with "Consider ketamine" right below. You can go right to ketamine if you can justify it (ie, you can't wait 15 minutes for them to chill out). Our sedation and RSI dose for ketamine are the same at 2mg/kg (double for IM).

I've only been doing this for less than a year, but I've already had enough times where I need to explain why fentanyl or ketamine are safe to people because of what they heard in the news. You would think having a monitor with a bunch of wires attached would be enough to indicate we're paying attention. But, like you said, dipshits out there doing stuff they shouldn't be doing.

RG3ESPN
Jan 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I spent my ten bucks. So i get my stupid paragraph...

What the gently caress do you all want in this world before you die? Most of you have uhhh what 20-30 years left to die on this rock?

And before you come at me. I don't know loving know either....

Everyone here should be grateful that you made it this far in life and you're not in the loving system. ( Tulip I love your cats/ vibes)

A lot of you posters get it. Some yeah. Have a good weekend.

Also come on Trump Is def winning 2024. Just lol.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Kalli posted:

Yeah, SI hasn't really had a place for a long while as a magazine, but you'd think like... writers, reporters and photographers should be the kind of thing that should seamlessly transfer to the internet, but we utterly failed at it, just completely gutted journalism and entire industries instead.

Yeah, it should have easily transitioned to being a Ringer/Athletic equivelent, but the management completely fell flat for a decade at making that switchover and has gone through multiple lovely PE owners desperate to suck every bit of value out of it without putting any investment into it

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lurk more

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

RG3ESPN posted:

What the gently caress do you all want in this world before you die? Most of you have uhhh what 20-30 years left to die on this rock?

Create the Holy Roman Empire in CK3

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kalli posted:

Amica has good customer service and isn't terribly expensive if you've got a clean record.

2nding Amica. They've done right by me multiple times for claims, including a total loss. They consistently score at or near the top in customer satisfaction surveys. I think shopping for auto insurance purely on price is a mistake, unless you absolutely cannot afford a couple hundred more a year or something. Look at surveys that include customers who have made claims. JD Power does one, there's probably others like Consumer Reports?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Forget up, strike the earth!

hell yeah

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I had an SI subscription from the early 80's.

Every Friday I was reading that poo poo from front to back cover. I had a entire 15x20x8' wall collage full of NBA dunk superstars that I'd cut out of SI with an exacto knife and placed into the right space of Jordan/Magic/Bird/Barkely/Robinson, with a few Dominque Wilkins and Larry Nances and other rando ballers from the mid 80's, and the remaining space was surfers and skater legends that had been captured in the magazine. I can't even remember why I took it down, but I did before I went to college and I haven't thought of SI since 1993.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

RG3ESPN posted:

Everyone here should be grateful that you made it this far in life and you're not in the loving system. ( Tulip I love your cats/ vibes)

lol

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
winter storm going to roll into the UK Sunday evening into Monday morning, 60mph winds and heavy rain

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

What I want most is to read more RG3 posts

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Kalli posted:

It’s not the content that has killed journalism, it’s management getting MBA Brain and ripping out brand cachet and future earnings for profits this quarter. Same as just about every other business that’s not a Wall Street bank or Walmart.

With a little vision SI could have become what The Athletic is now. Or at least it could have lived a little longer until the illiterate percentage of the population hits critical mass and kills all journalism.

Edit: or as it turns out, tl;dr what Glumslinger said

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

RG3ESPN posted:

"RG3SPN" works better IMO

Also I want to run more races before I get too old and weighed down by family duties to train well. Wife and I are due to have a conversation about kid #2 sometime in next couple of months and that feels like a soft timer for me to get the fast times that I still want.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

dirty shrimp money posted:

It’s not the content that has killed journalism, it’s management getting MBA Brain and ripping out brand cachet and future earnings for profits this quarter. Same as just about every other business that’s not a Wall Street bank or Walmart.

With a little vision SI could have become what The Athletic is now. Or at least it could have lived a little longer until the illiterate percentage of the population hits critical mass and kills all journalism.

Oh I get it, and I think it's a plague, hell look at what MBA's have done to loving Boeing.

Like you know we're just straight ripping the copper out of the walls and letting it all fall apart when the defense contractor and builder of most of the planes is doing cost cutting poo poo on everything it can and just having planes fall apart.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

RG3ESPN posted:

i just want an artisanal burrito and a consenting adult to eat it with

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

With a little vision SI could have become what The Athletic is now

Frantically hitting "save URL" before the halfassed javascript adblocker makes it harder to do and then pasting it into Archive.is is no way to go through life.

There are good magazines that still exist now, but they rely on great photography and feature stories that don't require "scoop" mentality.

RG3ESPN
Jan 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Before the Mods come!

All you guys have great football post, jobs, cool dogs, homes, and, I wish you all the best.

Great group of normal humans.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Ether Frenzy posted:

There are good magazines that still exist now, but they rely on great photography and feature stories that don't require "scoop" mentality.

Sad thing was, that was SI once upon a time. It was The Sports Magazine. Spun off of Time. That cover used to be a highlight of a photographer’s career - get a great shot and a few days later it’s in ten million mailboxes in full color. Launched a bunch of writers’ careers too. It’s just something that doesn’t happen in mass media anymore.

RG3ESPN
Jan 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
I forgot fascism still works on the internet..

Kali you one of my fav posters.

gently caress and DocJawls and Breast guy with bad breast or whatever.

Actually the whole AFC East thread lol.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Edit: or as it turns out, tl;dr what Glumslinger said

I dunno if The Athletic is the best example of what SI could be, considering they went from a one-stop-shop for all sports content to neutering it to pretty much only NFL and EPL content, with occasional college football stuff mixed in once the venture capital funds ran out.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

seiferguy posted:

I dunno if The Athletic is the best example of what SI could be, considering they went from a one-stop-shop for all sports content to neutering it to pretty much only NFL and EPL content, with occasional college football stuff mixed in once the venture capital funds ran out.

They still have pretty great basketball coverage

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Hi RG3

Bye, RG3

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

seiferguy posted:

The Athletic died because they were always looking for a buyout as opposed to trying to make a quality product. Had they grown it organically they likely could have kept all of that coverage. There are plenty of people willing to pay for quality content as long as the publisher isn’t trying to jerk the audience around. Hell, did you know that there sickos that pay $20+ a year to look at a glorified spreadsheet on Kenpom.com? :ninja:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

seiferguy posted:

I swear to God they run essentially the exact same piece about "how Craig Counsell is approaching his new job with the Chicago Cubs" every goddamn week, just with the paragraphs moved around here and there.

The Athletic also seems to have a weird limit on their writers in terms of article length. They don't do any long-form journalism, which is a shame.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Someone say ketamine?!? Ketamine is one my absolute favorite drugs. Its has so many uses and covers so many aspects that its one of the only drugs where you can do a surgery with as the lone agent. It is analgesic (eases pain), anesthetic (reduces awareness and consciousness), and has anti-convulsant properties on top of not affecting hemodynamics significantly. When the earthquake hit Haiti the anesthesia team from Miami just filled their bags with ketamine and did whole surgeries on picnic benches with it. It really is a wonder drug, and it has so many other uses! It is also starting to be used more and more for extreme asthma attacks which is new and exciting. As for depression, the research is very limited, but quite strong. In order to be effective, you need multiple therapies over the course of at least 6 weeks. When you get an infusion, you should also be engaging in some type of talk therapy in order to get the benefit. Usually you get a little bit, come up, talk for an hour, get some more, maybe do another session, then come down. So its not just a shot or even a simple infusion. It is very effective, but you need to block off a whole day for it, can't drive home, and have to do it for 6-8 weeks. That being said, it seems that compared to antidepressants that you do not need maintenance meds after the therapy (again, this is novel and still being studied so always follow the advice of the people doing this stuff). You also need to avoid all the microdosing and "infusion centers" charlatans out there. There are lots of reputable groups out there, they just are drowned out by the ones looking to make a buck.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
lol hell yeah just got offered a supervisory role for two new hires

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Need a concierge doc who can fill me with ketamine, Anavar, tbc-157 and other wonderful potions

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

It’d be cool if we could maybe create a society that doesn’t require people to be hopped to the gills 24/7 but alas

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The Glumslinger posted:

They still have pretty great basketball coverage

During their last layoffs, they got rid of the Mariners' beat writer, the UW Huskies beat writer, and the Kraken beat writer (who had already technically left because he saw the writing on the wall, but they announced they weren't filling the position). All that was left was Seahawks coverage. I canceled my sub shortly after.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

It is also starting to be used more and more for extreme asthma attacks which is new and exciting.

:staredog:

What is the mechanism of action here? Dosing/route? Is it a bolus or an infusion?

Severe asthmatics (and CHF exacerbations in extremis) are the rare calls that even really get my heart rate up anymore because they're *profoundly* sick and uncomfortable and the idea of dropping some ketamine on them while running a mag drip and bronchodilating under positive pressure sounds like actually pretty loving awesome and helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

:staredog:

What is the mechanism of action here? Dosing/route? Is it a bolus or an infusion?

Severe asthmatics (and CHF exacerbations in extremis) are the rare calls that even really get my heart rate up anymore because they're *profoundly* sick and uncomfortable and the idea of dropping some ketamine on them while running a mag drip and bronchodilating under positive pressure sounds like actually pretty loving awesome and helpful.

I don't know if you follow anyone on med twitter (or twitter at all) but there was a doc who posts pretty frequently about her adventuring and she had to be airlifted out of Yosemite (? Yellowstone? one of those majestic as gently caress places) due to a severe asthma attack and they gave her ketamine on the ride. Its a bronchodilator that acts faster and more reliably than steroids, and can be used when other conventional methods like beta agonists aren't doing the job. I think people like it because most emergency asthma treatments require inhalation of the drug which can be difficult for obvious reasons. An IV infusion is easy and doesn't require cooperation from the patient (i.e. a panicking child). It is still being studied but here are a few quick links:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6036522/

https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(21)01513-0/fulltext