Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

A lot of people were bothered when media started being shown that isn’t part of a users shared server when somebody searches for it, but that never bothered me - if somebody searches for something my server doesn’t have, and Plex wants to give them a link to Netflix or a paid stream, showing somebody where to watch it is convenient.

The minute they prioritize their results over my media is probably when I’d switch.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Joke is on you plex. I use infuse w/ plex so I never see the plex app UI. Unless something heinous happens, I will keep on trucking. Ain't teaching my moms something new.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I recently switched to Infuse as well after people in here talked about it and it's pretty great.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
if i'm taking a flight soon and I have subtitle files up on my server along with the video, how can I ensure I download the subtitles along with the movie for offline viewing?

on the ipad client if that makes a difference

also should i be using infuse to get around these stupid paid features of the plex UI, like streaming / downloading on the iOS client? can it connect to a hosted plex server?

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 19, 2024

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

It was me. I finally, after 8 years of use, bought a lifetime pass on Black Friday so of course now they poo poo the bed.

:smith::hf::smith:

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Does Jellyfin let me manually match single episodes which PLEX doesn’t and often drives me insane in weird edge cases? That alone might make me switch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

teagone posted:

For like the last few years there's always been something added to Plex that seems to put everyone in a state of doom and gloom, but so far none of those "features" have done anything egregious enough to make me abandon the platform. Maybe it'll happen eventually, but I'm again apathetic to this recent bit of news.

This.

I appreciate the emby/jellyfin updates folks do in here to keep us updated for when Plex someday enshittifies itself but for now its still working as well as it normally has been.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Yeah all the new things have made it slightly worse, but still not bad enough to jump ship. They have also added some great new features like intro skip in the same time frame so it’s evened out somewhat.

I just really wish we could fork Plex as it exists right now (minus discover). It’s basically as good as I’ll ever need right now and if it stayed this way it’d be great.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The only thing that has annoyed me on Plex is the change from orange corner unwatched -> green check watched. I like the orange corner way!!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Corb3t posted:

The minute they prioritize their results over my media is probably when I’d switch.

I guess the concerning thing about this latest announcement is that Plex now has a financial incentive to do exactly this. We'll see!

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.
While I agree that the rollout of the streaming platform stuff hasn't really changed too much, I have felt like there's been some dark design going on with the UI and I'm worried that this will just increase with the usual enshittification. I've definitely had people ask me why my movies had ads in them and almost every time it's because an update reset their home UI so that Plex's own "Movies & TV" tab is now at the top of the sources list instead of my libraries and I have to try and walk them through how to unpin it or re-order it. Hard to believe stuff like that wouldn't increase in the future as they look to drive traffic to their streaming service.

This does remind me though that I really should rename my server from "HTPC" to something that makes it more clear that it's specifically my server.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish
I use my server name at the beginning of every library name to avoid that exact problem.

Junipero-Movies
Junipero-TV

etc

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Scruff McGruff posted:

While I agree that the rollout of the streaming platform stuff hasn't really changed too much, I have felt like there's been some dark design going on with the UI and I'm worried that this will just increase with the usual enshittification. I've definitely had people ask me why my movies had ads in them and almost every time it's because an update reset their home UI so that Plex's own "Movies & TV" tab is now at the top of the sources list instead of my libraries and I have to try and walk them through how to unpin it or re-order it. Hard to believe stuff like that wouldn't increase in the future as they look to drive traffic to their streaming service.

This does remind me though that I really should rename my server from "HTPC" to something that makes it more clear that it's specifically my server.

derkflix is my servers name haha

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

kri kri posted:

Joke is on you plex. I use infuse w/ plex so I never see the plex app UI. Unless something heinous happens, I will keep on trucking. Ain't teaching my moms something new.

Hahaha jokes on you Plex! I only have to wait 20 days until I start seeing movies in infuse after it transcodes!

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 19, 2024

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Scruff McGruff posted:

I’ve had people ask the same regarding ads. When you search for a title it says either “on Plex” or “Bloopsy Server Name.” I’ve had a a couple people confused thinking if it’s “On Plex” that means it’s one of mine. I just made sure to hammer home to everyone to only select stuff from “Bloopsy Server Name” and to never select otherwise that is unless they want to self-flagellate with ads. It’s annoying that Plex mixes their crap in with mine in search but as long as the source is clearly identified then it should be okay imo.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
I can't imagine a scenario where Plex doesn't eventually remove the ability to play local media, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a condition of getting access to media company catalogs. Plex is a major part of media piracy, media companies would love to remove Plex. I just don't think it's next month because Plex also wants to keep user engagement but I think it will happen. I'm hoping Jellyfin catches up to Plex.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

gariig posted:

I'm hoping Jellyfin catches up to Plex.

I tossed a few bucks at the Jellyfin folks a couple months ago. Maybe I'll do that again.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I use Plex in my own house, from my computer to our TV through our LAN.

Are these changes affecting me? I don't think I've updated Plex in a few months, so I should just continue not updating?

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Plexamp has me locked in for life

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Plexamp is dope but deemix finally stopped working so I gotta get more familiar with band camp

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

hitze posted:

Plexamp has me locked in for life

Plexamp + multiple family members that are in their 70s and 80s have me ride or die for Plex too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Are these changes affecting me?

No, we're just wringing our hands at this point, because we don't have anything better to do.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I don't think I've updated Plex in a few months, so I should just continue not updating?

Do you like malware? If so, keep skipping updates.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

gariig posted:

I can't imagine a scenario where Plex doesn't eventually remove the ability to play local media, I wouldn't be surprised if that was a condition of getting access to media company catalogs. Plex is a major part of media piracy, media companies would love to remove Plex. I just don't think it's next month because Plex also wants to keep user engagement but I think it will happen. I'm hoping Jellyfin catches up to Plex.

They''d like just make it abandon ware by not adding features of fixing bugs.

If they are doing anything about piracy it will be the resellers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Are these changes affecting me? I don't think I've updated Plex in a few months, so I should just continue not updating?

We found the LastPass employee responsible for the breach.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Fozzy The Bear posted:

As a counter argument, I have updated my Plex and my system and clients are still great.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

As a counter argument, I have updated my Plex and my system and clients are still great.

My container auto updates :smug:

Can’t remember the last issue I had with a server release

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Same. Haven't noticed any front end changes much. I just have to tell new users to only select my libraries and disable/hide everything else unless they want the Jerry Springer 24x7 channel.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
What kind of user numbers do y'all have?
I have 28 friends/family with access, but like 8 who access it every month.
I'm using the Plex proxy and have everything else related behind tail scale.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
About the same, maybe 4-6 active users in any given month.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

13 active of 25 in the last week.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

Plexamp is dope but deemix finally stopped working so I gotta get more familiar with band camp

Still chugging along for me, though I found I can't queue multiple downloads or I get locked out of the website for a while. Grabbing one thing at a time still seems to work fine.

cruft posted:

No, we're just wringing our hands at this point, because we don't have anything better to do.

Do you like malware? If so, keep skipping updates.

I'm trapped on an old version because newer releases force i965 and that gives me light banding on transcodes :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

If you don't have your plex open to the internet then fine but if you do you should deal with fixing the light banding and stay up to date.

I know this is fun hobby stuff but poo poo can get very real very quick if you get breached.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I have like 4 people i share plex with and only one of those consistently uses mine. I also have Plex library shares from one goon I know and my brother in law

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

That Works posted:

I have like 4 people i share plex with and only one of those consistently uses mine. I also have Plex library shares from one goon I know and my brother in law

Do you have a port forwarded? If so you need to stay current. It's not those 4 users you need to worry about.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

Do you have a port forwarded? If so you need to stay current. It's not those 4 users you need to worry about.

Yes but im not advocating for version freezes itt either, mines current.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Yeah as much as I joked about just never updating, that's probably a bad idea.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

That Works posted:

Yes but im not advocating for version freezes itt either, mines current.

Whoops, sorry I'm jet lagged!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I have probably 30 users, and other than my immediate family, nobody ever watches anything. Whatever, I get to feel like I'm a nice person this way, and there's no bandwidth impact ;)

More than a few of them, we added so they could watch our extensive collection of Irish Dance Performance DVD rips. We were the first house on our block to not have a DVD player, and people thought I was weird for ripping everything to mkv/mp4 at the time. Now they're all clamoring for it :smug:

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

cruft posted:

Now they're all Riverdancing for it :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

13 active of 25 in the last week.

Almost exactly the same here, 12 of 25 in the past week. Those that use it tend to use it fairly heavily though, 10+ hours a week.