Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Nessus posted:

His friendliness with Rod feels natural. It's like a panda bear making friends with a mountain lion.

I miss Rod :(

At least we got to see him during Pat's psychedelic trip and the odd mentions in assetbar pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

moot the hopple posted:

I miss Rod :(

At least we got to see him during Pat's psychedelic trip and the odd mentions in assetbar pieces
I do not think Rod has perished but I do not he and Pat are in an active relationship to say the least.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I feel like it's an intrinsic part of showbiz's deal that if you presented him with something like a yogurt shop all to himself within 15 minutes everything not nailed down would be stolen and pawned for stereo parts

Hence what I said about straightening him out first, he'd still probably be trying to pull off some kind of really dumb side hustle cause the Kazenzakis tree always makes warped wood, but it would be a relatively harmless one

Admittedly the specificity of it being a yogurt shop is because I've been working at one for a little over two years now and it's exactly the kind of work environment that would be perfect for the Achewood cast to have shenanigans in(much like Subway had been used in the past)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Stringent posted:

didn't he try to install a camera in beef and molly's shower?

Yeah that's why Beef took him to a place where he couldn't resist doing something that would send him to prison for a month

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

"jinkety-assed homescript media player" comes to mind every time I interact with software of low quality

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

similarly whenever someone at a party breaks out a bottle of mezcal I immediately think "Dude you don't like Gusano Rojo, what you like is that you're holding something the police will fight you for"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

drrockso20 posted:

The sad thing about Showbiz is that yes he's a moron and a selfish jackass but it really wouldn't take all that much for him to turn things around and become a relatively productive member of society

You're not alone.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
Teodor exploring new frontiers in All Time Lows

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I legitimately cackled at the postscript on that letter.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Geez, poor Teodor.

Scags McDouglas
Sep 9, 2012

Yeah this utter low is the price we're paying to see the completed Penny arc and his unprecedented high.

e: Which reminds me, whatever happened there? It almost concluded on a good note and then randomly showed their future divorce.

Scags McDouglas fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jan 19, 2024

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
:lol: at that rent notice letter

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Do most rent due notices come with masturbation pro tips?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Only when Onstad is your landlord.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I hope Onstad never removes the symbols to reveal the true letters underneath :ohdear:

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

loving hell, Onstad.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Scags McDouglas posted:

Yeah this utter low is the price we're paying to see the completed Penny arc and his unprecedented high.

e: Which reminds me, whatever happened there? It almost concluded on a good note and then randomly showed their future divorce.

that was teodor catastrophizing and then deciding to take a chance on the relationship anyway

penny was binned and rightly so, that wasn’t achewood’s worst arc but it might have been its most embarrassing

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
What was the worst? To me it’s either Penny or the Thanatos Lash one.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Basically everything from High School and Ray Gets The DTs onwards is pretty much unreadable.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the parts of High School that are bad are bad. there's still some funny stuff in there.

Ray drying out isn't terrible, but I get why people find it terrible

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
The bicycle gave Nice Pete Beef on Golden Tabloid eyes :3:

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

The Chinchilla stuff

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Zefiel posted:

The Chinchilla stuff
Yeah that poo poo was weird and just felt like crap rather than 'oh, that didn't go anywhere, huh.'

like when Ray sold his eyes

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

T being forced to explore his sexuality in the back of a murder van is probably the low point of the comic if you ask me. Although "pot roast in estrus" is probably Onstad's worst line, and that's in the Penny arc. That whole era Wasn't Great, but it still had some memorable bits here and there among the more dire parts.

I just reread the Ramathustra Ron mini-arc and I have to confirm, it feels like Proper Achewood again. At some point I should drop the extra bucks for the non-comic bits as well, the comic-tier Patreon has been well worth it so far.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

RocketMermaid posted:

I just reread the Ramathustra Ron mini-arc and I have to confirm, it feels like Proper Achewood again. At some point I should drop the extra bucks for the non-comic bits as well, the comic-tier Patreon has been well worth it so far.

The writings from the extra tier have been really good, too. There was a piece on Pat about him dealing with his imminent break up with Rod that was a surprisingly empathetic portrait and still had some funny typical Pat moments.

I agree that the Achewood return has felt like real old school Achewood again. There hasn't really been any stinkers like the last time the strip came back for a bit before going dark. Maybe Onstad was able to shake the cobwebs loose after this hiatus or the Patreon and the new schedule has made it easier for him to do the comic.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Random thought I just had, Sondra must have chewed Ray out pretty hard after the Great Outdoor Fight for risking both his and Roast Beef's lives, probably was really proud of the two of them for winning though

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

The Brain Tape podcasters cooked up a whole elaborate theory that Sondra masterminded the entire GOF arc.

As with a lot of their theories, I don't necessarily agree with it and I think it misreads the characters a bit, but it's drat interesting and entertaining.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
Speaking of Brain Tape, they drop one episode of a new season and then radio silence for what's it been, a month now?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

SacrificialGoat posted:

Speaking of Brain Tape, they drop one episode of a new season and then radio silence for what's it been, a month now?

So it goes with them, I think.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

Basically everything from High School and Ray Gets The DTs onwards is pretty much unreadable.

that segment includes todd yelling "BALLS" so loud that he autodecapitates and I will defend that pair of strips to the death

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Nessus posted:

Do most rent due notices come with masturbation pro tips?
No, cumbrellas come with masturbation* pro tips.

*masturbating out the window pro tips

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roast Beef's gratitude journal is a late era strip that I really enjoy.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

moot the hopple posted:

I agree that the Achewood return has felt like real old school Achewood again. There hasn't really been any stinkers like the last time the strip came back for a bit before going dark. Maybe Onstad was able to shake the cobwebs loose after this hiatus or the Patreon and the new schedule has made it easier for him to do the comic.

Onstad 100 percent has his fastball back. classic-era quality

"spit once and gently caress romeo" lol

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Does anyone have a link handy to that old fan comic where the guys get together for Cornelius' funeral?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I'm of the opinion that the high school arc is the last great Achewood before the Patreon. Is it horrifying? Yes.

Christ, yes.

But that's why it's moving, affecting, and why the silly line art comic about stuffed animals made believers of a generation of the deeply online and probably depressed.

Ray gets the DTs, well, as someone who has a capital-R Relationship to alcohol personally and professionally, and the attendant friends and family who have had their own troubles to include those who never came home again, I am not going to judge someone's attempt at catharsis in a difficult reorganization of the self and spirit.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Rough Chuckles

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love the High School arc, mostly. I think the Nathan - Teodor situation is the low point, and that's just because the writing feels uncomfortable with itself around that point. It doesn't quite come down on whether this is something cathartic or awful, sincere or satirical, it just throws a sketch of a situation at the reader and then retreats from it. Everything with Nice Pete driving his van around trying to have a Normal Life Experience is the perfect mix of funny and deeply haunting, though.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The High School arc was okay but it flubbed the ending pretty bad IMO. 2016 Achewood at least got us some winners like Ray forgetting his mom's birthday and Ray having to explain abortion to Phillipe. Frankly this one comic handled the entire Ray Quits Drinking character arc better than the entire Ray in Rehab run.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Youremother posted:

Frankly this one comic handled the entire Ray Quits Drinking character arc better than the entire Ray in Rehab run.

might be the most solid four panel start to a comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Really hated that new font.