Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The D4 devs are super weird. They always talk as if they’re grudgingly giving in to players’ desire for the game to be more fun and rewarding.

“We listened and we’re going to make the rewards from X a little more rewarding.”

“We heard you and we’re going to increase the drop rate by 3%”

I wonder if working at blizzard just sucks so bad that everyone’s misery is reflected in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Sounds similar to the justifications given at the end of prior WoW expacs for finally changing X to entice people back.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

The reason for the gauntlet delay doesn't make sense either. For the ARPG no-lifers (me) the majority of the fun at the start of a season is the race to 100, race to be tops of the leaderboard, etc while people are still figuring out the meta builds. By the time these things drop it's all going to be known so that fun is gone.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

MrMidnight posted:

The reason for the gauntlet delay doesn't make sense either. For the ARPG no-lifers (me) the majority of the fun at the start of a season is the race to 100, race to be tops of the leaderboard, etc while people are still figuring out the meta builds. By the time these things drop it's all going to be known so that fun is gone.

yeah

I honestly can't tell if this is a strategic decision or if they don't have it ready for launch.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Ehud posted:

The D4 devs are super weird. They always talk as if they’re grudgingly giving in to players’ desire for the game to be more fun and rewarding.

“We listened and we’re going to make the rewards from X a little more rewarding.”

“We heard you and we’re going to increase the drop rate by 3%”

I wonder if working at blizzard just sucks so bad that everyone’s misery is reflected in the game.

My favourite is the guy that keeps saying he's "terrified" about increasing the damage of a skill. He did it again yesterday when he was talking about charge

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's because they think players have the same allegiance to classes in Diablo that they do in WoW and they'll be mortally offended if it turns out Druids do 4.20% more damage than them, instead of just rolling a Druid for that season.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

exquisite tea posted:

The game isn't mature or interesting enough to reduce the amount of bullshit. Instead Team D4 should be adding more bullshit. Unfortunately they all come from WoW so they think "keeping damage numbers in line" so that nobody exceeds 6.9% of estimated raid efficiency is an actual priority for an ARPG.

yeah this 100%. add bullshit that makes you strong and delete the bugs that make you do like 100,000,000,000 damage

on a kind of related note it is utterly inexcusable that the hitboxes on lilith fight are still messed up

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Correct way to play Arpgs is to rotate character every season

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I feel like playing the OP meta character this time so I might wait a little while to start

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I'm glad they're keeping the ladder since I just skipped season 2 when ennui hit. Then PoE ennui hit me too. Good season mechanic, super obnoxious time wasting implementation(rng spawns on quest triggers.)

So I could still do a real Druid run or finally the Necro run. :thunk:

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

Patch notes drop today so should we expect adequate theory crafting on "This is the broken bullshit you wanna play" prior to launch? I just wanna know what class to roll :(

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Herstory Begins Now posted:

I am dead serious about this: if d4 had released with powerful minion builds the game would've had a flat 2.0 higher user rating

like how tf do you target a game at casual gamer dads and not have the most casual gamer dad build be any good. that and turning the density way down were d4's two biggest own goals

this is all I wanted to play in this game leading into launch, and was pretty frustrated to hear that it's bad and it's because asmongold and like 3 other youtube freaks said it was too good at level 25 ?????? in the beta.

anyways the only things I'm really looking forward to in this season is seeing some funny clips of trap blow ups in hc, and the next season. maybe the probably funny social media fuckups along the way too

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

Patch notes drop today so should we expect adequate theory crafting on "This is the broken bullshit you wanna play" prior to launch? I just wanna know what class to roll :(

don't forget to like and subscribe to the dozen youtubers tripping over themselves to pump this content out immediately after the notes drop

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it really helps them out

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

Ehud posted:

yeah

I honestly can't tell if this is a strategic decision or if they don't have it ready for launch.

i think they have it ready, but they want to make people wait so people can grind out their ubers if they want to rather than it just being whoever gets the first shako or w/e. they said this ad verbatim about aoz in their firecamp, and that future events would take a similar approach.

if we're lucky they'll cave in on this next season, regardless of the reason for the late start.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Kaysette posted:

don't forget to like and subscribe to the dozen youtubers tripping over themselves to pump this content out immediately after the notes drop
My favourite thing about this is that searching for things like how does armour work gives you a bunch of videos that you don't realise were from the open beta until it gets halfway through and starts going on about 'guessing how it works after level 25,' and you realise you're wasting your time on info from prerelease, never mind a few patches ago.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

You can filter by upload date on YouTube

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Well that's a gamechanger.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Does POE have controller support? Would be really cool to play on the handheld PCs

That’s how I played Diablo 3 (switch) and currently 4 (ally rog)

It does, I've played a bunch on Steamdeck and it's pretty great. It has the usual obvious shortcomings of playing an arpg with a controller (inventory management), but the actual gameplay is much more fun with a controller than M/KB and works really well

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Papercut posted:

It does, I've played a bunch on Steamdeck and it's pretty great. It has the usual obvious shortcomings of playing an arpg with a controller (inventory management), but the actual gameplay is much more fun with a controller than M/KB and works really well

It absolutely chokes itself to death on even the lowest settings when you get in to the late game maps that spawn a thousand monsters and 8 million particle effects on the Deck, but it does that on a normal PC too. Just a lower bar.

Say what you will, I prefer POEs approach of taking huge swings and occasionally missing big (looking at you Kalandria league) over this constant boring and uninteresting inching toward balance the D4 team seems stuck on.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Bear pulverize is 100% based on overpower so I don’t see how bear doesn’t die if they nerf overpower

It was already heavily nerfed after their knee jerk bets weekend fixes

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Vegastar posted:

It absolutely chokes itself to death on even the lowest settings when you get in to the late game maps that spawn a thousand monsters and 8 million particle effects on the Deck, but it does that on a normal PC too. Just a lower bar.

Say what you will, I prefer POEs approach of taking huge swings and occasionally missing big (looking at you Kalandria league) over this constant boring and uninteresting inching toward balance the D4 team seems stuck on.

It runs far better on my Steamdeck than on my PC :negative:

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Tonetta posted:

i think they have it ready, but they want to make people wait so people can grind out their ubers if they want to rather than it just being whoever gets the first shako or w/e. they said this ad verbatim about aoz in their firecamp, and that future events would take a similar approach.

if we're lucky they'll cave in on this next season, regardless of the reason for the late start.

Yeah there's no hope for the 99.9% even when it's a weekly leaderboard if you're giving the blasters weeks or a month to prepare.

There is only false hope at the start of the season that they should peddle.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Notes up

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/diablo4/23964909/diablo-iv-patch-notes

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Overpower

Overpower attacks now gain +1% damage, down from +2%, per 1% of your Base Life you have in Fortify.
Overpower attacks now gain +1% damage, down from +2%, per 1% of your Base Life that you have in bonus life above your Base Life.

That seems like a 50% nerf

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

Overpower

Overpower attacks now gain +1% damage, down from +2%, per 1% of your Base Life you have in Fortify.
Overpower attacks now gain +1% damage, down from +2%, per 1% of your Base Life that you have in bonus life above your Base Life.

That seems like a 50% nerf

It's a 1% nerf!!!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
I'd love a rend/bleed barb build to be meta.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Balance changes don't seem too major butwhatdoiknowaboutanything

Overpower change is fine. It's ok if world ending demons die in 2 bonk instead of 1 bonk.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
It sadly makes overpower blood necro even weaker

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
What is this?

quote:

The Item Power ranges for items dropped by end-game bosses, such as Varshan and Zir, have been decreased for Rare and Legendary Items. Unique Item Power has not been changed. Examples (note that the current range for Unique Items was previously the range for all items):

- Varshan in WT3 (Level 55)
--- Unique Item Power Range: 675-750
--- Rare/Legendary Range: 650-725

- Grigoire in WT4 (Level 75)
--- Unique Item Power Range: 850-925
--- Rare/Legendary Range: 800-875

- Beast in the Ice (Level 85)
--- Unique Item Power Range: 900-925
--- Rare/Legendary Range: 850-925

- Duriel remains unchanged (always drops 925)

All monsters above Level 144 (Nightmare Dungeon Tier 90+) now are guaranteed to drop 925 Item Power gear.

They nerfed boss drops just because??

At least NMD90+ elites will now drop 925 guaranteed but that nerf seems so pointless

Jeff Fatwood fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 19, 2024

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

that is what I played (for like 3 weeks) this season. it was enjoyable, but definitely would not be with 50% damage

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jeff Fatwood posted:

What is this?

At least NMD90+ elites will now drop 925 guaranteed but that nerf seems so pointless

Guess they really want to push people to NMDs

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Jeff Fatwood posted:

What is this?

Basically the trash from those bosses are even worse now lmao? As if we weren't already swimming in auto junk blues and yellows already

Tokubetsu fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jan 19, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gonna make a juggernaut and disobedience build with flickerstep and just never die.

patch notes posted:

Enhanced Ball Lightning changed to have its attack rate increase with attack speed, up to 25%.
But you can still summon a shitload of them lol.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Tokubetsu posted:

Basically the trash from those bosses are are even worse now lma?. As if we weren't already swimming in auto junk blues and yellows already

Really having trouble understanding the mindset there. The stuff from those bosses was already pretty marginal most of the time. Why would I bother with them now, except that I'm grinding Duriel mats?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Say what? Time to buff overpower in Season 4!

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

McCoy Pauley posted:

Why would I bother with them now, except that I'm grinding Duriel mats?

Worse loot from mandatory bosses is the kind of the update the players sorely needed

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
reading the notes is making me sleepy, think i'm just gonna play a rogue to go fast and break things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Now I'm thinking ranged Rogue in SC. Some kinda ice and shadow build with the spider buddy going in for melee or just pouring on more status effects could be neat.