Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grand Fromage posted:

The Gathering is the pilot/first movie, yes. It is bad, people suggest you skip it because it's bad enough it's driven off viewers before. I would say watch it when you're committed to the show. Everything important is brought up later but it's still interesting to see the evolution of the show between pilot and series IMO.

Also, while it’s true that “everything important is brought up later”, in several cases, “brought up later” is a legitimately great callback if you’ve seen it and an annoying “wait what?” That characters have to explain to you on screen (and do) if you haven’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Truly, The Gathering is a land of contrasts.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Mega Comrade posted:

Thanks. I've been told by a few to skip the pilot, which I assume is thw first movie?

S1Ep3 born to the purple - a decent intrigue episode, decent world building. Horny human hitting on everyone was funny, especially toothy virgina face women. Landos acting is pretty hammy but enjoyable.
I say skip it - it's pretty bad. You can go back at the end of season 1 or something if you're committed. The first episode proper is a way better "first episode" - it's got a lot going on compared to the pilot.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If you're committed to watching the series, you should watch the pilot before you start season 2, but you don't need to do it right now.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Mega Comrade posted:

So I've never seen this. But I finished rewatching old trek and finished watching nu trek (except disco, bailed on that crap season 2) and people keep going on about this show and I was recommended this thread to post my thoughts.

S1Ep1 costume design is a mix of great too very budget looking, the makeup looks excellent though, special effects are awful. It's shows how much better practical effects hold up with age. Music kinda sucks. Sets seem to be a mix of ok and bad. Not an overly impressive first episode, but let's continue

S1Ep2 why are there space bums on this station? I guess I'm used to the utopia idea of Trek. Guessing capitalisms still going strong in this universe? The soulhunter would fit in fine in early next gen.

Wait this thing has movies when should I watch those?

Yesss...It begins again!

Please don't feel like you need to keep your thoughts concise in this thread, everyone in here lives for new watchers providing their takes and seeing how they evolve as the story/characters do.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I started watching the show early in season 2, back when it first aired. A little reference to the Lurker's Guide was enough for me to figure out what was going on. Obviously there's no reason to live like that today, but you can watch or not watch The Gathering and still enjoy the series.

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:
meh i usually do the movies at the end (even the pilot) (because im an ingrate)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The commanders called Jeff?
I don't know why I find the funny but I do.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S1.E4 ∙ Infection
Worst episode so far. boring and weak action. The suit wasn't to bad looking but the guy could clearly barely move.
when he instantly turned back to human at the end I laughed out loud, cmon atleast make it take a few days.

S1.E5 ∙ The Parliament of Dreams
Ok, back to world building. I laughed with the night time music.
Also why would he assume it's going to be 48 human hours, the tape just said 48 hours. surely you'd assume it meant Nard hours? But I enjoyed this episode

I commented before on the great makeup and prosthetics but I have to comment again, you have even extras walking around in the background who just look fantastic. It's a human run station, they could have kept 90% of the population human and saved money but they didn't, they sat an extra down and probably spent 2 hours putting makeup on them for them to be on screen for 5 seconds and it really helps set the world. But it's such a weird contrast to how slapdash many of the sets look.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 15, 2024

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mega Comrade posted:

S1.E5 ∙ The Parliament of Dreams
Ok, back to world building. I laughed with the night time music.
Also why would he assume it's going to be 48 human hours, the tape just said 48 hours. surely you'd assume it meant Nard hours? But I enjoyed this episode

The show takes a while to figure out how to present time (and differing alien methods of measuring time) consistently. You'll see a bunch of varying references to a "cycle" over the course of the first two seasons meaning anything from a day to a year with a number of definitions in between. It's one of those things that it's best not to get too hung up on - especially in the first season when JMS isn't writing every episode, and thus, you get some variation in how the characters are presented.

quote:

I commented before on the great makeup and prosthetics but I have to comment again, you have even extras walking around in the background who just look fantastic. It's a human run station, they could have kept 90% of the population human and saved money but they didn't, they sat an extra down and probably spent 2 hours putting makeup on them for them to be on screen for 5 seconds and it really helps set the world. But it's such a weird contrast to how slapdash many of the sets look.

B5 was done on basically a shoestring budget compared to other scifi of it's time. (This is why the show uses so much CGI for it's effects. Way cheaper than doing things with models like Star trek did!) Part of how they saved money was by having an extremely modular set in their warehouse soundstage - almost theatre like. All the walls and corridor panels were designed to be rearranged at the drop of a hat to create any part of the station whenever they needed it. Just swap out the signage, reconfigure the walls, and you have a whole new sector or whatever. On the one hand, it feels cheap sometimes, on the other hand, one thing the show hammers home repeatedly is that the station itself was, in fact, built on the cheap after a ton of budget cuts because the first 4 Babylon stations met unfortunate ends. So, it kinda works.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

That's interesting, I'd have thought in the early 90s models would have been cheaper than CGI.

S1.E6 ∙ Mind War
Pretty great episode. Did Garibaldi just commit PsySexual harassment? Haha Chekhov!
I've thought the Winters actor was a bit bad at times and it really showed against the guest actor playing Ironheart, he was great.
Good side plot with Ambassador too.

S1.E7 ∙ The War Prayer
Space facists. Interesting that the aliens act like this is behaviour they can't understand when they've shown racism in previous episodes. Suppose the isolationism here is a little different, some more fleshing out of other characters which I like to see. Dynamics and Relationships are starting to take shape

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 15, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Season 1 has some great episodes, and some not so great ones. It's a bit like most Trek seasons in that regard, though imho S1 B5 is still better than any first Trek season. But where it really ramps up quality is season 2, so even if you don't like some episodes now, it's very worth it to power through.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Oh don't worry I'm enjoying it. Even the not so good episodes are charming and I can see what they are trying to do even if they don't quite hit the mark.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mega Comrade posted:

That's interesting, I'd have thought in the early 90s models would have been cheaper than CGI.

Probably cheaper than good, Jurassic Park quality CGI for sure. But for the low poly video game grade graphics we see in B5? Absolutely a way to save a substantial amount of money. Maybe you pay a bit more upfront for equipment and designing your first few models, but it’s so much cheaper after that for every scene you use them in.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
IIRC they were one of the first outfits to use Amigas for their CG work, which made it cheaper and was cutting edge for a few years in that regard (good enough to be impressive at the time for cheaper, that is).

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

And as cheap as it may have looked, CG allowed the show to be far more dynamic that many shows of the time. The action and variety of the shots were, imo, better than many of the shots in most contemporary Trek episodes to that point, even if those looked better quality

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Lemniscate Blue posted:

IIRC they were one of the first outfits to use Amigas for their CG work, which made it cheaper and was cutting edge for a few years in that regard (good enough to be impressive at the time for cheaper, that is).

it was wildly impressive at the time for TV.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It improves very quickly too, which is fun. Season 1 looks real rough now but by season 3 the CG is pretty good.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the things Babylon 5 has going for it is that it's a setting that does a lot of work to make itself seem very crowded. Star Trek would often have empty corridors and the space shots it was rare to ever have more than 2 models onscreen at once. In Babylon 5, characters are constantly walking through crowded environments, and the space scenes are full of CGI ships bumping around.

The scales of ships in B5 would be nearly impossible to do with miniatures, since the station has to be looming large in the background. B5 space combat is fighter-based, so you constantly have teeny tiny ships interacting with massive ones.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mega Comrade posted:

Good models cost a lot. My memory is that you might see one or maybe two new models in a season. B5 ships didn't look as pretty but they could introduce new ones pretty freely.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
And camera movement of model shots, especially more than one in a shot, can be insanely complicated and the expertise to do it right was rare and expensive. As mentioned above, B5's space and ship shots were orders of magnitude more complex in number of objects and dimensions/axes of motion than any model shots of the era. TNG gets routinely mocked for slow, ponderous space battles, and DS9 didn't get out of that mold until they too switched to CG later in its run.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

They actually saved a lot more money and time than that. B5 had a repertory company of around a dozen actors who could do speaking parts plus a good few more to work as extras. This allowed the makeup department to create made-to-measure prosthetics for each actor with full head and shoulder coverage that could be donned very quickly and still look good in the background, or applied with a little more effort and precision if the character was going to be in full focus. The real problem was the Minbari, where the process was more standard; Lennier and Delenn they took their time on, but you'll frequently see a guest star Minbari whose head scarp is not properly glued down at the ends.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yep. Star Trek had more than double the budget of Babylon 5 and until it went CG, new ship models were rare. You could do fast kitbash stuff for the alien of the week, but models for the Federation or other guys who were going to be reused and thus had to be high quality? Not many of those.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jedit posted:

They actually saved a lot more money and time than that. B5 had a repertory company of around a dozen actors who could do speaking parts plus a good few more to work as extras. This allowed the makeup department to create made-to-measure prosthetics for each actor with full head and shoulder coverage that could be donned very quickly and still look good in the background, or applied with a little more effort and precision if the character was going to be in full focus. The real problem was the Minbari, where the process was more standard; Lennier and Delenn they took their time on, but you'll frequently see a guest star Minbari whose head scarp is not properly glued down at the ends.

Even Delenn and Lennier (especially Delenn) frequently have gaps.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S1.E8 ∙ And the Sky Full of Stars
Hey the commander gets kidnapped and psychology tortured! This seems familiar. It's not as good as Chain of Command but it does a good job and we get some great intrigue setup. This seems like the start of the shows famous overarching plots.

S1.E9 ∙ Deathwalker
DEATHWALKER!!
Makeup looks like the mid point in a werewolf transformation.
I recognised the voice and had to look it up and she was in Superman.
Seem to be making the Narn as a bit Clingon like which is welcome, like some alien cultural backstories.
Vorlons are into memory S&M or something?
Man earth command seem like a bunch of dicks.
That's a very German looking uniform you have their lady...

Chevy Slyme posted:

Even Delenn and Lennier (especially Delenn) frequently have gaps.

Speaking of, is that head thing decorative or bone like and part of their head? Look like they descended from Triceratops.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 16, 2024

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

Speaking of, is that head thing decorative or bone like and part of their head? Look like they defended from Triceratops.

It's part of their head.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S1:E10 - Believers

Space Jehovah witnesses!
I'm guessing the reference to the surgery on Kosh was the pilot?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mega Comrade posted:

S1:E10 - Believers

Space Jehovah witnesses!
I'm guessing the reference to the surgery on Kosh was the pilot?

That is correct, yes.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S1E11 - Survivors

Garabalti is like a budget space Mclain. Just needed a tank top to make the look complete.

S1E12 - By any means necessary.

For a while I thought this episode was gonna take an anti union stance, glad it was turned it around by the end.
I think I'm team G'Kar. He's conniving but Londo is just a dick.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Mega Comrade posted:

S1.E7 ∙ The War Prayer

It may be worth looking up the Twain short story this is named after if you aren't familiar with it:

https://www.people.vcu.edu/~toggel/prayer.pdf

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mega Comrade posted:

S1E12 - By any means necessary.

For a while I thought this episode was gonna take an anti union stance, glad it was turned it around by the end.
I think I'm team G'Kar. He's conniving but Londo is just a dick.

Babylon 5 is quite progressive, especially for it's time. This was for sure a satisfying payoff.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

S1.E13 ∙ Signs and Portents
Great episode. Lots of intrigue and the CGI was used to good effect here. What is that ambassador Kosh up to!

S1.E14 ∙ TKO
Silly episode with mostly no point. Ivanova backstory and development only saving grace.

S1.E15 ∙ Grail
A good episode slightly let down by some super dodgy CGI of the feeder. Garabalti showing his fashy side in this episode, desperate to beat up some homeless people.

S1.E16 ∙ Eyes

Great episode. Good villain, more background on the psycorps. And oh look a DS9 crossover! I wonder if we will get more.
Was surprised about the comment on gas ruining our atmosphere in 1993!

I'm starting to warm to the CGI now, it still doesn't look great but I can appreciate how they are using it in dynamic ways that old star trek couldn't with models.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mega Comrade posted:

S1.E16 ∙ Eyes

Great episode. Good villain, more background on the psycorps. And oh look a DS9 crossover! I wonder if we will get more.

There's one instance where a character doesn't come back to B5 because the actor was double booked playing a very similar character on DS9, but that's a ways in the future and works out well anyway. (There's another casting fuckup involved in the scenario, which ALSO works out well imo)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mega Comrade posted:

S1.E14 ∙ TKO
Silly episode with mostly no point. Ivanova backstory and development only saving grace.

A lot of people regard TKO as the worst episode of the entire show. (I'm with you on the point that the B plot was good, though.)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Powered Descent posted:

A lot of people regard TKO as the worst episode of the entire show. (I'm with you on the point that the B plot was good, though.)

The fan ratings on the Lurker's Guide put it as the second worst, just losing out to Infection.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Believers is the worst one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

MikusR posted:

Believers is great - way better than TKO or Infection. Sometimes you don't get to win.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

MikusR posted:

Believers rules because it's just such a naked "gently caress you, this isn't star trek, we don't get a happy ending just by siding with science over religion."

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Believers wasn't a great episode but certainly better than TKO.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Infection is the worst because there's no subplot that redeems it. It sets up some ideas but in and of itself, it's waaay below standard.

Other episodes often considered poor, such as TKO or Grey 17 Is Missing, are redeemed from bad A plots by strong B plots.