Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

if you extend cav to flying creatures, Tiktaq'to's terradons can get pretty nasty with their rock drops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
obviously this guy hasn't played with multiple wolf riders stacks as skarsnik roleplaying as the hobgobla khan (before the chorf dlc). sure you're not good, but nothing can catch you and there's a lot of weak arrows flying.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's cheating a bit of course, but Hawk Riders under the Sisters of Twilight.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
In general they have been very cautious on creating high tier missile cavalry, which I appreciate. Outriders are good, outrider grenades are great at mulching infantry, and the Marienburg AP grenadiers will murder any infantry you want to kill, but all of them notably do not have 360 degree firing arcs and will get murdered if caught in melee. They also don't have the stopping power to kill light cavalry so can be fairly easily chased off cost-effectively.

War Sleds are durable and decent chariots but also get mauled by AP fire and any decent cavalry. Their ranged damage also isn't anything to write home about.

I do feel like missile cavalry would be in a different place if missile fire was all flat trajectory since their extra mobility would be a lot more powerful, akin to how base outriders in WH1 had a role as essentially slightly weaker but far more flexible handgunners.

But beyond that, there aren't any AP ranged cavalry with 360 fire that I can think of besides war sleds, who aren't exactly ranged powerhouses. Every other AP ranged cavalry I can think of only has a forward firing arc, and most 360 firing cavalry either has lower range or lower damage or both compared to comparable ranged infantry.

E: I thing ranged axe marauders have AP 360 fire, but a low range and very limited ammo count.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Ravenfood posted:

In general they have been very cautious on creating high tier missile cavalry, which I appreciate. Outriders are good, outrider grenades are great at mulching infantry, and the Marienburg AP grenadiers will murder any infantry you want to kill, but all of them notably do not have 360 degree firing arcs and will get murdered if caught in melee. They also don't have the stopping power to kill light cavalry so can be fairly easily chased off cost-effectively.

War Sleds are durable and decent chariots but also get mauled by AP fire and any decent cavalry. Their ranged damage also isn't anything to write home about.

I do feel like missile cavalry would be in a different place if missile fire was all flat trajectory since their extra mobility would be a lot more powerful, akin to how base outriders in WH1 had a role as essentially slightly weaker but far more flexible handgunners.

But beyond that, there aren't any AP ranged cavalry with 360 fire that I can think of besides war sleds, who aren't exactly ranged powerhouses. Every other AP ranged cavalry I can think of only has a forward firing arc, and most 360 firing cavalry either has lower range or lower damage or both compared to comparable ranged infantry.

E: I thing ranged axe marauders have AP 360 fire, but a low range and very limited ammo count.

If we counting sleds, may as well count war wagons and scourgerunner chariots since they fill a similar niche of AP ranged chariot (and also aren't very good as dedicated ranged AP). Also I forget - do deck droppers shoot 360 or are they front arc only?

Centigors with throwing axes are ap and functionally similar to marauder horsemen axes too.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

As a player whose tactical control and micro skills are abysmal, I think good cavalry archers probably represent a bigger threat than their on-paper stats would suggest because of their potential for very tactical and flexible maneuvering. They can be countered, but they'd either demand that your opponant match your attention and control (to avoid getting kited around) or commit an overkill of resources. It can also make the AI seem suddenly much harder, since even mildly effective use of ranged cavalry demands the player ratchet up their attention.

I already found fighting the Wood Elves like crashing into a brick wall, just because I'd gotten so used to headbutting my enemies with a horde of overwhelming infantry. Even more effective missile cavalry would be an outsized challenge for players in the middle skill levels.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

if you extend cav to flying creatures, Tiktaq'to's terradons can get pretty nasty with their rock drops

From the heavens. With rocks. Screaming.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

If they every do a DLC for Kislev fleshing out the Ungols more I figure high-level missile cav are a given. Throw in a good melee-inclined hero and a hybrid lord ala Alith Anar, maybe some mid- and high-level foot archers similar to Lothern Seaguard

As with any ultra powerful unit you can solve the 'why use anything else' equation by not clicking on them while opening the recruitment window. This also works with Sisters of Avelorn or any number of other insanely broken ranged units that already exist in the game

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
fimir need paddles. with scopes, natch

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Lord Koth posted:

It's cheating a bit of course, but Hawk Riders under the Sisters of Twilight.

The new update to magic missiles has actually made them pretty bad. Since the shots don't spread out they no longer do a ton of damage to enemy units with arrows of kurnos.

Before you could instantly annihilate your enemy's ranged presence, which made up for their lackluster shooting. Now you can't, and they trade really poorly with ground range units or antilarge once they run out of ammunition.

I'm not convinced they are worth recruiting anymore. Especially compared to all of the other absolutely top tier wood elf units.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the issue w/high AP cav or missile chariots is that when overtuned, they dominate. Depends on how tedious you wanna be in mp but you can basically pick apart the enemy, even one that counters you w/shields.

the DE chariots with the ballista shots was way too powerful in that regard at first and also shields didn't block it

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

If Tiktaq'to (and Lizardmen in general) had more interesting campaign mechanics, he would probably be my favorite LL, because creating a Dinosaur Air Force is both incredibly funny and incredibly fun to play.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
ellyrian reavers are pretty good horse archer cavalry.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

If Tiktaq'to (and Lizardmen in general) had more interesting campaign mechanics, he would probably be my favorite LL, because creating a Dinosaur Air Force is both incredibly funny and incredibly fun to play.

highly recommend the extended dino mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3079850881

it adds a caravan-like mechanic where you send out parties to go hunt creatures to recruit back into your main armies. there are even boss encounters for the caravans that unlock special unique units

been having a complete blast with this mod. it even adds a bunch of missile cav that have insane projectiles too :v:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Insurrectionist posted:

I actually kind of forgot Outriders, they are probably a bit closer than Horsemasters but still fall a bit short for me. Mostly down to being purely ranged (truly pathetic melee stats) but only having 20 ammo, doesn't go as far as you'd like.

If pistoliers had high MA/charge they'd actually be worth using, but most of the time pistoliers are out-meleed by enemy crossbows, making them useful only for light support damage on already-engaged melee and rear-charges for morale reasons. They'll get chewed up by any enemy melee unit, including dogs/bats/etc., and are useless against any armored unit.

Outriders do more damage per second than handgunners (they fire faster for marginally less damage). They're weaker than pistoliers in melee, though, which is a trip. Mostly when they're out of ammo (and they run out of ammo stupid quickly) I use them to ride down retreating units or do a rear-charge for morale reasons (they will get mulched by any melee unit in the game if they stay in melee). They're also nigh-useless in a siege compared to handgunners that punch WAY WAY WAY above their weight on a wall.

Both of them loving suck compared to horsemasters (throwing axes) who do stupid strong, arcing AP damage from ranged and also have better melee stats across the board AND they're shielded.

Also, I'm not sure if everyone is aware but shooting dudes in the back triggers a -16 leadership penalty which is loving huge.

jokes fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jan 19, 2024

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Nash posted:

From the heavens. With rocks. Screaming.

:hai:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

highly recommend the extended dino mod https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3079850881

it adds a caravan-like mechanic where you send out parties to go hunt creatures to recruit back into your main armies. there are even boss encounters for the caravans that unlock special unique units

been having a complete blast with this mod. it even adds a bunch of missile cav that have insane projectiles too :v:

Yeah a lizards playthrough with this is next on my list. I gotta figure out which LL to play though, since last I checked it didn't work with Nakai.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Psycho Landlord posted:

:hai:

Yeah a lizards playthrough with this is next on my list. I gotta figure out which LL to play though, since last I checked it didn't work with Nakai.

i recall reading somewhere that there is a submod that allows it to work with nakai, but i dont know where that is

def would love to do a nakai playthrough with this mod, though that might be tough since these dinos are insanely expensive

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

yeah sure the cav units are fine and all

but it has laser dinos. I don't just mean laser dinos like the original game "Fires a bolt of light" dino, I mean big gently caress off beam dinos. Mod kicks rear end.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
horsemasters get mown down by guns.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

ellyrian reavers are pretty good horse archer cavalry.
They are, honestly. They have the armor to trade with non-AP infantry ranged, the melee stats to charge them if shooting is a poor trade, the speed to avoid heavy cavalry, the melee stats, armor, and ranged damage to defeat light cavalry/dogs, and generally just hold their own.

They just don't do enough damage en masse to really feel like a doomstack and won't do poo poo against armor.

If they do make a high-tier Ungol horse archer unit, I'd hope they'd at least look at Reavers for a base. Maybe horsemasters too since they are pretty decent as well. They are good, but not absurdly powerful when doomstacked.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
the superior ranged cav is war wagons

das hipster
Mar 7, 2005

Third World Reagan posted:

the superior ranged cav is war wagons

The superior ranged cav is Lord Kroak.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006

Log082 posted:

yeah sure the cav units are fine and all

but it has laser dinos. I don't just mean laser dinos like the original game "Fires a bolt of light" dino, I mean big gently caress off beam dinos. Mod kicks rear end.

I'm playing a nakai game now with that mod, and it makes him insanely strong because you can get them a lot faster than you would with the expeditions. The dinos really perform well in autoresolve too. I do want to play a tiktaqto game and do an all flying army but I'm bored of the Southlands at the moment.

There are so many versatile dinos you can make any kind of army you want. Makes the regular lizardman roster seem more boring though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tankbuster posted:

horsemasters get mown down by guns.

Everything does

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
life didn't find a way when the rats hucked a moon at you geese

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cranappleberry posted:

life didn't find a way when the rats hucked a moon at you geese

No, lizards did

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Re: ranged cavalry units. These have to be carefully balanced with consideration to multi-player play. While war wagons were seen as a terrible meme unit in SP campaigns, they were simultaneously considered overwhelmingly powerful in MP. Scourgerunner chariots too for the same reasons. You have to be careful making a mobile, armored, armor-piercing unit with fire while moving because you risk making everything else obsolete

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That was kind of what I was getting at but you said it a lot better

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

rideANDxORdie posted:

Re: ranged cavalry units. These have to be carefully balanced with consideration to multi-player play. While war wagons were seen as a terrible meme unit in SP campaigns, they were simultaneously considered overwhelmingly powerful in MP. Scourgerunner chariots too for the same reasons. You have to be careful making a mobile, armored, armor-piercing unit with fire while moving because you risk making everything else obsolete
MP has this lever that can be used to deal with this kind of thing: gold cost

I'm sick of hearing that units need to be balanced for MP. No they dont. Make good units for this game where 99%+ of the playerbase does not play competitive battles. If they're good in MP - make them cost more gold if you want to use it in MP.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
On the flip side literally every unit works in SP so if you wanted to make a 15 stack of war wagons you could do it, right now, and absolutely crush the AI.

So why bother balancing for SP where everything can be broken due to lord skills, techs, rites, items, etc. All of the ranged cavalry units discussed in the last page are perfectly usable in campaign already

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

rideANDxORdie posted:

On the flip side literally every unit works in SP so if you wanted to make a 15 stack of war wagons you could do it, right now, and absolutely crush the AI.

So why bother balancing for SP where everything can be broken due to lord skills, techs, rites, items, etc. All of the ranged cavalry units discussed in the last page are perfectly usable in campaign already
O...k? I never said balance for SP. I said make SP fun then balance said fun units via gold cost. "You have to balance units for the 5 dozen people that play the competitive multiplayer of the primarily single player game that what, a hundred thousand people own?" is loving stupid. I dont give a poo poo if they make a horse archer fun via skills, items, or its OP by default, just make fun poo poo!

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

O...k? I never said balance for SP. I said make SP fun then balance said fun units via gold cost. "You have to balance units for the 5 dozen people that play the competitive multiplayer of the primarily single player game that what, a hundred thousand people own?" is loving stupid. I dont give a poo poo if they make a horse archer fun via skills, items, or its OP by default, just make fun poo poo!

Yeah multiplayer is an absolute sideshow for TW. Making good SP campaigns impacts way, way more players. Anything that makes elite units more scarce and valuable improves campaigns IMO. What happens with ROR where when they die there's a cooldown to recruitment could be spread further. Would make losing elites actually matter more than just the gold and 3 turns.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
all multiplayer balance is part of the advertising budget

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The only important balancing environment is single-player, because that’s where everyone plays. Multiplayer balancing is just a matter of gold cost / tier slots / whatever, and it is effortless to do. It hardly impacts anyone in any case. I’m usually pretty sympathetic to niche player groups, but frankly we’re talking about dozens of people compared to tens of thousands of singleplayer users. In any case, anything that works for single player will work for multiplayer.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
nah its not that simple. Enough gold reductions won't make the shredder of lustria worth taking lol and units that are too good do make other poo poo obsolete. For example, iunno, a recent update to kislev

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can war wagons shoot over your melee troops on a flat plane or are they still mostly useless

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
I learned while playing a Teclis game that there is an elf chariot whose ranged attacks split off in a burst effect, they seemed pretty good. I've thought about doing a wood elf game with Orion too using only cavalry, I think they have the best duo of ranged and heavy cavalry.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Third World Reagan posted:

all multiplayer balance is part of the advertising budget

also dis

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
The problem with balancing for multiplayer is that the whining never stops and the devs end up nerfing every loving unit in the game in sequence. They nerf something, and then another "OP" unit no longer has that nerfed unit holding it in check so they have to nerf another unit, and so on and so on. Look at the Shogun 2 patch notes from release to the end, they nerfed everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

jokes posted:

If pistoliers had high MA/charge they'd actually be worth using, but most of the time pistoliers are out-meleed by enemy crossbows, making them useful only for light support damage on already-engaged melee and rear-charges for morale reasons. They'll get chewed up by any enemy melee unit, including dogs/bats/etc., and are useless against any armored unit.

Outriders do more damage per second than handgunners (they fire faster for marginally less damage). They're weaker than pistoliers in melee, though, which is a trip. Mostly when they're out of ammo (and they run out of ammo stupid quickly) I use them to ride down retreating units or do a rear-charge for morale reasons (they will get mulched by any melee unit in the game if they stay in melee). They're also nigh-useless in a siege compared to handgunners that punch WAY WAY WAY above their weight on a wall.

Both of them loving suck compared to horsemasters (throwing axes) who do stupid strong, arcing AP damage from ranged and also have better melee stats across the board AND they're shielded.

Also, I'm not sure if everyone is aware but shooting dudes in the back triggers a -16 leadership penalty which is loving huge.

This was what ranged cav was for in older TW games. You would engage the line then have a cantabrian circle plink away at the rear to give big morale losses so their line would falter and you could sweep. I feel like a lot of people could benefit from playing old battle scenarios and learning how to use oblique orders and similar in TW engines.