Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Pain of Mind posted:

My wife and I make a decent amount of money, but we are in an odd place where we bought our house when markets were relatively down and have a low interest rate (2.6), but we have also outgrown our house. It does not make sense to buy a house where the monthly cost is 4x what our current place is just for 400 more sqft, but we also make much more money than is necessary to afford our current house so we are accruing a ton of money that is more than anything else would need, but still not enough for a nicer house (SF bay area prices go brrrrrrrrr). Just dragons sitting on a pile of gold at the moment.

Expansion is the way to go. We turned our 2bd/1ba into a 4bd/2ba in the Bay Area because the cost of just buying the 4/2 in the first place was outrageous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

A fire truck with its lights on behind your airplane is not a good thing, right?

:ohdear:

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

swickles posted:

I don't know if you follow anyone on med twitter (or twitter at all) but there was a doc who posts pretty frequently about her adventuring and she had to be airlifted out of Yosemite (? Yellowstone? one of those majestic as gently caress places) due to a severe asthma attack and they gave her ketamine on the ride. Its a bronchodilator that acts faster and more reliably than steroids, and can be used when other conventional methods like beta agonists aren't doing the job. I think people like it because most emergency asthma treatments require inhalation of the drug which can be difficult for obvious reasons. An IV infusion is easy and doesn't require cooperation from the patient (i.e. a panicking child). It is still being studied but here are a few quick links:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6036522/

https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(21)01513-0/fulltext

Man, that rules. Loading dose of 0.3-0.5mg/kg with a maintenance infusion repeat over 30min.

We've got so few tools beyond the basics in the field. Luckily severe bronchospasm is ~*~fairly~*~ rare in that recognition and aggressiveness usually gets some traction. But once it comes to severe cases we just intubate, updraft duoneb, run mag, bolus steroids and haul rear end to the hospital.

I've gotten some response to refractory bronchospasm with your sort of standard anaphylactic dose IM Epi in the field, but you've got a narrow band before you're pushing them to VT arrest due to oxygen demand. We used to carry terbutaline but onset of action is excruciating.

Any tools to keep these folks off the vent are welcome, but it probably won't trickle down to the streets until the seas are boiling.

What airport? Might just be a medical emergency and most airports seem to dispatch fire resources airside vs streetside if they have on-site services.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Freaquency posted:

It’d be cool if we could maybe create a society that doesn’t require people to be hopped to the gills 24/7 but alas

On the other hand,

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

LeeMajors posted:

Man, that rules. Loading dose of 0.3-0.5mg/kg with a maintenance infusion repeat over 30min.

We've got so few tools beyond the basics in the field. Luckily severe bronchospasm is ~*~fairly~*~ rare in that recognition and aggressiveness usually gets some traction. But once it comes to severe cases we just intubate, updraft duoneb, run mag, bolus steroids and haul rear end to the hospital.

I've gotten some response to refractory bronchospasm with your sort of standard anaphylactic dose IM Epi in the field, but you've got a narrow band before you're pushing them to VT arrest due to oxygen demand. We used to carry terbutaline but onset of action is excruciating.

Any tools to keep these folks off the vent are welcome, but it probably won't trickle down to the streets until the seas are boiling.

What airport? Might just be a medical emergency and most airports seem to dispatch fire resources airside vs streetside if they have on-site services.

Yeah, I think in the case of airlifting someone out of a national park the EMS are given a lot more latitude because the "haul rear end to the hospital" part is severely compromised. Still something to have in your back pocket for when poo poo goes real far south.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Went to Costco. Spent $250. Is it impossible to get out of there for under $100?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

trilljester posted:

Went to Costco. Spent $250. Is it impossible to get out of there for under $100?

Hell, I'm impressed you made it under $300!

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm usually easily over five hundo with the booze run factored in. This is a every-two-months-or-so level occurrence though and often involves non-consumable purchases.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

LeeMajors posted:

Chicago Midway. Funny enough my delay is more waiting for passengers whose other flights were delayed so we're waiting for them.

It's clear & cold out here in the Midwest. Marginally better than being cold & icy in the PNW.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

swickles posted:

Someone say ketamine?!? Ketamine is one my absolute favorite drugs. Its has so many uses and covers so many aspects that its one of the only drugs where you can do a surgery with as the lone agent. It is analgesic (eases pain), anesthetic (reduces awareness and consciousness), and has anti-convulsant properties on top of not affecting hemodynamics significantly. When the earthquake hit Haiti the anesthesia team from Miami just filled their bags with ketamine and did whole surgeries on picnic benches with it. It really is a wonder drug, and it has so many other uses! It is also starting to be used more and more for extreme asthma attacks which is new and exciting. As for depression, the research is very limited, but quite strong. In order to be effective, you need multiple therapies over the course of at least 6 weeks. When you get an infusion, you should also be engaging in some type of talk therapy in order to get the benefit. Usually you get a little bit, come up, talk for an hour, get some more, maybe do another session, then come down. So its not just a shot or even a simple infusion. It is very effective, but you need to block off a whole day for it, can't drive home, and have to do it for 6-8 weeks. That being said, it seems that compared to antidepressants that you do not need maintenance meds after the therapy (again, this is novel and still being studied so always follow the advice of the people doing this stuff). You also need to avoid all the microdosing and "infusion centers" charlatans out there. There are lots of reputable groups out there, they just are drowned out by the ones looking to make a buck.

I am K-holio, I need treatment for my brain hole.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

trilljester posted:

I do it all the time. Granted, it's just me and I'm swooping in to restock frozen fruit for my smoothies and any big bags of veggies they've got.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

https://youtu.be/xuPNmXtomNw?si=6cS12c5YLiL32Xru

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

So I did an experiment and went off my Vraylar for 2 weeks just to see how I would handle myself. I felt good and more active, like I wasn't being subdued mentally (also I ate less). But I noticed I was also more prone to spending and mood switches but nothing extreme happened thankfully. I'm scared to bring this up with my shrink (though I know I should) because she'll probably get mad at me, but I feel like this is a sign I need to rejigger my dose or supplement my meds somehow. I don't know. Bipolar is weird. I might have just been in a good mood by default and just got lucky nothing bad happened in my life to spiral me. gently caress. It's hard to explain but I feel like the Vraylar, as useful as it seems to be at stopping manic episodes, leaves a slightly gray shade over my life.

Sorry just ranting. This isn't something I feel comfortable talking about in real life yet.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

wandler20 posted:

Hell, I'm impressed you made it under $300!

Me too. We did pick up some paper towels and TP so I don't normally factor those into every Costco run. Some of the deals there are hard to beat anywhere else.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

So I did an experiment and went off my Vraylar for 2 weeks just to see how I would handle myself. I felt good and more active, like I wasn't being subdued mentally (also I ate less). But I noticed I was also more prone to spending and mood switches but nothing extreme happened thankfully. I'm scared to bring this up with my shrink (though I know I should) because she'll probably get mad at me, but I feel like this is a sign I need to rejigger my dose or supplement my meds somehow. I don't know. Bipolar is weird. I might have just been in a good mood by default and just got lucky nothing bad happened in my life to spiral me. gently caress. It's hard to explain but I feel like the Vraylar, as useful as it seems to be at stopping manic episodes, leaves a slightly gray shade over my life.

Sorry just ranting. This isn't something I feel comfortable talking about in real life yet.

I'm not your shrink but every family member I've had who has had therapy has used "they will be mad at me" as an excuse to not tell their shrink something and it is always, always excuse-making and not a legitimate reason.

If you're literally scared of your shrink being mad because they actually get mad at you, you need a new shrink. You should not be doing or not doing things based on your shrink's feelings or moods. They're there to help you. They can't help you if you're not honest with them. Being honest about the things you did is the only way you can get good advice. You must trust your shrink well enough to be honest so you can get good advice.

e. just as in this example, for example, what your psych needs to know is "the side effects of this med isn't tolerable for me" because you're acknowledging right here that the meds are effective at controlling your manic episodes but the ongoing feeling you have when on them is unpleasant or distressing enough to make you want to stop. Your psych can only help you find a med that works for you both in terms of symptoms and in terms of side-effects, if you're honest that you stopped the med and why.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jan 19, 2024

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

I'm not your shrink but every family member I've had who has had therapy has used "they will be mad at me" as an excuse to not tell their shrink something and it is always, always excuse-making and not a legitimate reason.

If you're literally scared of your shrink being mad because they actually get mad at you, you need a new shrink. You should not be doing or not doing things based on your shrink's feelings or moods. They're there to help you. They can't help you if you're not honest with them. Being honest about the things you did is the only way you can get good advice. You must trust your shrink well enough to be honest so you can get good advice.

I should have mentioned that she's my new shrink. The one I've been seeing previously for years is no longer in-network so I find myself having to build trust from scratch all over again. But I do think you're right. It helps to hear it from someone else. Thank you.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I should have mentioned that she's my new shrink. The one I've been seeing previously for years is no longer in-network so I find myself having to build trust from scratch all over again. But I do think you're right. It helps to hear it from someone else. Thank you.

There are a lot of options out there to treat bipolar. It can be scary switching it up once you find stability, but its worth it if you are having side effects. At least you have a fall back, that if a new agent doesn't work out, you can always go back on this one until you get to a place where you can try again.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's tough and working out with a new psych is a process, not easy, and I totally get that it's hard to just spill the beans with someone who is basically a stranger.

And navigating the insurance thing sucks massively. You have my sympathy for sure. Just try to remember that no matter what response your doctor might have emotionally to your information, if you hide things or aren't honest then the doctor just doesn't have the information they need to be helpful to you and that's more important than whether they'll be mad or disappointed or whatever.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Anyone run a data line in their house? It seems relatively easy, but looking for any advice or things to watch out for. Essentially my issue is that I'm getting a fiber line run into my house, but they need to put it in the basement. The previous owners had a coax cable run onto the 2nd floor, but the installer isn't really able to follow the same path because it goes up and over my roof. So my thought is I put my modem in the basement and then run a CAT6 cable to a data port on the 2nd floor where my stuff is now so I can still keep my router in the same spot. I want to keep it there because this is where my desktop is and it's also close to my wife's office, so it's where most of our internet use is happening.

Leaving it in the basement isn't the end of the world, but it would be better on the 2nd floor. I have a path to fish a line from my basement to this spot, so that shouldn't be a huge hassle. I can get from the basement up next to a duct chase up to the attic and then back down to where I want the outlet. There's actually an existing phone jack here and I'm hoping I could possibly just reuse that and pull the ethernet cable by using the old phone line.

I should probably take this over to DIY though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bird in a Blender posted:

Anyone run a data line in their house? It seems relatively easy, but looking for any advice or things to watch out for. Essentially my issue is that I'm getting a fiber line run into my house, but they need to put it in the basement. The previous owners had a coax cable run onto the 2nd floor, but the installer isn't really able to follow the same path because it goes up and over my roof. So my thought is I put my modem in the basement and then run a CAT6 cable to a data port on the 2nd floor where my stuff is now so I can still keep my router in the same spot. I want to keep it there because this is where my desktop is and it's also close to my wife's office, so it's where most of our internet use is happening.

Leaving it in the basement isn't the end of the world, but it would be better on the 2nd floor. I have a path to fish a line from my basement to this spot, so that shouldn't be a huge hassle. I can get from the basement up next to a duct chase up to the attic and then back down to where I want the outlet. There's actually an existing phone jack here and I'm hoping I could possibly just reuse that and pull the ethernet cable by using the old phone line.

I should probably take this over to DIY though.

I'd be concerned about leaving a relatively sensitive device like a modem in a high-moisture / high-humidity environment like a basement.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Definitely talk with them. Finding the right dose or best medicine for treatment can take time and you should feel comfortable discussing with your psychiatrist.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Bring this up. They will not be mad. If you want a more indepth convo with someone on the internet, DM me.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Shrinks and lawyers: do not lie to them. I used to say doctors too but my friend asked a doctor if it was OK to smoke weed occasionally while pregnant and apparently that doctor told her birth network or whatever and they immediately started demanding weekly drug tests or else they would drop her. I've had other instances of people being honest with their doctors leading to more surveillance and judgement-laced notes in their medical file.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Timby posted:

I'd be concerned about leaving a relatively sensitive device like a modem in a high-moisture / high-humidity environment like a basement.

Good point, but my basement is mostly conditioned. It will be slightly higher humidity than my house in the summer, but it’s not going to get like 90% RH or anything. The modem will also be installed above the foundation wall, so water seepage shouldn’t be an issue.

Unfortunately, I don’t have a great spot to put it on the first floor and getting to the second floor is a significant challenge.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Yeah you are all very right. I am being a wuss. I set up an appointment for next Tuesday to discuss this specifically. Thanks for the push and support!@

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Timby posted:

You’d be bowled over by some of the “data closets” I’ve seen working commercial

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Running ethernet around your house is not too hard, provided you're willing to learn how to terminate the cable (that is, put a plug on the end). If you're not, and you want to run pre-cut lengths with plugs on them, you have to make bigger holes and it's a lot harder to fish them around corners in conduit etc. Still do-able but if you're handy, I recommend getting a decent termination tool, a spool of a couple hundred feet of cat6, and watch a few videos on how to do it. You can even install a jack in the wall and wire the cat6 directly to that jack, giving you plug-in internet in whatever rooms you want. If you want to run to multiple places from your modem, you may need a switch or router. If you're just running to a single wifi access point, you don't. I recommend buying your own internet modem rather than renting one from your provider - get the list of which are compatible, and then ask the goons in SH/SC which is best and get that one, for best reliability and you don't have to deal with your provider pushing updates or sending you some cheap crap that you then pay $8.99 a month for for the next five years.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Always lie to your doctor. Ah, my back!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Running ethernet around your house is not too hard, provided you're willing to learn how to terminate the cable (that is, put a plug on the end). If you're not, and you want to run pre-cut lengths with plugs on them, you have to make bigger holes and it's a lot harder to fish them around corners in conduit etc. Still do-able but if you're handy, I recommend getting a decent termination tool, a spool of a couple hundred feet of cat6, and watch a few videos on how to do it. You can even install a jack in the wall and wire the cat6 directly to that jack, giving you plug-in internet in whatever rooms you want. If you want to run to multiple places from your modem, you may need a switch or router. If you're just running to a single wifi access point, you don't. I recommend buying your own internet modem rather than renting one from your provider - get the list of which are compatible, and then ask the goons in SH/SC which is best and get that one, for best reliability and you don't have to deal with your provider pushing updates or sending you some cheap crap that you then pay $8.99 a month for for the next five years.

Even if you're not comfortable, find a contractor for a quote and find one who'll explain to you like you're 5 years old what you can do to get the job 90% of the way there. When I had to run some plumbing I found a plumber who told me exactly where, how deep and how wide to dig trenches, the grade and gauge of pipe I needed to source and the glue and priming fluid to use to be up to code. I dug it, laid the pipe and they just came in primed, glued and did the hard actual fittings and finishing and were done in an hour. Took me 5 hours to dig everything and run the pipes and later relay the dirt and put down some grass seed but turned a thousand dollar job into a two hundred dollar one.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

swickles posted:

I don't know if you follow anyone on med twitter (or twitter at all) but there was a doc who posts pretty frequently about her adventuring and she had to be airlifted out of Yosemite (? Yellowstone? one of those majestic as gently caress places) due to a severe asthma attack and they gave her ketamine on the ride. Its a bronchodilator that acts faster and more reliably than steroids, and can be used when other conventional methods like beta agonists aren't doing the job. I think people like it because most emergency asthma treatments require inhalation of the drug which can be difficult for obvious reasons. An IV infusion is easy and doesn't require cooperation from the patient (i.e. a panicking child). It is still being studied but here are a few quick links:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6036522/

https://journal.chestnet.org/article/S0012-3692(21)01513-0/fulltext

God I wish this existed when I was a kid with severe asthma.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Thanks Leper. Right now they are providing a modem to me for free, but I will definitely buy one if they want to start charging me rent for it. I definitely don't mind buying a termination tool and terminating the cable on my own, I watched some videos and seems pretty simple. My next goal is to find where this phone line starts in my basement.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
I keep forgetting to cancel the Athletic, and read Defector.

I have the too many streaming services problem but with online news.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

trilljester posted:

My TPMS sensor in my rear left tire went bad Wednesday. They replaced it today for $60 plus tax. I did buy one of their new chocolate chip cookies in the food court, it was tasty.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

RG3ESPN posted:

What the gently caress do you all want in this world before you die? Most of you have uhhh what 20-30 years left to die on this rock?

Two chicks at the same time.

Serious answer, two acres in NW Washington where I have a small dock and personal shop. Ideally with small private wind and tidal turbines. And a 32-36 ft cruiser.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I like RG3s assumption that we will all also die in our 50s-60s as most dumpster fuckers do

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

trilljester posted:

It depends on what we're getting but I've done it on the runs where we're just getting the Kirkland brand sparkling waters, cat food, paper towels and/frozen Vietnamese coffees. Usually that's not the case since my gf will inevitebly find a gadget or car thing she needs and I'll find something in the frozen section or suddenly remember I need chicken.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I already have pretty much everything I wanted, goal now is to keep zoomers from electing trump a 5th time even though they voted once and things aren't perfect yet

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

No Butt Stuff posted:

I like RG3s assumption that we will all also die in our 50s-60s as most dumpster fuckers do

Hey that coach for the warriors dropped dead in his 40s. That’s always fun to think about.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

No Butt Stuff posted:

Well, I have a lot of health problems from my father's side. Then again he's also managed to live to 73 despite them so :shrug:

trilljester posted:

I sure as hell can't but then I only go once every month or two.

Ether Frenzy posted:

I already have pretty much everything I wanted

Pretty much the same but I'd love to start writing fiction again and this time I don't care if I wouldn't make any money off of it. I'm just almost never in the right headspace for it and I hate submitting work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

My mom lives in a large retirement community surrounded by other retirement communities. There is a Costco nearby and it is the busiest Costco I've ever seen. It has to be an absolute poo poo show every day in there. Just a bunch of old people blocking aisles and slowly running their carts into each other.