Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A few characters apparently got a slight redesign for the series proper (though I don’t really see much of a difference in regards to Charlie)

Speaking of, based on the trailer she’s apparently going to be leading an open rebellion against the Angels at some point so I look forward to seeing how that winds up going down

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah same. i am ok with that.

Ditto. I adore Harley Quinn's take on Ivy.

'Strong women who are just totally over this poo poo and in love in an idiot' is a character type I never knew I would find so much fun.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Vaggie is not voiced by Poison Ivy's voice actress, she is voiced by Stefanie Beatriz AKA Rosa from Brooklyn 99/ Maribel from Encanto. Poison Ivy in the new Harley Quinn etc is voiced by Lake Bell. They just sound very similar.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!
Really enjoying this so far. A bit more song heavy than I expected but they've all kicked rear end so far, so no complaints. I also like the infusion of intrigue with the death of the angel and the overlord council and the room for speculation like how both Alastor and Lilith were both missing the last 7 years specifically, maybe hinting that their absences are related.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

The song intros can be a little abrupt sometimes but 9/10 are absolute bangers and the singers are outstanding. I'm finding myself really liking Vaggie's character so far and you can really tell she is genuinely endeared by Charlie's personality and her hopes and dreams. Also it's looking increasingly likely she really is a fallen exterminator angel what with her military background and her eye. Plus that screen shot of her with wings. I really gently caress with how that romance would've started and I want to see more.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Ditto. I adore Harley Quinn's take on Ivy.

'Strong women who are just totally over this poo poo and in love in an idiot' is a character type I never knew I would find so much fun.

that and the "drax the destroyer" type is kinda of an arcitypes i love now.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Tristesse posted:

Vaggie is not voiced by Poison Ivy's voice actress, she is voiced by Stefanie Beatriz AKA Rosa from Brooklyn 99/ Maribel from Encanto. Poison Ivy in the new Harley Quinn etc is voiced by Lake Bell. They just sound very similar.

I mean the characters, not the voice actors. But, yes, they do also sound quite similar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I agree that Vaggie and Ivy have similar character traits such as being tough as nails and in love with a naive clown girl (well more like a mime in Charlie’s case). Plus, Harley Quinn Ivy is my favorite version of the character so no complaints here honestly.

And yeah, Vaggie being a fallen angel would make sense given what we’ve seen so far (also her full name Vagatha is apparently a real name that means “good woman” in Greek)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 19, 2024

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
I just really need someone to tell someone else on this show "you better take the reverb outta your voice" or some variation thereof.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
"Loser, Baby" is the catchiest song I've heard in a while. I love it

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Macaluso posted:

It's right behind Poison for me

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

I've had it stuck in my head all day no joke.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo "Poison" in context in the episode.

gently caress.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Angel's new VA knocked it out of the park in episode four, yeah. I think my favourite overall song is still Carmilla's duet with Vaggie though. That's also my favourite 'new' character alongside Zestial.

If there's any hope of a crossover between HB and this I hope it's Asmodeus showing up to wreck Valentino's poo poo.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Pyrotoad posted:

Angel's new VA knocked it out of the park in episode four, yeah. I think my favourite overall song is still Carmilla's duet with Vaggie though. That's also my favourite 'new' character alongside Zestial.

If there's any hope of a crossover between HB and this I hope it's Asmodeus showing up to wreck Valentino's poo poo.

I have to imagine the sins will be the one crossover we'll get from HB, because it seems weird to only have Lucifer and not ever have the other sins. I feel like Mammon and Adam would get along :v:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Pyrotoad posted:

Hard agree, I loving love Carmilla. I was very neutral on the character because I went in entirely blind but her and Zestial are my new fav ship. A badass blade ballerina mama with an operatic voice? Yes a thousand times loving yes thank you.

Also I think all of us including the show runners would love for Asmodeus to rock Valentinos entire poo poo. If the king of the lust ring got even a hint of what Valentino was doing to his brand the horrors he'd visit on the guy would be legendary. The grossest part is he has a customized Fizz bot too.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jan 20, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I wonder if we’re going to meet Lucifer and/or Lilith in the flesh at some point (official full body artwork is already out there for both of them after all).

But yeah, I imagine some of the Sins showing up is the closest we’re going to get to a crossover between the two shows (maybe an appearance by Stolas at the most)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I wonder if we’re going to meet Lucifer and/or Lilith in the flesh at some point (official full body artwork is already out there for both of them after all).

But yeah, I imagine some of the Sins showing up is the closest we’re going to get to a crossover between the two shows (maybe an appearance by Stolas at the most)

Lucifer's going to be in episode five and play a big part in the ongoing plot. He's also a lot shorter than Charlie and Alastor dunks on him for it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Flopsy posted:

Lucifer's going to be in episode five and play a big part in the ongoing plot. He's also a lot shorter than Charlie and Alastor dunks on him for it.

He’ll also be voiced by Jeremy Jordon it seems

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 20, 2024

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also the full context of Poison certainly is something (it’s kind of like Two Minutes Notice only shorter and with a different tone)

Nice to know this show can make me feel emotions just like HB can

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 20, 2024

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
I watched the pilot the day it came out knowing nothing of Vivziepop etc and I've been waiting for this ever since. I feel it was very ballsy on Amazon's part to just go in without a rehash of the pilot but I guess if you're watching you already know the idea. I thought it was hilarious that Adamenjoyed ribs

Getting Keith David is incredible for Husk though I feel bad about the original cast. As far as Charlie's design I kinda prefer the old one due to the hairbands and her cheeks being larger make her design appear more clownish I dunno, I liked it more before she looked more like a ringmaster. Alastor is still great, don't change anything, make him the main character don't care. Angel Dust I think is improved because he's had time to develop more when I didn't care for him before due to him just being gross and showed very little humanity, just my opinion. I really love the setting here and I hope both HH and HB stick around for a while. My wife even said to me after I showed her the Vox and Alastor song that: "This is really something that nails your favorite things*

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.

Diabetic posted:

I watched the pilot the day it came out knowing nothing of Vivziepop etc and I've been waiting for this ever since. I feel it was very ballsy on Amazon's part to just go in without a rehash of the pilot but I guess if you're watching you already know the idea. I thought it was hilarious that Adamenjoyed ribs

Getting Keith David is incredible for Husk though I feel bad about the original cast. As far as Charlie's design I kinda prefer the old one due to the hairbands and her cheeks being larger make her design appear more clownish I dunno, I liked it more before she looked more like a ringmaster. Alastor is still great, don't change anything, make him the main character don't care. Angel Dust I think is improved because he's had time to develop more when I didn't care for him before due to him just being gross and showed very little humanity, just my opinion. Vaggie, I think is pretty good and I really enjoy the actress playing her because I thought she was good in Brooklyn 99 and twisted metal. I really love the setting here and I hope both HH and HB stick around for a while. My wife even said to me after I showed her the Vox and Alastor song that: "This is really something that nails your favorite things*

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Larryb posted:

He’ll also be voiced by Jeremy Jordon it seems

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. He voiced Varian in Tangled the Series and every one of his songs knocked it out of the park.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

a neat cape posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. He voiced Varian in Tangled the Series and every one of his songs knocked it out of the park.

Yup, which is why I’m hoping he gets a song or two here too (it’d be weird if he didn’t honestly)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Yup, which is why I’m hoping he gets a song or two here too (it’d be weird if he didn’t honestly)

If I heard right he gets a duet with Alastor.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I figure there's got to be some underlying reason why Vaggie is drawn to be moth-like, I hope we explore that.

Give me more fully demon-ed out Charlie inject it directly into my eyeballs

I sincerely hope she gets another opportunity to pull rank and maybe make it stick.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

LOL. LMAO even.

https://www.westernjournal.com/christians-cancel-prime-subscriptions-amazon-takes-satans-side-god-new-cartoon/

We loving made it boys LETS GOOOO :supaburn:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Madurai posted:

I figure there's got to be some underlying reason why Vaggie is drawn to be moth-like, I hope we explore that.

Give me more fully demon-ed out Charlie inject it directly into my eyeballs

I sincerely hope she gets another opportunity to pull rank and maybe make it stick.

I strongly suspect she's a fallen exterminator angel Charlie saved. But I'm still waiting to see

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m also kind of curious how the daughter of the literal ruler of Hell turned out to be such a creampuff (though to be fair, Moxxie exists in this world and he’s the son of a gangster) and how she and Vaggie came up with the idea for the hotel in the first place

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

god, is it wrong that i want chuds to bitch about this and also jessie waters or some other fox moron to bitch about it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

I’m also kind of curious how the daughter of the literal ruler of Hell turned out to be such a creampuff (though to be fair, Moxxie exists in this world and he’s the son of a gangster) and how she and Vaggie came up with the idea for the hotel in the first place

my view is hell is supposed to be lovely obviously but there are still conventually sorta good people there. probably more with hellborn then with sinners. like most of the sinners are basicaly jammed in one ghetto prison city in hell while alot of the rest is open to hellborn allowing more culture and such.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

The original rebel's daughter rebelling by acting more like a traditional angel than a demon tracks. Also it's implied that Charlie has always deeply hated the purges and is looking for some way to mitigate or at least make them unnecessary. I have my own theories about Vaggie that are kinda spoilery but I can see them cooking up the
hotel idea together.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

god, is it wrong that i want chuds to bitch about this and also jessie waters or some other fox moron to bitch about it.

I'm literally salivating at the thought of Tucker Carlson having a screech about it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Makes sense. And yeah, I’m also starting to subscribe to the theory that Vaggie is a fallen angel who was against the purges and/or once showed mercy to a demon/sinner, maybe Charlie rescued her at some point and things snowballed from there (it matches up with what we’ve seen so far at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jan 21, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

Makes sense. And yeah, I’m also starting to subscribe to the theory that Vaggie is a fallen angel who was against the purges and/or once showed mercy to a demon/sinner, maybe Charlie rescued her at some point and things snowballed from there (it matches up with what we’ve seen so far at least)
That's my theory too. I really hope we get an episode giving them more backstory on how they met.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
What a performance, the show if off to a great start!

Husk was an overlord! Kinda teased in the original pilot with him being shown in shadow behind Alastor along with the other overlords. His gambling likely took him down and left him in his sorry state. Didn't expect Keith David to sing, he did a good job.

Exactly what killed the angel? A new weapon Carmine made? No one had killed an exterminator until then so it has to be something new right. There are a lot of angel weapons around since they apparently can't be half assed to retrieve them during the purge, it's why Veggie has an angel spear, it's merely one of the weapons some angel didn't give two shits about getting back. I do like the she was an angel theory. We do know they can fall.

Next expisodes on the 25th

For those that miss the OG cast, they made a good bye song that came out on the same day the show did:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCTbmFrB4nA

It's on the OG Alastors channel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Specifically the OG Alastor’s singing voice but it was a good video nonetheless (speaking of, I’m still a little disappointed to learn that Insane wasn’t an official song)

Also hearing the original voice again I think I actually kind of like Keith David’s Husk better overall (also this is hardly the first time he’s ever had to do a song in something)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

Specifically the OG Alastor’s singing voice but it was a good video nonetheless (speaking of, I’m still a little disappointed to learn that Insane wasn’t an official song)

Also hearing the original voice again I think I actually kind of like Keith David’s Husk better overall (also this is hardly the first time he’s ever had to do a song in something)

yeah. i actually like most of the new voices though angels took a bit to click.

Flopsy posted:

I'm literally salivating at the thought of Tucker Carlson having a screech about it.

i dont think its tucker, but i could see some moral right nuts jumping on it. probably desantis types more then trump chuds.

so is it 8 total? are two hitting at once or at they dropping the rest?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i actually like most of the new voices though angels took a bit to click.

i dont think its tucker, but i could see some moral right nuts jumping on it. probably desantis types more then trump chuds.

so is it 8 total? are two hitting at once or at they dropping the rest?

From what I’ve heard they’ll be dropping the remaining 4 over the next two weeks at the rate of two episodes at a time (though if I recall correctly this was confirmed for at least one more season however)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Larryb posted:

Her description of her father suggests he's a creampuff himself. And, honestly, so does a reading of the biblical myths which doesn't take the entity asserting itself as the universe's just and benevolent "God" at face value: Lucifer's no perverted, evil psychopath, just someone who offered humanity the ability to perceive good from evil. This upsets Yahweh because, woops! his draconian subjugation of humanity to his petty whims is obviously pretty drat evil. But Yahweh still had power and cast Lucifer into the pit and shoveled generations upon generations of the worst humanity has to offer onto him.

Only need to look at Adam and Co. to see that, in the show's narrative, the forces of Heaven are fundamentally no different from (and certainly no better than) the demons; they just have power. I'd wager Charlie's going to realize before the show is over that the much vaunted goodness of heaven was a self-serving lie all along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hell, Adam even LOOKS like a demon (it feels like they took some heavy inspiration from Mammon for his design) so that tracks.

Lucifer himself apparently shows up in the flesh next episode so I look forward to seeing what he’s like (especially considering who’s voicing him). I imagine we’ll be meeting Lilith eventually as well

Speaking of the above, I wonder if we’ll ever meet this universe’s version of God (either here or in Helluva Boss), if so I’m betting he’s a petty rear end in a top hat

Larryb fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 21, 2024