Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I would have rather gotten Neris back. Pressly better keep his closer role

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Ehh paying a reliever nearly 100 million seems like a bad idea. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's very close to the Edwin Diaz deal looking further into it. Mets fans, how you feeling about that deal?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Inspector_666 posted:

I dunno how much of a market there is for McCullers, especially as a pure salary dump.

When he was healthy McCullers was good and he's only owed 3/53 going forward which in the current pitching market is an absolute bargain for a 2/3 type. If the Astros really wanted to unload him I imagine there'd be interested teams.

MrMidnight posted:

lol you didn't just pay Hader $95M to be Pressly's setup guy. He's going to close.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I like Pressly a hell of lot but Hader is obviously better than him. Fantastic 1-2 punch though for sure, but so much money is tied to it.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I know it's just wishful thinking. Sorry Pressly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would probably only ever sign a reliever for 3 years

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

What he did is super hosed up, but how much of a piece of poo poo do you have to be to pimp out your underage daughter, goddamn

the vast majority of kids who end up getting trafficked have been abused at home by a close relative or a close relative’s domestic partner and then get turned out or run away, rich pederast + awful parent/guardian is an old, old equation

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pressley was better in a set up role anyway

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Abreu - Pressly - Hader is a drat good 789 though

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Kirios posted:

Ehh paying a reliever nearly 100 million seems like a bad idea. Hopefully I'm wrong.

It's very close to the Edwin Diaz deal looking further into it. Mets fans, how you feeling about that deal?

They'd probably feel pretty decent about it if he didn't die in Spring Training. 5 years/$95 million is both a ton of dollars and a ton of years for a reliever though. Outside of a few exceptions, it seems like you are better off just making good selections off the scrap heap since relievers are so volatile.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I did say the other day the only reliver I'd ever want to see signed to a big time deal is a generational closer so I guess we'll see if Hader continues where he left off last year or goes back to the three years before that.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

MrMidnight posted:

Abreu - Pressly - Hader is a drat good 789 though

Abreu isn't going to be happy he now essentially has no future as the closer

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Squall posted:

They'd probably feel pretty decent about it if he didn't die in Spring Training. 5 years/$95 million is both a ton of dollars and a ton of years for a reliever though. Outside of a few exceptions, it seems like you are better off just making good selections off the scrap heap since relievers are so volatile.

Yeah I'm inclined to agree. The Astros have been fantastic in developing relievers lately too.

This whole signing feels off to me.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I would be much happier if they extended Tucker

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Hader's deal is apparently worth more than Diaz's in terms of real money because Diaz has a bunch of deferrals baked in.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

MrMidnight posted:

I would be much happier if they extended Tucker

Yeah if this keeps them from extending Tucker it's even worse than the Montero deal

Have a feeling this season is now locked in as a farewell tour for Bregman

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
I wonder what the most recent “most expensive deal for a reliever” is where the team ended up feeling good about it

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bravesword posted:

I wonder what the most recent “most expensive deal for a reliever” is where the team ended up feeling good about it

Jansen got 5/80 from the Dodgers back in in the 2016 offseason and went on to put up a really solid five year run for them, with 2019 being the only real bump. Chapman also got 5/86 from the Yankees the same year and likewise had a really good stretch for them that included three AS appearances, he was bad in 2022 but by then they'd gotten five very good years out of him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Jansen on that 5 year deal, ages 29-33: 296.1 IP, 158 ERA+, 2.98 FIP, 0.975 WHIP

In the postseason: 43 IP, 1.88 ERA, 2.80 FIP, and a very unfortunate -15.67% cWPA. Most of that is gm5 2017 and gm4 2020

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jan 19, 2024

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah if Astros get Jansen level performance I'd be happy with that.

I don't know if Hader is on Jansen's level.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

and a very unfortunate -15.67% cWPA.

lol I vividly remember watching G4 with my Dodger-fan then-roommate and as soon as Jansen came in for the save he just went "Jansen's gonna loving blow it, I can feel it." As soon as Phillips hit the single he didn't even say anything he just looked at me, got up, and went to his room. I did not see him until the following afternoon.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Huh for some reason I remembered Arozarena falling down and having to flop his way to the plate but it was just being out by a mile and being bailed out by the catcher not fielding it

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

More importantly, why hasn't the Cubs paid my good friend Cody Bellinger lots of money yet?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mustached Demon posted:

More importantly, why hasn't the Cubs paid my good friend Cody Bellinger lots of money yet?

Boras wants a megadeal for him and the Cubs--and other teams, I think--are wary of handing one out, wondering whether his 2023 season was a return to form, or if he'll turn back into the pumpkin who had OPS+ seasons of 44 and 81 in 2020 and 2021.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I get that some of the Cubs players want Bellinger back, but I would not pay him that kind of money when there is a very high chance that he goes back to being a pumpkin

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
This is such a weird contract to do given Crane's history and it probably does mean losing Bregman and/or Tucker so yeah I am not happy

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Crane's adamant refusal to give out deals longer than five years is going to send the team back in the tank once the talent dries up. Yordan and Tucker are the only young stars left (no I'm not forgetting Pena) and Tucker's about to walk. Not much left in the farm to replace any of the guys leaving so it's becoming more and more of a patchwork to the point where Jake Meyers is going to have to be an everyday player and you're hoping Dubon can recapture a little magic. Oof.

I'll enjoy the ride for a couple more years then I guess watch everyone dance on their graves until they can rebuild. If Hader is still elite he'll probably waive his no trade to get out of here

fast cars loose anus posted:

This is such a weird contract to do given Crane's history and it probably does mean losing Bregman and/or Tucker so yeah I am not happy

Crane would have to get over his five year thing for either of them to have a chance of staying regardless of the Hader deal or any other contract currently on the books

Intruder fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jan 20, 2024

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

MrMidnight posted:

Not only will Hader pitch the ninth but he will only pitch the ninth.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sydin posted:

lol I vividly remember watching G4 with my Dodger-fan then-roommate and as soon as Jansen came in for the save he just went "Jansen's gonna loving blow it, I can feel it." As soon as Phillips hit the single he didn't even say anything he just looked at me, got up, and went to his room. I did not see him until the following afternoon.
Yeah it's a good thing they won the next two because if that play had cost them the series it would have driven a lot of us permanently insane.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

The Astros really should sign Bauer. They are fully committed to being the most despicable team in the majors so might as well go all in.

My dude your team traded for Alex Verdugo

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
It's a good thing my team didn't sign anyone questionable.

*whistles and walks away*

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

My dude your team traded for Alex Verdugo

You're replying to a dude who would constantly insist the Astros were the kind of team that would love to have Chapman and German all while they continued to play for the Yankees

Intruder fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 20, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

You're replying to a dude who would constantly insist the Astros were the kind of team that would love to have Chapman and German all while they continued to play for the Yankees

Don't try to deflect from your team signing the KKK tweet guy.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Should definitely bring up a team signing a pitcher with racist tweets

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic would prefer the Astros sign Bauer over Bauer never sniffing the bigs again simply so he could shitpost about it

e: which is ironic since he claimed Bauer got hosed over earlier in the offseason

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Like I actually didn't even know about those Stroman tweets until people here mentioned them last week but cmon man

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I didn't either tbh, that flew under my radar completely

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Intruder posted:

mcmagic would prefer the Astros sign Bauer over Bauer never sniffing the bigs again simply so he could shitpost about it

e: which is ironic since he claimed Bauer got hosed over earlier in the offseason

The Astros and Bauer deserve each other. I also never said Bauer got hosed over once. The ease with which Astros posters will just make up poo poo that I posted is nuts.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

mcmagic posted:

So it seems like Trevor Bauer got a little bit hosed over?

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lmao