Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

No I mean it. There are some areas of its rotting carcass where life still exists, but I largely subscribe to dead internet theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Internet_theory

e: and to be clear I don't think it's ~~government conspiracy~~ or whatever, rather the natural (read: capitalist) outcome of every online interaction being commodified and monetized

You owe me a nickel for reading this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
add it to my tab.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Maneck posted:

Or because he has abandoned Israel. You know, despite his support for Israel remaining unwavering notwithstanding the ongoing catastrophe befalling Gazan residents. At best, they'll point to him tepidly endorsing the idea of a temporary pause in bombing.
I’m really surprised how often I hear this from people. They’ll usually talk about how Trudeau is supporting Hamas and is calling for the destruction of Israel. After asking a few questions it always comes back to they head some headlines (but didn’t read the article) saying that (almost always Post Media) or someone sent them an article saying that.

I also find that they bring up misleading at best or fake stories at worst about Trudeau as a reason why we need to elect PP. I’ll point out and explain why it’s misleading or fake but I usually get a “well that doesn’t matter because we still need go get rid of Trudeau” or “the fact that it’s so believable is proof that Trudeau needs to go” :psyduck: as a response.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Mr. Apollo posted:

Trudeau is supporting Hamas and is calling for the destruction of Israel.

Why would post media lie to make him cooler?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

I’m really surprised how often I hear this from people. They’ll usually talk about how Trudeau is supporting Hamas and is calling for the destruction of Israel. After asking a few questions it always comes back to they head some headlines (but didn’t read the article) saying that (almost always Post Media) or someone sent them an article saying that.

I also find that they bring up misleading at best or fake stories at worst about Trudeau as a reason why we need to elect PP. I’ll point out and explain why it’s misleading or fake but I usually get a “well that doesn’t matter because we still need go get rid of Trudeau” or “the fact that it’s so believable is proof that Trudeau needs to go” :psyduck: as a response.

Yeah, like even that it’s fake is evidence that it’s real to these people…

When that story broke of the dude getting busted for starting the forest fires, it was proof to them that he was paid by tyrant Trudeau to do it. What is the proof that this is the case? Vibes.

Trudeau is a tyrant communist because he froze some trucker’s bank accounts. You tell them well if you think that’s bad you’ll be shocked to hear how they’ve been treating indigenous people for decades and no that’s not bad because protesting pipelines is terrorism.

Any politician trying to court these people is a fool who hasn’t yet realized there is no way to reach them.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ARACHTION posted:

Any politician trying to court these people is a fool who hasn’t yet realized there is no way to reach them.

And yet their vote counts as much as yours.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

McGavin posted:

Apparently males between 18 and 35 overwhelmingly support PP.

I have it on good authority that Poilievre is actually supported by males between the ages of 14 and 88 for some inscrutable reason.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

McGavin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWdfRRtAs3o

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

ZShakespeare posted:

No I mean it. There are some areas of its rotting carcass where life still exists, but I largely subscribe to dead internet theory.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Internet_theory

e: and to be clear I don't think it's ~~government conspiracy~~ or whatever, rather the natural (read: capitalist) outcome of every online interaction being commodified and monetized

I'm halfway through reading https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Age_of_Surveillance_Capitalism and...yeah. I believe in dead internet the same way, minus the conspiracy parts.

There was a discussion on mastodon recently highlighting one example, finding instruction/maintenance manuals for old things online, where the original manufacturer is defunct or just doesn't maintain old stuff on their website.
There are thousands of sites out there that just scrape searches for these manuals and auto-generate pages with SEO out the rear end that just have generic text and link to other pages that also aren't the actual manual you're looking for.

There's similar results for generic IT problems along the lines of stuff like "how do I stop windows from doing X thing". Dozens of hits from sites with generic tech-y sounding names that have generated pages based on common issues with steps to resolve that will obviously not resolve anything but sound like legitimate things to do.

It's so widespread that it's commonly known that you should add 'reddit' to the end of every single query you do where you want info from actual people. There are of course tons of bots on reddit but they don't corrupt your searches in the same way as the generated sites do on front page google results.

Your best bet of finding useful information is knowing what the 'good' sites are and going directly there or simply using google as a better indexer than the sites themselves. Actually finding novel websites with real information through a search is impossible.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

McGavin posted:

lol owned

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Fidelitious posted:

It's so widespread that it's commonly known that you should add 'reddit' to the end of every single query you do where you want info from actual people. There are of course tons of bots on reddit but they don't corrupt your searches in the same way as the generated sites do on front page google results.

Your best bet of finding useful information is knowing what the 'good' sites are and going directly there or simply using google as a better indexer than the sites themselves. Actually finding novel websites with real information through a search is impossible.

And god help you if you click on one of those content farms, because they'll forever be on the front page of your search results, no matter how useless.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Whoever is running NDP housing policy is doing such a bad job they got Singh slamming a *checks notes* Indigenous lead below market housing project because it's not FULL COMMUNISM enough.

https://twitter.com/beheshtialex/status/1748000602573996198?s=46&t=ruJSzwqECRxfc3oePbtIng

Ah yes well the Housing critic is Jenny Kwan so...

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Mods! Mods! They posted a slur!

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Mea culpa. I thought there'd be a bailout for businesses with the CEBA loan but they didn't do it, now everyone gets to refinance.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dreylad posted:

Mea culpa. I thought there'd be a bailout for businesses with the CEBA loan but they didn't do it, now everyone gets to refinance.

it's honestly kind of shocking, both personally it makes a lot of sense a lot of restaurants and the like aren't unfucked yet

and also cynically, the government telling small business owners to go gently caress themselves is something i've never seen before in my lifetime

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Mods! Mods! They posted a slur!

pretend I did something about it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
What, are you running for Prime Minister now?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Femtosecond posted:

Whoever is running NDP housing policy is doing such a bad job they got Singh slamming a *checks notes* Indigenous lead below market housing project because it's not FULL COMMUNISM enough.

https://twitter.com/beheshtialex/status/1748000602573996198?s=46&t=ruJSzwqECRxfc3oePbtIng

Ah yes well the Housing critic is Jenny Kwan so...

i dont think he's off base

the 80% of market rates doesn't mean it's affordable

I couldn't find out how many units they demolished to build the 64 units at 80% but I'm sure it's not a trivial amount, and I'm certain they were less rent.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Would you vote for me if I did?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

ZShakespeare posted:

Would you vote for me if I did?

I voted for you as IK. In for a penny, in for a pound.

RBC posted:

I couldn't find out how many units they demolished to build the 64 units at 80% but I'm sure it's not a trivial amount, and I'm certain they were less rent.

I think, although I'm not certain, this is essentially what's happened with the TCHC housing at Alexandra Park and the new Tridel developments that replaced them. Mixed income developments with "affordable" units, and in this case "affordable" being defined as a fairly high percentage of market rents, as opposed to the TCHC run properties they replaced which had been rent controlled and occupied for 30+ years.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 19, 2024

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

ZShakespeare posted:

pretend I did something about it

Doing things is un-Canadian, but what if your entire job is pretending and you put full effort into it and excel?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I want Singh to explain how a l*xury c*ndo differs from an affordable one. Are the building codes different? How does not increasing housing supply make housing more affordable without also implementing rent controls?

It's just hollow liberal posturing. I don't understand how his team thinks making him a watered down version of Trudeau is a winning strategy.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

ZShakespeare posted:

I want Singh to explain how a l*xury c*ndo differs from an affordable one. Are the building codes different? How does not increasing housing supply make housing more affordable without also implementing rent controls?

It's just hollow liberal posturing. I don't understand how his team thinks making him a watered down version of Trudeau is a winning strategy.

i think the ndp leader that wears $6000 suits, rolexes and drives bmws knows a l*xury c*ndo when he sees one

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If I were a wealthy politician I would simply wear a tasteful Oris wristwatch.

I'm kidding, G-Shock all the way. I got a JDM square with an inverted display that reeks of tobacco directly off of some salarayman's wrist.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Arivia posted:

it's honestly kind of shocking, both personally it makes a lot of sense a lot of restaurants and the like aren't unfucked yet

and also cynically, the government telling small business owners to go gently caress themselves is something i've never seen before in my lifetime

It's going to cost them votes, but I don't know how much versus general outrage of a potential bail out while telling the rest of us to go pound sand.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
l*xury c*ndos are just building coded apartments.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

I think there is a lane here for some quiet reinforcement that "An NDP government would go even further in creating affordable... blahblah" but like I'm sure the Metis Housing Corp is pretty happy with this deal, happy to be creating below market homes for indigenous families here, and so like man what allies is he making here dragging this project with the heavy rhetoric he's using?

He doesn't look at all like a friend to non-profit housing creators, and those are the sort of people that should be his allies and should be helping work to get elected.

I think he looks like a total baffoon here yelling for some other outcome when his ideological allies are already satisfied.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
If only they had some consistent morals to measure these statements against to see if they ring true.

Ah well, keep chasing that center NDP, you'll get there sometime.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Just merge the federal NDP with the liberals already and stop wasting our time and insulting our intelligence.

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

The next party leader should probably have more qualifications than "had a viral video"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Singh was a successful MPP in Brampton, among other things.

That's not to say he was great or anything, but he had a bit more of a background than just being an attractive man in a nice suit.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Well *I* voted for Niki.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Dreylad posted:

apartments with condo fees

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

UnknownMercenary posted:

Well *I* voted for Niki.

How are her grievous bodily injuries doing after Justin cross checked her into the parliamentary boards that one game

jettisonedstuff
Apr 9, 2006

a primate posted:

How are her grievous bodily injuries doing after Justin cross checked her into the parliamentary boards that one game

That was Ruth Ellen Brosseau.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

jettisonedstuff posted:

That was Ruth Ellen Brosseau.

Vegas?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

No, Adobe Premiere.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Dreylad posted:

As a BC resident with friends in l*xury c*ndos I can attest that the code is more what you’d call “guidelines” than actual rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Vintersorg posted:

And there's huge astroturfing going on some of the bigger Canada subs. Someone r/onguardforthee compared active times:
https://www.reddit.com/r/onguardforthee/comments/197hyck/comparing_best_times_to_post_across_some_of_the/

Other than /r/canada_sub, where do you think this shows evidence of astroturfing? That's a single subreddit that's generally known to be nutty (and is apparently astroturfed from people a few time zones to the east of most Canadians), not "some of the bigger Canadian subs."