Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Just go all in on Shingo that never hurts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

If Naito is healthy enough I can see him holding the title till Dominion and dropping it to Hiromu. Moving Hiromu up to heavy seems a lot more likely now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pylons posted:

So if one of Okada's last matches is putting over one of the young guys, who should it be? Shota and Tsuji both feel like they have their own 'mountains' to climb, Ren Narita kinda just sucks. Is it Uemura by default?

EVIL

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Gaz-L posted:

Kaito would be my pick if he's jumping over or even if NOAH are continuing to loan him out.

Yeah, this would be my choice if only to see how pissed off Okada is about the entire thing.

Alternatively, I think the world is ready for the Boltin Shock.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Let Goto finally win, because that is objectively the funniest thing they could do.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Naito was always the better man for New Japan. Sad that it took everybody so long to realize but some of us always knew.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MJeff posted:

Naito was always the better man for New Japan. Sad that it took everybody so long to realize but some of us always knew.
was okada the most popular star in the company just whenever tanahashi and naito weren't around?

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
Naito's always been Captain New Japan (no not that one), just think back to how he how spoke about NJ talent departures to Stamford

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjLC0trXPI

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
True, but he was also Captain New Japan. Which means he was also Bone Soldier.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

A Naito-led New Japan. A fate worse than death.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

NienNunb posted:

A Naito-led New Japan. A fate worse than death.

did it to themselves. shame

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

I feel like they have two options: keep a rapidly breaking down Naito on top until January, or pull the trigger on ZSJ and/or a Reiwa Musketeer with a couple of relatively short reigns in the next year. The latter is a lot riskier financially (yet potentially extremely hot if it's done right), whereas the former is extremely boring but will keep NJPW stable until the point where they can pull the trigger on ZSJ and/or a Reiwa Musketeer. Granted, that raises the question of how exactly they'll keep the Reiwa Musketeers hot until next year, because I'm getting the impression that their moment is quickly passing. Maybe not, idk.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Fans want a long Naito run so you have to figure he has the belt till Dominion. You probably don't want any of the new guys to face him before than so they don't get cooled down but I can see a Reiwa being the Dominion challenger and winning the belt to take it through the G1

The other option is to probably just move everyone up to heavyweight but keep the JR title as a high speed/flying title for light guys and push Hiromu to the moon. It's risky but Hiromu is super popular and I think people will take to him as the champ

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

...nah, they would never abolish the weight divisions. They should, because weight divisions in wrestling are loving stupid, but this is NJPW we're talking about, and they won't. Would they?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

they should not abandon the weight divisions imho, just let the jrs main event more and dont treat them like a drat stepping stone!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

They probably won't but if Despy and Hiromu want to move up to heavy I don't think Gedo and New Japan says no

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

despy should immediately be iwgp world heavyweight champion

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Suplex Liberace posted:

This is a good plan

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Suplex Liberace posted:

and immediately defend it in a deathmatch against Kasai

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the el desparado open deathmatch challenge will lead to an unprecidented run of sell out dome shows

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Like Hiromu and Despy are popular enough they can fill the void at the top of the card and Dominion main event of Naito/Hiromu feels like it has enough story to sell tickets

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

yeah, it's not like KENTA/Marufuji, where neither were massive draws going into the Budokan. Besides, Osaka-jo Hall isn't the Budokan

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Hiromu's longterm character arc is that he wants to hold the IWGP Jr. and Heavyweight Championships at the same time. He explicitly wants to win the Heavyweight championship AS the Jr. Heavyweight Champion. It'll be really weird if they never pay that off.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The last few times the NJPW main event scene has up and left the solution has been "megapush the head of bullet club"

It's time.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Lid posted:

The last few times the NJPW main event scene has up and left the solution has been "megapush the head of bullet club"

It's time.

you’re right, push Gabe Kidd

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Lid posted:

It's time.

I can't tell if you mean EVIL or Finlay but I would genuinely prefer the former

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Suplex Liberace posted:

Rename it the IWGP Deathmatch Title, first defence Vs Hiromu

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Naito/Finlay title vs. title broadway at the anniversary show, got it

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
Bro if they still don't put Zack and Shingo in the main event tier after all this poo poo

If Gedo legitimately pushes Finlay over those two... I think I'll actually cry

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

this kid is nuts posted:

Bro if they still don't put Zack and Shingo in the main event tier after all this poo poo

If Gedo legitimately pushes Finlay over those two... I think I'll actually cry

If Gedo pushes Finlay over ZSJ as top gaijin then the drat company will get what it deserves.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Early show today, tentatively excited for this match even if Oka's last challenge for the belt was pretty dire

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1748548402856841280

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NJPW The New Beginning in Nagoya
Start Time: 8:00am GMT/3:00am EST/12:00am PST
Available in both English and Japanese.

1. Shoma Kato vs Katsuya Murashima 10 Minute Time Limit
2. Shota Umino & Tomoaki Honma vs Ren Narita & Yujiro Takahashi 20 Minute Time Limit
3. Jeff Cobb/Francesco Akira/TJP/Callum Newman/Henare vs David Finlay/Alex Coughlin/Gabe Kidd/Clark Connors/Drilla Moloney 20 Minute Time Limit
4. El Desperado & Master Wato vs Yoshinobu Kanemaru & SHO 20 Minute Time Limit
5. KAZUCHIKA OKADA FAREWELL TOUR MATCH: Kazuchika Okada/Hiroshi Tanahashi/Tomohiro Ishii/Togi Makabe vs Zack Sabre Jr/Mikey Nicholls/Shane Haste/Kosei Fujita 30 Minute Time Limit
6. Tetsuya Naito/Yota Tsuji/Shingo Takagi/Hiromu Takahashi/BUSHI vs Sanada/Taichi/Yuya Uemura/Taka Michinoku/Douki 30 Minute Time Limit
7. King Of Pro Wrestling Openweight Championship Match: Taiji Ishimori(c) vs Great O-Khan 10 Minute Time Limit Ishimori Ring Fit Match
8. NJPW Strong Openweight Tag Team Championship Match: Hikuleo & El Phantasmo (c) vs KENTA & Chase Owens 30 Minute Time Limit
Main Event: NEVER Openweight Championship Match: Tama Tonga (c) vs EVIL 60 Minute Time Limit

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 20, 2024

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

SG Bamboo posted:

Early show today, tentatively excited for this match even if Oka's last challenge for the belt was pretty dire

https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/1748548402856841280

Aw, I was hoping for a co-promotion with Nintendo. This will be fun too though.

The main event and the semi-main though...woof.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Nothing in wrestling is ever going to be as baffling to me as Chase Owens still having a job. What crime did he see Gedo commit?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lamuella posted:

Nothing in wrestling is ever going to be as baffling to me as Chase Owens still having a job. What crime did he see Gedo commit?

Gedo betrayed his Perfect Son, and thus is forever cursed :colbert:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Young Lion match starting now, 30 to main card

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

That transistion into the leglock from Kato looked vicious, he's got a couple of tricks even if Murashima looks the more comfortable in the ring

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
These are some solid looking yls

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Okada's shock exit has kind of taken the focus away from Tama's last tour as champ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

This is the fastest i've seen Yujiro walk to the ring in years