Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

McGavin posted:

Where do you think whatever you're recycling gets shipped to?

If it's paper, the town I live in. Recycling garbage from surrounding cities is the only part of the local economy that is any good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Feed the Atlantic trash gyre. She is our God.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

norp posted:

Every time you make the effort to recycle just remember that there is probably a trash truck in the developing world pouring garbage into the ocean as you do it

Metals and glass are actually pretty recyclable domestically. It's just plastic that gets "recycled" by paying a series of shell companies to take it and dump it in the nearest rainforest.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Woah woah woah do not disrespect the mestre de pizza's technique

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Safety Dance posted:

Metals and glass are actually pretty recyclable domestically. It's just plastic that gets "recycled" by paying a series of shell companies to take it and dump it in the nearest rainforest.

I remember when recycling was advocated as a public good rather than a profit center. Like sure glass and metal especially will get recycled to the point where people will recycle metal without asking the current owner, but as a society we should spend the time and money on recycling plastic and paper because less trash is a good thing that has its own value. And at some point this got bastardized into the current situation where rich countries are cutting costs on recycling by privatizing it to companies who just offshore it to places without oversight that will treat the "recyclables" as trash, which is still more expensive and environmentally destructive than properly landfilling it locally.

We could spend a bit more and actually recycle this stuff because it's the right thing to do, or deal with it as trash because in terms of cost it is, but instead we have somehow gotten into a middle ground that is the worst of both worlds.

https://i.imgur.com/XoBobbt.mp4

Facebook Aunt posted:

Glass is garbage rocks nobody wants. It is recyclable, there just isn't much demand for random mixed glass.

Glass recycling can be encouraged by putting deposits on bottles and washing them out.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jan 19, 2024

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Safety Dance posted:

Glass is garbage rocks nobody wants. It is recyclable, there just isn't much demand for random mixed glass.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

Oh word?

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

the curse is the lack of contrast between 70-90% and < 50%.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

other people posted:

Yeah Turkey and Greece really trying to sneak by down there :hmmno:

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Azza Bamboo posted:

I'm glad they recognise commerce as a gently caress.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I remember when recycling was advocated as a public good rather than a profit center. Like sure glass and metal especially will get recycled to the point where people will recycle metal without asking the current owner, but as a society we should spend the time and money on recycling plastic and paper because less trash is a good thing that has its own value. And at some point this got bastardized into the current situation where rich countries are cutting costs on recycling by privatizing it to companies who just offshore it to places without oversight that will treat the "recyclables" as trash, which is still more expensive and environmentally destructive than properly landfilling it locally.

We could spend a bit more and actually recycle this stuff because it's the right thing to do, or deal with it as trash because in terms of cost it is, but instead we have somehow gotten into a middle ground that is the worst of both worlds.

https://i.imgur.com/XoBobbt.mp4

Glass recycling can be encouraged by putting deposits on bottles and washing them out.

As always, the problem is capitalism. It inevitably leads to these solutions as the motivation is not the "best" outcome but the most profitable.

The only reason glass and metal get recycled is because companies that do so are more cost competitive as their raw materials are cheaper.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Drone_Fragger posted:

As always, the problem is capitalism.

Hmmm maybe, but then what's the solution?

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
Well I hope you're all happy, you've awoken Stalin.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

Young, dumb, and full of eight weeks of feces

Bolsonaro?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I remember that back when soda bottles were made of harder plastic, they were washed out and re-used, too, rather than being scrapped as is the case with softer plastic bottles. At least this was the case in Denmark, where during my youthful overconsumption of a specific soda brand, I ended up repeatedly getting the same bottle with the same scuff/scrape mark.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

that's not recycling, that's reuse :eng101:

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

It’s fine, nature will simply take it all away, what’s the problem?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeDY3I841q0

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghostlight posted:

that's not recycling, that's reuse :eng101:

At some point they wear out and that's when Owens-Corning or whatever buys them and makes insulation.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

other people posted:

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah Turkey and Greece really trying to sneak by down there :hmmno:

I have some bad new for you two.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Saw an old man get run over by a jacked up jeep in a grocery store parking lot a few months ago. The #JEEPGANG suburban mom just slowly drove into him as he was going through the crosswalk 5 feet in front of her because she couldn't see him. Jeeps and their owners are as cursed as the F-250 cohort.

Lt. Cock
May 28, 2005

INCOMING!
At some point in the last five years or so Jeeps became this boutique vehicle for 55+ men in my city to customize with garish body wraps and other bullshit. They all look like cars a twelve year old boy would draw up.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

other people posted:

Sorry about your colorblindness

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

Saw an old man get run over by a jacked up jeep in a grocery store parking lot a few months ago. The #JEEPGANG suburban mom just slowly drove into him as he was going through the crosswalk 5 feet in front of her because she couldn't see him. Jeeps and their owners are as cursed as the F-250 cohort.

Just nature's way of thinning the old and infirm out of the herd.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bald Stalin posted:

More capitalism!!!!!!!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Neoliberalism?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
No, pretty sure it's more capitalism.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

As always, cartoonists provide the answers we're looking for.

https://imgur.com/Y7wO3tR

(In a url since it may upset your boss if they see this at work 🤫)

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

'Greenwashing'

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Drone_Fragger posted:

As always, cartoonists provide the answers we're looking for.

https://imgur.com/Y7wO3tR

(In a url since it may upset your boss if they see this at work 🤫)

I refuse to believe Ben Garrison drew that as it depicts a commie as being right.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I refuse to believe Ben Garrison drew that as it depicts a commie as being right.

Wow ya think

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Bald Stalin posted:

Posting online with a snarky tone.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Android Apocalypse posted:

"Class" being "right"???? Reported.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Right and left are distractions. Might makes might is all you need to know. Might has always made might, and different planning horizons have granted planners different advantages, like only me being mighty vs ensuring my grandchildren's grandchildren also be mighty. The right are only more shortsighted than the left. Fight the right, then fight the left.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
walmart.jpg

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Catastrophe posted:

walmart.jpg

I think it might be too late for him.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

Catastrophe posted:

walmart.jpg

Buster Bluth in his twilight years.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Railing Kill posted:

Buster Bluth in his twilight years.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Catastrophe posted:

walmart.jpg

Wow, Robert Heinlein is still alive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?