Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Captain Splendid posted:

"The Beach That Makes You Old" is actually taken from a 2021 film.

The film is about a beach that makes you old.

... is this a thing people say ... ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Captain Splendid posted:

Frederik Peeters (who illustrated the original album the film was based on) is not Benôit Peeters (who wrote the Les Cités obscures albums). The main reason I conflated them was that the authors of LCo were listed as Schuiten - Peeters, and usually the illustrator is mentioned second.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

credburn posted:

... is this a thing people say ... ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etaA94eM2AE

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

FreudianSlippers posted:

Australia really has a village named after the historical novel Ivanhoe ?

i mean, is it so unusual? *gestures at california*

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Frederik Peeters (who illustrated the original album the film was based on) is not Benôit Peeters (who wrote the Les Cités obscures albums). The main reason I conflated them was that the authors of LCo were listed as Schuiten - Peeters, and usually the illustrator is mentioned second.

and neither of them are Ted Benoît who wrote Cité Lumière

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Carthag Tuek posted:

i mean, is it so unusual? *gestures at california*

True.

If we somehow stumble upon a new previously hidden world to ravage and devastate there'll for sure be towns called Tatooine and Westeros and Batman.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

I found out the opening line of Seal's 1989 song, "Crazy"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fc67yQsPqQ&t=20s

is about Mikhail Gorbachov doing glasnost

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FreudianSlippers posted:

True.

If we somehow stumble upon a new previously hidden world to ravage and devastate there'll for sure be towns called Tatooine and Westeros and Batman.

i think theres a batman in the balkans but i think its a coincidence

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

It’s in Türkiye

We’ll see you next week, same Batman District, same Batman Province

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

root beer posted:

It’s in Türkiye

We’ll see you next week, same Batman District, same Batman Province

thx :tipshat:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Um actually it's in Kurdistan.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Reminds me of that guy that changed his name to be basically a long string of popular food chains, because in the country he was in, a popular way of doing restaurant promotions was "if your name is [e.g.] Kentucky, you get free fried chicken this week!"

...and then got stuck with that name, after the government put a limit on how many times you can change your name because they got sick of all the overhead from the promotions.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this guy rules and i hope his dad is named Suparman bin Spidarman

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
the Great Lakes only started to form 14,000 years ago

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Empty Sandwich posted:

the Great Lakes only started to form 14,000 years ago

there was a huge inhabited peninsula in the north sea between england, the netherlands, and denmark. human settlements and forests and roaming animals, way up until only around 8-9 thousand years ago

e: doggerland

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Carthag Tuek posted:

there was a huge inhabited peninsula in the north sea between england, the netherlands, and denmark. human settlements and forests and roaming animals, way up until only around 8-9 thousand years ago

kick-rear end

e:

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-the-great-lakes-formed-lake-huron-archaeology

this article talks about underwater archaeology for similar sites in the lakes.

Empty Sandwich has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Jan 19, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Wish I could go there and see all the cute doggers

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Similarly, Australia and New Guinea used to form a single landmass known as Sahul, which is how early humans managed to migrate there from what is now Indonesia despite their limited oceanfaring techniques at the time

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Carthag Tuek posted:

Wild to be reminded how ephemeral the coasts of countries really are on the longer scale.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

who's a good land mass, that's right, you are

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Pookah posted:

Wild to be reminded how ephemeral the coasts of countries really are on the longer scale.

I'm reminded of the Terry Pratchett book where an island pops up out of nowhere, and all the various nations rush to claim it as their own.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm reminded of the Terry Pratchett book where an island pops up out of nowhere, and all the various nations rush to claim it as their own.

Jingo.

Good book.

Does a very clever thing with fonts where people who are speaking Klatchian (basically Arabian and/or Turkish) have a vaguely Middle Eastern looking font but non-native speakers have Rs in the same font as the rest of the book because they can't get them right and first generation Klatchian immigrants in Ankh-Morpork (Fantasy London) have the normal font except their Rs are in the Klatchian font.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Shrek was modeled (visually) after an actual person

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Terry Pratchett will go down in history as a great political and social writer who sent his message almost entirely via very good comic writing.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Pookah posted:

and its not even that long when you think about it. i mean i tend to think of geography being basically the same in geologic time, so hundreds of thousands or millions of years, but nope this is not very long ago at all.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

You can still see remnants of the past self today

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Here I am just now realizing Seal's face was once real smooth?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

is about Mikhail Gorbachov doing glasnost

Gosh that's a big smoke detector!

I didn't know that about the song either, that's really cool.

FreudianSlippers posted:

True.

There's places called Batman in Australia, after a guy with that surname, because "batman" is British for a kind of military officer's servant/second-in-command.

Also he was a violent, murderous, monstrous shitstain and nothing should be named after him.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Pookah posted:

Terry Pratchett will go down in history as a great political and social writer who sent his message almost entirely via very good comic writing.
It's already basically impossible to have a conversation about how expensive it is to be poor without the boots analogy coming up. I'm doing my part.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

doctorfrog posted:

who's a good land mass, that's right, you are

"Ruff!" - terrain

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

credburn posted:

Here I am just now realizing Seal's face was once real smooth?

probably as a child, but not in that video. hence the bangs

Inceltown posted:

i always wondered where that word come from, that makes total sense!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Inceltown posted:

lol

batman is the word for basically an officer's military butler in English English. JRR Tolkien had one in WWI and that's basically Sam Gam.

anyway, there's a joke early on in Gravity's Rainbow where the batman is named Bruce Wayne

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Alfred is Batman's batman.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Hyperlynx posted:

Alfred is Batman's batman.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

Um actually it's in Kurdistan.

:hmmyes:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Hyperlynx posted:

Gosh that's a big smoke detector!

I didn't know that about the song either, that's really cool.

There's places called Batman in Australia, after a guy with that surname, because "batman" is British for a kind of military officer's servant/second-in-command.

Also he was a violent, murderous, monstrous shitstain and nothing should be named after him.

There's a ton of parks and other features around Melbourne named after John Batman and we're slowly getting around to changing them, although every single time we have to go through the usual "Heritage not hate"/"Muh childhood!!"/"That was all in the past just get over it" song and dance.

Batman Park in Northcote got changed to Gumbri Park a few years ago

https://www.darebin.vic.gov.au/Community-and-pets/Aboriginal-Darebin/Our-commitment/Batman-conversations

Batman train station on the Upfield line still hasn't been changed

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Captain Splendid posted:

It is, however, cognate with "car" :geno:

... in that it's short for "horseless carriage," right? Or is that just "horseless horsecart?"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Baron von Eevl posted:

... in that it's short for "horseless carriage," right? Or is that just "horseless horsecart?"

cart is apparently a whole different word

horse & car both come from PIE *ḱr̥sós (“vehicle”)
cart comes from PIE *gret- (“tracery; wattle; cradle; cage; basket”)

also i just learned that henchman is cognate to the danish "hest"*, ie a dude who handles the horses i guess

* which is from PIE *kankest- (“horse”), so suck it with your weird other words lmbo

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Splendid posted:

based on a 2011 comic about a beach that makes you old