Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Chad lives!!!!!!!

I don't even care if it's good or not anymore lmfao I'm gonna fucken watch that poo poo

Edit: loving perfect pagesnipe loving yes lets go chad

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

There's enough difference between the Simpsons VAs in 2024 and the same VAs in seasons 1-8 Simpsons that new VAs would sound noticeably different. Nobody would care though.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

theflyingexecutive posted:

There's enough difference between the Simpsons VAs in 2024 and the same VAs in seasons 1-8 Simpsons that new VAs would sound noticeably different. Nobody would care though.

"Let's all go out for frosty chocolate milkshakes." It sounds so goddamn...wrong.

I recently watched a Simpsons compilation spanning the entire series. I haven't watched a new ep of The Simpsons in over a decade. Poor Marge's voice is clearly not holding up as well as the others. It makes me think of the anime One Piece, the dub VA for Luffy, Colleen Clinkenbeard, has talked openly about how she just can't record as long as she used to because the Luffy voice hurts too much. It's kinda like Marge insofar as it's very hoarse or raspy and unnatural.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Chad lives!!!!!!!

I don't even care if it's good or not anymore lmfao I'm gonna fucken watch that poo poo

Edit: loving perfect pagesnipe loving yes lets go chad

Waiting impatiently for it to hit da trackers!!!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I have a deep dive The O.C. question for everyone...

I'm currently reading Welcome to The O.C by Alan Sepinwall, as a very formulative show for me so I'm intrigued by a decent retrospective of it. The book is great, except...

It's covering the end of Season Two, when Trey is shot dead by Marissa, and it's talking about the use of Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek in the scene. The book, and everyone in it, is talking about this scene like it was the perfect match of song and story, which the show HAD managed many times before, and how it's beloved.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, I remember the general opinion being that it was a loving stupid choice? I remember people thinking that the sudden blast of music into the scene was really comic and jarring, and I remember it being lampooned a lot and generally playing into the narrative that Season Two was rubbish.

Am I wrong? Do people actually like/did they actually like this song/scene combination at the time?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I remember it the same way as you, yeah. There’s a reason Dear Sister became so popular.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

PriorMarcus posted:

I have a deep dive The O.C. question for everyone...

I'm currently reading Welcome to The O.C by Alan Sepinwall, as a very formulative show for me so I'm intrigued by a decent retrospective of it. The book is great, except...

It's covering the end of Season Two, when Trey is shot dead by Marissa, and it's talking about the use of Imogen Heap's Hide and Seek in the scene. The book, and everyone in it, is talking about this scene like it was the perfect match of song and story, which the show HAD managed many times before, and how it's beloved.

But, correct me if I'm wrong, I remember the general opinion being that it was a loving stupid choice? I remember people thinking that the sudden blast of music into the scene was really comic and jarring, and I remember it being lampooned a lot and generally playing into the narrative that Season Two was rubbish.

Am I wrong? Do people actually like/did they actually like this song/scene combination at the time?

Are you listening to the Melinda Clarke and Rachel Bilson rewatch podcast as you watch it?
They have pretty much of the entire cast on at some point and some decent other guests (but obviously couldn't get Chris Pratt or Olivia Wilde)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

EricBauman posted:

Are you listening to the Melinda Clarke and Rachel Bilson rewatch podcast as you watch it?
They have pretty much of the entire cast on at some point and some decent other guests (but obviously couldn't get Chris Pratt or Olivia Wilde or the guy who ended up murdering his family)

I am not. I'm just reading the book right now, but I'm planning to rewatch it after I've finished Cyberpunk 2077. So I'm probably pair it with the podcast then.

Have they finished the show, or?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

Agree. It’s really mean.

This and having 3 other characters acting like Reacher really didn't work for me.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

PriorMarcus posted:

I am not. I'm just reading the book right now, but I'm planning to rewatch it after I've finished Cyberpunk 2077. So I'm probably pair it with the podcast then.

Have they finished the show, or?

Yeah, late last year I think

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Watched the first episode of the new season of Love on the Spectrum. It's a weird balance between being infantilising and cute, but I'm mostly cringing myself to death and trying not to feel bad at doing it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

I remember it the same way as you, yeah. There’s a reason Dear Sister became so popular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saEzQcayEPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmd1qMN5Yo0

In case anyone else hasn't seen it. I just found out it was inspired by the OC last year hahaha

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
My biggest memory from that was all the Youtube fan edits that popped up for a few weeks, but quickly went away because Youtube started caring about copyright and DMCA stuff. The "Duck Season, Rabbit Season" Looney Tunes edit with song mixed over it was just perfect. I was also partial to one with a long food fight scene from Step by Step.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The Brothers Sun is the most bingeable show this year so far. Not only has great action and intriguing characters, it has all the nice flourishes of smartly observed familial life. Like it feels real too which is hilarious because the plot and violence is so heightened and absurd.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/comedy-central-daily-show-host-no-choice-correspondents-1235879076/
Well, Variety is reporting that Comedy Central has reached a decision about the next Daily Show host and they're just not going to bother right now.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

muscles like this! posted:

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/comedy-central-daily-show-host-no-choice-correspondents-1235879076/
Well, Variety is reporting that Comedy Central has reached a decision about the next Daily Show host and they're just not going to bother right now.

That's fine, nobody watches the Daily Show during an election year anyway

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

muscles like this! posted:

This is so incredibly stupid. On the one hand, The Daily Show of the Jon Stewart era was basically a satire of Nightly News shows that no one really watches anymore, so might as well mix up the formula (though it stopped even being satire at some point, and just straight up making fun of other news networks directly). On the other hand, the host becomes the face of the show, the standard bearer. The one who represents the show on other shows. Yeah, the correspondents can do that, but to a far lesser degree. I know Stewart also served as at least one of the show runners along with the main producer (I don't know about Trevor Noah, but I think he had somewhat the same role). I'm guessing they're doing this for financial reasons? You have to pay a host more than the correspondents.

So are they just going to have different correspondents read the headlines each night? Or turn it into a fake news panel show instead? Or something more modern than old person me can't predict?

Gripweed posted:

That's fine, nobody watches the Daily Show during an election year anyway

This is a good point, too. This seems like the perfect time to put their best foot forward. Oh well.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 19, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The amount of ambiguity in all of this makes me think they are in active negotiations for a new host, they are trying to lowball, and are going to say “see the show works just as well without a host so maybe we don’t need you.”

What’s stranger about all of this is that they have brought new correspondents onboard during the guest host era. So, it’s not like they were pulling back on developing the show.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I finally finished watching Seinfeld and while I knew about the last episode by forum osmosis, absolutely nobody warned me about the music over the last clip show montage lol

mystes
May 31, 2006

I haven't watched the daily shows in years but the jon stewart parts were always much better than the parts with the correspondents. I guess if they're going to have the correspondents do the part the host would do it might be ok but if they're just going to do a bunch of correspondent bits I can't imagine that being at all good.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I say bring back Craig Kilborne for the Daily Show

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Shageletic posted:

The Brothers Sun is the most bingeable show this year so far. Not only has great action and intriguing characters, it has all the nice flourishes of smartly observed familial life. Like it feels real too which is hilarious because the plot and violence is so heightened and absurd.

I agree. Big recommendation from me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Was it Beth Littleford who was driven off the show because of Kilbourne’s sexual harassment? They should find that person and give them the show.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

I say give it to Ziwe.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

I finally finished watching Seinfeld and while I knew about the last episode by forum osmosis, absolutely nobody warned me about the music over the last clip show montage lol

lmao that loving owned

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Reacher finale was a big wet fart on a big wet turd of a season. Just a ton of murder and sadist acts from "the good guys".

I knew it was a fluke that I liked season 1 of a show my dad loves

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Raspberry Bang posted:

I say give it to Ziwe.

With special correspondent Chet Hanks

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Look, it was the late 90s, using Good Riddance (Time of your Life) in a completely sincere way during any sort of montage was all the rage.

Try and find me a high school class from 98 to 2001 that DIDN'T have that as a class/prom song.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Look, it was the late 90s, using Good Riddance (Time of your Life) in a completely sincere way during any sort of montage was all the rage.

Try and find me a high school class from 98 to 2001 that DIDN'T have that as a class/prom song.

It was definitely the class song when I graduated high school in 2002.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

We had a cover of it by some band kids at mine in 2001. It was inescapable if you were born in the usa.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I didn't mind the Reacher finale but overall felt the investigation aspect itself was just weak.

I still will watch season 3 and see him throw people around and stuff. I do hope it's more just him in a small town passing through

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I’m fine wherever he is as long as it’s more mystery stuff and less military team shooting everyone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When my brother's class graduated they played "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins as their walkoff

That was a coup by whoever slipped it past the organizers "Just listen to the first two lines and turn it off it's all good after that"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Digital Jedi posted:

I didn't mind the Reacher finale but overall felt the investigation aspect itself was just weak.

I still will watch season 3 and see him throw people around and stuff. I do hope it's more just him in a small town passing through

I definitely want more investigating. I think some people didn't like the army flashback stuff, but I liked it for the simple fact that they were investigating a crime. The crime was interesting, and the investigating was interesting. The season overall felt like "Ok, we figured out what happened. Time to start killing people." I find it hard to believe they were given the all clear to just kill all these people without bringing anyone in. Especially to launch a ground to air missile inside the US.. I want more of Reacher being almost too good at figuring things out and less shooting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Raspberry Bang posted:

I say give it to Ziwe.

She really is the only person I've seen being direct with people in a cutting way that reminded me of why I used to like Daily Show and stuff. You can find plenty of cutting commentary online these days but traditional media is still pretty toothless.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

thrawn527 posted:

This is so incredibly stupid. On the one hand, The Daily Show of the Jon Stewart era was basically a satire of Nightly News shows that no one really watches anymore, so might as well mix up the formula
I agree and wholy endorse the return of Craig Kilbourne.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Reacher finale was a big wet fart on a big wet turd of a season. Just a ton of murder and sadist acts from "the good guys".

I knew it was a fluke that I liked season 1 of a show my dad loves

Everything about that show screamed Boomer Bait and I don't know how goons got themselves into it. Is it because man comically big?

On the other hand I just watched episode 1 of Hazbin Hotel because Amazon Prime suggested it and there's a TV-IV thread, and it made me scream "What the gently caress did I just watch?" in my head, so maybe I'm the old-rear end?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LifeLynx posted:

Everything about that show screamed Boomer Bait and I don't know how goons got themselves into it. Is it because man comically big?

The average goon age is at least forty something.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I liked the movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

On the other hand I just watched episode 1 of Hazbin Hotel because Amazon Prime suggested it and there's a TV-IV thread, and it made me scream "What the gently caress did I just watch?" in my head, so maybe I'm the old-rear end?

The second season is just boomer bait avengers but the first season was really fun and perfectly walked the very thin line between it just being what you expect, and what is as with a hilariously competent hulk Sherlock Holmes rolling through a town and steamrolling a bunch of hateable jerks.