Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Beginning of the next act, confirmed that Belphagor is going to take the spotlight and he's been living in the Priest's soul space. For some extra content, there are chapter omake's that get posted to Dex which add additional context to some chapters.

Heart Gear: Didn't even know this was coming back but it's good to see the author is in good health again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weed Wolf
Jul 30, 2004
Hooray, it's Heart Gear! Heart Gear has come to see us!

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Ranger Reject: Still just along for the ride but this chapter could have used a lot more characters saying cringe.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

Ranger Reject: Still just along for the ride but this chapter could have used a lot more characters saying cringe.

No no you see, using modern slang taints the purity of the Japanese language which has no slang.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Dawgstar posted:

No no you see, using modern slang taints the purity of the Japanese language which has no slang.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
New series in MangaPlus premiered today: Girl Meets Rock! - it's not bad, but my initial take of it is (as someone who never watched it) that it's "we have Bocchi the Rock at home" :geno:

Beat & Motion: Awww :3

Rugby Rumble: Yamada is my favorite kid of idiot :allears:

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
My girlfriends goosebumps: such a sweet ending. To be honest I don’t think this one was for me. I caught up to it late because of the chatter here and the premise was pretty insane. But It was an interesting and (to me) confusing read

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Goosebump Girlfriend: Sad to see it go. There was definitely more story to tell but I think the author managed to land nice enough.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Goosebump Girflriend: With crazy premise and a pretty memorable first chapter, it never wasted time and had lightning fast development with constant twists and turns and, to my constant surprise, despite the fact that the whole series was build around the Yandere cliché, which is pretty drat tired at this point, the characters and relationships were actually not tropey, but solidly written and realistic. And while I could still see the story being expanded and continuing for a while without feeling like being stretched out, it still managed to conclude everything gracefully and have solid, satisfying ending. Easy 8/10 and I will be on lookout for the next series of this author.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Shinji2015 posted:

New series in MangaPlus premiered today: Girl Meets Rock! - it's not bad, but my initial take of it is (as someone who never watched it) that it's "we have Bocchi the Rock at home" :geno:

It has some neat moments, and seems to be it's own brand of humour, so while the premise and timing is certainly going to draw comparisons, it's at least worth giving a chance.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
Couple of remarks on a couple of manga that have ended:

Goosebump Girlfriend: The ending is not as good as the beginning, and if anything, I would have like to see how their reformed relationship grow into what we see in the ending. I believe this manga could have been like Kaguya-sama: Love is War but yanderes instead of tsunderes, but alas, the moment Haruka decided not to cheat on Kisaki the manga very much ventured away from that yandere edge.

Service Wars: This manga ended a while ago. It was a funny manga that did not take itself too seriously. I also like how the battles were mostly done through acts of being a service worker. Unfortunately, the manga burned through a lot of jokes quickly, and if anything became too repetitive, the narrative would shift gears into something slightly else e.g. shift from working in a small restaurant into a tournament arc. Eventually, the battles just became regular battles with the aesthetics of being acts of a service worker, and I feel like there was additional jokes it could have used e.g. include how service is done internationally. Nonetheless, at least the manga stuck to a satisfying ending.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Elfface posted:

It has some neat moments, and seems to be it's own brand of humour, so while the premise and timing is certainly going to draw comparisons, it's at least worth giving a chance.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that it was bad; I'm hoping it continues to develop its own identity. Like I said, I've never seen Bocchi, so it's entirely a knee-jerk reaction.

Oh, and for anyone who missed it: Red Cat Ramen is getting an anime. The manga seems tailor made for cheap shorts, so as long as it's not as cheap as something as Way of the House-Husband was, I won't have anything to complain about

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006
It has close to nothing in common to bocchi, are people doing the boss baby bit.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Getting a lot of 'Boss Baby' vibes from your post.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Light music club? You mean it's like Shiori Experience?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Bocchi is a talented hard working musical genius with crippling anxiety but is surrounded by people who are perfect for helping her. And Ryo.

Chihiro is a drifting idiot who bought a fancy guitar before learning to play and it looks like there's gonna be real friction between people. Very different arcs and vibes even if the setting is similar.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

A Sometimes Food posted:

Bocchi is a talented hard working musical genius with crippling anxiety but is surrounded by people who are perfect for helping her. And Ryo.

Chihiro is a drifting idiot who bought a fancy guitar before learning to play and it looks like there's gonna be real friction between people. Very different arcs and vibes even if the setting is similar.

Didn't read the manga, but this is making it sound like Chihiro is one of those people who bought a guitar because they watched Bocchi.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Light music club? You mean it's like Shiori Experience?
Speak of the devil at the crossroads and he will appear. We got a new chapter this month :woop:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Finally gave Dogsred a read.

First impression: oh yeah, this is going to keep up the Golden Kamui humor style. Maybe a bit too much with the art though. Noda has a very strong style, which I like, but the character designs outside of the main characters, and honestly including many of the main characters, look almost exactly like characters from GK. Like, too many to bother listing. Not exactly a negative, but I hope he takes some time to mature the designs a bit. The action is great and the physical comedy is still top notch.

The chapter acknowledging the earth quake and tsunami was a bit odd, I get why it was included, but had hoped it would maybe factor more into the story. It a bit jaded with how it is though. Just "this thing happened, it has no baring on the story though, moving on".

I assume that a lot of the reverse fan service and lewd humor will be toned down in this series since it's in Shonen Jump proper instead of the Seinen brand magazine, which is for the best. Golden Kamui went really far with that towards the.... well all of it really.

I recommend, and hope it does well enough to get a good run and hopefully a satisfying conclusion.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Crain posted:

I assume that a lot of the reverse fan service and lewd humor will be toned down in this series since it's in Shonen Jump proper instead of the Seinen brand magazine, which is for the best. Golden Kamui went really far with that towards the.... well all of it really.
even though it's on mangaplus and under viz's shonen jump imprint, it's actually serialized in weekly young jump, a seinen magazine

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

Crain posted:

the character designs outside of the main characters, and honestly including many of the main characters, look almost exactly like characters from GK..

the star system works :colbert:

Crain posted:

reverse fan service

hot men are just as fanservice as hot women :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh is that what 'reverse fan service' is? I was really confused by that for a moment.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Yeah, "reverse" fan service was not the best description.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

'Is this supposed to be sexy? They're just selling fruits, I don't get why everyone's blushing so much'

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Just some dudes sumo wrestling after a nice hearty stew.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Oh sorry, wrong picture.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Witch Enforcer: lol welp

Rugby Rumble: "we came prepared... to double tackle!" :geno:

Magical Girl Tsubame: :stare:

I really do like the manga's use of color

Girl Meets Rock!: okay, we're getting into gear now. I am enjoying this so far

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
gently caress, Magical Girl Tsubame is so good.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

UU: So, uh... why is this chapter named after Top?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

UU: So, uh... why is this chapter named after Top?

An error I would guess.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MMA: Genuinely excited to see the outcome of the match.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
I have no idea whats going on in Kagurabachi but it was pretty cool.

Hyped for the big event in Akane, i hope we get to see her Tanuki Dice in her own words

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Two On Ice: everyone's reaction to this guy being "...the gently caress is wrong with you?" was pretty good

Blue Box: oh no :ohdear:

Dawgstar posted:

MMA: Genuinely excited to see the outcome of the match.

Same

Cipher Academy: I get him becoming Code Emperor is huge, but man it does not feel earned

The God Before Me:: I hate to say it, but as someone with barely any understanding of shogi, I might need someone in the manga to explain to me what he was doing that was so crazy

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Shinji2015 posted:

Cipher Academy: I get him becoming Code Emperor is huge, but man it does not feel earned

It feels like the series was "soft-cancelled" - it's been performing unwhelmingly in the rankings lately, so I guess the author had to speed up the ending somewhat.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Speaking of rankings: https://www.jajanken.net/en/issues/2024-02-05

Shadow Eliminators is doing better than it deserves, while Kagurabachi and Martial Master Asumi are doing poorly for some reason.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

It feels like the series was "soft-cancelled" - it's been performing unwhelmingly in the rankings lately, so I guess the author had to speed up the ending somewhat.

Yeah, it did feel like a climatic moment; I guess the finale's not far behind.

Silver2195 posted:

Shadow Eliminators is doing better than it deserves, while Kagurabachi and Martial Master Asumi are doing poorly for some reason.

Oh no, not MMA :smith:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I don't care about anything else in that bottom 5 except MMA. Gonna be genuinely pissed if it gets cancelled.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Shadow Eliminators is still in the mercy period, when ranking has nothing to do with popularity. Usually takes about eight weeks before real rankings come in. Kagurabachi isn't doing well, but there's a buffer for it right now so it doesn't need to worry yet. MMA... Well, we've seen this coming for a while, rough as it is.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
MMA has the slight buffer that other things are doing worse than it, and another series is wrapping up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I was just thinking that I was pretty meh on Kagurabachi but I assumed it was a popular series because it has a lot of eyes on Mangaplus. Maybe not.