Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
wohoo, supposed to get my BYD Song Plus DMi delivered next week, will post photos when I get it. For a PHEV, 18.3 kWh battery and 65 mile electric range sounds pretty nice.

For those of you in the captive american market, this is what it looks like:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Idk if I already posted this but if not I'm taking the opportunity to show off my red car

Hell yeah! More bolts than Frankenstein’s monster’s chiropractor.

So uh anyone ever have a problem with Plugshare? Because it’s telling me there isn’t a single working charger in the entire Northeast US. Meanwhile ChargeHub acknowledges the existence of the plugs I’ve seen around the area (that I know work from other people).

Mostly just curious if that’s just a bug or…? I don’t have anything to do except fret about if I got one of the jobs I interviewed for, so I’m gonna spend the weekend checking out the local charging infrastructure.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

ilkhan posted:

Is that a new trim or a model refresh?

It's an add-on appearance package for the GT trim that can be paired with black, metallic white, or Eruption Green paint colors.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cockmaster posted:

I've never seen an open e-stop button on any of the public chargers I've seen (AC or DC). Could this be specific to your area?

I think it's mandatory regulations on three-phase industrial equipments with more than a certain wattage. Alpitronic will put it just below the main screen as an optional item for instance.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Idk if I already posted this but if not I'm taking the opportunity to show off my red car

Xiahou Dun posted:

Sorry, I needed to make dinner for the person who's been helping me get back and forth to Connecticut to buy this thing :

Exterior only ; you gotta buy me dinner if you wanna see my knob.

The bad news is this means you're stuck with my posting.

Wayne Knight posted:

BOLT CREW
BOLT CREW
BOLT CREW

Cheap EV crew represent!

Freezer posted:

wohoo, supposed to get my BYD Song Plus DMi delivered next week, will post photos when I get it. For a PHEV, 18.3 kWh battery and 65 mile electric range sounds pretty nice.

For those of you in the captive american market, this is what it looks like:

Eager to hear more!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Kirios posted:

There are days where I feel like I’m the last of the LEAF crew.

RIP to the OG’s.

If I were into gangtags, I'd try to make one out of this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ahahaha :cripes:

(I'm using SA's attachment system so I can only do one image per post)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

darnon posted:

It's an add-on appearance package for the GT trim that can be paired with black, metallic white, or Eruption Green paint colors.

Yeah I wouldn’t even call it a new trim.

Maybe the performance improvement will let one actually hit 0-60 in 3.5 which to my knowledge no official test has.

While we’re taking Mach es:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The dealership and service model is so thoroughly broken and anti consumer, it’s ridiculous.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah I wouldn’t even call it a new trim.

Maybe the performance improvement will let one actually hit 0-60 in 3.5 which to my knowledge no official test has.

While we’re taking Mach es:

I'm curious how this was billed, did it somehow take 5 hours of labor?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
This kind of thing and the Hyundai dealer trying to scam for battery replacement is what also does a lot of damage to EV reputation and it’s all self inflicted. Never mind that ICE cars also charge folks for simple firmware updates too sometimes..

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm curious how this was billed, did it somehow take 5 hours of labor?

From further discussion in the thread I think it was actually 7 hours of labor. Apparently they bill the entire time it’s taking up a service bay. Some of which is probably appropriate as it needs a certain amount of “babysitting” ie installing one thing and then testing it and then installing the next thing, etc. but probably not 7 hours.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

It's probably only going to get worse as more cars have full on entertainment centers instead of infotainment ones in them. It isn't easy for car companies to also make decent software.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
One of the reasons it's so weird that car makers are moving away from Android Auto and Apple Carplay. My phone is always going to be a better more developed experience than the car maker's software.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

One of the reasons it's so weird that car makers are moving away from Android Auto and Apple Carplay. My phone is always going to be a better more developed experience than the car maker's software.

It's not weird

If they control the ecosystem they can charge you for it

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

FISHMANPET posted:

As someone going on month 7 of trying to get the Google/Android TV team to even look at an Android-side problem on my company’s billion dollar, Android TV-integrated, product, I have huge doubts about Google’s ability/motivation to fix anything.

Android Auto/Car Play may very well be objectively better experiences, but as a carmaker, I would absolutely loathe being at the mercy of Google/Apple to fix things impacting the experience of my customers if something goes wrong. Yes, I also want that sweet, sweet data all to myself.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Kirios posted:

There are days where I feel like I’m the last of the LEAF crew.

RIP to the OG’s.

Time has not been kind to mine - just dropped to 7 bars

My commute is exactly 40km though and I'm only in the office two days a week so I intend to keep it for at least another couple of years

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It isn't easy for car companies to also make decent software.
I'm pretty sure most of them contract things like software and interface UI out.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
https://www.carscoops.com/2024/01/ford-slows-f-150-lightning-output-while-ramping-ranger-and-bronco-production/

quote:

At the time, Ford CEO Jim Farley told Bloomberg that EV demand hasn’t grown as much as the company expected. He attributed this to high prices and inadequate charging infrastructure, which have discouraged consumers from entering the market.

Who sets the prices, Jimbo? And they're cutting production on Lightnings due to anticipated low demand, while shifting resources to Broncos and Rangers, which are both decreasing in sales already. Or in the rangers case, never had many sales to begin with.

The hell is wrong with Ford and GM?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Ford should never have launched the Lightning at its initial price point - it just set unrealistic expectations about what a BEV with a giant battery should cost.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
They've barely been able to build any of the new Rangers between the strikes and MY transition to the refreshed version. ~1100 units in the last 6 months of 2023.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Failson posted:

https://www.carscoops.com/2024/01/ford-slows-f-150-lightning-output-while-ramping-ranger-and-bronco-production/

Who sets the prices, Jimbo? And they're cutting production on Lightnings due to anticipated low demand, while shifting resources to Broncos and Rangers, which are both decreasing in sales already. Or in the rangers case, never had many sales to begin with.

The hell is wrong with Ford and GM?

Meanwhile, no mention of the Maverick, which either has a 9 month wait for orders or you can spend a $5k-10k markup on the lot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Doom Rooster posted:

As someone going on month 7 of trying to get the Google/Android TV team to even look at an Android-side problem on my company’s billion dollar, Android TV-integrated, product, I have huge doubts about Google’s ability/motivation to fix anything.

Android Auto/Car Play may very well be objectively better experiences, but as a carmaker, I would absolutely loathe being at the mercy of Google/Apple to fix things impacting the experience of my customers if something goes wrong. Yes, I also want that sweet, sweet data all to myself.

I think Apple and Google have a stronger impetus to keep their phones working properly. It's a whole lot easier to just give up and buy a different phone than it is to do the same with a car, yeah?
Never mind that, at least in Apple's case, you can deal with the manufacturer directly rather than through some chucklefuck dealer who doesn't want you there in the first place.

Civil posted:

Meanwhile, no mention of the Maverick, which either has a 9 month wait for orders or you can spend a $5k-10k markup on the lot.

Huh. Almost like people would like to drive something smaller than a house if it was reasonably priced with decent utility.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Civil posted:

They already fired up a third shift at Hermosillo back in June/July. EcoBoost order banks should be built out in 3-4 months (ETA: hell, there was a person who ordered an XLT Tremor like a week or two ago and it's already scheduled to build end February) although Hybrid and XL orders are still probably 6-7+ months.

darnon fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 20, 2024

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
Cars should be delivered in a box that you unpack

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Need a gang tag so everyone knows I'm hardcore

Just make sure it's the right dimensions and not over 150kb in size if anyone is making one for the Bolt and/or EV crew

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

dissss posted:

Ford should never have launched the Lightning at its initial price point - it just set unrealistic expectations about what a BEV with a giant battery should cost.

it should have been a lincoln blackwood

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Civil posted:

Bronco and Ranger are built in Detroit, same as the F-150. They are shifting some of the F-150 employees to the Bronco/Ranger plant.

quote:

Ford said that about 1,400 workers will be impacted by the move to lower F-150 Lightning production, with the Rouge Electric Vehicle Center transitioning to one shift, effective April 1. Approximately 700 employees will transfer to Ford's Michigan assembly plant while other workers will be placed in roles at the Rouge Complex or other facilities in Southeast Michigan.

Maverick is built in Mexico and they are not moving UAW members there so it had no reason to be mentioned in this story.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ilkhan posted:

I just want the manufacturers to figure out that they are allowed to sell direct in most states now.

Or at least setup some sort of priority for dealerships who do MSRP and no mandatory add ones to do last mile delivery for web orders that helps build allocation numbers without using their allocations for in person sales.

dealership owners are some of the biggest, loudest, and most empowered shareholders of automakers

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Celexi posted:

Motorcycles are delivered this way, it owns.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

trilobite terror posted:

dealership owners are some of the biggest, loudest, and most empowered shareholders of automakers
Yeah but they make money on service. They should welcome having more orders come through at near 0 effort.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

bird with big dick posted:

From further discussion in the thread I think it was actually 7 hours of labor. Apparently they bill the entire time it’s taking up a service bay. Some of which is probably appropriate as it needs a certain amount of “babysitting” ie installing one thing and then testing it and then installing the next thing, etc. but probably not 7 hours.

It shouldn't even be necessary to keep the car in an actual service bay if it's strictly a software problem.

Nfcknblvbl posted:

It's probably only going to get worse as more cars have full on entertainment centers instead of infotainment ones in them. It isn't easy for car companies to also make decent software.

I doubt cars would be getting full-on entertainment centers until they can drive themselves (without human supervision). Though that would of course introduce even more problems in that area.

Celexi posted:

it's been done in Africa:

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/09/ox-flat-pack-truck/

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Celexi posted:

In fairness, you would probably do a better job of assembling it than Tesla if you have ever put together a flatpack bed.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

how do people feel about the electric Kona? Hyundai's current promotion would drop one into my price range

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

https://twitter.com/solarbrewer/status/1746679864545935582

:lol: All of these are going to look like complete poo poo in a year.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just make sure it's the right dimensions and not over 150kb in size if anyone is making one for the Bolt and/or EV crew

lmbo at your new av

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/solarbrewer/status/1746679864545935582

:lol: All of these are going to look like complete poo poo in a year.

Youtube video: My Cybertruck - One year later!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
https://x.com/dril/status/1748549523084021896?s=46&t=rZSKUeck7nSOXV1R21vtWw

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

What's better than having one EV in the house? Having two.

2019 eGolf for my work commute became a no brainer due to free charging at work. It's compact and has like zero hp but it has that instant torque and it's fun to toss around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Look, the good news is the stainless steel is super easy to clea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX0QNDcjpH4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JONoBlYpNEY

Oh.