Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrLogan posted:

Gruden resigned. They aren't still paying him. I'm not sure why people keep repeating this.

Gruden and the Raiders worked out a settlement. It's entirely possible that settlement is being paid out in installments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

One thing I bet Mark Davis liked about Pierce was that he'll probably do it for a lot less money than some of these other big names

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

kiimo posted:

Am I crazy for thinking the Falcons would be morons to hire Bill over Jim if he's actually serious?

They are and have always been morons in Atlanta, OP.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

mcmagic posted:

It's funny for you to say this because making decisions going forward based on meaningless games antthe end of the season that are played after your season is already over is like the most Jets poo poo that ever Jetsed. I can guarantee you that there is no carryover.
You were recently criticizing the drafting decisions of the Houston Texans so your opinion is literally worthless.

Either way, you're basically saying "this guy who hasn't been a head coach before might not actually be a good head coach" which is like...yeah no poo poo. There's no way to tell aside from... y'know... making him HC and seeing what happens!

Except in this instance, the guy actually had over half a season of actually being a head coach and is pretty universally considered to have earned the job.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Black Sunshine posted:

You were recently criticizing the drafting decisions of the Houston Texans so your opinion is literally worthless.

Either way, you're basically saying "this guy who hasn't been a head coach before might not actually be a good head coach" which is like...yeah no poo poo. There's no way to tell aside from... y'know... making him HC and seeing what happens!

Except in this instance, the guy actually had over half a season of actually being a head coach and is pretty universally considered to have earned the job.

I was comparing him vs the people who we know are available in the open market who we know are good coaches. He might work out but basing that on what happened this season or what a few vet players want seems pretty risky to me.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

The Raiders going for a good vibes guy after several years of nuclear winter vibes seems like a reasonable gamble. Maybe it fails but if it does, surely Pierce isn’t on some kind of 5 years 60 million deal. They don’t need to handwring about moving on. Or maybe they struck gold. I like that they are giving him a shot.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I have a signed Pierce football, that's kinda neat.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Like I said before. Raiders just gently caress every hire up. Going "this dude had the team play well, lets hire him" is better than any move they've made in about 20 years.

I seriously cannot remember a coach they've had in that building in my entire time of fandom where I've watched and gone, drat raiders are humming except when Gruden was there or last season. Might as well try it.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

A top 10 defense and most people can't name a single Raiders defensive player other than Maxx. To me, that's huge and whoever's responsible for that needs to stay.

I'm personally tired of retreads so I wouldn't want Harbaugh (in this specific situation), Vrabel or Bill anyway. None of the "hot coordinators" are sure things just the same as AP isn't so it's all a dice roll.

One of the big things for me is that I don't want a coach with GM demands because that hasn't worked out lately for us. AP doesn't have the pull to demand that poo poo so at least it's a "normal" situation where the GM/HC have their own responsibilities.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Hiring AP and hoping he can find a good OC and QB feels like just as good of a gamble as hiring anybody else and hoping for the same thing

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Parallax posted:

Hiring AP and hoping he can find a good OC and QB feels like just as good of a gamble as hiring anybody else and hoping for the same thing

Yes and no. I still think if the Panthers hired Wilks and kept McAdoo as bad as he was in his tenure as a HC the panthers would have been better off than resetting with Reich. Bryce didn't perform great as a rookie, but things would have been a lot better without adopting a blocking scheme that wasn't a fit and having an OC that would have let him roll out and use his legs a lot more, exactly as he did with Darnold or Walker or whoever was suiting up.

We got rid of a coach the players liked and an OC who was at least smart enough to run the offense as it was built to take on a HC who tried to re-invent the wheel with square pegs in round holes who refused to start the guy they drafted because he wanted to completely change and rebuild his game in an unfamiliar scheme with new verbiage and responsibilities.

There's something to be said for continuity imo if the majority of the org is trending in the right direction.

AoC wasn't great and they have some pieces they could lose this year but I can envisage a world where they sign someone like Tannehill and sneak into a wildcard.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
https://x.com/josinaanderson/status/1748569037720703148?s=46

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't say "very well coached" they beat a few lovely teams, one good win against the chiefs. and also lost 3-0 to the mediocre vikings. I don't think anything happened during that time to make me think he's for sure a good coach other than that it seems like the vet players on team like him.

They beat the Chiefs. And the Raiders have one of the least talented rosters in football. There is only so much you can do when you have a talent deficiency. They were well coached. That was evident by watching their games. Even in the games they lost, they were competitive. There is a lot to be said about getting a team all pointed in the right direction considering how many teams fail to do so. As a Jets fan, I think you can appreciate the value in that.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sataere posted:

They beat the Chiefs. And the Raiders have one of the least talented rosters in football. There is only so much you can do when you have a talent deficiency. They were well coached. That was evident by watching their games. Even in the games they lost, they were competitive. There is a lot to be said about getting a team all pointed in the right direction considering how many teams fail to do so. As a Jets fan, I think you can appreciate the value in that.

I just don't think that "getting a team pointed in the right direction" in games in december after you're out of the playoffs already really matters at all. That doesn't mean he won't be a good coach but I don't buy that as a reason why.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mcmagic posted:

I just don't think that "getting a team pointed in the right direction" in games in december after you're out of the playoffs already really matters at all.

guess you don't have a future in the bears front office

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

The notion that games are meaningless once you're "out of the playoff hunt" is pretty stupid because every player is literally playing for their livelihood.

Will they lay their body out like helicopter Elway every play? probably not but they're still playing hard. If you play the game soft, that's when you get hurt.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean...the Raiders did not give up like the Eagles did and they were a goddamned playoff team. Well they didn't give up after McDaniels was gone, before that, well, yeah.

I'll credit them for that.

e: goddamn how toxic is Josh McDaniels? Just a thought that comes across my mind every time I think about him. How are you this bad at this? I wonder how bad meetings were to make everyone hate him so much.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 20, 2024

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Black Sunshine posted:

The notion that games are meaningless once you're "out of the playoff hunt" is pretty stupid because every player is literally playing for their livelihood.

Will they lay their body out like helicopter Elway every play? probably not but they're still playing hard. If you play the game soft, that's when you get hurt.

I think the main reason is that there is so much turnover on NFL rosters from year to year, even moreso on bad teams without QB's. And you can get fluky wins by running into teams at the right time. Its easy to craft the narrative you want but I wouldn't use the fact that the Jets beat the Eagles and the Texans as a reason for me to think that they are a well coached team.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I think the main reason is that there is so much turnover on NFL rosters from year to year, even moreso on bad teams without QB's. And you can get fluky wins by running into teams at the right time. Its easy to craft the narrative you want but I wouldn't use the fact that the Jets beat the Eagles and the Texans as a reason for me to think that they are a well coached team.

Not for nothing but you could make the argument that the raiders and jets have a comparable coaching hire history in terms of making the right choice. You wouldn't want the jets to stick with a guy who made a turn around mid season if Salah had been turfed?

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014
The last 2 seasons saw the Raiders & Panthers ignore what historically were pretty good runs by interim head coaches in order to hire from the outside. It is actually pretty rare for interim HCs to go .500 or better in the last 20 years, with Greg Williams run with the Browns being pretty much the outlier in interim HCs going better then .500 while coaching more then 4 games and not getting the job. Maybe Pierce sucks and the team rallied around him cause they hated McDaniels that much. But it does seem like a safer bet then ignoring an interim’s good run again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Not for nothing but you could make the argument that the raiders and jets have a comparable coaching hire history in terms of making the right choice. You wouldn't want the jets to stick with a guy who made a turn around mid season if Salah had been turfed?

No I would want one of the coaches on the market right now that I know are good. This is a very rare market this offseason. Most of the time the best coach available is some completely unproven assistant.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

mcmagic posted:

No I would want one of the coaches on the market right now that I know are good. This is a very rare market this offseason. Most of the time the best coach available is some completely unproven assistant.

I woulsnt think it unfair to say panthers, raiders and jets are in similar roster and qb positions right?

Some bits, some poo poo and a qb who might be useless but could use some time to see and a bunch of poo poo.

Across all 3 rosters.

None of us are getting Billy 5 Aces or harbaugh with the chargers / better situation right there.

I honestly wouldn't give a poo poo if we were hiring wiliks or pierce tbh. I mean right now panthers are rumoured to be in on Callahan who's a oc first time candidate or literally any number of a bunch.

I cant see pierce being a bigger swing

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Two of the coaches you "know" are good had two straight losing seasons and the other one hasn't been in the NFL for a decade and might not even come

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Black Sunshine posted:

mcmagic doesn't actually care about if Pierce is a good coach or not, he just hates him because he was a popular Giants player lol

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

mcmagic posted:

I just don't think that "getting a team pointed in the right direction" in games in december after you're out of the playoffs already really matters at all. That doesn't mean he won't be a good coach but I don't buy that as a reason why.

C'mon man... you've seen teams totally check out the last month of the season tons of times, including Philly this year.

If a team is spiraling mid-season and fires the head coach then it's actually quite a credit for the interim to step up, put out the fires, assess the issues which were responsible for said fires (scheme, player rotation, insufficient talent at X or Y, yada), make adjustments that are feasible when you don't have a bye and are limited by injury and general roster depth, get the coordinators and assistants on the same page with you, and figure out for them-loving-selves how to be a head coach.

This wasn't a "fired with two games to go, okay, get Dom Capers in here to steer the ship, I'm going to bathe in gin" style interim coaching job. It was drat near half a season, during which the Raiders had several memorable games, as in games non-Raiders fans remember and for good reasons!

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, yada, whatever, I'm not going to dispute that the Jets have had several years where coaches win enough to save their rear end (although the same coach guiding the early-season flop and late-season surge is a wholly different situation).

But here the Raiders are doing a thing that they failed to do last time, that has their players happy, that has their fans happy, and even has AFCW-neutral folks saying "hey that's cool to see". Why are you insisting that "re-orienting a lost squad in the right direction" is of no importance? Why would you just dismiss that entirely? Especially when you don't present anything to substantiate that viewpoint?

Unless...

I forget, are you a Knicks or Nets fan (or agnostic)?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Alaois posted:

mcmagic doesn't actually care about if Pierce is a good coach or not, he just hates him because he was a popular Giants player lol

This is true but it doesn't really affect my opinion here. I would want to hire a proven coach if I had a choice. It seems like they hired him because the players wanted them to which might or might not work out.

Parallax posted:

Two of the coaches you "know" are good had two straight losing seasons and the other one hasn't been in the NFL for a decade and might not even come

Good coaches have losing seasons all the time. It's not a guarantee of anything but if the position is open and you have the choice between a first timer and guys who you know are good I'm taking the later.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

When AFC West rivals are saying poo poo like "wow I can't believe Davis didn't gently caress this one up" then that's really all I need to feel good about not hiring another lovely "big name" retread coach.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Given the circumstances, Davis probably made the best choice. I'd imagine he has a short leash that they can abandon if removing the tag is a disaster.

Better than going for McDaniels, again.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LiquidFriend posted:

Given the circumstances, Davis probably made the best choice. I'd imagine he has a short leash that they can abandon if removing the tag is a disaster.

Better than going for McDaniels, again.

Wasn't there media reports that Harbaugh was at least interested in talking to the Raiders? Vrabel and Carroll are still out there even if Belichick wasn't going there.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Carroll is taking an exec spot.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

Vrabel, Bill and Harbaugh all want significant power within the organization and that just would've been really disappointing after the last two "ABSOLUTE POWER!" assholes that came through here.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

BlindSite posted:

Carroll is taking an exec spot.

He one billion percent wants to coach again. It was completely clear from his press conference.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mcmagic posted:

He one billion percent wants to coach again. It was completely clear from his press conference.

Maybe, but he’s not interviewing right now and hiring cycles don’t last that long so if he does want another head coaching job it doesn’t look like it will happen this year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

mcmagic posted:

Wasn't there media reports that Harbaugh was at least interested in talking to the Raiders? Vrabel and Carroll are still out there even if Belichick wasn't going there.

Parallax posted:

I think Harbaugh is 100% gone to the NFL in some fashion. The NCAA is a joke but he doesn't want to deal with that smoke and is now in a position where he doesn't have to. Plus there are more worlds to conquer for his ridiculously competitive self.

And for the first point he's willing to talk to anyone I think in order to get that done, I'd be amazed if it was the Raiders but I don't see him not picking up the phone to talk to them.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

mcmagic posted:

I'd say at least half of what we read is total bullshit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mcmagic posted:

It is a huge assumption that the Raiders could actually get one of those "good" coaches. The Falcons, Chargers, Commies, and Seahawks are all much more attractive positions, and even if they somehow succeeded in luring in Harbaugh or Belichick there's no guarantee those coaches will actually succeed on their new teams — plenty of coaches have gone into a new job with excellent records with their prior teams and failed badly. Hell, the Raiders literally did just that in hiring Gruden, and look where that got them.

The Raiders have a bad roster, play in a tough division, and have spent most of the past few years being a general embarrassment for everyone involved. They have a coaching candidate in the building who, if nothing else, can motivate the roster, play in tough games, and has a winning record as an NFL coach. They could do much worse in hiring a coach, and frankly elevating Pierce is much more dignified than trying and failing to debase themselves for Harbaugh.

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

Maybe firing McDaniel's was enough to get the players saying gently caress yeah lets play sum ball and it wouldn't matter who the interim was
Also did you watch that game they won v the chiefs? lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It is a huge assumption that the Raiders could actually get one of those "good" coaches. The Falcons, Chargers, Commies, and Seahawks are all much more attractive positions, and even if they somehow succeeded in luring in Harbaugh or Belichick there's no guarantee those coaches will actually succeed on their new teams — plenty of coaches have gone into a new job with excellent records with their prior teams and failed badly. Hell, the Raiders literally did just that in hiring Gruden, and look where that got them.

The Raiders have a bad roster, play in a tough division, and have spent most of the past few years being a general embarrassment for everyone involved. They have a coaching candidate in the building who, if nothing else, can motivate the roster, play in tough games, and has a winning record as an NFL coach. They could do much worse in hiring a coach, and frankly elevating Pierce is much more dignified than trying and failing to debase themselves for Harbaugh.

The Falcons and Seahawks and likely the chargers look like they are locked in to their guys no?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

mcmagic posted:

The Falcons and Seahawks and likely the chargers look like they are locked in to their guys no?

And aren't most of the guys they've locked into the exact same proven coaches you're saying the Raiders should have gone after? Those same proven coaches also have only been entertaining one team each. So who exactly were the Raiders supposed to pursue instead of Pierce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't say anyone is "locked in" right now, especially while candidates like Ben Johnson are still in the playoffs. But even if that's true, how many "Sure thing" coaches do you think there are? If the Seahawks end up with Dan Quinn, the Commanders with Ben Johnson, Chargers with Harbaugh, and Falcons with Belichick, who does that leave for the Raiders? Ejiro Evero? Aaron Glenn? Raheem Morris? Vrabel a the best case scenario there, but even then that's assuming he doesn't sign with another team.

Frankly, I wouldn't describe any coach as a "sure thing." Coaches are like players — they both thrive and wither based on their environment and supporting cast. I can see any of the above coaches getting fired in the next three to five years, and at least one almost certainly will. The NFL is as fast-paced as it is utterly ruthless, and today's GOAT all-too easily becomes tomorrow's washed-up bum.