Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pressed hams on the cybertruck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

lmao at anyone who has a cybertruck who lives near the ocean or in an area where they salt the roads in the winter.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

lmao at anyone who has a cybertruck

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

The DMC-12s have held up pretty well over 40 years or so but I'm not sure if that's just survivorship bias from obsessive DeLorean owners cleaning their cars regularly and not ever taking them out.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As someone new to the whole thing, what exactly is the nominal appeal of the cybertruck? It doesn’t appear to be able to do any truck-stuff outside of (possibly?) some pulling, and it looks like it came out of the bad kind of sci fi b movie.

Who is the target audience for this?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Xiahou Dun posted:

It's the certified Elon Musk Distraction Project (tm).

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Three Olives posted:

https://twitter.com/solarbrewer/status/1746679864545935582

:lol: All of these are going to look like complete poo poo in a year.

I think the Cybertruck is dumb as poo poo too, but that exact wording is in all Tesla owner manuals.

Something very similar is probably in the manual for your car.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

dissss posted:

I think the Cybertruck is dumb as poo poo too, but that exact wording is in all Tesla owner manuals.

Something very similar is probably in the manual for your car.

Most car manuals don't say "your car is entirely unpainted, not even a clear coat, all visible scratches are in the panel itself" and lots of dealerships try to upcharge you on additional protection for the underside and paint.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Salt water balloons would be a menace against those things

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
another reason to throw piss on a cybertruck if you happen to be unfortunate enough to see one

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

As a piss enthusiast that makes me kind of want one

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Xiahou Dun posted:

musk/Tesla dickriders

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
Can’t wait for the TikTok “stick your tongue to a frozen cybertruck” challenge next winter

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Triggerhappypilot posted:

The DMC-12s have held up pretty well over 40 years or so but I'm not sure if that's just survivorship bias from obsessive DeLorean owners cleaning their cars regularly and not ever taking them out.

DMC-12s get painted a lot because the stainless is a huge pain in the rear end to keep looking nice, also the Cybrtrk is made out of 301 stainless, which is slightly less corrosion resistant than the DMC's 304 stainless.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Also DMC-12s are not supposedly a truck and expected by morons to do truck things. Which often involves driving through a lot of crap!

There is a DMC-12 in my area and I have seen him driving it in some gnarly weather but I imagine when it's snow/ice/salt he keeps it parked in a nice garage. Looks like it is in good shape!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Jon Irenicus posted:

how do people feel about the electric Kona? Hyundai's current promotion would drop one into my price range

I drove the Kona EV for several months and it was pretty mediocre, I've posted about its issues itt as I was discovering them. I can't say that it has any major issues, just a lot of little annoying ones. It was like the design team's goal was to make the driver slightly annoyed in one thousand different ways.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

bird with big dick posted:

And here's the content of the EV thread I've come to know and WTF about

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Is this the old or new Kona?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

ilkhan posted:

Yeah but they make money on service. They should welcome having more orders come through at near 0 effort.

That's the big issue. The assumption is that EVs will require significantly less service than ICE cars, so when someone buys an EV instead of ICE that's a loss for the dealership.

On the other hand, couple weeks ago I read an article that EVs are hoped to help with the acute lack of mechanics. Tinkering with an EVs may sound more enticing for youths to enter in the business, than being elbow deep in engine oil.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Dunno if this was posted before (article from Nov) but CR found ev and phev the worst reliability category. I'm sure everyone's case is different but it was an interesting finding.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...rs-a1047214174/

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

As someone new to the whole thing, what exactly is the nominal appeal of the cybertruck? It doesn’t appear to be able to do any truck-stuff outside of (possibly?) some pulling, and it looks like it came out of the bad kind of sci fi b movie.

Friend, if you figure this out, please let the rest of us know.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Triggerhappypilot posted:

LOL at the ironly that the future may very well show that the DMC-12 was built with better materials and build quality than that Cybertrukkkkkk.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And here's the content of the EV thread I've come to know and WTF about

Please make the piss enthusiast post the thread title.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I didn’t realize piss enthusiasts was the EV target demographic.

I’m tired of everywhere I go people just assume I’m into piss and talk to me about it. I just wanted an EV for the cost savings!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I think that has more to do with being an astros fan.

GOMS

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
I hung this up at work

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

DoLittle posted:

Is this the old or new Kona?

The new Kona has only been available for a few months, I doubt anyone here has one. I saw one today at the dealership, the interior is much better and has more space. The exterior on the other hand...

I bought it used 2021 Kona ultimate after driving model 3 for almost 2 weeks. I found Kona to be an improvement in many ways.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Xiahou Dun posted:

Rabid Elon Musk fanboys who just want something that looks all futuristic and stuff, I would imagine.

Or just Elon Musk himself.

Though I have heard speculation that the Cybertruck is being used as a test bed for technology (48 volt architecture, steer-by-wire) that Tesla will put in the new Model Y.

Out of curiosity: Does anyone in this thread personally know anyone who has any intention of purchasing a Cybertruck?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Infinotize posted:

Dunno if this was posted before (article from Nov) but CR found ev and phev the worst reliability category. I'm sure everyone's case is different but it was an interesting finding.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car...rs-a1047214174/

Consumer reports reliability on cars is usually suspect as thy rate it on peoples opinion and people treat cars like poo poo, never read the manual. According to consumer reports our previous car was a money pit but in our experience it was only a money pit if you didn't maintain it

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Doesn't consumer reports also count some of the most trivial stuff on the level of "user doesn't know how to turn off the dome light" or "the floor mats get dirty and are hard to clean" as a reliability problem? I seem to remember reading some article where they rated some vehicle as the least reliable and through the entire list of problems they said it had none whatsoever prevented the vehicle from starting/driving for thousands of miles/getting prompt service/etc and multiple examples across all the vehicles tested amounted to the operators failure to read the manual.

It was like them saying a WiFi router was unreliable because they forgot their password.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I’m wondering how many people are actively complaining about their lovely ICE infotainment system that will never be updated?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
They split out powertrain from the rest in the actual car review, so it's pretty easy to ignore "unreliability" in fit and finish.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If I lived in a butt cold place I’d just get a hybrid. From an emissions perspective the most efficient hybrids are pretty close to BEVs. Depending on your state’s energy mix they are sometimes even greener. You don’t get the sickass instant torque but you save some money.

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Correct me if i’m wrong but almost all hybrids mean CVT, and as a traditional car guy that’s a bridge i refuse to cross

If i’m hearing an engine it needs to not sound like it has a badly slipping clutch

ICE or BEV, there is no in between

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

found you a new avatar

[Spoilered for crude cartoon schlong]

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ROFLBOT posted:

Correct me if i’m wrong but almost all hybrids mean CVT, and as a traditional car guy that’s a bridge i refuse to cross

If i’m hearing an engine it needs to not sound like it has a badly slipping clutch

The Kia/Hyundai hybrids have a DCT and it's not exactly a big win, even though its not quite as bad as Fords DCT... I hope. I own one.

The feeling of downshifting during regen braking is weird as hell, DCTs need more maintenance than Prius-style CVTs, and there's currently a recall where fluid leaks into PCBs can cause fires. I just got the letter that the repair is ready and I need to schedule it.

My understanding is that a lot of the reason the Ford Power shift exists, and why the Koreans are using DCTs in their hybrids, is to avoid patents on CVTs or traditional autos.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

ROFLBOT posted:

No the Volvo PHEV has a really nice setup with a pretty torquey rear electric motor with ICE driving the front wheels through an excellent 8spd transmission. You can even do the semi manual shifting!

It’s really loving fast for a midsize sedan/wagon/crossover. And 40mi pure electric range for just toodling around.

Straight pipes guys just did a review of the v60 version it’s basically identical to what I got in November and I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2C-KVqQgz4

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

ROFLBOT posted:

The Toyota eCVT set up is not like a traditional lovely one in a Nissan or whatever. Also in a driving appliance, hopefully everything is super quiet and you’re hearing very little/none - which is what everyone wants in a cruiser anyway. Every dct pretty much has some sort of issues and clunky at very low speeds. But Mazda should have ATs in their upcoming hybrid cars.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
I’ve got a Lexus HEV and the engine+CVT is barely noticeable sound wise. Not sporty by any means, but you get the electric motor kick when accelerating and its pretty efficient at 45mpg.

Unless you drive pretty aggressively the CVT should no longer be a dealbreaker imho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
Is there a consensus on whether it's better for battery longevity to charge back to your preferred max (e.g. 80%) every day or to run the battery down to 20% over the course of a few days then recharge?

I know it's a hot topic but I haven't found a consensus. Maybe that's my answer - there is no consensus and it's not worth worrying about?

I read my EV9's manual and it gives no recommendation.

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 21, 2024