Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

Also did this, my sister kept getting malware so I set her up with XP 64 and no software would run on it, not even malware.

I don't know if this was due to the hardware I was running it on, or that I knew how to track down drivers and such that would work, but that was never my experience. Everything worked fine for me, and it was my gaming machine for some years. To this day it's one of my favorite Windows versions, although I know that seems to be an outlier opinion.

Athlon 64 x2 4800+, 4GB DDR1, and a GeForce 9500 followed by a 9800. Probably a PCI wireless card at some point, but that is a foggier memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013

Thirst Mutilator posted:

To add a personal anecdote to this, I've hosed with writing code on Linux on my desktop and laptops in the past, and after seeing a good deal on a 14" M3 Pro, I finally gave in and bought it for personal use.

Every Linux experience of mine has involved trying to get something comfortable to work with (not necessarily working, granted) and still dealing with issues. That includes wrestling with drivers, webcams, HiDPI scaling, display/window server configurations, and even proper laptop sleep states, all because I thought dual booting Windows/Linux on my desktop/laptop would provide the best of both worlds, and I was spending time not just solving these issues but (admittedly hyperfixating on) research on what laptops would be strong enough to play games I was thinking about at the time while also having a Linux distro community large enough to help resolve issues if I ran into them.

But Apple Silicon is just so good at everything you'd ask for from a computer - build, battery, processing power under heavy AND light load, and if you buy a laptop, the screen - and they feel like complete products the moment you get your hands on them. I think nowadays the first question for any new laptop seeker with no clear idea where to start should be "why wouldn't an M series Macbook work for you?" There's still plenty of valid reasons not to choose one, like software/hardware needs and price, but if you're knowledgeable enough about those needs, you probably don't need advice on that level. Even price is more negotiable nowadays, thanks to refurbs/second hand Macbooks still being serviceable to very good.

I don't really have the need/desire to play games on the go anymore, and after using an Apple Silicon laptop for work, it finally convinced me to just buy one, and experience of using it these first few days absolutely dunks on the experience of first getting my previous Windows laptops and setting them up to be able to dual boot and troubleshoot any related issues. Yeah, my constraints/needs changed, but that's the point - if your needs don't require something that Apple Silicon can't provide at a price you're happy with, it's REALLY hard to beat Apple Silicon.

tl;dr gently caress Wayland, the snap package manager, and the S3 sleep state

Came into this thread to ask about the current state of Linux on (new) laptops but this has pretty much convinced me to not bother and just look at macbooks

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

A Banana posted:

Came into this thread to ask about the current state of Linux on (new) laptops but this has pretty much convinced me to not bother and just look at macbooks

FWIW I haven't messed around with Linux in close to 2 years because I had a Macbook for work but prior to that I was using an X1 Carbon 6 or maybe 7 for 2 years, which is where most of my frustrations come from. Both software and hardware have come a long way since then. Proton seems amazing for gaming, and at the time I got the X1 Carbon Intel was the leading CPU option, whereas now I can resolve to never buy a laptop with one and not feel like I'm compromising. I don't want to paint with TOO wide a brush, because I'm definitely not the most knowledgeable about Linux.

But IMO the calculus for trying to figure out if a laptop I'm considering adequately supports Linux remains the same. A week or two ago I was in the middle of googling current laptop models and rereading Arch wiki pages to ascertain their Linux viability and I had flashbacks to reading the Arch wiki and blog posts while troubleshooting the S3 sleep state issues I had. Things might be better, but I'm not going to put myself through the possibility of that experience again when I'm happy and willing to pay for a Macbook.

I do miss i3 though.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I recently started using i3's Wayland cousin, Sway and I love it. I hate going back to my MacBook for work and using some accessibility hack like ShiftIt to kind of get kind of similar features.

Anyways, I was working on building a custom PCB for my Kinesis Advantage 2 keyboard and I emailed the maintainer for help, and lo and behold it's the same guy that wrote i3.

The moral of the story is it seems like community giants have their fingerprints everywhere. It's like when I discovered that Git was written by Linus Torvalds.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

A Banana posted:

If you like MacOS this is probably the right choice. If you don't, you might, like me, find it consistently slightly annoying. I've had a Macbook for work for over a year now and I still would rather not. Also the periodic updates are more annoying than Linux periodic updates (but less annoying than periodic Windows updates).

Linux on new-ish laptops is generally pretty good now, though I personally would not like to try it on an absolutely brand new one because it's nice to have someone else iron out the driver issues first.

And I did still have to gently caress around with grub to get soft rebooting working, on mine, but if you're already asking about Linux then you're probably comfortable enough with it to do a couple of tweaks to get it working cleanly, and once that sort of thing's done it's good for a while.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lockback posted:

Not true anymore! The new AMD GPUs have closed the gap considerably. The 3050 in particular is really only 20-30% faster than the 780m integrated GPU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MnhR6K6UY0

Though it depends, some stuff is about the same, some stuff the 3050 wins by 60%. But the 3050 is kind of a cruddy dGPU. But the next gen RDNA is going to be even faster and probably generally be at or beating the 3050. So integrated GPUs have come a long, long way.

Maybe, but I just went on the iGPUs for stuff I saw on Amazon/best buy because I know its available. RDNA is great for the low-wattage stuff for sure, I loved my Steam deck (:rip:) and the performance was great. Buuut, all the Ryzen processors+no dGPU combos I saw for sale were older gens. Plus with laptops not having upgradable GPUs its worth going for at least a -60 card in the buy once cry once sense. Id be more comfortable. I would be more comfortable telling someone building a desktop they can use their iGPU than a laptop. At least with the desktop you can change your mind later.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Maybe, but I just went on the iGPUs for stuff I saw on Amazon/best buy because I know its available. RDNA is great for the low-wattage stuff for sure, I loved my Steam deck (:rip:) and the performance was great. Buuut, all the Ryzen processors+no dGPU combos I saw for sale were older gens. Plus with laptops not having upgradable GPUs its worth going for at least a -60 card in the buy once cry once sense. Id be more comfortable. I would be more comfortable telling someone building a desktop they can use their iGPU than a laptop. At least with the desktop you can change your mind later.

Costco has a $700 OLED laptop with a 780M
https://www.costco.com/hp-pavilion-plus-14%22-oled-2.8k-2880-x-1800-120hz-laptop---amd-ryzen-7-7840u---windows-11.product.4000214686.html

They aren't that uncommon at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Thats pretty great! I just went with the two places where I buy way too many laptops.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
I hope I'm able to ask this charger question here.

I've brought home a tiny dynabook laptop from work but forgot the charger. Can I use my Lenovo USB charger instead? It's 65w.

I'm not sure how I can work out what my laptop's model is, I went looking but I think everything has been renamed (or more likely, I am an idiot)

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Chewbecca posted:

I've brought home a tiny dynabook laptop from work but forgot the charger. Can I use my Lenovo USB charger instead? It's 65w.

I'm not sure how I can work out what my laptop's model is, I went looking but I think everything has been renamed (or more likely, I am an idiot)

If it's USB you can just plug it in and see what happens, they'll negotiate compatibility on their own. If you're lucky it'll charge fast enough that you can keep it plugged in while working, if not you'll probably need to shut down and let it trickle charge for a few hours once it gets low.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

isndl posted:

If it's USB you can just plug it in and see what happens, they'll negotiate compatibility on their own. If you're lucky it'll charge fast enough that you can keep it plugged in while working, if not you'll probably need to shut down and let it trickle charge for a few hours once it gets low.

So it won't cause any damage just trying it? If it was mine I probably wouldn't worry as much, but I don't want to cook a work laptop

If there was an issue what would it be? Just not charging or charging slowly?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Chewbecca posted:

I looked up the documentation and the Toshiba charger for the Dynabook is 65W so you should be golden as long as theyre both USB-C

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I looked up the documentation and the Toshiba charger for the Dynabook is 65W so you should be golden as long as they’re both USB-C

Great, thanks so much to you both for your help!!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Chewbecca posted:

So it won't cause any damage just trying it? If it was mine I probably wouldn't worry as much, but I don't want to cook a work laptop

The biggest thing I've seen is that my HP laptop will pop up a warning that they recommend only using the HP USB-C charger if I use something else, but it has no other impact. My Dell work laptop doesn't give a poo poo, and will happily run off whatever I plug into it. My ASUS gaming laptop draws too much power for USB-C to really be workable.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

CaptainSarcastic posted:

The biggest thing I've seen is that my HP laptop will pop up a warning that they recommend only using the HP USB-C charger if I use something else, but it has no other impact. My Dell work laptop doesn't give a poo poo, and will happily run off whatever I plug into it. My ASUS gaming laptop draws too much power for USB-C to really be workable.

I was paranoid (probably overly so) that I was gonna broil my laptop. Not a good look at a new job!

I'm using the charger and it seems fine. The laptop fan does seem to go onto overdrive occasionally but it doesn't seem connected to the charger.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Chewbecca posted:

If both sides are following the spec, then it's not possible to break anything. USB PD involves a negotiation in which the charger says "hey, these are the voltage/current modes I can work in" and the device says "cool, give me this one" usually choosing the highest-power mode supported by both sides. Typical 65W Type-C chargers will be 20V@3.25A or 15/12/9/5V@3A, so they can charge a Switch (15V@2.6A) or a smartphone just as well as a laptop. A lot of laptops these days will charge at lower speeds even if they can't get 20V, so you can trickle charge them overnight using something like a Pixel charger that does 12V.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Awesome, thanks for the info!

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

A Banana posted:

The answer to whether Linux on a laptop is good is going to vary a lot from person to person.

I will say many distros have taken absolutely massive strides in terms of a relatively easy and complete user experience out of the box. That said, I don't think there's a distro out there that truly matches just plug it in and probably everything works experience of either macos or Windows.

I've been daily driving various Linux distros with kde for like 3 years on my laptops and I love it; never looked back. But there was definitely a learning curve to getting everything working the way I wanted.

Something like kubuntu or mint for example I could see setting up for non tech savvy relatives if they ever get to the point where they just hate windows. Last time I installed kubuntu it even installed proprietary Nvidia drivers and set up automatic signing for secure boot as part of the installation walkthrough.

If you do want to run Linux on a laptop I think probably a much better experience is if you buy a laptop with Linux support in mind, either from a dedicated Linux vendor like system76, or somebody with official Linux support like framework or at least a vendor with a reputation for good Linux support that pays attention to hardware compatibility. Probably my worst experience was an Asus gaming laptop combined with a bleeding edge AMD SOC.

It isn't for everyone, but if you don't mind a little bit of learning and it's something you're interested in it can be very good imo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Really the tl;dr is if you want to do gaming or video editing then only go Linux if you're able and willing to invest some hours in light but fiddly programming to get/keep the drivers working. And if you need Excel, LibreOffice etc. or Google Sheets won't do the job and you need Windows. Other than that, if all you do on a given laptop is web/browser stuff and office suite stuff, Linux will work for you out of the box.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Eric the Mauve posted:

Really the tl;dr is if you want to do gaming or video editing then only go Linux if you're able and willing to invest some hours in light but fiddly programming to get/keep the drivers working. And if you need Excel, LibreOffice etc. or Google Sheets won't do the job and you need Windows. Other than that, if all you do on a given laptop is web/browser stuff and office suite stuff, Linux will work for you out of the box.

Even gaming has gotten really good; for the most part, the games I want to play just work by installing via lutris if it's gog or checking the box to force compatibility if it's steam.

There will probably be exceptions though and if you're an esports / competitive fps player where ring0 anticheat is becoming the rule, stay away probably.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Like I said before, it's been a while since I installed Linux on a laptop, but I did install Linux on a desktop using a closer to bleeding edge MSI AMD motherboard, and while the point-release OpenSUSE spin didn't work (the AMD wifi wasn't supported) going to OpenSUSE Tumbleweed worked from the get-go (mostly due to being a much more recent kernel). I'm happy running Tumbleweed and it's gotten way smoother and reliable than it used to be, but I wouldn't feel good about pushing it on a non-techie. It's not super fiddly, but just enough that I wouldn't expect my mom to be able to run it, for instance. Her Windows laptop gets out of date, and that is a super easy update process that she still manages to ignore.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If Excel runs under proton half as well as most Windows games do, God help Microsoft

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
office will probably never run well under wine because nobody who uses wine cares about it i imagine

right now the installer for any relatively recent version will simply not finish if it even starts, and ancient versions of office sometimes work okay, but also require specific versions of wine, and there's no lutris for office apps to automate that poo poo for you

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
I am in the market for a Macbook. I am mostly working at home at the moment so I don't really travel much. Mostly just need a laptop to do a bit of python projects, video editing, word, and some light gaming. At best Id just need to bring a laptop to group meetings but the rest of time my school is virtual.

My options would be for used

$900 - M2 macbook air 13.6" - 16gb /512gb. Battery cycles 272/91% capacity
$1100 - M1 macbook pro 14" - 16gb /512gb. Battery cycles 112/91% capacity.

Seems like for me having the most features from the M1 would make most sense.

Green Gloves fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jan 18, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Green Gloves posted:

I am in the market for a Macbook. I am mostly working at home at the moment so I don't really travel much. Mostly just need a laptop to do a bit of python projects, video editing, word, and some light gaming. At best Id just need to bring a laptop to group meetings but the rest of time my school is virtual.

My options would be for used

$900 - M2 macbook air 13.6" - 16gb /512gb. Battery cycles 272/91% capacity
$1100 - M1 macbook pro 14" - 16gb /512gb. Battery cycles 112/91% capacity.

Seems like for me having the most features from the M1 would make most sense.

Yeah, I'd probably agree. If your not taxing the processor, then the pro is probably better, though you will probably have somewhat better battery life with the air. However, we're talking about "6-10 hours vs 8-14" so it's probably not a huge factor.

Costco does have M2 MBPs with 8GB available for $800 in some stores, new
https://slickdeals.net/f/17233024-ymmv-macbook-pro-2022-m2-13-inch-799-costco

8GB isn't the limitation it is on a PC, since the system is closed the OS is able to manage memory far better, and since its all on the same chip there's tricks they use that PCs can't. You may be better off with a 16GB version, but the reason you see so many 8GB macbooks is because it's not the same thing as a 8GB PC.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Lockback posted:

Yeah, I'd probably agree. If your not taxing the processor, then the pro is probably better, though you will probably have somewhat better battery life with the air. However, we're talking about "6-10 hours vs 8-14" so it's probably not a huge factor.

Costco does have M2 MBPs with 8GB available for $800 in some stores, new
https://slickdeals.net/f/17233024-ymmv-macbook-pro-2022-m2-13-inch-799-costco

8GB isn't the limitation it is on a PC, since the system is closed the OS is able to manage memory far better, and since its all on the same chip there's tricks they use that PCs can't. You may be better off with a 16GB version, but the reason you see so many 8GB macbooks is because it's not the same thing as a 8GB PC.

I thought the reason is that Apple gouges for 16GB/512GB upgrades.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Quixzlizx posted:

I thought the reason is that Apple gouges for 16GB/512GB upgrades.

If that were universally possible everyone would do it. An 8GB MacOS laptop will run significantly better than a 8GB PC for day-to-day stuff.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Lockback posted:

If that were universally possible everyone would do it. An 8GB MacOS laptop will run significantly better than a 8GB PC for day-to-day stuff.

It's not universally possible because every OEM would have to collude in the PC space; they don't have an unbreakable monopoly like Apple does.

Edit: I'm not saying 8GB doesn't go farther on macOS, but there are also plenty of people gritting their teeth because they don't want to spend $400 on a $20 part.

Quixzlizx fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 18, 2024

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
The Costco deal is rarely found in any stores. And I have already searched my area.

Think I will go with the Pro for the screen, speakers and better specs overall.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eh a lot of speculation

My laptop runs Linux which manages applications very similarly to how BSD (the kernel under macos) does I do not see an increase in battery life when going from Windows to Linux

RAM is an expensive upgrade because traditionally most people were afraid to upgrade themselves, and businesses are ok paying that premium so consumers get taken along for the ride. With modern ultrathin laptops and reliable RAM you get permanently mounted ram so you're forced to pay the premium

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

With apple silicon it's all 1 chip. Memory is part of the chip itself, it's not a separate add-on. This allows for a lot more bandwidth and a communication pattern that is fundamentally different than x86 even on BSD.

Power/battery is the pro screen and cpu has a higher TDP, the air uses a stupid low TDP across the board.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Hadlock posted:

My laptop runs Linux which manages applications very similarly to how BSD (the kernel under macos) does I do not see an increase in battery life when going from Windows to Linux

fwiw, if you don't run a compositor (i imagine most x11 DEs still support this), you will see a (sometimes significant) battery life improvement because the igpu is literally not doing anything at all if you don't run any 3d apps. no wobbly windows, tho :v:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I have a few years old Dell Inspiron with a...many core Zen 2 Ryzen chip in it that I never use and I think I'm going to try to slap some Linux on it just for fun. I've never used Linux on a PC in the 38 years I've been alive. Is Mint a good one for babbys like me? There's literally nothing personal on the SSD so I'm okay with even wiping the thing.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Mental Hospitality posted:

I have a few years old Dell Inspiron with a...many core Zen 2 Ryzen chip in it that I never use and I think I'm going to try to slap some Linux on it just for fun. I've never used Linux on a PC in the 38 years I've been alive. Is Mint a good one for babbys like me? There's literally nothing personal on the SSD so I'm okay with even wiping the thing.

If you want, you can easily set up mint on a flash drive to test drive the GUI without much commitment.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Truga posted:

no wobbly windows, tho :v:

Unacceptable.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Are there any Windows laptops that have a solid sleep mode these days or did Microsoft just kill off the concept? Over the last few years I've had a 2021 Asus Zephyrus G14, a 2022 Asus Zephyrus G14, and a 2023 Razer Blade 16 and sleep mode was unreliable on every one of them. I don't think it even activates on the Razer, from what I can tell the screen just goes black and the battery runs itself down over a few hours. The Asus laptops had worse issues where they would refuse to wake up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Tiny Timbs posted:

Are there any Windows laptops that have a solid sleep mode these days or did Microsoft just kill off the concept? Over the last few years I've had a 2021 Asus Zephyrus G14, a 2022 Asus Zephyrus G14, and a 2023 Razer Blade 16 and sleep mode was unreliable on every one of them. I don't think it even activates on the Razer, from what I can tell the screen just goes black and the battery runs itself down over a few hours. The Asus laptops had worse issues where they would refuse to wake up.

Ive had it work fine but I have to unplug the laptop and then close the lid. If I close the lid before I unplug itll continue to use power settings as if its plugged in.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

My 2020 G14 works generally fine (problems , I think it's really hard to say because it's a tapestry of software, drivers, updates. etc. So I think it feels like a big crapshoot.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

My Asus strix g16 goes to sleep reliably every night after the required time of inactivity as evident by its pulsing power light, whether on AC or Batt power, but I've never tried to ascertain what, if any, power drain happens when unplugged. It is certainly powered down though but will wake to desktop in maybe 2 seconds after smashing the keyboard or power button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Any ideas on availability for newer Intel processors? Is it just basically Q1 2024 or do we know more than that?