Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Gripweed posted:

I followed One Piece in sprints, where basically like once every five years I get caught up on either the anime or the manga and then just stop for the next five years. I think this new adaptation is the first time I'm actually going to follow the story regularly, all the way to the end. However many years that takes.

But yeah I know what you mean about the long Shonen series. I tried to get into Jujutsu Kaisen but it just slid off me. I could tell it was a well done programme but my Shonen hole was full. Hell, I liked Dragon Ball Super but when it got to the tournament and there were all these new characters I was just like, man I ain't remembering any of these fuckers.

It's different for something like JoJo or Gundam where there it resets regularly. These giant sprawling series that just keep going and expanding, they're too much for my elderly rear end.

I love Dragon Ball Super but it’s definitely a series for 30-40 somethings that have been watching Goku their whole lives. It’s a series that has settled into middle age.

With the new stuff like JJK and Chainsaw Man, yeah part of it is definitely that I’m not a child anymore and shonen isn’t really intended for me, but exacerbating that is that I think it’s written for youths with much shorter attention spans than I ever had. The story is extremely gestural, almost dreamlike in how quickly it’s established and then swept away. There’s almost nothing there to raise the tension or attach you to the characters. Things just sort of happen in a barely intelligible sequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Gaius Marius posted:

People should really consider how they're spending their time when embarking on a One Piece or Naruto sized series. Is that truly what you wish to use your limited time on Earth on?

It's Bible Study for a certain kind of person.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I once went on a date with a woman who said that one of her goals in life was to catch up on One Piece so that she could watch it with her dad before he passed away.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Gaius Marius posted:

People should really consider how they're spending their time when embarking on a One Piece or Naruto sized series. Is that truly what you wish to use your limited time on Earth on?

Yes. Knock on wood, but it's an epic well up there with LotR and GoT in how dense and well thought out the world is. Series is in it's final arc now (which means it'll be done in like 5 years) and it's been hitting high after high for the past decade or so. Legit remarkable how well everything's come together and there's no sign of faltering as it's nearing the finish line.

Well worth the time, absolute masterpiece.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's Bible Study for a certain kind of person.

Zoro was crucified, but he came back with the three-sword style which makes him cooler than Jesus.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Yes. Knock on wood, but it's an epic well up there with LotR and GoT in how dense and well thought out the world is.

LotR is three paperbacks long.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

Forget it, they're lost in their delusions.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Schwarzwald posted:

yeah because there wasn't as much in there worth exploring as there is in One Piece

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Schwarzwald posted:

...plus the supplemental stuff. Point wasn't the word count, was just that it's a fictional world you can really dig into the world of it if you want.

Anyway One Piece is good and consider reading it.

Watched True Lies. Mad that they didn't film Schwartz fly a horse across two buildings. Also one of those films where they're aware of misogyny bad so a bunch of poo poo-heads have some very aggressive lines - but also not self aware enough to realize they filmed a ten minute scene of Schwartz torturing his wife.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'll wait for the One Piece novelization

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lord of the Rings walked so Dune could take us down the golden path

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Lord of the Rings walked so Dune could take us down the golden path

Lord of the Rings walked so Dune could run so Warhammer 40k could fly

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Lord of the Rings walked so Dune could run so Warhammer 40k could fly

and really Warhammer was just a vehicle to give us Bolt Thrower.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
YO DID SOMEONE SAY BOLT THROWER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eulkes4YMOM

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That just reminds me of the guy who got really mad about this trailer. "That's not Warhammer at all! Why didn't they just get a Bolt Thrower song?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGmmXd8r4YQ

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I've been curious about one piece, especially after I saw the live action series that was actually pretty good, but I just can't get over how...anime it is, for a lack of better term. The kind of lame slapstick humor, the extremely overexaggerated expressions at said slapstick, the way it always pans to reaction shots everytime someone does something even mildly impressive...
It's like it doesn't trust the audience to know what emotion they're supposed to be feeling at any given time so the anime heavily emotes so you're sure how to react. It's like those "applaud" signs with sitcoms with a live studio audience.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

McCloud posted:

I've been curious about one piece, especially after I saw the live action series that was actually pretty good, but I just can't get over how...anime it is, for a lack of better term. The kind of lame slapstick humor, the extremely overexaggerated expressions at said slapstick, the way it always pans to reaction shots everytime someone does something even mildly impressive...
It's like it doesn't trust the audience to know what emotion they're supposed to be feeling at any given time so the anime heavily emotes so you're sure how to react. It's like those "applaud" signs with sitcoms with a live studio audience.

One Piece without reaction shots would be a completely different series

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

McCloud posted:

It's for children

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I call myself a fan of one piece, but it is convenient to have read enough of it that I can seamlessly catch up on plot happenings every six months or so

Gaius Marius posted:

It's for children
honestly, since it's been around for so long, it's more for the 20-somethings who've been reading it since they were tykes and just having children of their own

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve only watched like 3 animes and 2 of them explain every thought and idea over and over as if the audience is 5 year olds

I thought it was made for at least teenagers. Very odd.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

I’ve only watched like 3 animes and 2 of them explain every thought and idea over and over as if the audience is 5 year olds

I thought it was made for at least teenagers. Very odd.

Try Reconguista in G. People got so mad that it actually required the viewer to figure out character motivations based on their actions.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Just watch Utena and Tatami Galaxy. Those are peak

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Last House on the Left starts out by establishing through expository dialogue that our main character just turned 17 and is the “prettiest piece” you ever did see.

And then a nude scene and then her parents talk about her nipples.

This is the movie that made Wes Craven famous?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The 70s were a different time.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was more intense back then. It’s fine because he made better films after

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Air Skwirl posted:

The 70s were a different time.

Yeah no movie made now would have BGM like this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The thing is about shonen anime is that it all makes sense when you realise it's using all the same presentation devices as pro wrestling.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

aw hell. I don't have a firm answer on Last House on the Left.

There's a lot to like about the movie generally. The naturalistic way it's shot and acted is great. The version I watched had insanely heavy grain and actual stains on the film in a couple places, which was perfect. The weirdly goofy tone with silly country BGM. That's good stuff.

But starting off with very intense sexualization of a girl the movie really wants you to know is underage is a pretty bad foot to start off with. And then you get the abuse and the rape and it's not a good time, I did not enjoy the first, like, hour of this movie.

But man, that last half hour, that's the good stuff. When the guy is turning his house into a death trap, that is excellent. And the scene where the guy hears a chainsaw starting up offscreen, that, to me, is filmmaking.

I don't regret watching it because I really did like the end, but it just trips too many "I shouldn't have this in my house" bells.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

An exploitation movie that starts off with inappropriate sexualization? :eek:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
New Mean Girls: not mean enough, but Auli'i Cravalho blew Lizzie Caplan out of the water, sorry Caplan.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I finally filled out a grid on moviegrid.io. I'm way worse at this game than I thought I'd be

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Got a pretty good score on yesterday's but could not for the life of me think of a movie Scarlett Johansen would've been nominated for an Oscar for

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Jan 20, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

Got a pretty good score on yesterday's but could not for the life of me think of a movie Scarlett Johansen would've been nominated for an Oscar for

Under The Skin?

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

marriage story

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ShoogaSlim posted:

marriage story

Oh yeah! Haven’t checked but that feels right.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

I guessed Lost in Translation, which was wrong

I got mad at it a few days ago because the prompt was Matthew McConaughey: title starts with a vowel and it would not accept EdTV, which would have been like 0% who the gently caress remembers EdTV. I wasted all the guesses trying to figure out the title and when I lost I googled it and I was right gently caress you movie grid

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jan 20, 2024

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Peccadillo posted:

I guessed Lost in Translation, which was wrong

That’s a decent guess tho.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I would have guessed The Reader but that's the wrong blonde lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

ShoogaSlim posted:

marriage story

Yeah. Never saw it, forgot it existed