Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Ironhead posted:

I think theres a dude over in the medical forum (I completeley forgot it existed, and it kind looks like everyone else did too)

COVID and the cop riots did a number on our nurses and healthcare in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

If you like fiberglass then introducing The Duracell Project.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

This is an incredible landing. Look at the the lack of time and space they had to execute it.

https://twitter.com/RVANOVA01/status/1748462730544025686

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That's more OSHI than OSHA

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I was waiting for him to ask them to get a pen and write down a phone number...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/o77K5ru.mp4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Go, l’il milk carton :ohdear:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ironhead posted:

I think theres a dude over in the medical forum (I completeley forgot it existed, and it kind looks like everyone else did too) that I think has lost his mind over one of his buddys losing some fingers? There are (spoilered) pictures of some digital amputations in the thread, FYI.

My friend lost a few fingers. Any Ideas?

He seems to be having a real normal one in the thread by himself posting youtube links.

what in the heck?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I had a feeling that looked like Fort Erie.

Ninja edit: That was before I saw the caption that said the Niagara River.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

looks like nature just decided to make a larger retaining wall :smug:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I saw that on Lake Michigan when I was living in Chicago. The wind would get a big piece of lake ice moving, and a piece of ice like that has a lot of momentum once it gets moving

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
1100lbs of fuel gonna need a big seatbelt extender

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

If you get into a random encounter with a bunch of ice, do not let the ice get the surprise opening attack

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DeeplyConcerned posted:

If you get into a random encounter with a bunch of ice, do not let the ice get the surprise opening attack

Eric has prepared his whole life for this.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Ironhead posted:

I think theres a dude over in the medical forum (I completeley forgot it existed, and it kind looks like everyone else did too) that I think has lost his mind over one of his buddys losing some fingers? There are (spoilered) pictures of some digital amputations in the thread, FYI.

My friend lost a few fingers. Any Ideas?

He seems to be having a real normal one in the thread by himself posting youtube links.

blow is a loving idiot

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
cmon ice, you're a flat surface, just lie down! the wind will literally blow over you!!! smh @ ice

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
boat guy reminds me of SVSeeker boat guy, who is a total piece of poo poo. i watched from the very first video a decade ago and slowly realized he was just the ultimate MGTOW old manchild. cool boat stuff tho, loved watching the hull welding process

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Aware posted:

blow is a loving idiot

And meth burned out any intellect he had to start with.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Ian_Fraser/status/1748700957297316209

oops

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
How expensive can a fibreglass repair kit be, I bet they will have that fixed over the weekend

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Sorry, I stopped reading after the words "gaping hole".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nenonen posted:

How expensive can a fibreglass repair kit be, I bet they will have that fixed over the weekend

Some Flex Seal could take care of that real quick.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

By popular demand posted:

Sorry, I stopped reading after the words "gaping hole".

I only started reading there. Together we'll get to the bottom of this!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Fiberglass hull and mine hunter seem like they should be mutually exclusive

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Naval mines commonly use magnetic detonators.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Messadiah posted:

I believe it's to avoid magnetic mines.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Fiberglass works perfectly for a submarine, it’ll be fine.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Messadiah posted:

I'd really like to understand the line of reasoning that brought you here.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

They're are plenty of non-magnetic metals to work with, like lead for example. Much sturdier than fiberglass!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

No. 6 posted:

Mine hunters hunt mines by running into them. Steel hulls protect against the mine, easy peasy.

Being charitable, land based mine clearing vehicles are armored

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Messadiah posted:

Nah. A lot of mines work by being anchored at the bottom and only releasing after something with a sufficiently large magnetic signature passes overhead. Minehunters want to look like a fishing boat, magnetically, so that they do not trigger such mines. The USA's minesweeps have wooden hulls and superstructures, for example.

USS Samuel B. Roberts (an iron hulled frigate) hit a mine released in this fashion and nearly lost the ship in the 80s.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Steel hull and mine hunter are mutually explosive.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. A lot of mines work by being anchored at the bottom and only releasing after something with a sufficiently large magnetic signature passes overhead. Minehunters want to look like a fishing boat, magnetically, so that they do not trigger such mines. The USA's minesweeps have wooden hulls and superstructures, for example.

USS Samuel B. Roberts (an iron hulled frigate) hit a mine released in this fashion and nearly lost the ship in the 80s.

Roberts just straight-out ran into the mine, no magnetic detonator required. It's loving amazing they saved that ship. Her keel was broken, and she had a five-meter hole blown in her. Her crew cinched cables to keep her together. Check the work this screwdriver is doing:

They managed to repair her under budget *and* ahead of schedule, which is also loving amazing.

USS Princeton is the one that set off a magnetic influence mine, and the blast from that one set off another one moored nearby, and the converging shockwaves basically twisted the ship in all three axes. That's another one displaying really impressive top-notch damage control.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It was backing down it's own wake when it ran into it. The fact that a mine was in its wake meant it was released after they passed it.

You're right that it was an amazing job fighting the ship and saving it. The deck division loving stitched it together with foul weather line.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

Why don't the ships just go under the mines then?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Xakura posted:

Mine hunters hunt mines by running into them. Steel hulls protect against the mine, easy peasy.

Being charitable, land based mine clearing vehicles are armored

Haha, this is hilarious to imagine

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

mobby_6kl posted:

Why don't the ships just go under the mines then?

They can, eventually.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

No. 6 posted:

They are the new CEO of Oceangate

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

No. 6 posted:

Magnets, how do they work?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

This is why you always look while reversing. Don't just rely on your mirrors!