Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

That meaning predates the tongue stuff. There's evidence of it in the Aeneid who attributed it to Etruscan Lictors who carried out corporal punishment. Being beaten by their rod of office was known as 'getting lict'..

Hmm, getting lict to death... Doesn't sound too bad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

TheCenturion posted:

The thing to remember with English is that words come from all over the place, and sound-alike doesn't mean actually-alike.

To this day I think the most humorously apt thing I've ever heard said of the English language is that "English is what happens when a language goes to prison."

ManiacClown fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 20, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

ManiacClown posted:

To the best day I think the most humorously apt thing I've ever heard said of the English language is that "English is what happens when a language goes to prison."

The English just got conquered a lot in the past and for some reason their language thrived because of it.

They paid everybody back a couple of centuries later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TheCenturion posted:

]

It's also why different words have different rules for pluralization, and why we have the whole 'i before e except after c except for exceptions like 'neighbour' or 'weigh.'' Does the word come from Latin? Welsh? Saxon? Angle? Dane? French? Somewhere else completely? Where it's from will determine, amoung other things, the whole 'i before e' thing.

Also 'goose' and 'geese' or 'mouse' and 'mice' vs 'bird' and 'birds' or 'cat' and 'cats.'

"i before e except after c" actually has more exceptions to it than words that follow the rule. It is the most useless piece of grammar advice in existence

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I before E has always been utterly useless as a rule, I mean science

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I before E is how I remember how to spell Sam Kieth. It used to be on his website or one of his art books or somewhere.

Been almost a year since he posted anything on his blog, I just noticed.

Edit, oh, this is not the chat thread...

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ranma 1/2 Vol. 20 (1992)

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Darthemed posted:

Plastic Man #61 (1956)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Transformers vs. The Terminator #1 (2020)

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 21, 2024

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Brass balls.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
"You would destroy the Cybertronians with terminators?"

"We would destroy the Cybertronians with one terminator. This is not war; this is pest control!"

I considered the Badass thread, but it's just so ridiculous.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #140 (1967)

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Darthemed posted:

Superboy #140 (1967)

...Yes, father, I shall become a sellout...

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Justice League #5 (1987)

Justice League International #7 (1987)

The Sandman #26 (1991)

Haha, gently caress you, Gray Man, it was all for nothing! I love these subtle callbacks in Sandman.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ManiacClown posted:

To this day I think the most humorously apt thing I've ever heard said of the English language is that "English is what happens when a language goes to prison."
Paraphrasing:

"English doesn't just borrow words from other languages, it chases them into dark alleys, raps them soundly about the head, and rifles through their pockets for them."

"English is Latin, German and French standing on each other's shoulders wearing a trenchcoat."

Really, English is a pidgin language that got really enthusiastic.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Like pigeons, it breeds rapidly in urban environments and shits on all the statues.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA

SimonChris posted:

Justice League #5 (1987)

Justice League International #7 (1987)

The Sandman #26 (1991)

Haha, gently caress you, Gray Man, it was all for nothing! I love these subtle callbacks in Sandman.

This is amazing, I've read the Sandman many times and I never knew!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Flaming Carrot Comics #25 (1991)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Darthemed posted:

Flaming Carrot Comics #25 (1991)

Is there a "Profound panels" thread, this is the most insightful to life experience stuff right here.

I flipped through the Flaming Carrot omnibus once but it didn't seem quite accessible for me, but respect! I do love 80s Turtles and say The Tick.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I’d recommend you give the Doc Stearn… Mr. Monster books a try, they’re in a similar vein to The Tick at times, though the tone changes with each run of the series.

From Beyond the Unknown #25 (1973)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on, that sounds awesome.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

sebmojo posted:

I before E has always been utterly useless as a rule, I mean science

I greatly prefer I after E; I was a real miserable gently caress before I started transitioning. :v:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

There is no "i" in team. If there were, it would read "tieam" and that's just silly!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

By Kate Beaton

No idea of issue, sorry!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rules! Looks like it's from Rogue & Gambit 5, the 2018 one.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

More comics should encorporate Kate Beaton's stuff.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So Kate Beaton is technically canon to the Marvel universe, that's awesome

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Does this mean Brown Recluse Spider-Man is a dream Peter once had?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Ghost Manor #76 (1984)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Darthemed posted:

Ghost Manor #76 (1984)

Source: The Popeye comic strip

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

The Champions #10 (1977)

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Batman #1 (1940)

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Invincible Iron Man(2022) #14

Source: Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #42

brainSnakes
Jul 11, 2011

I'd never save you in a million years
I didn't know Kingpin was dating Cruella De Vil. Good for them.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

brainSnakes posted:

I didn't know Kingpin was dating Cruella De Vil. Good for them.

That would be Typhoid Mary, a femme fatale Daredevil villain with dissociative identity disorder of varying severity, murderous tendencies and a number of psychic powers.

She has the blessing and the curse of being designed at a very specific time in fashion history.

Suleman fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 25, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Spider-man "Raggedy Ann fetish" quips write themselves with that mop top

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Suleman posted:

Source: Amazing Spider-Man (2022) #42

Is that Tombstone and She-Hulk? what's going on?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yes
a gang war

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Mooseontheloose posted:

Is that Tombstone and She-Hulk? what's going on?

A bunch of crime lords, including Tombstone's daughter are fighting an open war over control of New York. Many superheroes are stepping in. It's a big, pointless crossover event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Suleman posted:

That would be Typhoid Mary, a femme fatale Daredevil villain with dissociative identity disorder of varying severity, murderous tendencies and a number of psychic powers.

She has the blessing and the curse of being designed at a very specific time in fashion history.

Yeah. It was a thing.