Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Rinkles posted:

hey i want to give volition's final title a fair shake

The original Saints Row 1 on 360 is a better game. No hyperbole, no sarcasm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rinkles posted:

I was like you once.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Install Saints Row 2 instead

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I had it in my cart when it was free on epic game store but it occurred to me that I should value my time more.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
for what little it's worth, FSR2 is only available with DX (and no native DLSS at all).

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Psion posted:

speaking of the dual, I had my eye on the 4070 dual before the super refresh was announced and I'm now making bad choices and looking at the 4070 super ti instead. I don't see asus listing a 4070 super ti dual on their website right now, but does anyone know if there's a chance they're gonna make one?

I don't believe there was a non-Super Dual 4070 Ti .

For the Dual all I'm seeing is:
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER OC Edition
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER White
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER White OC Edition
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER EVO
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER EVO OC Edition

I'm planning to go with a TUF 4070 Ti Super myself because I'm bad with money.

Seriously though, I would probably go with a Dual if it was available in Ti, but I do like the RGB on the TUF. My current Asus 3070 has it and I have it set up to go Green/Yellow/Red depending on the temp and it's nice to just glance at the case and see what it's doing when I'm gaming.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Turmoil posted:

I don't believe there was a non-Super Dual 4070 Ti .

For the Dual all I'm seeing is:
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER OC Edition
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER White
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER White OC Edition
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER EVO
  • ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER EVO OC Edition

I'm planning to go with a TUF 4070 Ti Super myself because I'm bad with money.

Seriously though, I would probably go with a Dual if it was available in Ti, but I do like the RGB on the TUF. My current Asus 3070 has it and I have it set up to go Green/Yellow/Red depending on the temp and it's nice to just glance at the case and see what it's doing when I'm gaming.

I believe the ProArt 4070 ti is the smallest version of that model they make and assume that trend will continue with the 4070 ti Super (and maybe ProArt 4080 Super but who knows, I don't have insider information)

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
drat, and here I am planning to go from an RX-460 to a 4070 Ti Super.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Volition made games since Freespace 2?!

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Through a hilarious series of misadventures I have found myself with 2 x 3090's. One watercooled, one not.

I've got the watercooled one in my case (4000d airflow) right now and would like to add the second for ML stuff. Whats the best way to do this? There's not really room in the case, so I was thinking a gpu riser cable and... idk, a stand of some sort? My mobo doesnt have TB3 or whatever is needed for most of the eGPU enclosures I've seen around

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Are the 4070S sales numbers that bad? I thought reviews seemed positive. Maybe if you were in the market for this performance you already pulled the trigger on something else.

https://twitter.com/PCGamesN/status/1748358582741954853

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

the source is MLID and its about an Nvidia product. so.

e: to be somewhat clearer, the dudes sources on Nvidia products tend to be extremely bad (if he even has any beyond the twitter leakers everyone cites) and he has historically had some of the weirdest internet AMD fanatic brainrot in the whole rumor industrial complex. i have no idea if the specific cards are selling or not, but the source is... not great. his intel and especially AMD rumors tend to be much better, and he does seem to have some sort of sources there.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 20, 2024

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"Even scalpers don't want it" is just a weird way to talk about it. GPU scalping isn't normal. It was only a thing during both crypto bubbles, and it hasn't been a thing since ethereum went proof of stake. And the quote where board partners were "fed up with being told to push models over MSRP while Nvidia gets to sell Founders Editions from their website” is also bizarre since everyone had MSRP models available at launch, most of which sold out along with the Founder's Edition. I really don't trust a single thing MLID says in any of his videos about Nvidia. They're always full of this weird nonsense.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

It’s a six hundred dollar computer part. It was weird when this poo poo was flying off the shelves like furbies. It’d be nice if things are getting less crazy

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah good call out. Sounds like it probably is doing fine but just as we get further from the craziness things are smoothing out.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

No, number went down. This is a disaster!!!!!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

i imagine if you're one of the many people who settled for a 4070 you're probably not all that excited for a 15% bump for the same price unless you have a store with an insane 1:1 trade-in policy.

most of the sales movement is going to be with the 800-1000 price bracket because people in that range have been waiting for the Perfect Card (rightfully so, even) and they will absolutely not suffer themselves a single AMD card, even temporarily because that's supposed to be for poors and fanboys

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Pretty much the only ones that seem to have sold out in the UK are the ones at MSRP, except the 2-fan ones. I'll be more interested if the 4070 Ti Super sells out.

Something I thought was fun, Iceberg on Youtube got an RX 6300 (with 2 of god's own gigabytes of VRAM!) to see how it handled modern games. Some of the funniest absolute minimum settings footage I've seen in a while, and Cyberpunk running at a stable 30 without looking like complete rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKzxuU75TFw

njsykora fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 20, 2024

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I'm glad people are filling in the hole Low Spec Gamer left behind when he became entirely a 80s retro tech channel

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

i imagine if you're one of the many people who settled for a 4070 you're probably not all that excited for a 15% bump for the same price unless you have a store with an insane 1:1 trade-in policy.

most of the sales movement is going to be with the 800-1000 price bracket because people in that range have been waiting for the Perfect Card (rightfully so, even) and they will absolutely not suffer themselves a single AMD card, even temporarily because that's supposed to be for poors and fanboys

The 4070 is just 8 months old. Attracting upgrades from that card was never the point. The point is that the 4070 wasn't offering enough value at that price point to attract owners of older generations, so Nvidia improved the value proposition slightly. And I doubt the other Super cards will sell much better, if at all. High-end cards aren't that popular outside of enthusiast message boards. Generally speaking, the more expensive a GPU is, the less people buy it.

edit: Offering 16GB of VRAM for $800 with a GPU not made by AMD may be attractive enough to give the 4070 Ti Super a decent boost to sales, but $800 for a graphics card is still a very difficult pitch for most people.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 20, 2024

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The problem is, the 4070 isn't a "high end" card. Aside from the fact that many in the thread agree it sits closer to where the x60 series has in past generations, its pricing is way off.

To put things in perspective, I remember when the 780 ti came out at $700 (AUD and USD - which were close to parity back in 2013) and thinking how obscene that was. I paid about $700 AUD for my GTX 980 2 years later and felt "just okay" about it as the Aus dollar had tanked in the years since; but given it lasted until 2023, fair cop. According to google, the 1080 ti launched for about $700 USD also.

Adjusted for inflation, $700 in 2013 is about $910 today, or $888 adjusted from 2016 for the 1080 Ti.

The cheapest non-super 4070 is currently fetching $850 - $900 AUD right now. Supers start about $1179, and the 4070 ti non-super (probably a fair equivalent to my GTX 980 in mid-2015) at $1249. Adjusted for inflation, that's still a huge price hike.

Given the average vram and its place in the lineup, it's likely not going to last as long as the 980 did. Hell, Tech Jesus said in his review that anyone with a 3060 or up should not consider this a worthwhile upgrade.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

The problem is, the 4070 isn't a "high end" card. Aside from the fact that many in the thread agree it sits closer to where the x60 series has in past generations, its pricing is way off.

To put things in perspective, I remember when the 780 ti came out at $700 (AUD and USD - which were close to parity back in 2013) and thinking how obscene that was. I paid about $700 AUD for my GTX 980 2 years later and felt "just okay" about it as the Aus dollar had tanked in the years since; but given it lasted until 2023, fair cop. According to google, the 1080 ti launched for about $700 USD also.

Adjusted for inflation, $700 in 2013 is about $910 today, or $888 adjusted from 2016 for the 1080 Ti.

The cheapest non-super 4070 is currently fetching $850 - $900 AUD right now. Supers start about $1179, and the 4070 ti non-super (probably a fair equivalent to my GTX 980 in mid-2015) at $1249. Adjusted for inflation, that's still a huge price hike.

Given the average vram and its place in the lineup, it's likely not going to last as long as the 980 did. Hell, Tech Jesus said in his review that anyone with a 3060 or up should not consider this a worthwhile upgrade.

The issue with a direct AUD comparison like this is that the aussie dollar has absolutely tanked relative to the US dollar in the last ten years, we've gone from parity to USD being worth 50% more than AUD. So any direct comparison in AUD will look absolutely terrible.

The real issue with the Super pricing in Aus is that they're trying to sell them for the original 40 series MSRPs, which basically never existed because they were comically too high. Right now, you can actually get a 4070Ti for the exact same price as the 4070 Super ($1150) making the new card completely irrelevant. It's hard to complain about the non-Super pricing though, at least in a regional sense, because we actually pay basically the least of anywhere in the world once you convert the currency and remove GST. The $1150 AUD 4070Ti is the equivalent of getting it for $690 USD, which is unheard of in the states.

Hopefully nvidia/retailers realise the MSRPs are never going to work and moves them down to the actual 40 series prices, because right now you're just better off getting the regular 40-series.

This was a chart I made on Reddit before release, the 40 series cards have dropped even more since then.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I bought a 1080 Ti, so the absolute top of the stack, for 6147 DKK in May 2017. (Which is still by some way the most I've ever paid for GPU, I replaced it with a Radeon 6800 I paid 3500 for, back in June 2023, which is still a great deal).
That doesn't even get you a 4070 Ti today, and even adjusting for inflation gets you to about the same price as a 4070 Ti.
We all know card value has tanked, but it doesn't mean we shouldn't stop moaning about it.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 20, 2024

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

GPU prices have been gentrified. Pretty simple.
Theres much more moneyed, much more eager to pay and upgrade market thats emerged. And in much higher volumes too.

Someone (most someones) who plays games or even a professional video editor/3d artist isnt going to splurge every year over a 10-15ish% increase but a person/company running a crypto farm, AI generation service or remote GPU service absolutely will, and a lot of these kind of businesses are spooling up using consumer grade cards.

See the adhoc board transplant business that popped up in china right before the gpu export ban.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Yep it's pretty much a middle class hobby now

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The 4070 Super seems like by far the best value RTX card right now but it's still $600 (+VAT so lol) for a 70 series 12gb card.

It's obviosly a not very wortwhile upgrade for someone with a 4070 but it's also not exactly enticing even for someone like me. The 15% boost is nice for sure but it also means I've given up a year of using a 4070 for a slight improvement in value. Next gen cards are now a year closer. Seems like unless you didn't need a card at 4070 launch and do now, ther's nothing much to see.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

You can throw together a very solid 12400F + 6700XT system on a budget. It's just that we're huge fuckin' nerds posting on a hardware forum

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If you're willing to scour Aliexpress (or associated sites like Lazada) for top listed sellers of $20 E5 Haswell Xeons (if you don't mind four cores, E3s can be as low as $7!) and are willing to fish for cheap used Geforce 10 series or RDNA1 cards (or even GCN cards, but those are going out of support) you could make quite capable computers that are reasonably priced....the only relatively expensive part would be the power supply, because it's never worth it to go cheap on that. This thread just mostly selects for idiots who run 3dmark and nothing else on their $3000 PCs.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
It’s not just benchmarks, I sometimes watch YouTube using the nvidia RTX super resolution thing. :(

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If you're willing to scour Aliexpress (or associated sites like Lazada) for top listed sellers of $20 E5 Haswell Xeons (if you don't mind four cores, E3s can be as low as $7!) and are willing to fish for cheap used Geforce 10 series or RDNA1 cards (or even GCN cards, but those are going out of support) you could make quite capable computers that are reasonably priced....the only relatively expensive part would be the power supply, because it's never worth it to go cheap on that. This thread just mostly selects for idiots who run 3dmark and nothing else on their $3000 PCs.

Lookit this jabroni that has a discrete card

Just game on a Cezanne APU. Bing bong so simple

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think it's fairly safe to say that we're getting to the end of the usable life for the 1070, other than indi games, 1080p medium, vanilla Minecraft etc. Last year multiple AAA games were getting sub-80fps on a 4070 at its target resolution at launch, and while most of this improved via later optimisation passes, I'm sure there are already a handful of games made with the series x and PS5 in mind that basically don't run on pascal cards at all.

They got incredible mileage, but expecting developers to keep supporting 8+ year old hardware indefinitely is unrealistic. I don't think that classifying anybody who would like to run a recent AAA GAME at 1440p and high detail as a benchmark queen is very helpful, and today perhaps for the first time you're going to struggle to get that with anything short of a 1080ti if that.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Don Dongington posted:

but expecting developers to keep supporting 8+ year old hardware indefinitely is unrealistic.

Yeah because PS4 isn't on sale and doesn't still receive compatible games

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 20, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah because PS4 isn't on sale and doesn't still receive compatible games

In fairness Sony isn't accepting any more games for PS4 certification.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This thread just mostly selects for idiots who run 3dmark and nothing else on their $3000 PCs.

That’s not true! I just use my steam deck while my $3000 pc is off.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
My PC is an Ivy Bridge Optiplex with the abovementioned 1070 in it so running 3dmark is about the only thing I can do on it

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

the source is MLID and its about an Nvidia product. so.

e: to be somewhat clearer, the dudes sources on Nvidia products tend to be extremely bad (if he even has any beyond the twitter leakers everyone cites) and he has historically had some of the weirdest internet AMD fanatic brainrot in the whole rumor industrial complex. i have no idea if the specific cards are selling or not, but the source is... not great. his intel and especially AMD rumors tend to be much better, and he does seem to have some sort of sources there.

lord, please grant me the ability to understand that MLID is 70% bullshit, and the grace to understand 50% of the difference

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
MLID rules because he completely understands the media landscape that people are more excited about hot goss than strict factual accuracy, and he's savvy enough to hedge all his "predictions" against things that everyone else (who is more reliable) has already leaked, or to be broad enough that he can repeatedly claim to have been correct (and in fact has done several back-slapping videos where he revisits his old claims just to be able to do specifically this!)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

MLID rules because he completely understands the media landscape that people are more excited about hot goss than strict factual accuracy, and he's savvy enough to hedge all his "predictions" against things that everyone else (who is more reliable) has already leaked, or to be broad enough that he can repeatedly claim to have been correct (and in fact has done several back-slapping videos where he revisits his old claims just to be able to do specifically this!)

Guess that's why i stopped listening to him. :rolleyes:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

oh poo poo paul's secretly the MLID guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Kazinsal posted:

oh poo poo paul's secretly the MLID guy

making broadly correct predictions about trends isn’t that hard, making iconoclastic ones like adaptive sync on nvidia, apple pivoting towards gaming, etc, are harder.

And there always is the the “lol super is going to to be a stealth price increase!” “Lol 4090 will be 900w!” factions. You have to evolve the sense to tune the AMD defense force out.

I am not kidding about being able to figure out 50% of the 70% that is bullshit. I’m sure there’s things I’ve missed in retrospect but keep yo minds open, because ive been pretty successful just from figuring out what mlids sources actually told him.