Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
from an academic perspective witchcraft and miracles are both magic yeah. from a christian perspective it mostly matters whether youre appealing to the monotheist creator-god, or some fake guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Ohtori Akio posted:

nobody posts in my religion thread anymore so im evangelizing this one

:hmmyes: here again we see the idea of "the Adversary," the Divine Opponent, in mytho-theological narrative.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
a villian mayhaps..?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:hmmyes: perhaps. But a nuanced one. Like from Marvel.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Ohtori Akio posted:

from an academic perspective witchcraft and miracles are both magic yeah. from a christian perspective it mostly matters whether youre appealing to the monotheist creator-god, or some fake guy.

Things are a bit more complicated and grey than that. From a Christian perspective you can appeal to the intercession of Jesus (or the virgin Mary or saints for Catholics) which could be considered as spiritism.

Many evangelical practices like speaking in tongues or handling snakes or extatic trances could also be considered as superstitions by other Christian denominations.

In the end the distinction between religions and magic is extremely tenuous, and calling a practice witchcraft or superstition is no different from calling those who don't belong to your culture "barbarians"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
the catholic church is based around paganism, almost animism

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Things are a bit more complicated and grey than that. From a Christian perspective you can appeal to the intercession of Jesus (or the virgin Mary or saints for Catholics) which could be considered as spiritism.

Many evangelical practices like speaking in tongues or handling snakes or extatic trances could also be considered as superstitions by other Christian denominations.

In the end the distinction between religions and magic is extremely tenuous, and calling a practice witchcraft or superstition is no different from calling those who don't belong to your culture "barbarians"

the intercession of saints with god for your sake are, as told by the catholics, ultimately still appeals to god but with a quick hack to let you do idolatry lookin things. however yes it is true that other guy religion is bullshit

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

st christopher is my favorite saint, the saint of travelers because jesus transformed into a heavy baby and tried to drown him, as a prank

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They hated Futanari because His posts were shit.
Veneration of the saints is a violation of the first commandment...

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They make such a big deal about host desecration while they desecrate the memory of the Christ by saying he's actually this cracker

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

St. Jude is a solid dude

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dokapon Findom posted:

They make such a big deal about host desecration while they desecrate the memory of the Christ by saying he's actually this cracker

nbd just ritualistic cannibalism borrowed from roman mystery cults

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Dokapon Findom posted:

he wasn't even white!

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Al! posted:

the catholic church is based around paganism, almost animism

Well yes that was the whole point. The Roman empire did not build itself through subjugation but integration.

The vast majority of Catholics are rural, countryside people with rich and diverse beliefs and traditions.

"Catholic" means universal, all-embracing, and it's exactly what it is advertising

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

They say this pope was elected... anyone remember voting for him???

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Dokapon Findom posted:

Veneration of the saints is a violation of the first commandment...

I think it's a protestant belief that Catholics are venerating saints like they venerate God.

They don't. They honor saints like you honor your parents and ancestors

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I think it's a protestant belief that Catholics are venerating saints like they venerate God.

Second commandment, then. Seems to be a catch-all that pre-emptively addresses this exact kind of rules lawyering

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Protestants would say that Catholics pray to them, which seems like veneration since you don't pray to your ancestors, and it seems especially strange theologically if you assume the dead are awaiting judgment at the end of time.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

The fish-not-being-meat thing is some serious bullshit. There's no way that can survive first contact with rational adult thought, I'm sorry

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

aw frig aw dang it posted:

St. Jude is a solid dude

St Christopher is a good boy

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

The rules of Orthodox Judaism make far more sense to me and I respect the dedication that goes into following them. Catholicism seems a bit more jazzy in making allowances for the things they really want to do

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Dokapon Findom posted:

The fish-not-being-meat thing is some serious bullshit. There's no way that can survive first contact with rational adult thought, I'm sorry

well abstaining from meat on fridays is just a post-apostolic tradition anyway

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Sherbert Hoover posted:

Protestants would say that Catholics pray to them, which seems like veneration

It's really not though. They ask for their intercession to God since they are supposedly closer to Him/Her/It

It's a very pragmatic relationship, almost transactional. Most of the time it's based on local, cultural superstition that a certain saint can ask God to help you with a certain matter

I wouldn't compare that to the veneration they would have for God

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

it isn't even that deep you just ask the saint to pray for you bc they get what you're dealing with

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Sherbert Hoover posted:

well abstaining from meat on fridays is just a post-apostolic tradition anyway

More like post apocalyptic.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

lol

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Dokapon Findom posted:

The rules of Orthodox Judaism make far more sense to me and I respect the dedication that goes into following them. Catholicism seems a bit more jazzy in making allowances for the things they really want to do

the talmudic scholars mostly agree that god left in the loopholes as a fun challenge for his people. the first game designer

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Old Testament God is OP. He nerfed Himself in later releases

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

Dokapon Findom posted:

Old Testament God is OP. He nerfed Himself in later releases

- Added Iron Chariot type enemies

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

if anyone wants some fun, they should read the infancy gospels, which were written much later and have poo poo like child Jesus killing one of his buddies on a whim then bringing him back Lazarus-style, or getting caught making toy birds out of clay on the Sabbath then, when called out by his dad, bringing them to life and having them fly off so there's no evidence

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

Gospel of Thomas is the only one that tells the fuckin truth

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dokapon Findom posted:

Gospel of Thomas is the only one that tells the fuckin truth

what about the Gospel of Truth, it's right there in the title

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's not polytheism, it's just God delegating for a more personal touch

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
is constantine catholic witchcraft

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
constantine was pretty witchpilled yeah

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i think it's an interesting line, like what separates the demon hunter from the demon

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the early institutional church is pretty interesting because of how it engaged with extremely dug in polytheist-pluralist tradition yeah. arguably the modern tendency of the rcc towards subjectively pagan modes of devotion goes back to this. at some point it was demanded and they cant exactly go backsies.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

good morning my witches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

learning that necromancy is heresy, luckily i minored in chloromancy so i can at least grow huge weed plants