Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hmm smell of new car vs smell of goats? i know what i choose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Soviets used dogs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

its goats

cars smell terribly, like dogs yeah

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Angepain posted:

It's pretty simple. You just need to imagine that Monty Hall adds a fourth door, and tells you there is a goat in it. Then there are two possibilities: the door you chose contains the goat or one of the two doors you didn't choose contain a goat. But now Monty Hall has put one of the goats in the fourth door, meaning that one of the doors doesn't contain a goat but instead contains two possibilities, one of which is that the door you chose was originally a door with a car but now the car is logically in the other door, and the other is that one of the goats has moved and the door you chose is now the door with either the car or that a fifth door would have a car if a goat was in the third door. Then logically what you need to choose is the door that would have not been opened if you hadn't changed the car door or if the goat had been in a car. So if Monty Hall were to add a sixth door then the door would either contain a car or would contain whatever the third door contained when you switched to a goat, so if you don't switch then the third door will contain either a goat with a door or a car with a hall, and knowing that you can then move the door to the second door and open the goat to find another door that Monty Hall has been behind the whole time, having told you the goat which the car placed was in the fifth door when it was in fact both behind the sixth door and the third door that would have been second if you switched from the goat to the car.

Thanks I finally understand now

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Why do they call it 'The Monty Hall problem' when you of in the goat of out box the car?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

The important thing to remember about Monty Hall is that it is a TV show for entertainment, and if a third of the time Monty opened a door with the prize behind it, nobody would watch the show. Obviously if he does that it's irrelevant whether you change your vote, but that's why "well what if he DOESNT have knowledge" is just a wrong question.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Unkempt posted:

Why do they call it 'The Monty Hall problem' when you of in the goat of out box the car?

Yes, I think that's accurate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Carthag Tuek posted:

wait hold on, do i have to pay any registration or title for the car? can i refuse and take a smaller lump sum? whats my age in this scenario again? theres a warrant out on me

goats are cool as hell
People have asked and you can't actually take the goat home otherwise it'd be a no way to lose situation. It's a figurative goat.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Oh that's easy then, you trade in the car and buy 3 goats. Still don't know how I'm gonna get these cabbages across the river without the goats eating them though.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

You need a couple of foxes, some prisoners and some cops. First, take one of the cops and have him shoot a criminal, to let the goats know you mean business....

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

zedprime posted:

People have asked and you can't actually take the goat home otherwise it'd be a no way to lose situation. It's a figurative goat.

What a bunch of bs, the goat is a lie.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Now that's a good chart

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
How come we've never seen a spider helmet in a video game?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Made by SA's own biznatchio. I feel like I remember the thread about Monty Hall where that was created, but there's no way I'm digging through the archives to find it.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
https://twitter.com/onlineryn/status/1748946167621152952

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

dirby posted:

Made by SA's own biznatchio. I feel like I remember the thread about Monty Hall where that was created, but there's no way I'm digging through the archives to find it.

I absolutely got that from these forums somewhere between 10-15 years ago. Definitely 10 years at the absolute minimum. I just found it while looking through some ancient bookmarks and thought, "Hey, everyone loves talking about the Monty Hall problem"

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

This Civilization custom map needs some work.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/LinkofSunshine/status/1749272811871322558

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

https://xkcd.com/2884/

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

"i literally swear" makes me think there is greater weight to this claim than I am perceiving...

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I didn't realize Magneto and Ranger Smith were products of circa 1500.

IYKK
Mar 13, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

ahhh but which mansion contains the goat?

The goat lives next to the yellow mansion and smokes prince.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

zedprime posted:

Yura from Elden Ring kind of has one of those but his is cone shaped and has bands all the way down.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I've become fascinated with the Nash equilibrium. Basically, if you're in any social situation, you're going to have the best outcome for everybody if everyone's honest about what they're doing and no one deliberately fucks anybody over. Of course that never happens but math has conclusively proven that it could happen if you're not an rear end in a top hat

But here's a stupid visualisation about it that helps no one

Teriyaki Hairpiece has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jan 24, 2024

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I've become fascinated with the Nash equilibrium. Basically, if you're in any social situation, you're going to have the best outcome for everybody if everyone's honest about what they're doing and no one deliberately fucks anybody over. Of course that never happens but math has conclusively proven that it could happen if you're not an rear end in a top hat

But here's a stupid visualisation about it that helps no one

I don't know what you're describing but it's not any equilibrium concept. The Nash equilibrium for a game is a strategy for each player where no one is better off if they unilaterally switch to a different strategy. It doesn't have to be a good outcome; in fact in the prisoner's dilemma the Nash equilibrium is the worst possible outcome for everyone.

The diagram you posted is a meaningful visualization of some non-trivial theorems regarding different classes of strategies. You could get through all of what's said there in an undergraduate game theory class but it's definitely not a first day thing.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

zedprime posted:

By the looks of things, only one of them was made.
Also we can now classify Ned Kelly as improvising a 15th-century heaume!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

this is gonna make a great awful graph, im sure:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Not as good as this one:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Platystemon posted:

Not as good as this one:

ME

Yeah, I identify as Maine, what of it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Platystemon posted:

Not as good as this one:

I'm OK :shobon:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Platystemon posted:

Not as good as this one:

Alamosexual Texan types have been waiting their entire lives for this moment

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Sardonik posted:

Alamosexual Texan types have been waiting their entire lives for this moment

Hey baby lemmie see that basement

:wink:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Vavrek posted:

ME

Yeah, I identify as Maine, what of it.

Gonna go WA about it, huh?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/maneymonday/status/1750243741267267639

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a lot to critique but why did you put a loving column in the middle of the staircase?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OwlFancier posted:

There's a lot to critique but why did you put a loving column in the middle of the staircase?

i think maybe for fireman egress?

as for the rest, i would hate napping in a rubber couch/chair

also, having china stored on shelves that sit on the extended legs of your table

cable-suspended bed which i guess can be retracted to the ceiling if they need more room in the giant house???

theres a lot of weird choices in that house

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
On the flip side they have a remote garage door opener, even if the mechanism is dumb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DarkHorse posted:

On the flip side they have a remote garage door opener, even if the mechanism is dumb

shouldve made it like a clicker remote

and what is a "neon sunlight" (by the narrow third level walkway that is presumably for window cleaning)? it sounds like a cyberpunk dystopia torture method

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 18:09 on Jan 26, 2024