Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My milquetoast opinion is that ornithopters are underutilized in sci-fi/fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I think apple cider vinegar gets unwarranted credit for being in some way healthier or tastier or more natural than regular vinegar based purely on the name.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
My helicopter-based hot take is that Da Vinci was very smart, but we give him way too much credit for doodling a bunch of machines that don't actually work.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Hollywood needs to extend its "Sorry about all the racism, Ke Huy Quan, have some actual roles" apology tour to Gedde Watanabe. Also my phone autocorrected to Gender Watanabe and I just want to throw that out as a username.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Nameless Pete posted:

Hollywood needs to extend its "Sorry about all the racism, Ke Huy Quan, have some actual roles" apology tour to Gedde Watanabe. Also my phone autocorrected to Gender Watanabe and I just want to throw that out as a username.

Gender Wannabe would be a top-tier username

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you think "khokhol" is an evil racial slur, but think "moskal" is fine, then you are both a hypocrite and kinda stupid

e: and the extra dumb hell for people who heard neither before say, 02/22 and insist on saying "k-slur" back in the home country

motherfucker it is not even a k, not even a k sound

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 03:54 on Jan 17, 2024

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I have zero respect for people who buy the middle gasoline option. The other options make sense. You buy the cheap one because it's the cheapest and they all work the same. On the other hand you have people who are like, "I'm a premium person, I drive a premium car, I live a premium life, I buy premium" and I understand that too. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

But the people who go with the middle option are just so dumb and spineless. They have some vague sense that the more expensive options are better in some way because if they weren't then the gas station wouldn't offer them. But they would feel like they're wasting money if they go premium. So instead they waste money but don't even get to think of themself as a premium person. They split the difference and end up in the worst place. And it's purely because they lack confidence. They're all cowards.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I thought the middle option was premium?

Cheap Gas - Premium Gas - Diesel

I got gas recently and the attendant (I live in Oregon) was real apologetic and said I could only get premium gas. I'd never bought premium gas before. I asked him what the difference is. He said my engine might run hotter. I said is that it? He shrugged. So I got premium gas.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Diesel is the green handle and iirc the nozzle is bigger so it won't fit in your tank

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

hawowanlawow posted:

Diesel is the green handle and iirc the nozzle is bigger so it won't fit in your tank

Well that's annoying. I need it to run my car.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

I have zero respect for people who buy the middle gasoline option. The other options make sense. You buy the cheap one because it's the cheapest and they all work the same. On the other hand you have people who are like, "I'm a premium person, I drive a premium car, I live a premium life, I buy premium" and I understand that too. I don't agree with it, but I understand it.

But the people who go with the middle option are just so dumb and spineless. They have some vague sense that the more expensive options are better in some way because if they weren't then the gas station wouldn't offer them. But they would feel like they're wasting money if they go premium. So instead they waste money but don't even get to think of themself as a premium person. They split the difference and end up in the worst place. And it's purely because they lack confidence. They're all cowards.

I thought premium was supposed to give you better gas mileage? I’ve never cared enough to spend more on something I was going to light on fire anyways, but I seem to recall hearing that somewhere.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Some engines are supposedly optimized for premium octane fuel . Like sports cars. Seems silly when you are not going much faster than the speed limit most places.

Mid grade fuel is literally just half premium+half regular.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Tre Cool of Green Day is a much better drummer than I think he often gets credit for. I can tell a Green Day song simply from his drumming and nothing else.

Also, Green Day is a great band whether you think of them as punk poseurs or otherwise.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
He and Dirnt are definitely a big part of their 90s success and why I still like Dookie/Insomniac.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Henchman of Santa posted:

He and Dirnt are definitely a big part of their 90s success and why I still like Dookie/Insomniac.

:hfive:

Hell yeah. Their early stuff still slaps.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agreed, “21 Guns” is an absolute banger

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008

Robobot posted:

I thought premium was supposed to give you better gas mileage? I’ve never cared enough to spend more on something I was going to light on fire anyways, but I seem to recall hearing that somewhere.

Premium gas lets you run at a higher compression ratio, which if your car is designed to do is a good thing, improving power and fuel efficiency (fuel energy converted to mechanical energy). If your car isn't designed for it it does nothing. Premium could give you fewer miles per gallon, because it might have stuff with a lower energy density, like ethanol.

Separately some gas might have detergents or something in it, to supposedly reduce deposits, but that doesn't have anything to do with the octane rating.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

:hfive:

Hell yeah. Their early stuff still slaps.
I saw that on their new tour they are playing Dookie and American Idiot in full. I assume that's because mid-90s kids and early 2000s kids are the only fanbases they have left (I am the former).

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I revisited Dookie recently, which in 1998 was my favorite album, and I can't believe how fuckin awful it is. I never liked Green Day's post-Dookie stuff, but Dookie has aged like, well

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Panfilo posted:

Some engines are supposedly optimized for premium octane fuel . Like sports cars. Seems silly when you are not going much faster than the speed limit most places.

Mid grade fuel is literally just half premium+half regular.

Sports cars are just silly as a concept. Full stop.

If you drive it at a racing track, ok. Otherwise get outta here.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

doverhog posted:

Sports cars are just silly as a concept. Full stop.

If you drive it at a racing track, ok. Otherwise get outta here.

I've said before, all private automobiles should have limiters built in that stop them from going over 75 miles an hour. There is no good reason not to do it.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Sure if you want me to be stuck in 1955

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ommin posted:

I saw that on their new tour they are playing Dookie and American Idiot in full. I assume that's because mid-90s kids and early 2000s kids are the only fanbases they have left (I am the former).

Yes but it's also the 30th and 20th anniversary of those, respectively, which is always a good excuse when you're a legacy act.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yes but it's also the 30th and 20th anniversary of those, respectively, which is always a good excuse when you're a legacy act.
I did not realize that. That makes way more sense. More sense than The Smashing Pumpkins also being on the bill. Just feels like an odd pairing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

I revisited Dookie recently, which in 1998 was my favorite album, and I can't believe how fuckin awful it is. I never liked Green Day's post-Dookie stuff, but Dookie has aged like, well

It was the first album I bought for myself and I refuse to listen to it now so that I don't ruin my nostalgia. I'm glad to know it's been a good decision.

Ixnay on the Hombre was my second. I don't listen to it either.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Gripweed posted:

I've said before, all private automobiles should have limiters built in that stop them from going over 75 miles an hour. There is no good reason not to do it.

Why 75mph? Why not go back to 55 speed limit? Why limit it below the speed limit in many places?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

It was the first album I bought for myself

It was the first album I bought with my own money, too!

edit: the second was the Wallflowers album Bringing Down the Horse

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Atticus_1354 posted:

Why 75mph? Why not go back to 55 speed limit? Why limit it below the speed limit in many places?

65 is a reasonable highway speed, plus a little extra for passing or emergencies.

If other places have speed limits of 80 mph, that’s hosed up. That’s too fast.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Many fleet trucks are governed at 55mph or whatever presumably for fuel efficiency but it often causes traffic snarls since you have multiple vehicles slightly not fast enough to effectively pass slower vehicles so they kind of clump together.

I feel like overall speed has a bigger factor in adverse road/visibility conditions and vehicles traveling at wildly different speeds (not necessarily just too fast) tend to cause more accidents when weather is not an issue.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It has been long established (McFly—Brown, 1985) that a sustained velocity of 88 mph is necessary for any sort of flux capacitor-enabled time travel to function.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time
It is my opinion that it is really annoying when 2 subjects are competing for the current hot topic. In this case it is speed limits and Green Day. My brain just can't handle all of the jumping back and forth.

I wonder how fast Green Day's tour bus drove between Lollapalooza shows in the early 00's?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
The only good Green Day song I’ve ever heard is Brain Stew because they dialed back the ‘pop’ and cranked up the ‘punk’.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The FDA or corresponding agency of whatever country you’re in should actively regulate books on health and medicine. The “health and wellness” market is chock full of complete bullshit. I just shelved a book on “alternative medicine” that claimed that empathy could be rooted in subliminal telepathy

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

The FDA or corresponding agency of whatever country you’re in should actively regulate books on health and medicine. The “health and wellness” market is chock full of complete bullshit. I just shelved a book on “alternative medicine” that claimed that empathy could be rooted in subliminal telepathy

That doesn’t seem like a medical claim.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Almost every thing I look at says the FDA hasn’t approved or investigated the claims of health related products . What the gently caress does the fda do all day? Cuz they apparently don’t check poo poo

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

It was the first album I bought with my own money, too!

edit: the second was the Wallflowers album Bringing Down the Horse

That's a way better second album.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The first album I bought myself was the soundtrack to Small Soldiers.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

That doesn’t seem like a medical claim.

It also claims that crystals have health benefits. Not consuming them, just being around them

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

oldpainless posted:

Almost every thing I look at says the FDA hasn’t approved or investigated the claims of health related products . What the gently caress does the fda do all day? Cuz they apparently don’t check poo poo

A magic crystal is neither a food nor a drug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

It also claims that crystals have health benefits. Not consuming them, just being around them

I can buy that. Your mood effects your health, and your surroundings effect your mood. And your setting is always improved by adding a load of crystals.