Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Tampa Bae posted:

If you don't know Japanese it sounds real exciting in the same way that if you don't know english Kevin Kelly yelling DESTINO is exciting. idk why people prefer Japanese commentary when they don't speak the language other than can zone out commentary during a match and only hear people being excited

Most wrestling commentary is very bad so

quote:

can zone out commentary during a match and only hear people being excited

is indeed the selling point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Kevin Kelly could be replaced with a soundboard, dude is just an endless string of canned phrases and calls

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i like when he says "your face and my rear end!"

Majinfoose
Jul 26, 2007

HOLY SHIT
This vegan brisket is bussin

Gumball Gumption posted:

Kevin Kelly could be replaced with a soundboard, dude is just an endless string of canned phrases and calls

I really hate it when he goes "uh-oh".
Schivone leading the team on Collision has helped with commentary IMMENSLY but gently caress may, Kevin Kelly sucks.

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

Kevin Kelly was helped a lot in New Japan by his co-commentators being a rotation of people worse at it than him and also Rocky sometimes when he wasn't out of breath from doing forever clotheslines. Once Charlton outgrew him he was cooked and he knew it.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
oh hey its honma

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

my monitor turned off again! oh wait, it’s back on and Yano wins

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Tampa Bae posted:

If you don't know Japanese it sounds real exciting in the same way that if you don't know english Kevin Kelly yelling DESTINO is exciting. idk why people prefer Japanese commentary when they don't speak the language other than can zone out commentary during a match and only hear people being excited

Counter, calling out move names is the best part of commentary

LARIATOOOOO

also the pained glottal stop thing the female TJPW commentator does when something looks extra traumatizing

I personally listen to English comms when I can (Akki/Brookes is a stellar pair) but there's definitely a charm to it (or maybe there's just more visceral enjoyment from AHHHH! than OH MY GOD!)

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

My chief problem with Kevin Kelly is that he sounds just enough like Ian Riccabonni that my first thought is always "I wish this was Ian Riccabonni"

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

That's my purse, I don't know you

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Ok I know that scene inside out which makes this reply just confusing to me. What is TK trying to say?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lid posted:

Ok I know that scene inside out which makes this reply just confusing to me. What is TK trying to say?

Okada to AEW is the insinuation, given the other news of the day.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Man now I gotta go rewatch The Wire. Woe is me, I'm gonna have to watch one of the best TV shows of all time.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Lid posted:

“When I compared myself to Jim Crockett Promotions this weekend I think I got a little taste of what Jim Crockett felt but I have a lot more loving money than Jim Crockett did and I’m serious, I’m not going to sit back and take this poo poo.”

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKFOUZqyIKo
In video.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
The thing about Kevin Kelly is that he is dweeb.

Nerds at least have passion for something. Even if being really into boutique releases of new Laserdiscs isn't a sexy or possibly even real topic, I could probably have a decent conversation with them on their topic if they are genuinely into it for love of the game. Some nerds could be jocks if the focus of their passion was slightly different, and jocks have to be nerds towards their sport to succeed. Some nerds indeed do direct their focus to exercise and get jacked.

While being a dweeb is a mindset, have you ever seen a jacked dweeb?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not interested.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

the thing about kevin kelly is that he's really bad at his job

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

beepo posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
Kevin Kelly can step in for Tony Schiavone as the announcer everyone kinda roasts, except everyone can push the insults to 11 now. That is what TK is excited for in 2024.

Edit: I'd say Beepie Jr (no relation) is more of a doofus than a dweeb

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Bring back Marvez if you need an announcer to dunk on. Send Kevin Kelly to interview Timmy and the bottom of the well and leave him there

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

No one else elevates getting roasted the way Tony does, he has the ideal mix of self deprecation and cranky energy to play off of it

Anyone else playing that role wouldn't bring the fun to it

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
There would be so many fun ways to create a semi-hostile, but not really legally actionable, work environment for ol KK. The sky is the limit if you use your imagination so please never limit yourself.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

beepo posted:

Kevin Kelly can step in for Tony Schiavone as the announcer everyone kinda roasts, except everyone can push the insults to 11 now. That is what TK is excited for in 2024.

I don't think KK can deal with being the butt of the joke like Schiavone often is. He's really awkward when someone is like that with him.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/JayWhiteNZ/status/1748360979396653410

The dad that stepped up.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

aew is the real stepfather factory

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Thank you Jay

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Seams posted:

Thank you Jay

Jay For Ever

Clap clap clapclapclap

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

beepo posted:

The thing about Kevin Kelly is that he is dweeb.

Nerds at least have passion for something. Even if being really into boutique releases of new Laserdiscs isn't a sexy or possibly even real topic, I could probably have a decent conversation with them on their topic if they are genuinely into it for love of the game. Some nerds could be jocks if the focus of their passion was slightly different, and jocks have to be nerds towards their sport to succeed. Some nerds indeed do direct their focus to exercise and get jacked.

Maggle Cole

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

aew is the real stepfather factory

Holy poo poo, you maybe right. There have been at least 6 successful angles that boil down to young wrestler and older wrestler father figure.

Integrated Houston
Oct 21, 2008
At what point do we start getting suspicious about all these old wrestlers “wanting to work with the youngsters?”

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Integrated Houston posted:

At what point do we start getting suspicious about all these old wrestlers “wanting to work with the youngsters?”

Wait till Copeland finds himself a young boy.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Most Power Alex posted:

Holy poo poo, you maybe right. There have been at least 6 successful angles that boil down to young wrestler and older wrestler father figure.

That's because AEW doesn't have Vince to be everyone's father figure

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Most Power Alex posted:

It was a sequence of spots in the 4 pillars match

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 20, 2024

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Integrated Houston posted:

I'm sure there's some weirdo anti-aew blue checks workshopping this argument but completely unironically

Most Power Alex
Sep 2, 2023

Jonny Nox posted:

It was a sequence of spots in the 4 pillars match

I forgot about Christian-Jungle Boy, make that 7 popular angles. If we consider Glock Anderson - Cody that is 8. Really the only one that didn't get over was Anderson-Wardlow.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Christian should start coming out to Father Figure by George Michael.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
All Fatherhood Wrestling

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://twitter.com/SexyChuckieT/status/1748499418003673429?t=t9osqzTeLYtrY3W38n8F3A&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Most Power Alex posted:

Darby's entire identity leading up to the Sting adoption was looking for a dad. this was when i saw the future of AEW laid out before me

are you counting Danny and 2.0?