Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

tater_salad posted:

yeah that's my experience with a bauer one my father in law made me use when we did a deck. It was poo poo.. there was lots of slop in it and it wasn't the greatest. It ran, it cut wood.. I came back the next day with my Metabo/Hitachi and did any cuts that didn't' require the extra width the slide allowed for.

Well I ordered it and a digital magnetic angle guide just to check and be safe. We'll see how it works. Half the cost of the ryobi or Dewalt ones at home depot. Reviews on the site seemed good, hopefully works fine for light use. Figured I'm better off spending real money on the table saw instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Where should I look to buy t-track (AKA mitre track) on its own? I can see it on Amazon but it's £10 for 30cm of extruded aluminium which seems like a piss take. I want to add it to my cross cut sled and perhaps my bench for clamps. Either specific places if in the UK, or the types of places I might need to look I guess.

Axminster, Aliexpress, Banggood in that order.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jan 15, 2024

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

deimos posted:

Axminster, Aliexpress, Banggood in that order.

Thank you, I'm surprised I didn't notice it on the Axminster site, I've got a lot from there recently.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Random question - I wanna buy some grease! I want to re-grease the vise I got from HD, but also maybe grease up the shower mixer I'm going to be replacing soon. These are probably two different types of grease?

I know nothing about grease! Anything I should graduate towards/stay away from?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
For the vice I'd probably just use a tub of cheapo lithium grease.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Literally A Person posted:

For the vice I'd probably just use a tub of cheapo lithium grease.

Oh word! I know it saw silicone grease tossed around earlier so that was what I was assuming, but is a big check thing of lithium grease good for most like, power tools and the like?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
I had pretty much this exact situation. The mixer needs a food-grade grease, you can buy it online with a cursory look. I ended up using the same grease for parts of my drill press and a few other machines. It's not 100% ideal but I didn't feel like buying 2

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Johnny Truant posted:

Oh word! I know it saw silicone grease tossed around earlier so that was what I was assuming, but is a big check thing of lithium grease good for most like, power tools and the like?

Lithium grease is pretty good for most stuff. I'd stay away from silicone grease if you do any woodworking. Grease on your work is a pain already, but silicone is a nasty contaminant that fucks up all kinds of finishes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Great to know, thanks!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
I'm a big fan of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-2...469067824&psc=1

It's food contact safe, cheap, has no smell, and isn't super thick. It's a great general use grease. It has ptfe in it if you care about teflon.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I'm a big fan of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-2...469067824&psc=1

It's food contact safe, cheap, has no smell, and isn't super thick. It's a great general use grease. It has ptfe in it if you care about teflon.

x2 definitely the best readily available all purpose grease

For greasing plumbing fixtures, silicone grease is the lubricant of choice as it’s best for plastics/rubbers and longevity in wet conditions. In fact, higher end shower cartridges come with a little sachet of silicone grease. Danco is what all the plumbers around here use.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I'm gonna need an infographic that lays out all the grease types available and their tacit applications.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'm gonna need an infographic that lays out all the grease types available and their tacit applications.

just really need to see following

rear end:
Mouth:
Tools

so like
Superlube:
rear end: x
Mouth: x
Tools: Yes

Astroglide:
rear end: Yes
Mouth: Small amounts only
Tools: x

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 16, 2024

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Just put wheel bearing grease on everything and hope for the best.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Mr. Mambold posted:

No way would I use a compressor & cup gun for latex. Maybe for smaller lacquer or poly jobs like furniture.
I have a Graco X9 series airless that's maybe smaller than what I'd call contractor size, but it handles painting an entire house or staining a deck, fence, what have you. It pushed through high grade Sherwin Williams latex with no effort. Different tips also available, but the standard one will do most materials. You can get a certified refurb for $4-500.
Although I've not used one, there's even a roller attachment for doing interior walls, ceilings if you don't like overspray indoors. It just pumps through the handle onto the roller; no more pan & roller B.S.

Harbor Freight also has their line, which I've no idea if they're reliable or durable.

I think they have a higher end tool now, Hercules? but I've no idea of quality.

I picked up the old HF Krause branded Airless paint sprayer years ago, and it's been great. Primed and painted my garage, stored it for a few years, painted my deck, lent it out to a friend... it was money very well spent.

Aaand it looks like they don't carry that model anymore, what a bummer.

https://gopaintsprayer.com/harbor-freight-electric-paint-sprayer/

The Top G posted:

If those are the Irwins, consider getting the Bremen locking pliers from HF next time. In my opinion they’re much better quality (more durable teeth and have a 1/4” square drive interface in the adjustment knob for additional tightening/loosening). Not to mention, they’re half the price

The original Vise Grips have been so bad for a few years now, just coasting on the reputation of the original name. Sad!

I had this exact experience with the Irwin auto wire strippers... returned them and bought the HF ones on a whim and it's night and day difference in quality.

Is it weird that with the general race to the bottom in global tool manufacturing along with the shameless recycling of trusted brands into zombie tools fronting the same ALLCAPS branded poo poo (like Black and Decker or Porter Cable), that my perception of Harbor freight has slightly ticked up over the years? At least I know what I'm getting and am paying for, and that there's a physical store with some level of accountability that I can return poo poo to.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

It really seems like Harbor Freight made a decision to go mid tier and leave the total garbage to the ALLCAPs brands on Amazon.

I've been buying some new and replacement tools the last few months after avoiding Harbor Freight for decades and have been pleasantly surprised so far.

I'm still not going to use them for my primary high use tools, and I'm just a general DIYer so it's not like I'm using them hard but still I've been pleased.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It really seems like Harbor Freight made a decision to go mid tier

Indeed. The Icon stuff is legit nice. The rest is now good for 5-10 uses rather than the one time disposable use of the old days.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Top G posted:

x2 definitely the best readily available all purpose grease
\

As long as one of those purposes is not using it for brake caliper slide pins.

Used it extensively and it sucked fuckin poo poo every single time. The only reason I used it for so long is because I'm dumb.

But yeah, don't use it for brake calipers.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Once upon a time like 15-20 years ago, I bought some c clamps at HF. You know, the finest 19th century technology.

They were made out of such poo poo pot metal that the middling pressure of clamping together 2 pieces of wood I was gluing cracked one completely in half along the back of the C.

HF's quality has improved since? Because I haven't been back since then.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Used it extensively and it sucked fuckin poo poo every single time. The only reason I used it for so long is because I'm dumb.

Why exactly is that? The standard around here is the 'ol Napa syl-glide which is just a not-food safe version of the same thing. What are you using instead? Most of the common ceramics that are used elsewhere on brakes are not necessarily compatible with all rubber boots you may find on slider pins. Especially the new purple stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Used it years ago on my old Mazda before switching to Syl Glide. Every time I switch from summer tires to snows and back I check and lubricate the slide pins if necessary. With the super lube they always were seized. Every fuckin time.

With Syl Glide I could switch sometimes 2 or 3 times before they *needed* it. Like I could say, lube them in the fall, check in the spring, they'd still be fine, check again in the fall, still good and come the following spring they would need to be lubed again.
So a couple tire changes before they needed to be done again.

These days I use the orange or blue(?) ceramic stuff from permatex and it works pretty good. My big tube of Syl Glide is at my brother's place or something and I haven't gotten around to getting it for a while.

And I know about things like too much lube can be as bad as not enough etc..

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

stealie72 posted:

Once upon a time like 15-20 years ago, I bought some c clamps at HF. You know, the finest 19th century technology.

They were made out of such poo poo pot metal that the middling pressure of clamping together 2 pieces of wood I was gluing cracked one completely in half along the back of the C.

C-clamps are a thing where most (almost all) are poo poo, with lovely fine-thread, not acme-thread screws and really lightweight webbed cast iron bodies. Harbor Freight does not sell the kind of C-clamp that really hurts when you drop it on your toe, and that's the kind you want. The good ones have a drop-forged steel body and a big fat acme-thread screw. I got mad about this exact problem and did a deep dive down the rabbithole a few months ago, and you really have to poke around and look at the clamping force. The old school heavy ones are like 4000PSI+ for a 4" and they are almost certainly not in stock locally anywhere. The lovely ones at LowesDepot and HF are like 100O maaaaaybe. What was once a standard C-clamp is now a HEAVY DUTY drop forged c-clamp, but they are well worth the money if you need actual clamping pressure for glue-ups or something. The part # almost always has 40X-D in it somewhere because they are all knock-offs of whoever made the original 404-D (wilton?).

Wilton (is all made in China now nevermind) Williams and Wright still makes some in the US but they cost like $100/clamp. Pony and Bessy and Wilton all make them in China and they are fine and cheap-ish. Yost used to but they discontinued them (their discontinuing of the ones I had been buying is what led me down this whole rabbithole...) and only sell lovely ones. I have some heavy Bessy and Pony ones and they are both fine. One comes with a copper coated screw and one doesn't-get whichever is cheaper or you like the color of, I can't say I prefer one over the other.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

These days I use the orange or blue(?) ceramic stuff from permatex and it works pretty good.

So far the orange stuff is presumed okay for all rubber. Just like the purple stuff which permatex had to eventually admit wasn't.

I'm sticking to silicone (still can't understand how you had different results) for slider pins and ceramic for the actual high temp locations like pad ears and on piston faces.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

stealie72 posted:

More that everyone else has decided to join them at the bottom of slag heap?

But also, it seems that there's a certain tier of baseline functionality in a lot of this stuff? If for the only reason that sometimes it's cheaper to say, use approximately the right metals (eg some flavor of stainless steel), than to paint the pot metal silver.

Plenty of the latter, sure, but there's also a physical store I can take my snapped pig iron pipe wrench to (were I so inclined). As opposed to what I actually did when the wrench failed and I just ordered an assortment of older Ridgid wrenches made in Elyria

That being said I will stan that airless sprayer and auto wire stripper. I'm actually sad the drat thing works better than the name brand because I love nice tools and for whatever reason it's somehow the better tool

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Catatron Prime posted:

I picked up the old HF Krause branded Airless paint sprayer years ago, and it's been great. Primed and painted my garage, stored it for a few years, painted my deck, lent it out to a friend... it was money very well spent.

Aaand it looks like they don't carry that model anymore, what a bummer.

https://gopaintsprayer.com/harbor-freight-electric-paint-sprayer/

I had this exact experience with the Irwin auto wire strippers... returned them and bought the HF ones on a whim and it's night and day difference in quality.

Is it weird that with the general race to the bottom in global tool manufacturing along with the shameless recycling of trusted brands into zombie tools fronting the same ALLCAPS branded poo poo (like Black and Decker or Porter Cable), that my perception of Harbor freight has slightly ticked up over the years? At least I know what I'm getting and am paying for, and that there's a physical store with some level of accountability that I can return poo poo to.

Yeah I was a tool snob and anti-HF for the longest until like 6 months ago when I grabbed a toolbox on close out for like $200 and was like “this is pretty nice, what else have I been missing out on?”. Like Motronic pointed out, their Icon stuff is legit nice. And the easy lifetime warranty is just the icing on the cake.

I work as a contractor and grabbed some hand tools, figuring I’d beat on them and swap them out when they inevitably break, but they have been holding up great. Standouts have been the Channellock knock offs and the duckbill pliers.

And just for curiosities sake i bought their 3/8 split beam torque wrench to compare it to the Tekton. Aside from the ratcheting head, they look, feel, and work identically. I’m quite certain they are coming out of the same factory:

(Icon has a slimmer head with higher tooth count, for $20 less)

Excuse the HF fanboy post :blush: just happy to see some more quality tool options available for us

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

wesleywillis posted:

Agreed with the super lube but I’m still not sure about the ideal grease for brakes .. I’ve done anti seize for the metal on metal points and silicone grease for the slide pins, to protect the rubber boot. Seems like everyone has their own way of doing it.

Motronic posted:

So far the orange stuff is presumed okay for all rubber. Just like the purple stuff which permatex had to eventually admit wasn't.

I'm sticking to silicone (still can't understand how you had different results) for slider pins and ceramic for the actual high temp locations like pad ears and on piston faces.

Yeah this is what I’ve been doing, mostly because I’ve always heard petroleum grease shouldn’t be used on rubber/plastic parts. The purple permatex to which you refer, is it this one?

Because it was something i was looking at, specifically for this:

quote:

Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant is a 100% synthetic lubricant containing real ceramic solids for extreme performance under the most critical braking conditions. A purple, non-melting formula, this premium lubricant is Permatex's longest lasting, most temperature resistant way to silence brake noise such as squealing and chattering. Also effective in preventing long bolt and sleeve seizing and galling; excellent on rolling and sliding surfaces operating in wet or dry conditions from -65 degrees Fahrenheit to 3000 degrees Fahrenheit. This product assures that critical brake parts remain lubricated throughout brake pad life. Resistant to corrosion and contaminants, it will not wash out. Compatible with internal/external brake rubber and plastic hardware, including ethylene-propylene rubber. From special-mission, job-specific lubricants, protectants and dressings, to the rigors of heavy-duty needs, count on Permatex to bring you reliability and problem-solving solutions that extend the life of your equipment.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

The Top G posted:

Yeah I was a tool snob and anti-HF for the longest until like 6 months ago when I grabbed a toolbox on close out for like $200 and was like “this is pretty nice, what else have I been missing out on?”. Like Motronic pointed out, their Icon stuff is legit nice. And the easy lifetime warranty is just the icing on the cake.

I work as a contractor and grabbed some hand tools, figuring I’d beat on them and swap them out when they inevitably break, but they have been holding up great. Standouts have been the Channellock knock offs and the duckbill pliers.

And just for curiosities sake i bought their 3/8 split beam torque wrench to compare it to the Tekton. Aside from the ratcheting head, they look, feel, and work identically. I’m quite certain they are coming out of the same factory:

(Icon has a slimmer head with higher tooth count, for $20 less)

Excuse the HF fanboy post :blush: just happy to see some more quality tool options available for us

I'd be interested to compare the actual torque thresholds between the two, though. I guess you would need a measurement standard for that, but something tells me that is where your delta lies.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Top G posted:

Agreed with the super lube but I’m still not sure about the ideal grease for brakes .. I’ve done anti seize for the metal on metal points and silicone grease for the slide pins, to protect the rubber boot. Seems like everyone has their own way of doing it.

Yeah this is what I’ve been doing, mostly because I’ve always heard petroleum grease shouldn’t be used on rubber/plastic parts. The purple permatex to which you refer, is it this one?

Because it was something i was looking at, specifically for this:

Yes, that's the purple stuff I was talking about and if you call them they'll tell you it hasn't been tested extensively on all rubber formulations. This was in response to it
melting some boots for someone or other of notable youtube mechanic fame.

Like you, I also learned long ago to not use ceramic/petroleum on rubber parts and that has served me well. Can you get away with it on new stuff? Probably. Do I ever work on new stuff? Only if the boot was so bad I had to replace it. My latest jar of that stuff is orange. Because that's what was on the shelf at napa. I don't really think there's much of a difference to these things.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I'd be interested to compare the actual torque thresholds between the two, though. I guess you would need a measurement standard for that, but something tells me that is where your delta lies.

Not the split beam ones but ProjectFarm did look at the Icon torque wrench a few years ago and rated it well for a budget wrench
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HP4uECoH8cc

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Project Farm is the best! That guy does the best most thorough tool reviews I've ever come across.

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Indeed it does—in favor of the Icon :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbism7FtpUo

1/2” is no slouch either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0raQkp3tkg0

Granted, tests of these nature are flawed by nature of only testing one tool but everything I’ve seen indicate they’re at least on par with other models

The Top G
Jul 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Project Farm is the best! That guy does the best most thorough tool reviews I've ever come across.

I chuckle every time I see his latest videos as since about three months ago he’s been including his face on the thumbnail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzusz_eUy8

The thought of a square guy like him takjng clickbait selfies for more views is quite funny to me

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
I was just thinking about that a couple of days ago and concluded that if somebody told me I'd make 10% more money if I spent almost no extra effort staging myself making a funny face, I'd probably shrug and do it too.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

yeah it happens to basically everyone; can't count the number of times I've been watching like a woodworking video and I click on the guy's profile to see a little miniature timeline of the history of Youtube, scrolling the video feed to see the transition from level low res screen captures of a 60 year old dude in his garage titled "Table Saw Safety Tutorial" to gear reviews and thumbnails with huge text like COULD HAVE DIED?? DONT LET MY MISTAKE HAPPEN TO YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

That's what I love about Paul Sellers - he's not gone that way, but every April 1st he does a video in that style.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ill have to give him a watch. Im a big Steve Ramsey fan right now, as someone who is trying to teach himself woodworking beyond your typical (poor in my case) construction framing level.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tee nuts are cool as hell

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

The Top G posted:

I chuckle every time I see his latest videos as since about three months ago he’s been including his face on the thumbnail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzusz_eUy8

The thought of a square guy like him takjng clickbait selfies for more views is quite funny to me

Business is business.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Johnny Truant posted:

Tee nuts are cool as hell

Chicago has the coolest flag

with the dumbest "symbolism"

Adbot