Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palworld is just below Baldur's Gate 3 on most concurrent players ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Pretty funny if we have the Baldur's Gate 3 -like "well nobody expected it to get THAT popular" smash hit of 2024 already in January. Even the discourse seems to have some similar shades of whether it's an actual good game or if everyone got drawn in just because of bear sex/gun pokemons going viral.

Hmm...I can see it. If anything, Baldur's Gate 3 had been in Early Access for years and was eagerly anticipated by nerds such as myself, whereas I'd literally never heard of Palworld until just a few weeks ago.

e: I think peak Steam numbers are during the evening (CET), so it's safe to say Palworld will surpass BG3 today

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 20, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Rinkles posted:

forget palworld being a ripoff, think of the clones it'll spawn.

Bro Orb

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Half a million people are playing it, as a joke

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Phlegmish posted:

Hmm...I can see it. If anything, Baldur's Gate 3 had been in Early Access for years and was eagerly anticipated by nerds such as myself, whereas I'd literally never heard of Palworld until just a few weeks ago.

that's you living under a rock. palworld was a viral sensation since it was announced a year or two ago.

Jack Trades posted:

Palworld is just below Baldur's Gate 3 on most concurrent players ever.

jeez, pubg was in another league (before fortnite took its cake)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m seeing people say they enjoy playing it but have not seen them provide evidence???

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Is enjoying video games even allowed?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Borderlands 3 is currently $12 CAD on Steam. Is it worth it and what DLC options are there? Last one I played was the Pre-Sequel which was really boring.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Rinkles posted:

that's you living under a rock. palworld was a viral sensation since it was announced a year or two ago.

What, really?

Am I that out of touch? No, it's the gamers who are wrong

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

kazil posted:

it's never been confirmed to be even possible

Arc Hammer posted:

Borderlands 3 is currently $12 CAD on Steam. Is it worth it and what DLC options are there? Last one I played was the Pre-Sequel which was really boring.

no

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

kazil posted:

I'll refer this to the admins

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Borderlands 3 is even worse.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It’s wild how popular Hogwarts was and how everyone agreed to just not talk about it.

(e: wild and good)

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Rinkles posted:

forget palworld being a ripoff, think of the clones it'll spawn.

It would be very funny if the next big Pokemon game would be basically just Palworld with bigger budget and meme factor tuned down.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hogwarts: Legacy was technically competent but really boring (to me)

The big draw of Jogwarts is the wacky castle, why did you set 95% of the game in empty caves and interchangeable villages

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It was pretty fun and impressive for a licensed game. The combat system was clever and there was a ton of effort poured into little environmental details for the main areas. Doesn’t really hold up to the best games that came out that year though.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I guess the reason why I thought Palworld was going to just be a goof is because everyone keeps talking about its "meme potential." I don't even know what that means, but when I hear that I think of like, say, Goat Simulator?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

So for those who've actually played Pal World: How is it?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

a7m2 posted:

I've only played a little bit of it but it's surprisingly better than expected. It's still very much an open world survival game to the point where if you don't like those games you won't like this, but it feels less tedious than others I've tried and the not-Pokemon aspect to it gives it some charm.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
People ripping on the dev for making an AI game are driving me nuts. It's a party game where the players use AI art generators; it's using AI for a novel purpose, not to replace workers! It's not actually part of the problem, it's just people seeing "AI" and getting mad. The staff members have tweeted in support of AI, fair enough, but Palworld looks to be free of all of that so like... whatever.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I actually wish Palworld was more of a Pokemon ripoff, I just don't have any interest in rockpuncher games. :(

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Why did I see a thousand boring articles about how super cool it was for BG3 to not have subscriptions or an in-game shop but no one says it about Pal World?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Probably because most people who write articles just found out it existed yesterday.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Why am I not seeing thousands of awful games blogger articles about a game that’s been out for 18 hours

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's because you unlock the ability to subscribe after 26 hours, OP

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

Why did I see a thousand boring articles about how super cool it was for BG3 to not have subscriptions or an in-game shop but no one says it about Pal World?

Nintendo devs about to start panicking and explain that we shouldn't be expecting Palword quality and polish from upcoming games because they don't have the same resources.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

i loved BL3, but it's gone through so many balance overhauls, that i'm not sure that game is still there (not to say the original didn't have a bunch of major issues). if you liked BL2, though, i'd still probably recommend.

Most of the DLC is great.

i have a soft spot for the PreSequel, but it's undeniably a bit of a red-headed stepchild

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Internet Explorer posted:

Probably because most people who write articles just found out it existed yesterday.

Rinkles posted:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

deep dish peat moss posted:

Maybe it's just because it's night and they were playing all day or maybe this is just the way the streamers are now, but I checked out a bunch of Palworld streams and I have never seen streamers look so bored. They're all just silently staring off into space while doing tedious repetitive tasks.

I like the idea of survival games, but they're all Crafting Menu: The Game. I played the gameboy game Survival Kids back in the day, this ain't it!

Phlegmish posted:

Welcome to survival games
Yeah :negative:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mordja posted:

I actually wish Palworld was more of a Pokemon ripoff, I just don't have any interest in rockpuncher games. :(

Well the good news is that it’s only really a rock puncher for the first bit because you get your Pokémon slaves to do the rock punching for you once you catch them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FishMcCool posted:

Nintendo devs about to start panicking and explain that we shouldn't be expecting Palword quality and polish from upcoming games because they don't have the same resources.

You must understand, transitioning to HD has been hard

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

a7m2 posted:

A lot more fun than I expected, and I don't even like Survival Crafting games and have only a mild sense of Nostalgia for like, Pokemon Red/Blue + Gold/Silver.

I subbed to Gamepass to try it out but it's a buggy mess because apparently MS's patch certification process sucks so the game is a few versions behind Steam so I bought the game for realsies. Sucks having to start over on a new world/character, but I guess it'll be faster this time since I know where to go to get the useful pokemon

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Borderlands 3 has the best gunplay in the series but the worst story by miles. If you're looking for a game to play while listening to a podcast this is a pretty decent choice. It's unplayable with the volume on.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MarcusSA posted:

Well the good news is that it’s only really a rock puncher for the first bit because you get your Pokémon slaves to do the rock punching for you once you catch them.
I mean sure but then it's still just an open, procgen sandbox from what I understand. I want a full-length story campaign where you plug a .45 into GaryHarry's brain at the end of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mordja posted:

I mean sure but then it's still just an open, procgen sandbox from what I understand. I want a full-length story campaign where you plug a .45 into GaryHarry's brain at the end of it.

Ok yeah it ain’t that yet and they haven’t said if they are planning a quest/ story into the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

College Rockout posted:

Borderlands 3 has the best gunplay in the series but the worst story by miles. If you're looking for a game to play while listening to a podcast this is a pretty decent choice. It's unplayable with the volume on.

they did eventually patch in skippable cutscenes... but a lot of the dialog is delivered when waiting to accept or hand in a mission

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I found tiny Tina to be alot more bearable than b3. Not a high bar to clear tho.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The writing in the side content in Borderlands 3 is better than the main storyline, which had some interesting ideas that aren't explored. Your character isn't even an active participant in the story bits so there's this weird disconnect. They interject a lot in the side content. But yeah, the gun variety and gunplay are real drat good in the game. The level design is pretty weak but I think the gunplay will carry you through it all. If you can get a friend or two to play with you then it's a real blast.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The gameplay of Borderlands 1 and 2 for me personally was carried by the one interesting class that turned you briefly invincible with a bunch of conditions attached to it, which I found to be satisfying.
Then by the time Pre-Sequel released, it didn't have a class like that, and I grew less tolerant of the cringeworthy writing so the whole series has been a bust for me since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

the thing is the game (BL3) went through a cycle of power creep that buffed legendaries to insane numbers. that was cool and all for end game where everything is buffed to hell with extra modifiers, but finding one of those guns on your first playthrough completely trivialized the rest of the game. for me ruining it.

i don't know if this is something they addressed with patches.