Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I was literally going to post this as an illustration of how much better this thread is when Duck and Cover is muted but you are doing my man Caesar bad here

Caesar Saladin and Raenir Salazar are the only posters I've ever put on ignore and the forums are like at least 20% more readable. It's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I don't really have anyone on ignore but I have thought about doing it with DnC far more than any other poster, in multiple threads.

N:A pissed me off because the game people kept describing to me is mostly up my alley, besides the anime poo poo, and the game itself is such a confusing mistake. I guess I would say the soundtrack is great but that's about it.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe
Nobody on something awful has ever risen to the level of annoyance for me to bother ignoring them, even back in the day.

reddit, on the other hand, I end up blocking half the site. thread after thread of ugly, ugly comments.

once all the normies got on the internet it became such an...uh...awful place, I guess.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
Downloading the Valhalla DLC for GOW Ragnarok. I thought it was only available on PS5, but it works on my humble PS4.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I can understand the value of blocking me, but blocking Duck and Cover is for people who are weak of mind and spirit.

I'm gonna play that God of War Valhalla at some point but I've basically forgotten how to play that game entirely at this point, I'd have to learn what all the buttons and stuff do again.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Nier Automata got me back into gaming after like a 10-year hiatus. It’s objectively a 7/10 but the soundtrack and combat just really made it click for me in a way I wasn’t expecting. Replicant is definitely a more polished, coherent game, though.

Also ignoring posters is dope, everybody should do it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I beat Nier Automata twice and got all the cheevos/trophies and its at best a 7/10 with some ro-butts.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cosmik Debris posted:

which elden ring largely did away with

apart from all the non-telegraphed traps like the spicy chest in the dragon ruins lol that never gets old

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Caesar Saladin posted:

corpse runs in everquest were a true test of your fortitude. All your equipment is on that corpse, you've already lost three days worth of experience and that thing is going to disappear in a few days, ruining your entire character. that game was a terrifying experience at times.

One time, while playing in a ROLEPLAY SERVER (important detail!!!) a HUMAN PALADIN asked me, a DARK ELF SHADOW KNIGHT to help him retrieve his corpse. The HUMAN PALADIN had attempted to raid our Dark Elf home but had been cut down by the guards. So he asked if I could drag his corpse to him. (you could "drag" a corpse by looting it from a small distance; it would relocate the corpse closer to you. If another player had given you consent to loot the corpse, you could "drag" the corpse away from where it had fallen this way) But of course I did not, because I was a DARK ELF SHADOW KNIGHT. I instead gave away all his belongings to new Dark Elf players in the area. And my account got suspended for it.

Later I did the same thing to a *spit* dwarf in some dungeon and my account was permanently banned.

Like, I'm sorry the most evil of races and most evil of classes tricked you and did a bad thing :rolleyes:

My Asheron's Call account also was banned but that was because a friend of mine kept creating characters whose names were slurs :rolleyes:

credburn fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 20, 2024

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Someone seriously used "jump scare" to describe dark souls lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

credburn posted:

But of course I did not, because I was a DARK ELF SHADOW KNIGHT. I instead gave away all his belongings to new Dark Elf players in the area. And my account got suspended for it.

not getting in trouble for lying to people and stealing all their poo poo was one of the only redeeming features of eve

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

The first one did have some janky risky jumps/falls to reach some random items or secret spots. Plus all the times there wasn't but my only way to check was to dive off a ledge.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Khanstant posted:

The first one did have some janky risky jumps/falls to reach some random items or secret spots. Plus all the times there wasn't but my only way to check was to dive off a ledge.

I like this interpretation of jump scare, nicely done

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

The self-assuredness of how clearly objectively correct their opinion is while everyone is simply subjective and wrong is my favourite thing about gamers. You can get some real frothing happening just by disagreeing whether something is good or bad, because it can never be a difference in opinion or preference, but clear disregard for reality.

Anyway, Sonic games were never fun, not even the 2D ones.
The best Mario game was 3.
Walking sims are some of the most interesting and rewarding games available.
The Switch is a worse DS.
Frame rate over 60FPS is just bragging rights.
Keyboard and mouse and controller are both wrong. Traditional joystick or nothing.
The PS5 is the best divorced dad game platform.
Terrible free to play gacha games are better than a lot of indie games that get hyped up.
Walking sims are boring and pointless.
The Sims is an okay franchise.
4X games are terrible and tedious and they consume all my time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Some savvy hardware developer some day is going to become rich when they figure out how to allow a player to use their cock and balls like a joystick, which is how mechs are canonically controlled in the Battletech setting

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

syntaxfunction posted:

The self-assuredness of how clearly objectively correct their opinion is while everyone is simply subjective and wrong is my favourite thing about gamers. You can get some real frothing happening just by disagreeing whether something is good or bad, because it can never be a difference in opinion or preference, but clear disregard for reality.

Keyboard and mouse and controller are both wrong. Traditional joystick or nothing.
Terrible free to play gacha games are better than a lot of indie games that get hyped up.

This is the good poo poo here. Just inject it directly into my eyeballs like in dead space 2.

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

syntaxfunction posted:

Counterpoint:

Gotta go fast

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Cosmik Debris posted:

Counterpoint:

Gotta go fast

:hmmyes:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

QuarkJets posted:

it does like the thing where you go round a corner and SUDDENLY ZOMBIE

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

For whatever reason I never played any Dark Souls, and don't really feel compelled to. And I've never played an rear end Creed game, either. I might even have one of the latter as a free game from Ubisoft, but I'm not sure I'll get around to it.

Hell, I didn't even play Mass Effect until like last year. Those games I did like, though - even Andromeda.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I imagine this is just copied from the "in this home we" sign on your front lawn

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Sonic 1 has a better batting average than Sonic 2. Sure it gets nowhere near 2’s highs, but Labyrinth Zone is the only real stinker it has. Sonic 2 starts off balls to the wall amazing. Real 10/10 stuff. But then you hit Oil Ocean Zone and oof. Just a string of stinkers for the entire rest of the game. It’s like Mystic Cave Zone used up the last of their good ideas but they still had a third of the game left to make. There is nothing to be gained playing past Mystic Cace Zone. You should just consider that the finale and put down the game.
Sonic3&Knuckles now, that’s a videogame. Just perfect the entire time and it never lets up. Not a single bad level (okay maybe half a level).

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdgRJDu4hcU

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014
Sonic 1 is fine, but the levels get more labyrinthine in the sequels that makes it hard to tell where you're going or why, its a problem in a ton of those genesis platformers

regarding FPS, I got a 165hz monitor and now I can get headshots while sniping in games, you can't explain that

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

This is the bass line that I used to practice slap bass with :cool:

There's a Sonic the Hedgehog Symphony being performed in Portland I think next month. Man if I were still with my ex we'd have our tickets ready. But now I'm single and depressed and don't feel like making the drive :(

credburn fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 20, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

This is the best video game music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUsbsvG7QIE

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

galagazombie posted:

Sonic 1 has a better batting average than Sonic 2. Sure it gets nowhere near 2’s highs, but Labyrinth Zone is the only real stinker it has. Sonic 2 starts off balls to the wall amazing. Real 10/10 stuff. But then you hit Oil Ocean Zone and oof. Just a string of stinkers for the entire rest of the game. It’s like Mystic Cave Zone used up the last of their good ideas but they still had a third of the game left to make. There is nothing to be gained playing past Mystic Cace Zone. You should just consider that the finale and put down the game.
Sonic3&Knuckles now, that’s a videogame. Just perfect the entire time and it never lets up. Not a single bad level (okay maybe half a level).

Same, except the bad level in Sonic 1 is Marble Zone because it forces you to wait so often. If you’re not playing the original release, Labyrinth is fine with the spindash and Tails and Knuckles (or Sonic & Tails) can avoid the boring parts of Marble Zone like riding a slow block over lava.

I like every level in 3&K, even both acts of Sandopolis. I’ll take a tricky level over one that just makes you wait.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sebmojo posted:

it does like the thing where you go round a corner and SUDDENLY ZOMBIE

The zombie was standing there the whole time though, if you can easily see it early by just not sprinting at full speed then it's not a jump scare it's the devs shouting at you "STOP RUNNING IN THE HALLS" like a grade school teacher

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Also scary!

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Vakal posted:

My favorite is listening to true crime podcasts on youtube where they have to mute out or use euphemisms for all scary words like suicide, murder, rape or else they get demonetized.

It makes me want to go down the sewer slide.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Disco Pope posted:

It makes me want to go down the sewer slide.

Soup of slide? I'm gonna kermit

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

credburn posted:

There's a Sonic the Hedgehog Symphony being performed in Portland I think next month. Man if I were still with my ex we'd have our tickets ready. But now I'm single and depressed and don't feel like making the drive :(

Go anyways. It's OK to have fun alone. Don't let yourself stop you.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

QuarkJets posted:

why are you laughing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

credburn posted:

You gotta go! You might just meet your future Knuckles wife

Brimstone Inquiry
Jan 21, 2007

Khanstant posted:

You gotta go! You might just meet your future Knuckles wife

To inflate his hopes like a Sonic fanart; is this permissible?

Also, games with petable dogs = old and busted*; games with eatable foods = new hotness.

Games that don't put food in them are just leaving money/positive impressions/good vibes on the table. It can be vibrant, mouth-watering fare from Vanillaware games or Monster Hunter World, basic but detailed food that makes you want to get a piece like Abby's burrito or that bread in Yakuza, or even barely perceptible images like in Final Fantasy XIV whose descriptions are enough to evoke rampant culinary imagination; food is a universal good that anyone can get around. Hell, even the *Chunks* in Starfield can somehow get people to talk about them in a generally positive manner.

Truly, for a developer to leave free review points on the table for want of digital food is a flaw that must be rectified post-haste.

*false, all dogs must be pet

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I don't like if you have to kill dogs in video games. :(
In Deus Ex I only used the baton on them and I still felt very bad. :(

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Outpost22 posted:

I don't like if you have to kill dogs in video games. :(
In Deus Ex I only used the baton on them and I still felt very bad. :(

I just tell myself they'll respawn and that they're happy to die because they're doing their part to make the video game.

It's harder with movies though, especially if it's an emotional one. I went to see I Am Legend (the Will Smith one) 3 days after my 14 year old German Shepherd died and if you've seen that movie then you know what an emotional rear end-beating that turned out to be for me.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

unpopular opinion: i dont care about killing dogs in videogames

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Adding in dog petting to video games is like the most memey effortless low-hanging fruit. I've never pet a dog in a video game and I never will.

Cats, sure. But that's because cats are cool and not many games have a pet cat button. This is because cats are intelligent animals that know they should stay away from gamers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
They can be a really scary enemy type in games, usually have to run or focus em down else get pinned down