Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

It’s part of one of the launch DLC, alongside an extra endgame dungeon, which is bundled into the upgraded editions.

There’s no “give us 5 bucks just for NG+ and only NG+” thing going on like people seem to think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

sure hope that endgame dungeon is less bullshit than the true final millennium tower

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Cheers. Yakuza/LaD is one of two series that I like having the physical copies of (I got a copy of Gaiden from Japan), the other being the Ultima series. I even bought the clan crest badge set that Sega put out a few years ago, though I never did buy the Kiryu aftershave because that seemed frivolous even for me.

One day I hope to have enough money that purchasing copies of Ultima I and II doesn't seem like a small fortune (they regularly approach Ł1000 on ebay).

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

quote:

Sign up by February 2, 2024 and receive Ichiban Kasuga's Hello Work Employee Special Outfit! Enter your details and we'll email a code to your inbox with instructions on how to download the in-game content after the game is released on January 26th, 2024.

https://infinitewealth.sega.com/newsletter/index.html?lang=en

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Oh, so he was working at Hello Work? Was that explained before?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

He looks very polite

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Why would I want this when I'm going to have every character permanently in their bathing suits?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Oh, so he was working at Hello Work? Was that explained before?

We knew he was doing some kind of white collar office work from the trailers, but not specifically that afaik.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This street ambient conversation mechanic thing in 7 loving sucks. The conversations are fun but there are so many wandering thug groups and they interrupt you constantly. I just had to try six times to get through one.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Supposedly 8 is fixing it so that a conversation will pick up from where you left off after a fight concludes.

But also, you can press triangle/y to skip each line like in normal conversations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it'd be better if they were a complete copy of tales skits.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

This street ambient conversation mechanic thing in 7 loving sucks. The conversations are fun but there are so many wandering thug groups and they interrupt you constantly. I just had to try six times to get through one.

Even after completing sujidex and thinking I'd walked everywhere a thousand times there are still like half of conversations left! Though idk how many are repeats because I didn't stick around to get it done most of the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Alacron posted:

But also, you can press triangle/y to skip each line like in normal conversations.

Oh nice. It said something about negative consequences to skipping so I didn't.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it'd be better if they were a complete copy of tales skits.
Ichiban portrait.jpg doing powerpoint animations would rule

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
A modder needs to make it so you can have everyone except Kiryu speaking English.

Kiryu can stay speaking Japanese. He took those English lessons in 3 so he could understand it.

Or just saying 'beautifur eyes' or 'hey sweet cheeks'

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
One day they can remake the story of 0 and 1 as a Western with cowboy Kiryu punching his way through saloons and gunfights.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Khanstant posted:

One day they can remake the story of 0 and 1 as a Western with cowboy Kiryu punching his way through saloons and gunfights.

Rockstar and Ryu Ga Gotoku make Red Dead Redemption 3 a Like a Dragon game you cowards.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Like A Daigo

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Paying2Lurk posted:

EN Ichiban > JP Ichiban.

The subs for the JP audio were also weirdly stiff and plain in LaD. I'll probably go through the game in EN and then switch to JP for NG+ like I did with LaD to compare.

Clown

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

You deserve yongyea kiryu lmfao

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Calling someone a clown for wanting the better translation and liking one of the best casting choices in a Sega game feels like some real jester poo poo imho.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

That's right

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

IAmTheRad posted:

A modder needs to make it so you can have everyone except Kiryu speaking English.

Kiryu can stay speaking Japanese. He took those English lessons in 3 so he could understand it.

Or just saying 'beautifur eyes' or 'hey sweet cheeks'

Except Kiryu and Date. Date's English VO in 7 was a pretty cheesy Cary Grant impression.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shiftypenguin posted:

Except Kiryu and Date. Date's English VO in 7 was a pretty cheesy Cary Grant impression.

Date sounding like a cheesy TV detective is 100% on brand and awesome though? Like have you seen the dude?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
They 1000% need to keep Date’s Y1 actor so someone can make an edit of his Poundmate summon with the Goof Troop theme playing as he lights up a squad of goons.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Shiftypenguin posted:

Date in English is voiced by Bill Farmer, who's doing a slightly subdued version of his voice from Sam & Max. It's the perfect voice for a hardboiled detective like Date.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

amigolupus posted:

Date in English is voiced by Bill Farmer, who's doing a slightly subdued version of his voice from Sam & Max. It's the perfect voice for a hardboiled detective like Date.

Eh, to each their own. I thought it was too generic for the voice for a detective character. The detective voice makes sense for Sam and Max, tho, since they're much more parodies of detectives than Date.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Last Celebration posted:

Calling someone a clown for wanting the better translation and liking one of the best casting choices in a Sega game feels like some real jester poo poo imho.

K. Enjoy yongyea btw.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Last Celebration posted:

Sorry, but you must go to jail.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
also jesters are better than clowns

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dongicus posted:

K. Enjoy yongyea btw.

Okay, I'll enjoy Danny Trejo and Daniel Dae Kim.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Bought the series on the Steam winter sales, just started playing 0 for the first time.
And holy poo poo I'm loving it. Thought it would be more Sleeping Dogs GTA clone open map and not just a few streets.
Hoping to 100% them all eventually.
But do you really need to learn how to play Mahjong and Shobi?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

happyhippy posted:

For 100%, yes. It'll also take you the rest of your life just to 100% Yakuza 5.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

happyhippy posted:

Bought the series on the Steam winter sales, just started playing 0 for the first time.
And holy poo poo I'm loving it. Thought it would be more Sleeping Dogs GTA clone open map and not just a few streets.

You can brute force thr mini games, takes longer but its funnier

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

happyhippy posted:

Mahjong is a pretty cool game and is worth learning. You'll also need to learn which of the games have loving horseshit cheating AI, but overall a fun time once you learn the basics which are pretty simple.

Shogi is a game designed by ancient soothsayers who wanted to design a game computers couldn't solve once chess was invented and computers got too good at it. They also didn't want humans to get too good at it and hated paying craftsmen so all the pieces look the same but act very differently and you can summon people from the graveyard and there is no way to win a game of shogi. So you do puzzle shogi and use the cheat item to make your moves for you.

In fact all the gambling games have cheat items for free wins which are usually enough to get you to Amon completion.

I wouldn't advise going for 100% but instead aiming to complete enough of the games internal checklist to fight Amon who is the super secret boss in every game once you've done all the main and side chores, but well before 100%

100% gets ridiculous fast. On top of repeating minigames you've beaten to death before, you'll also have to do poo poo like walk around holding a child's hand for a few hours walking for kilometres around the city-- and guess what, holding anyone's hand in these games for any length of time is one of the hardest things to keep up. Can't walk too fast or slow, have to try and avoid an infinite flow of NPCs who will break the handhold, or slight geometry just shoves y'all apart.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Mahjong is a pretty cool game and is worth learning.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I bought a nice mahjong set after I played Kiwami or 0 and still haven't found 3 people to play with or learned the scoring rules enough to explain to others w/o computer doing it. I do just play with the tiles sometimes, click em around, makes a nice noise.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

happyhippy posted:

100%ing Y0 takes a LONG time so don't burn yourself out on your first game. Do what seems fun, and you can leave the rest for later. Every game has a Premium Adventure post-game mode where you can run around and do all the side stuff.

Shogi, just do what everyone else does and use a Shogi AI player. Either to do the puzzles, or input the CPU's moves as yours in the AI then copy what it does in response. Shogi is "just" chess but with the ability to place captured pieces back on the board. Learning the symbols and movement of each piece doesn't take too long, but the Yakuza CPU is notoriously hard even if you actually know how to play. So again, just cheat it, get your CPs, and look into it outside the game if you want to learn.

Mahjong is awesome! If you've ever played Gin Rummy it's similar to that. You're trying to "go out" by making a hand of 4 sets and a pair. The variant in the game is Riichi Mahjong which has a couple extra rules about when you can go out, plus some special hands made of specific combos of tiles. That's it. Not too intimidating, right?

This is a good resource if you like reading:
https://mahjong.guide/a-beginners-guide-to-riichi-mahjong/

And this is a no-frills video series about it:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLPBLBlC-7G3s92GyGOprSmZ1mqgh0U0DI&si=XdYKn_aaF6w6XJ4I

You'll learn a bunch just by playing. The game does have some annoying achievements for mahjong, but just play without them in mind until you have an idea of what's going on. Then you'll have a better chance at tackling them. Or you might just get one or two by sheer luck.

Good luck, take breaks, and have fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I try to do everything once and if something grabs me I'll do it every now and then until I don't want to anymore. That said I don't think I've ever managed more than like 40% completion.