Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Perfectly excusable to play Grim Fandango following a walkthrough. The story is worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Shadow of Mordor/War and Wildermyth have a really cool system that I like a lot where characters have procedural little stories happening to them that alter their looks and gameplay effects. I enjoy those systems a lot but there doesn't seem like there are many games that do that.
Stuff like XCOM and Darkest Dungeon don't quite hit the same because their systems are super basic and barely affect the gameplay at all.

Are there any other games I should look into for similar mechanics?

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Galick posted:

Hey folks! So anyone got a game that would be good for a group of up to 5 at times (with varying amounts playing, rarely the full five) that has the following from my buddy:

"can play with a variable number of us at once, doesn't have a progression that causes problems of some of us falling behind or getting too far ahead, and has a massive amount of replayability"

Our old game for this was League of Legends, we've tried Barotrauma that three of us loved but the other two hated with a passion, and we're not super looking for another competitive game.

The big thing is making sure no one feels bad if the others play without them because work schedules are hard.

Games that we've played and loved in the past:

League of Legends
7 Days to Die (we may try again with the latest update, we stopped like a year ago)

Things that we've looked at:
Project Zomboid (myself and another are kind of iffy on this)
Raft
Valheim
Lethal Company

Anyone got any suggestions?

Maybe check out Deep Rock Galactic, everyone has their own independent progression that never prevents you from playing with each other. Only problem is that the max group size is 4 by default, but I think this can be circumvented with mods.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jack Trades posted:

Shadow of Mordor/War and Wildermyth have a really cool system that I like a lot where characters have procedural little stories happening to them that alter their looks and gameplay effects. I enjoy those systems a lot but there doesn't seem like there are many games that do that.
Stuff like XCOM and Darkest Dungeon don't quite hit the same because their systems are super basic and barely affect the gameplay at all.

The Shadow of Mordor devs went and patented their "Nemesis System", so I wouldn't hold my breath :(

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Galick posted:

Hey folks! So anyone got a game that would be good for a group of up to 5 at times (with varying amounts playing, rarely the full five) that has the following from my buddy:

"can play with a variable number of us at once, doesn't have a progression that causes problems of some of us falling behind or getting too far ahead, and has a massive amount of replayability"

Our old game for this was League of Legends, we've tried Barotrauma that three of us loved but the other two hated with a passion, and we're not super looking for another competitive game.

The big thing is making sure no one feels bad if the others play without them because work schedules are hard.

Games that we've played and loved in the past:

League of Legends
7 Days to Die (we may try again with the latest update, we stopped like a year ago)

Things that we've looked at:
Project Zomboid (myself and another are kind of iffy on this)
Raft
Valheim
Lethal Company

Anyone got any suggestions?

Raft is doable but once you build your raft up to the point that your survival needs are taken care of then the only activity worth doing is hitting the plot-related islands, which is something you'd want everyone there for or they'd be Missing Content.

Valheim is exactly the game you're looking for, especially since most of your character's power comes from gear and food so even if someone hasn't played in a while you can boost them up to everyone else's level. And the structure means that the boss fights are the only times you'd need everyone to be there at the same time, in between people can explore, build, or farm resources on their own time. I recommend setting up a server if you really want people to all be able to play whenever they want to.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Jack Trades posted:

Hmmm...maybe Dragon Dogma and its pawn system? Caves of Qud with its elaborate world generation that creates lore, backstories, history, and so on? Maybe Battle Brothers and Solasta...or Kenshi? Games like Rimworld, Prison Simulator, Dwarf Fortress and The Sims where the little guys have their personality traits and butt heads with each other in the fishbowl if you leave them to their business?

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Jack Trades posted:

If you like little stories that develop over time something like Dwarf Fortress is pretty good. It also has an 'Adventure Mode' where you control a single character (the modern / non-ASCII version is coming out April 2024 on Steam) if you don't enjoy the fortress management aspect.

This video talks about how you can make a story experience better, because it doesn't all just write itself - things like giving some characters their own names and keeping track of what happens to them helps a narrative to develop, since the game doesn't technically have its own story and is all about the journey and events you go through, and the history you maintain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZDCzRvBq1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOntGAdzgso

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 18, 2024

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

I’m on PC and have a friend on XBox.

What are some good cross platform co-op options for us?

We’ve already played through Borderlands 3 a couple times and Halo 3/ODST. Some flavor of RPG might be cool to try next, but I’m not dead set on that genre.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

FishBowlRobot posted:

I’m on PC and have a friend on XBox.

What are some good cross platform co-op options for us?

We’ve already played through Borderlands 3 a couple times and Halo 3/ODST. Some flavor of RPG might be cool to try next, but I’m not dead set on that genre.

Destiny 2 (looter shooter mmorpg)
Dead by Daylight (match based horror movie competitive game)
Grounded (survival game)
Tiny Tina Wonderlands (fantasy Borderlands)
Valheim (viking survival game with deliberate progression)

All of these are crossplay and would fit your bill.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Minecraft Dungeons!!

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I've been playing Dawn of Man again and would like to find something else with a similar stone age/chalcolithic setting. Definitely something more on the colony/city scale than civilization-focused. Would Clanfolk fit that bill? Are there other options?

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

I just signed up for Xbox gamepass on my PC. My father has an xbone with gamepass but rarely uses it, which is something he has said he feels bad about. I'm seeking recommendations for gamepass xbox-PC cross play games we could try together, ideally something that a senior could handle (My dad would say he probably felt most comfortable gaming during either the 8 or16 bit eras.)

I'm currently looking at Deep Rock Galactic, Minecraft Dungeons, and Powerwash Simulator. Would appreciate any input into others we should consider. Thanks!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bann posted:

I just signed up for Xbox gamepass on my PC. My father has an xbone with gamepass but rarely uses it, which is something he has said he feels bad about. I'm seeking recommendations for gamepass xbox-PC cross play games we could try together, ideally something that a senior could handle (My dad would say he probably felt most comfortable gaming during either the 8 or16 bit eras.)

I'm currently looking at Deep Rock Galactic, Minecraft Dungeons, and Powerwash Simulator. Would appreciate any input into others we should consider. Thanks!

Streets of Rage 4
Human Fall Flat

Deep Rock can get pretty nuts on the higher difficulties, but hazard levels 1+2 should be fine for anybody

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Streets of Rage 4 rules.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Streets of Rage 4 rules.

Bann
Jan 14, 2019

Streets of Rage 4 looks just about perfect, but it seems to me like its no longer on gamepass? Unless I have the wrong tier of gamepass (I picked the basic one, but saw there was an "ultimate" as well?)

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Play mechwarrior 5 with your dad

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Bann posted:

Valheim

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Play mechwarrior 5 with your dad

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

exquisite tea posted:

Streets of Rage 4 rules.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Bann is right about it no longer being on Gamepass unfortunately

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Wow this thread was far beyond the first page even though it has bunch of new posts.

Trying to find something besides FF14 to play as my comfort food game as it has a dry spell (Yeah I know there's always stuff to do there but...) I *do* play hardcore content in FF14 too but what I'm looking for is basically...

- Comfort food game (So I can launch it after rough day and know what I'll be doing, maybe?)
- Chance to be social with random people, and that it has people around you or to play with without having to organise a lobby to play in.
- Pretty Princess dress up.
- Preferably not horrible monetization (I'd probably try Black Desert if I wasn't reticent about this).

WoW is not it because I do not really care to engage with its community no matter how much a raider I used to be. (If it has somewhat toxic community you can suggest one though).

edit: This is basically the same question I asked the last time :ughh:

Monster Hunter World might apply but drat that game requires engaging on another level. On another hand I haven't tried the game since getting my current rig (I do own it).
....Palworld looks chill at least but I don't think it has barely any meaningful dress up and requires lobbies for multiplayer I think?

Dessel fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 20, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Dessel posted:

Wow this thread was far beyond the first page even though it has bunch of new posts.

Trying to find something besides FF14 to play as my comfort food game as it has a dry spell (Yeah I know there's always stuff to do there but...) I *do* play hardcore content in FF14 too but what I'm looking for is basically...

- Comfort food game (So I can launch it after rough day and know what I'll be doing, maybe?)
- Chance to be social with random people, and that it has people around you or to play with without having to organise a lobby to play in.
- Preferably not horrible monetization (I'd probably try Black Desert if I wasn't reticent about this).

WoW is not it because I do not really care to engage with its community no matter how much a raider I used to be. (If it has somewhat toxic community you can suggest one though).

Monster Hunter World might apply but drat that game requires engaging on another level. On another hand I haven't tried the game since getting my current rig (I do own it).
....Palworld looks chill at least but I don't think it has barely any meaningful dress up and requires lobbies for multiplayer I think?

Karmazoo
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1661630/KarmaZoo/

Book of Travels
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1152340/Book_of_Travels/

Elden Ring?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Star Wars Old Republic MMO is still going, and I had an okay time with it. Didn't get social with it, but there's people.

It's mostly free to play, but there are a bunch of ways to dump a lot of money if you want.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Thanks for the recs. Will look into Valheim and Mechwarrior 5 as crossplay options.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Dessel posted:

DRG misses on point 2 (lobby-based) but it hits every other point handily so I'm gonna suggest it anyway :v:

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Dessel posted:

Diablo 2 resurrected maybe

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Dessel posted:

Guild Wars 2 is the chillest of the MMOs. You can just wander out into the world, and if there's an event going on, the game will group all players who stop to participate automatically. There's more involved stuff available as well, but it's the kind of game that rewards players for doing just about anything. No need to bother with modes you don't care about. The base game is free, and there's a lot to do and see.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Dessel posted:

City of Heroes? There's a thread for it in the MMO subforum

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

It's been a long time since I checked in on "survival games where you scavenge post-apocalyptic ruins of cities/towns." I've been watching a lot of Escape from Tarkov, and I'd like something similar but without the PvP. Something I can boot up and go looting after smoking a bowl. What's best right now? Is it still Fallout and STALKER?

E: PC and switch, would orefer PC recs

big cummers ONLY fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 21, 2024

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

big cummers ONLY posted:

It's been a long time since I checked in on "survival games where you scavenge post-apocalyptic ruins of cities/towns." I've been watching a lot of Escape from Tarkov, and I'd like something similar but without the PvP. Something I can boot up and go looting after smoking a bowl. What's best right now? Is it still Fallout and STALKER?

Dying Light 1
Metro 2033/Last Light, maybe

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

big cummers ONLY posted:

I assume you're looking for something a bit more 3D/immersive than Project Zomboid?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

big cummers ONLY posted:

Maybe ZERO Sievert is what you're looking for?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1782120/ZERO_Sievert/

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

All those fit the bill, thanks. I'll reinstall Dying Light and see if it clicks for me this time. Don't remember why I quit early when I got it. Could have just been I didn't have time for games. Thanks!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

big cummers ONLY posted:

There is actually a big mod for Tarkov that takes it completely offline, and simulates enemy PMCs as ai bots. You get full progression and loot, just like you were online, but it's all AI.

There is also the GAMMA installer for Stalker Anomaly, a massive mod megapack that brings the original games into a more detailed and Tarkov-y light.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

big cummers ONLY posted:

Zero Seivert is a top down 2d pve stalker

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

been thinking about Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction and Mercenaries 2: World in Flames a lot lately. any suggestions for games like those since, oh, 2020 or so? i've considered games like GTAV, Sleeping Dogs, your various Saints Rows, and Watch Underscore Dogs 2, but those aren't quite the right vibe

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The truest successor to the Mercenaries series is the Just Cause series, although as they go on they get more elaborate with the mobility tools they give to the player as opposed to just the ability to hijack enemy vehicles.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

being a Flying Jackass With A Grappling Hook seems fun, but can you drop airstrikes of increasingly gratuitous size and destructive capability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
anybody got some ideas for what I can play for a River City Ransom fix?

I'm talking about an open world beat'em up with RPG elements where you can just wander around, level up, learn new moves.

I've played River City Ransom, River City Girls and River City Underground. I haven't been able to get into the Yakuza games, so please don't recommend those. Recently played Final Fight Streetwise and was surprised to find I really liked it and it scratches this itch. That game is known to be one of the worst games of all time so I think that lets you know the level of jank I can deal with if something has other elements I like.