Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Asterite34 posted:

A good thing to take on embark are Turkeys. Massively productive in terms of eggs, and can produce more leather, meat and bones than chickens or other domestic fowl. Don't even need to pasture them like larger livestock, just factory farm them in a closet with some nest boxes. If you're willing to be patient and careful, you only need one breeding pair to have a dozen adults within a year or so.

Pretty much the only animal that's more economically useful are things like alligators and cave crocodiles and stuff that produce even MORE eggs and meat and leather and such, with the added bonus of being potential war animals! But those you're gonna have to catch and domesticate yourself on-site.

Poultry in general is good, but I think the turkeys are optimal, yes. I also like pigs as the only animal (apart from putting maggots, I guess) that can be milked but don’t need pasture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The shearable animals are also fairly nice because wool is generally less labor-intensive than plant cloth. Though I eagerly await dfhack coming out with autoshear

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Anvil is optional, I always just buy one from the trader (or request one if it doesn't come with the first one) and it frees up a lot of points for other stuff. You're generally not going to be getting into smithing the first year.
Unless you're bringing ore/metal instead of tools. I think it works out better points-wise than bringing axes and picks prebuilt, even with the cost of the anvil, and you can bring cheap ores to make like, bronze or something instead of paying through the nose for prebuilt copper tools. You will need to bring some fuel to use to make an axe, of course, since you won't be able to chop down trees form the start.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Someone here definitely got me on to the strategy of bringing fuel + ore + anvil + ore and smashing out 20 bars as soon as you've parked the wagon so you can make a bunch of tools or whatever else floats your boat. A little management intensive, but very point efficient.

Specifically, 21 bituminous coal, 10 cassiterite, 10 tetrahedraite, and 1 charcoal. One charcoal is fuel to convert the coal to fuel, which then provides enough fuel to convert the rest of the coal, which allows you to make 20 pieces of bronze.

Captainicus fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 20, 2024

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
This whole discussion made me wonder, in rimworld there's a naked brutality start where you have nothing at all. Is that even possible in df, or can you do nothing without your homeland issued pick?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can embark with nothing and as long as the biome is reasonable you'll be fine, though it'll be kinda boring waiting for the traders

You can even do it tradeless by raiding nearby settlements

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Azhais posted:

This whole discussion made me wonder, in rimworld there's a naked brutality start where you have nothing at all. Is that even possible in df, or can you do nothing without your homeland issued pick?

If you have nothing you can eat surface food and just wait for the traders to bring tools. But it's dull.

If you have just an axe (or materials to make an axe) you can get wood and build yourself a wooden house with beds. But you still aren't progressing without traders.

If you have just a pick (or materials to make a pick) and an anvil you can strike the earth and, eventually, do everything without relying on traders. That's the closest to a naked and afraid start IMO.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

has the steam version been patched so you can select quantities during embark in ways other than clicking +/- over an over? I personally tend to increase the starting budget so I can bring like, a pile of construction materials and things but actually adding those is a huge pain

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

You need something to make a trade depot out of, I think it takes 5 materials?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Nettle Soup posted:

You need something to make a trade depot out of, I think it takes 5 materials?

it takes three, and, very conveniently, a deconstructed wagon provides three lumber.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Ah that's fine then!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Do wooden training axes not work to cut down trees anymore? You could easily turn your three free wagon logs into a workshop and a couple axes so a no-items start could at least be able to chop trees for a wooden starter base.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

That's the thing about embark, you're always paying for convenience. You can get a lot of value out of bringing ores and fuel instead of tools, or you can save yourself from having to set up smelting and forging early. But like other posters point out, you really don't need either the value or the convenience. You get to pick and skip doing whichever parts you don't like.

To all you turkey lovers I posit an alternative though, and it's peafowl. Grows up twice as fast, making that second generation hit that much sooner. Still more than half the eggs, meat and bones each. And you get to picture all your dwarves with peacock feathers on their hats and helmets. Only drawback is the extra entities, but that's honestly just a reason to have a long term plan for transitioning away from most lifestock entirely if you want your fort to go long.

Definitely want to know about the wooden training axes though, that's hilarious.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh yeah, you should always check the list for weird animals too. Sometimes they'll offer you unicorns, or elephants!

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Nettle Soup posted:

Oh yeah, you should always check the list for weird animals too. Sometimes they'll offer you unicorns, or elephants!

Ah yes, fondly reminds me of my fort Fiercetusks the Deep Towers of Trade and its war elephants. They ate so, so much grass. On that note: Customising the emblem and name of your civ and fort are a real pro move during embark, even if like me you mostly hit the random button until you get something funny or cool, or something that gives you a thematic idea for the playthrough.

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Jan 21, 2024

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Azhais posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aA6z71Z2u8

He raided his neighbours until he got an pickaxe and anvil, due to self imposed rules against importing things.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

If you don't go the raiding route, is it literally just gathering plants and fishing, neither of which require a tool? I guess you can make clothing if you start with the proper plants available. Make a giant food stock pile outside, gather, sell for just enough for a pick/axe/whatever else? Can't make alcohol or meals unless you sacrifice one of your wagon logs for a barrel, am I missing anything else?

You could also wrestle animals to death and make crafts from their bones...

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You can also butcher the two animals who come with the wagon

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Admiral Joeslop posted:

If you don't go the raiding route, is it literally just gathering plants and fishing, neither of which require a tool? I guess you can make clothing if you start with the proper plants available. Make a giant food stock pile outside, gather, sell for just enough for a pick/axe/whatever else? Can't make alcohol or meals unless you sacrifice one of your wagon logs for a barrel, am I missing anything else?

You could also wrestle animals to death and make crafts from their bones...

You can make meals, they're just a bit inefficient to store. They'll still stockpile even w/o a barrel.

If you had sand, a magma pipe and you bought a single magma-proof material, such as bars or a rock, you could set up a glass furnace for glass pots. Needs some bags though, hmm. Yeah maybe not. Clay doesn't require bags, but I don't think you can store drink in it unless you glaze it, which needs wood or... tin?

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jan 21, 2024

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mzbundifund posted:

Do wooden training axes not work to cut down trees anymore? You could easily turn your three free wagon logs into a workshop and a couple axes so a no-items start could at least be able to chop trees for a wooden starter base.

Nope.

Nettle Soup posted:

You can make meals, they're just a bit inefficient to store. They'll still stockpile even w/o a barrel.

If you had sand, a magma pipe and you bought a single magma-proof material, such as bars or a rock, you could set up a glass furnace for glass pots. Needs some bags though, hmm. Yeah maybe not. Clay doesn't require bags, but I don't think you can store drink in it unless you glaze it, which needs wood or... tin?
There's a type of clay which doesn't need it but you'll probably need to dig out an area to harvest it in, so, pick.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If you are bringing a single magma proof item its better imo to use it to make a kiln so you can actual queue up the clay collecting job. Raw clay can be used as a stone replacement.

Pasture animals on top of clay bearing soil, they can trample the veg away and you can harvest it.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Captainicus posted:

Someone here definitely got me on to the strategy of bringing fuel + ore + anvil + ore and smashing out 20 bars as soon as you've parked the wagon so you can make a bunch of tools or whatever else floats your boat. A little management intensive, but very point efficient.

Specifically, 21 bituminous coal, 10 cassiterite, 10 tetrahedraite, and 1 charcoal. One charcoal is fuel to convert the coal to fuel, which then provides enough fuel to convert the rest of the coal, which allows you to make 20 pieces of bronze.
That's how I do it, but you don't even need to bring the charcoal. Just disassemble the wagon your party came on and burn those logs in a wood furnace you make with one of those ore boulders.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
i brought some ducks and drakes on this trip. do i need to do anything for them besides set up a few nest boxes? is there some UI monster i have to defeat before eggs are properly eaten but fertilized ones are left to grow?

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Dwarves will automatically pick up any eggs from a nestbox unless its in an area they can't reach or they're forbidden. Easiest way to handle it is just set up a pen with some nest boxes in a locked room and just unlock it when you want dwarves to pick up the eggs. Or you could have a second pen that's always accessible just for eggs.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah wooden axes havent worked in awhile

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

VideoWitch posted:

Dwarves will automatically pick up any eggs from a nestbox unless its in an area they can't reach or they're forbidden. Easiest way to handle it is just set up a pen with some nest boxes in a locked room and just unlock it when you want dwarves to pick up the eggs. Or you could have a second pen that's always accessible just for eggs.

They won't move the eggs if no stockpile accepts eggs. Cooks may still take them if they have meal jobs queued up and the nests are closer than any other source of ingredients.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Turpitude posted:

My embark loadout always has 7 dogs. 1 male 6 female, then they each get trained as war dogs and each of the first dwarves gets their own war dog. The eventual pack of puppies is housed in a cage near the entrance, linked to a lever. In an emergency the lever opens the cage and releases the hounds, causing chaos among hostile NPCs. Most effective when the cage has war animals in it, but that takes a few seasons

If I'm not mistaken, animals (including domestic) can be gay or aro/ace. If that's true, then relying on a single dog♂ has a chance to just... not work. When I can fit it in the budget I go for two.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I often bring 14 dogs now, 2 or 3 of them male. I make up the points by bringing stuff to make tools instead of tools, and lots of milk. Milk is dirt cheap. Any dwarf can quickly turn stacks of worthless milk into stacks of valuable cheese.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jinnigan posted:

i brought some ducks and drakes on this trip. do i need to do anything for them besides set up a few nest boxes? is there some UI monster i have to defeat before eggs are properly eaten but fertilized ones are left to grow?

dfhack has a utility to manage them for you, if nothing else

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Griddle of Love posted:

If I'm not mistaken, animals (including domestic) can be gay or aro/ace. If that's true, then relying on a single dog♂ has a chance to just... not work. When I can fit it in the budget I go for two.

Checking the wiki you're correct, but the odds are only 5% for it being gay or ace.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Telsa Cola posted:

If you are bringing a single magma proof item its better imo to use it to make a kiln so you can actual queue up the clay collecting job. Raw clay can be used as a stone replacement.

Pasture animals on top of clay bearing soil, they can trample the veg away and you can harvest it.

You can also build a dirt road to reveal clay/sand for gathering.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rincewinds posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aA6z71Z2u8

He raided his neighbours until he got an pickaxe and anvil, due to self imposed rules against importing things.

So this and the other responses would lead me to say that it isn't possible exactly. What came first, the dwarf or the pick?

Wonder of there's a mod for hand crafting stone picks and axes so you can make a survival start

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Azhais posted:

So this and the other responses would lead me to say that it isn't possible exactly. What came first, the dwarf or the pick?

Wonder of there's a mod for hand crafting stone picks and axes so you can make a survival start

You can definitely start with no items just fine. I started a run this evening, without raiding. Just had to gather plants and make lavish meals until the Autumn caravan came. They had an anvil, axe, and a pick so I was off and running after that.

Granted, it might not be possible in a harder biome without raiding or starting with everyone having skills in fighting/wrestling.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Azhais posted:

clearly the first pick was made out of dwarf bone in a fell mood

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The gods provided the dwarfs with everything they needed to be dwarfs when the world was created a few hundred years ago. The first anvil probably still exists.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

cant you make stone tools in adventure mode?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

The gods provided the dwarfs with everything they needed to be dwarfs when the world was created a few hundred years ago. The first anvil probably still exists.

Probably being used as a throne now.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Anyone got some cool world generation setups? I'd love something with lots of major rivers, extreme cliffs, seaside cliffs with a literal sandy beach, etc.

Super tempted to start turning off aquifers again, my latest embark on a volcano river is a pain in the rear end because of all the light aquifer layers around the volcano that I don't want to keep messing with.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/975370/view/3973931474165976101

More adventure mode news! Looking forward to how this leads into myths and magic as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Good additions all around but the mention of procedurally generated healing magic has got me excited