Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Needed gold, silver, and bronze medals for something I'm doing at work. Decided to paint up some Grenadier dwarves instead.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

just eat your paints, cowards

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What is the best tasting paint and why is it humbrol enamel?

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I guess I am confused, are people shaping the brush with paint on it? If not you are not ingesting much, if any paint. Especially if you have a two stage brush wash set up. Dirty water wash, clean rinse, shape brush, get paint, apply paint, repeat process.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

To paraphrase the guy who was in charge of the GW paint line, just because it's non-toxic doesn't mean it's a good idea to ingest it.

Just roll the brush in the crease of your hand instead.

As a reformed ex-brush licker, this is the pro-tip right here that lickers need to read.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I guess I am confused, are people shaping the brush with paint on it? If not you are not ingesting much, if any paint. Especially if you have a two stage brush wash set up. Dirty water wash, clean rinse, shape brush, get paint, apply paint, repeat process.

It's mostly after the brush has been rinsed in (paint) water. I'm not ruling out the possibility of people out there straight-up slurping their acrylic paint off their brushes like lolly pops though.

Prawned posted:

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 20, 2024

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
You'll Cowards Don't Even Eat Paint

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
I think my delta regiment scheme (the grey) is better than my alpha scheme (rust/orange).

Thoughts?

Also featuring a Lyran King Crab

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 20, 2024

paperface
Apr 20, 2005

My name's paperface, and I'm the Biggest Idiot Ever!

Finsihed a tactical detachment, made a start on a terminator detachment. I have decided I'm going to count each dude, rather than each stand, as a completed mini, meaning I have already painted 25 minis this year (gotta get my annual average up somehow!)

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Saint Celestine posted:

I think my delta regiment scheme (the grey) is better than my alpha scheme (rust/orange).

Thoughts?

Also featuring a Lyran King Crab

Both the grey and red are sweet, but I'm leaning towards the grey being cooler, the logos and lights/cockpit on it really pop

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
I really love that little white dot lens trick. It always looks so cool.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Prawned posted:

Kylaer posted:

You'll Cowards Don't Even Eat Paint

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I haven't tried it yet, but i bought some Raphael 8404s from the UK -> USA and they shipped just fine, if anyone cares to buy some, I bought some from Jacksons

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Jacksons was good for me, I got the Da Vinci series 35 from them without any issues, that is a pretty solid brush that I've been using more than I would like to admit.

And the local art store did have a Size 4 Raphael 8404 that I did end up picking up, because it was just hanging out on a rack and I could take a look at it and see that it only had 2 hairs exploding and nothing else obviously wrong with it.

Maybe one day I'll get a huge figure and use that brush to paint it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

If you aren't eating and huffing paint why are you even in this hobby?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

you're a crypto tradcath

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What does everyone do with their Space Marine, Terminatory looking minis with a giant neck cavity?

Do you just paint it the same base color, neutral grey, black, base tone + black mix?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
What is there to do with it? You don't need to touch it.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

please do not innovate new goony ways of causing yourself brain damage

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lostconfused posted:

What does everyone do with their Space Marine, Terminatory looking minis with a giant neck cavity?

Do you just paint it the same base color, neutral grey, black, base tone + black mix?

Basecoat and then shade it. Or leave it black if that's your undercoat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Now that i actually look at it. Raphael 8404 are bigger than I expected. I got #1 #2 because I tend not to bother with very large brushes and very small brushes are so tiny that the paint dries off quickly, but even #1 is a bit larger than I like to use.

A Raphael #1 seems comparable in size to a Rosemary #3

I'll try these but I think maybe a Raphael #0 or something might be the size I want. The #2/0 seems to have bad reviews but that size looks like a rosemary #1...hrm

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jan 21, 2024

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The bellies are larger, but the points are comparable. I spend 90% of my time painting with a Raphael 8404 size 1 & 2.

Being able to work with paint for longer is a blessing.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I’ve got some Blood Bowl guys with decals and I’ve never used them before. What should I used for applying them - I see microset and microsol thrown around a lot

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Lamuella posted:

Needed gold, silver, and bronze medals for something I'm doing at work. Decided to paint up some Grenadier dwarves instead.

Whoa blast from the past, good job (I grew up with that starter box)

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Eyes are hard.

But at a distance they're not bad at all. Also I didn't use any washes for this because I am a masochist.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Yeast posted:

The bellies are larger, but the points are comparable. I spend 90% of my time painting with a Raphael 8404 size 1 & 2.

Being able to work with paint for longer is a blessing.

Yep. 95% of my painting is done with an 8404 size 2, even the little details because the point is just a few bristles no matter the size.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Taking a little raven guard break, and finished the base for the grotmas gitz

I paint incredibly slow, this probably took like.. 5 hours ;l

Whole thing is gonna take a while

Megaspam
Mar 1, 2007

In this ever changing world in which we live in.

Toebone posted:

I’ve got some Blood Bowl guys with decals and I’ve never used them before. What should I used for applying them - I see microset and microsol thrown around a lot

Tweezers, an old brush, a medicine cup full of water, and a paper towel.

Put some microset on the surface of the model first and then you can push the decal around with the brush. When it’s in the right spot, dab it with the paper towel.

I only use microsol if the surface isn’t flat. Once everything is dry, you can brush on some micro flat or any other matte varnish to get rid of the sheen on the decal.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

lilljonas posted:

Whoa blast from the past, good job (I grew up with that starter box)

A company called EM4 bought the molds when Grenadier went out of business, so now you can get huge sacks of them for next to nothing:

https://em4miniatures.com/collections/plastic-fantasy-miniatures

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Toebone posted:

This is a decent quick guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2TBhhAngUY

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I want to paint up a small halfling warband. Since coming back to the hobby, I have confined myself to troops in a very specific uniform and these are a real hodgepodge.

How do I maintain a kind of visual coherency while not making them look like they are all wearing a uniform? I don’t want it to look like a clown has taken a poo poo after eating a glitter bomb either.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
I recently did two big rabble armies (orks & skaven) and my way of unifying the chaos was picking a prominent, shared accessory to tie a unit together. For the orks all the shoulder pads were red, or if a model didn't have shoulder pads it had a helmet which was red instead. Similar for the skaven, though I used the shields / weapons to do that.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Southern Heel posted:

I want to paint up a small halfling warband. Since coming back to the hobby, I have confined myself to troops in a very specific uniform and these are a real hodgepodge.

How do I maintain a kind of visual coherency while not making them look like they are all wearing a uniform? I don’t want it to look like a clown has taken a poo poo after eating a glitter bomb either.

I've painted a decent amount of Malifaux warbands, and if I'm doing a skirmish sized force and want them to have some visual consistency I tend to pick a colour (or group of colours) and make sure I use it on every figure (or as many as its practical to do so. If theres a flame elemental or wild animal or similar in the warband its tough to find somewhere to work in dark purple). So say its purple, some figures might have purple coats or shirts, others maybe only have it on hatbands or belts, but its present. You can expand this idea as much or as little as you want, you could just pick a limited palette of a handful of colours and say everyones entire clothing must be from this group of 4 colours, varying up which is the main colour vs accents. Very unified but I feel less realistic than "They've decided this is their gangs colour so everyone finds something dyed that colour to wear". I did it like once and hated the process so now tend to default to the "pick a single colour, maybe a main and an accent" version. Its find for this one to be all in black, as the wrapping of his axe and the lining of his cloak are the team colour.

Or, if I'm not feeling that (or the figures just dont allow for it for whatever reason) you can do it with basing, do something slightly out of your ordinary, and do it across all the bases. Could be a decorative features like a particular colour of flower tuft, a slightly unusual ground covering, or could be a particular biome ("This warband is being based as if on the streets of a forgotten city in the desert" "This warband are on a cracked dry riverbed" "This warband are in the snow"). Just having them all look like they are standing in the same place can do a lot for making them look like they belong together.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Southern Heel posted:

How do I maintain a kind of visual coherency while not making them look like they are all wearing a uniform?

Use a mother colour to unify all the tones and shades.

Example: https://www.instagram.com/p/C0OM6QwtRGm/?igsh=MW9oMjZvNWF1djVyNA==

Technique: https://youtu.be/p0nqofvkFdQ?si=rQtImTAf042xvq8y

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

iospace posted:

Eyes are hard.

But at a distance they're not bad at all. Also I didn't use any washes for this because I am a masochist.

Eyes look better with eyeliner on real people and miniatures. fyi.

also i love that you have a votann head on that space marine

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Southern Heel posted:

As mentioned a mother colour can do the trick, and the easiest way to unify a scheme. Another option I like is to pick a shadow colour and a highlight colour and mix those into all your midtones to create your shadows and highlight, simulating the idea that all the models are in the same light.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Eyes look better with eyeliner on real people and miniatures. fyi.

also i love that you have a votann head on that space marine

Yeah, I'm aware. Practice will make it better!

Lots of practice. Good thing I have these spare marine heads that are not going to be used to practice on. But yes, thank you, though the idea to use Votann heads was not mine, but a twitter user's. Now to find some Sigmarine ladies that I can borrow heads from for some different hair as well!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Got bored with Custodes again, decided to do something else for fun on a Sunday evening.

I just have one question, why do chaos warriors look so god drat good.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

Got bored with Custodes again, decided to do something else for fun on a Sunday evening.

I just have one question, why do chaos warriors look so god drat good.

Because being bad is just so good

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I finished off the first lance of my Battletech mercenary company. I went through the full end-to-end process of rolling up a star system, planets, governments and technology levels, then the available mechs and cost, the cost of pilots and engineers, ammo and fuel, etc. - ended up with a 'perfect' merc company. I rolled up the factions and contracts, specifically identified one and figured out the pay, danger bonus, profit split and recompense for ammo and repairs. Then I did nothing with it.

The tester mini was painted with duller colours which in retrospect I think looks better, but I'm trying to make my style deliberately more bright and vibrant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tried using brighter colors, but it might be a bit too much