Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Evil thought is placing the liability on the changer of fluids and not having the vehicle properly supported/chocked for a CYA situation.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 19, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm stuck in my driveway after a big snowstorm. My differentials aren't buried, I've dug out the tires so they should be rolling downhill when I back up, and I'm just spinning the tires even with studded snows. Any ideas other than having a friend with a truck come and pull me out so I can finish clearing the driveway? I'm in a really lovely mood and I don't want to subject anyone else to it.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Depends on what you have on hand and willing to sacrifice...

Toss your floor mats under the tires for a start.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

or jam a board under the back edge of the tire, or sand, or rock it - go forward and back to loosen it up.

Anything you can get the tire biting on that isn't snow or ice.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Just got a 2019 RAV4 and it's the nicest car I've ever owned. I want to keep it that way.

Is ppf and ceramic coating a good thing to get, what's a ballpark budget, and what should I avoid?

I'm in Colorado, and chipped up hoods, clear coat degradation, and general abrasive weathering are the norm here.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

or jam a board under the back edge of the tire, or sand, or rock it - go forward and back to loosen it up.

Anything you can get the tire biting on that isn't snow or ice.

Oh, I do have 4 2x4s that would probably fit if I can get them under the tires, if I can do that and then rock it back a few inches that might do it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Oh, I do have 4 2x4s that would probably fit if I can get them under the tires, if I can do that and then rock it back a few inches that might do it.

Just be careful because those are possibly going to shoot out in the opposite direction of the car. Just in case you have kids that are going to be out there with you or anything.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Just got a 2019 RAV4 and it's the nicest car I've ever owned. I want to keep it that way.

Is ppf and ceramic coating a good thing to get, what's a ballpark budget, and what should I avoid?

I'm in Colorado, and chipped up hoods, clear coat degradation, and general abrasive weathering are the norm here.

I’m of the opinion that PPF is only worth doing if you care to have it. Chips and poo poo will happen, yes, but I don’t worry too much about some affecting the value of the car.

Ceramic coats can look really nice and offer good protection, but again I’ve been pretty okay with having a clean enough car handwashing and all that stuff.

There is a detailing thread in this forum too here:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I took a short (no more than ~3.5 miles) drive to CVS this afternoon in my 2021 Toyota Corolla SE. It's the type with the push button starter. When I had made my purchases and went back to my car, I pushed the button and got a message: "Car not ready to drive". It said something about 'place key in emergency lock', so I swiped my key fob close to the ignition button. This was probably dumb because it made the car alarm go off. Pushing the emergency button on the fob did not stop the alarm.

Pressing the button again seemed to start the car just fine and it seemed OK driving home, but I was a bit spooked. I've had this car for a few months (used but in great condition) and it's never done anything like this. There has been a cold snap in my area and I'm wondering if it freaked out the electrical system? I've heard that weaker batteries sometimes don't function well in cold weather, but I drove the car all day yesterday and it was fine (as far as I can tell). I can't imagine that the battery is bad because I bought from a reputable dealer. Any advice?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nitsuga posted:

I’m of the opinion that PPF is only worth doing if you care to have it. Chips and poo poo will happen, yes, but I don’t worry too much about some affecting the value of the car.

Ceramic coats can look really nice and offer good protection, but again I’ve been pretty okay with having a clean enough car handwashing and all that stuff.

There is a detailing thread in this forum too here:

I'm honestly not concerned with maintaining value so much as I just want to have a car that looks nice for as long as possible. The combination of sun, road grit from dirty snow, hail, and increasingly dirty rain is harsh here, and I'm amazed at the amount of gravel that gets kicked up on interstates. I'd never gotten a rock chip in a windshield till I moved here and I've had probably 6 across 4 different work and personal vehicles in the last 10 years.

It's got a big sun/moon roof too, and I've seen ceramic tint recommended, especially as a little extra hail protection.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I'm honestly not concerned with maintaining value so much as I just want to have a car that looks nice for as long as possible. The combination of sun, road grit from dirty snow, hail, and increasingly dirty rain is harsh here, and I'm amazed at the amount of gravel that gets kicked up on interstates. I'd never gotten a rock chip in a windshield till I moved here and I've had probably 6 across 4 different work and personal vehicles in the last 10 years.

It's got a big sun/moon roof too, and I've seen ceramic tint recommended, especially as a little extra hail protection.

I get it. It does sound like you’re a good fit for some PPF. I’d see who does it around you and talk to them about options and pricing. The idea of tinting a sunroof is making me chuckle, but it’s sensible.

Here’s the link to that thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474488

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I took a short (no more than ~3.5 miles) drive to CVS this afternoon in my 2021 Toyota Corolla SE. It's the type with the push button starter. When I had made my purchases and went back to my car, I pushed the button and got a message: "Car not ready to drive". It said something about 'place key in emergency lock', so I swiped my key fob close to the ignition button. This was probably dumb because it made the car alarm go off. Pushing the emergency button on the fob did not stop the alarm.

Pressing the button again seemed to start the car just fine and it seemed OK driving home, but I was a bit spooked. I've had this car for a few months (used but in great condition) and it's never done anything like this. There has been a cold snap in my area and I'm wondering if it freaked out the electrical system? I've heard that weaker batteries sometimes don't function well in cold weather, but I drove the car all day yesterday and it was fine (as far as I can tell). I can't imagine that the battery is bad because I bought from a reputable dealer. Any advice?

This does sound like a flaky battery. I’d talk to your dealer first. Some even have service hours on Saturday. Definitely something to look into whatever the case.

nitsuga fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 20, 2024

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

PPF front/leading edges then ceramic coat everything is a good compromise to a full PPF wrap.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Is there anything to high mileage oil?

The stuff they advertise as being better for engines with more than X number of miles on them?

I haven't paid much attention to that in several years but I remember something about saying theres stuff in them that makes seals swell up a bit to reduce oil leaks for example.
Probably other stuff but I don't recall what else.

So is that real or just marketing poo poo?

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I want to do an aesthetic restoration of my 2012 Toyota Corolla. I've kept it well maintained, and even though it's a 12 year old car with 120k miles, a well-running Corolla can be expected to keep going for a long time. So I don't mind investing in making it look good again.

First of all the bumper needs to be replaced. I assume if I buy one myself this isn't going to be too complicated to install? Also I need to take it to a reconditioning shop for some exterior scratches, especially on the bumper from a bike rack, and to replace some of the upholstery - mainly the driver's armrest, which is stained from my sweaty arm and pretty scratched up as well. Finally, I just want to clean the inside really well. Obviously it's not hard to take your car to the wash and vacuum it out. But there's all those nooks and crannys with dirt and chip dust. I feel like I'm never going to do a great job of this myself, but maybe I have to. I don't see "deep cleaning" as a service from the restoration shop. Is there somewhere else that would do this?

Any other recommendations or warnings? This isn't something I've thought about much before. I've always just been satisfied to drive my sloppy car around, but I'm trying to step up my game.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Most detail shops will offer various levels of service, like Gold, silver, bronze etc. Opt for the goodest one. THats the one that should get in to all the nooks crannies and cracks.

If you're going to take it to a body shop to get some scratches etc repaired, you might as well bring the bumper there too and have them replace that.
The car is 12 years old there will most likely be a bunch of fiddly little plastic pieces that break when you try to take the bumper off. The body shop will probably be better at removing things without so many of those pieces breaking, and they'll know what and where to get them when they do. Also they'll be better at getting the panel gaps right and if they're reputable, it'll have a good warranty for their work.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

are those throttle controllers like Pedal Commander legit? I'm trying to make my 2019 Silverado 1500 "fun" to drive since I don't have a manual to drive right now, this looks like a great way to do that but the easy-install-no-warranty-voided seems too good to be true.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I would get the interior well detailed before going to an upholsterer

if it’s just stained a good deep clean with some fancy detailing products could take care of it

but any decent auto upholsterer should be able to replace or refurbish your armrest/seat/whatever cover and refoam it as needed with a short turnaround

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

are those throttle controllers like Pedal Commander legit? I'm trying to make my 2019 Silverado 1500 "fun" to drive since I don't have a manual to drive right now, this looks like a great way to do that but the easy-install-no-warranty-voided seems too good to be true.

They just mess with the throttle curve. You can press the gas pedal harder and get the same effect.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

wesleywillis posted:

Most detail shops will offer various levels of service, like Gold, silver, bronze etc. Opt for the goodest one. THats the one that should get in to all the nooks crannies and cracks.

If you're going to take it to a body shop to get some scratches etc repaired, you might as well bring the bumper there too and have them replace that.
The car is 12 years old there will most likely be a bunch of fiddly little plastic pieces that break when you try to take the bumper off. The body shop will probably be better at removing things without so many of those pieces breaking, and they'll know what and where to get them when they do. Also they'll be better at getting the panel gaps right and if they're reputable, it'll have a good warranty for their work.

Makes sense. In fact, if I’m taking it to a body shop anyway, I wonder if it makes sense to just get a quote from them on the bumper before buying one. It was split when the car was towed out of a gully. Probably needs to be replaced, but maybe they can use their magic to patch it up.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

opengl posted:

They just mess with the throttle curve. You can press the gas pedal harder and get the same effect.

you just saved me a lot of money, ty!!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Makes sense. In fact, if I’m taking it to a body shop anyway, I wonder if it makes sense to just get a quote from them on the bumper before buying one. It was split when the car was towed out of a gully. Probably needs to be replaced, but maybe they can use their magic to patch it up.

I would talk to them first. Some shops would not be interested in dealing with customer parts. It is kind of a hassle lugging one around too FWIW.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Do thermostats typically control coolant flow to the heater core along with the rest of the loop? More specifically, a 2014 Nissan Versa Note.

My mother has this piece of poo poo with a rebuild transmission that is only like 5000 miles old, and they may have put on a transmission oil cooler as part of that work, I have no idea. Lately she says the temp gauge is going up to two notches below red, and goes right back down with the heat on. The shop is telling her it's the transmission again. I'm doubtful of that, but I do think the new transmission is already dying coincidentally. I'm thinking thermostat, but it's hard to know without being there to see it myself. She needs the car to last another 3 or 4 months.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

wesleywillis posted:

Is there anything to high mileage oil?

The stuff they advertise as being better for engines with more than X number of miles on them?

I haven't paid much attention to that in several years but I remember something about saying theres stuff in them that makes seals swell up a bit to reduce oil leaks for example.
Probably other stuff but I don't recall what else.

So is that real or just marketing poo poo?

it's real in that it's a different formulation. what's different about it varies brand to brand but generally it's made with slightly higher viscosity than the nominal weight on the bottle to handle minor bearing wear, and has an increased amount of all the standard additives; detergent/dispersants to fight sludge and conditioners to treat gaskets.

how much of any of this makes any difference probably depends on the engine and how it's aging

e: and when i say "increased", i mean over that brand's standard oil. most brands the premium oil has even more of all the additives than the high mileage

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 21, 2024

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

We're new to driving in areas where they salt the roads regularly. We just took a weekend trip and our car (2021 Mazda CX-5) is absolutely covered in salt and dirt (thanks Pittsburgh).

Having lived my life terrified of rust up to this point, when is the correct point to clean the car's exterior? Tomorrow it will be above freezing for part of the day, Tuesday it'll be above 40, and it'll be above freezing (and raining!) the rest of the week.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I live in a heavily salted area and I take my cars to the auto wash about once a week.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Korwen posted:

We're new to driving in areas where they salt the roads regularly. We just took a weekend trip and our car (2021 Mazda CX-5) is absolutely covered in salt and dirt (thanks Pittsburgh).

Having lived my life terrified of rust up to this point, when is the correct point to clean the car's exterior? Tomorrow it will be above freezing for part of the day, Tuesday it'll be above 40, and it'll be above freezing (and raining!) the rest of the week.

Clean it when it’s covered in salt. If it’s on the sides, there’s twice as much underneath. That’s the part you need to worry about.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Korwen posted:

Eh. Wait until it rains and drive it in the rain a bunch. If you’re still worried about salty water accumulating in the undercarriage/etc then by the end of the week give it a good and thorough underbody spray with a hose/take it to a self service place and do it for a buck or two.

Regular rinsing is better than no rinsing but the caveats about automatic roll-thru car washes still apply and I personally try to avoid putting my cars through one.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

I was very happy with http://www.adkos.com/ when I had my Cayenne shipped from NC to Seattle. They're not the cheapest option, but they're great to work with.

Wanted to say thanks for this recommendation. So quick and easy. Was only ~$125 more than when we shipped a car about 6 years ago, so not bad. The driver had to move a Ferrari to get mine on the carrier. I told them I wouldn’t mind if he dropped that one off mistakenly.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

trilobite terror posted:

Eh. Wait until it rains and drive it in the rain a bunch. If you’re still worried about salty water accumulating in the undercarriage/etc then by the end of the week give it a good and thorough underbody spray with a hose/take it to a self service place and do it for a buck or two.

Regular rinsing is better than no rinsing but the caveats about automatic roll-thru car washes still apply and I personally try to avoid putting my cars through one.

What's wrong with the automatic car washes?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

trevorreznik posted:

What's wrong with the automatic car washes?

The ones with brushes can scratch your paint, but I wouldn't think a touchless would be bad. Though they do tend to use some pretty harsh soaps in them.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

18 Suburban Premiere

Once you hit 70mph on the highway, you get tons of road noise. It’s low-pitched but really loud. The closer you get to 80, you can barely hear someone in the back talking. If you turn the steering wheel to the left, like 10 degrees around a curve, it goes away. Makes the sound when turning right, so only left makes it go away.

It’s my wife’s car and they have some good M+S tires on them from the Reno dealership. I dismissed it as just regular road noise from the more knobby tires. We drove from Sac to Reno today and that’s when I noticed the left turn thing, so it makes me think that it’s definitely something else. We just had the tires rotated a month ago and the noise really doesn’t change when you go to a differently-paved roads.

Axel boot? Alignment? Something else?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 22, 2024

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You might just have loud rear end tires

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

And the sound goes away when I only turn left? Seems odd to me.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Well I'm pretty sure a fuel line isn't supposed to look like that, and on initial thought it was what was limiting the gas to my carb.

So I replaced the entire line with 1/4" started it up, and now it won't go above 2400 RPM without dying.

Only things left to do are swap out the Weber carb for another I bought a while back and see if that has anything to do with it or blow out the pickup screen

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Also the crankcase vent hose is spewing a mix of water/gas but I replaced the distributor and had some time before I got the timing right, I read some blowback during that is to be expected.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

And the sound goes away when I only turn left? Seems odd to me.

Never when turning right?

I’d bet it’s CV or bearing related if that’s the case

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Never when turning right?

I’d bet it’s CV or bearing related if that’s the case

Nope, only left.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

The ones with brushes can scratch your paint, but I wouldn't think a touchless would be bad. Though they do tend to use some pretty harsh soaps in them.

And the touchless ones with really strong water and air jets can rip some of your plastic trim right off

literally happened to me twice on two different cars before I learned my lesson

I had to get them to shut off the machine and let me go in and grab the piece one time. loving awful experience

Also they can potentially blow dirty water into your ventilation holes/hvac and places/directions you don’t want water to go

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Nope, only left.

Sounds like probably a wheel bearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Sounds like probably a wheel bearing

Ok I’ll have it looked at, thanks.

Another thing I thought of is when we bought it last year, sharp turns felt like the bigger tires (maybe? They’re 275/55R20) were rubbing up against the wheel well. This trip today it feels considerably worse and even moderate to tight turns get that rubbing feeling, but a bit harder.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jan 22, 2024