Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Honestly Something Awful is way more hung up on the bear sex than anywhere else I've seen, other sites generally talk about the gameplay, plot or characters. I basically never saw a reference to the meme a week after release outside of Something Awful, meanwhile you still can't mention the game on these forums without someone Did You Know-ing about how much money the game made or how it was because of bear sex.

I wanna say it's because on SA people are generally more fixated on trying to figure out 'why' games are popular?

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 21, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
goons love loving bears, is all. don't be weird about it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Sex? Gross

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Rinkles posted:

I don’t think it’s just a meme game. It’s not gonna be for everyone, but there was clearly some thought put into how to make this work. It’s got jank, but I think it’s a decent game.

Yeah

It's got an intro movie, some story, and an ending currently.

It's taking people 30-40ish hours to get to endgame. Probably more to get all the Pals.

It's got 100 Pals ingame already.

It's got 6-7 total big boss fights.

Tech tree is fully fleshed out already.

They could drop support today and the game would be feature complete and fine at $25. Calling it a meme game is itself the meme at this point.

I feel like we all agreed before release that there was no way this could be good, and rather than shrug and go "huh, guess it was" you've got a subset of people now weirdly needing to cling to the fact it's secretly not good. Everyone is just on board the meme train! They'll fall off! Just you wait!

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Rookersh posted:

I feel like we all agreed before release that there was no way this could be good, and rather than shrug and go "huh, guess it was" you've got a subset of people now weirdly needing to cling to the fact it's secretly not good. Everyone is just on board the meme train! They'll fall off! Just you wait!

There is a post from a certain permabanned goon shortly after Death Stranding came out where they said they were looking forward to (literally waiting with excitement) people turning on the game so that they could they gloat about being right all along for never liking anything. I think about that a lot.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Rookersh posted:

There's been literally one person ITT who has called it a meme game post-release, I think you're confusing this subset of people with the people who are saying "I played it and didn't like it."

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone have any idea how likely it is to be moddable?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

meme gang

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
is lisa the painful a good game? been kinda weary of indie rpgs

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

deep dish peat moss posted:

There's been literally one person ITT who has called it a meme game post-release, I think you're confusing this subset of people with the people who are saying "I played it and didn't like it."

it is a meme game
looks fun though might buy it

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

euroshopper posted:

meme game

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

euroshopper posted:

it's an indie rpg

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it's an indie rpg

ya but i need goon opinions on the game before i buy

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

euroshopper posted:

ya but i need goon opinions on the game before i buy

Personally I found the story to be overall kind of gross because it's all about protecting a literal baby/very young child from all the post-apocalyptic rapists who want to kidnap her for gross reasons (and they succeed multiple times iirc) and I didn't really want to deal with those themes enough to finish it, but the gameplay itself was pretty good and it does some interesting things with choices that have major permanent consequences. At one point I made a choice that literally cost me an arm, which changed up my character's combat abilities and came up multiple times in how story events got resolved. If you can stomach the themes of the game it's a pretty fine indie RPG, maybe even good. It had big Earthbound vibes mechanically and in some of the presentation, but instead of being wholesome like Earthbound it was the exact opposite of that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 21, 2024

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Palworld is pretty funny. I swung at some random tutorial NPC (who, like everyone else in the game at this point is wearing like caveman clothes and armed with a sharp stick) and a big WANTED symbol popped up and immediately a cop ran up wearing modern riot gear and pulled out a pistol and killed me in a couple shots. Got a legitimate laugh out loud from me.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Sometimes I leave Steam reviews just so I can click the box that says I received the game for free, even though I didn't :cool:

I don't know why anyone is perplexed why someone thinks Palworld is a meme game, when leading up to its release that's all anyone had to say about it. I had never even heard the term "meme game" until people started talking about Palworld.

credburn fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jan 21, 2024

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Rinkles posted:

They specifically mentioned wanting to have Steam workshop support eventually I think

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Rookersh posted:

It is kinda weird that it's good though. Like 99 times out of 100 a game with a trailer like that ends up being crap.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pyf meme games

mine is Quell: Memento

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Serephina posted:

Wait wait, this Palworld frenzy is still in early access? With like a kabillion sales?

You fools, you utter fools.

these open world survival crafting games can thrive in early access for the better part of a decade because the core gameplay mechanic is to push the game to the limits between major updates and server resets

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Cross-posting from the beat a game thread:

FutureCop posted:

Recently finished up CULTIC and I'm posting my Steam review here:

A great boomer-shooter that combines elements from Blood and Resident Evil 4: from Blood it takes the horror/occult themes, ridiculous gibby gore and the tactical yet fast-paced combat of using cover, peeking, and clearing rooms with dynamite before entry to deal with deadly hitscanners, and from RE4 it takes the weapon upgrading system and campaign pacing where every level is something fresh and provides so much spectacle.

Even after beating it, I was raring to get right back to replaying it on Extreme difficulty: the game's just that satisfying to play in general. Speaking of, the game's also ridiculously cheap for the amount of content you get: the campaign already would've been enough, but with a bonus interlude level and a survival arena, it's a steal!

If I had to find something bad, I will say that my first impression of it wasn't the greatest: for example, the choppy animation for enemies can make it awkward to anticipate their movements and aim precisely, and in particular, dealing with hitscanners at extreme long ranges in open areas who react to you immediately made the game feel like such a pixel-hunt snipefest. However, once you get used to the combat design (which can be awkward if you have come from more run-n-gun shooters, as I did) and get better tools to deal with engagements, it grabbed me and wouldn't let go.

In other news, I just came back recently from MAGFest and am hoping, once I recover, to write up and showcase some of the indie games I got to play!

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

euroshopper posted:

It's phenomenal, a tragic treatise on masculinity and violence that manages to touch on extremely dark subjects without crossing the line into crass edginess, while also miraculously managing to be one of the funniest games ever made. I cannot recommend it enough.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Pigbuster posted:

It's phenomenal, a tragic treatise on masculinity and violence that manages to touch on extremely dark subjects without crossing the line into crass edginess, while also miraculously managing to be one of the funniest games ever made. I cannot recommend it enough.

ok, but is it a meme?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

ok, but is it a meme?
https://twitter.com/Zingus5/status/1680941603236507648

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

It's tape!

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Rookersh posted:

SEVEN MINUTE LONG CUTSCENE

suggesting anyone subject themselves to MORE BL3 dialogue is insane

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

stop trying to make me respect randy pitchford

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Ghostlight posted:

stop trying to make me respect randy pitchford

*Absolutely no one who asked*

Randy Pitchford: "Let's put Duke Nukem in Bulletstorm and charge extra for it."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
In Lisa, you're only able to use a savepoint a single time, and at one point you get a motorcycle that is as functional inside the RPG Maker engine as you can imagine. I gave up after like the third time in a row, trying to jump over a gap or something on the motorcycle caused the game to freeze for a moment, which caused me to fall down a pit and die, which meant I lost all that fuckin progress because you can't just save your game at any time, or multiple times :mad:

I liked it until that point though. I kind of would like to play it through with cheats or something :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

credburn posted:

In Lisa, you're only able to use a savepoint a single time, and at one point you get a motorcycle that is as functional inside the RPG Maker engine as you can imagine. I gave up after like the third time in a row, trying to jump over a gap or something on the motorcycle caused the game to freeze for a moment, which caused me to fall down a pit and die, which meant I lost all that fuckin progress because you can't just save your game at any time, or multiple times :mad:

yes you can. save points only detonate on the hardest difficulty

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Something really important to say about BL3 is if you do plan to play it, stop playing at a pivotal moment and dig up the cutscene they removed.

You'll know when it happens, so I don't need to say when, but go watch the cutscene on Youtube.

I actually didn’t know about this but honestly I completely forgot about her. Which yes is probably in no small part because that cutscene was removed but there’s a lot more problems than just that one character.

Edit: lol though that they cut this out but left in Girl on Fire

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Rinkles posted:

FAQ posted:

[Does Palworld support modding? Steam Workshop?]
Steam Workshop support won't be supported straight away but we plan to add it after launch. Palworld is made in Unreal Engine 5 and we look forward to seeing what sort of mods people come up with!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Palworld is confirmed to be better than Elden Ring and Palworld isn't even finished.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Palworld is a playable shitpost pushing the boundaries of IP infringement, made by some AI dude, and it’s massive with all the Twitch freaks who need something to watch while their favourite bikini streamer is offline.

It’s not a surprise it’s popular. Is it any good? I honestly don’t think it matters. We’re a month removed from The Day Before, we know Gamers™️ will latch onto weird poo poo for weird reasons, and at least Palworld meets the bar of being a functional product that isn’t an obvious scam.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's truly a genius move to combine the Treepuncher audience and the Pokemon audience, the two groups of people that are well known to have absolute zero standards.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Bumhead posted:

Palworld is a playable shitpost pushing the boundaries of IP infringement, made by some AI dude, and it’s massive with all the Twitch freaks who need something to watch while their favourite bikini streamer is offline.

It’s not a surprise it’s popular. Is it any good? I honestly don’t think it matters. We’re a month removed from The Day Before, we know Gamers™️ will latch onto weird poo poo for weird reasons, and at least Palworld meets the bar of being a functional product that isn’t an obvious scam.

Okay so is it a meme game or no

This makes it sound like a meme game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

it is not a meme game - though it was advertised with memes - but it may not be a good game to support

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
It's a meme game.
Meme games can be both competently made and fun to play.

Anyway there's a 2D ARPG set to go into EA this quarter
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2395770/never_grave_the_witch_and_the_curse/

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

D.Fuzzbot posted:

It's a meme game.
Meme games can be both competently made and fun to play.

Anyway there's a 2D ARPG set to go into EA this quarter
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2395770/never_grave_the_witch_and_the_curse/

Lol, follow up the success of your actionably pokemon/rust game with an actionably hollow knight game.

Tbh its worse to me to imagine that such blatantly ripped assets were created by hand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

if you think that's a hollow knight knock-off you've seen nothing yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8HUELoNayE