Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Hollywood Reporter has some news on the Daredevil: Born Again revamp:

- It's not 18 episodes anymore. Final episode count is unconfirmed, but likely to be 10-13 in line with the original Netflix runs.

- Karen and Foggy are back.

- The fight and stunt choreographer from the original Netflix Daredevil has been brought in to run the fight and stunt work for Born Again.

- Kevin Feige directly overseeing the revamp and most of the stand-alone courtroom procedural parts have been cut in favor of a more overarching narrative.

- Feige wants the show to be more like the Netflix version compared to other D+ shows: Darker, grittier, character driven, much less CGI (and therefore cheaper).

- They also want future D+ shows to follow this format (street-level heroes, darker, and much less CGI/cheaper) and plan to green light shows that will introduce more street-level characters.

- Echo was very successful and they are looking for new projects to bring Maya back on (no plans for an Echo season 2 right now, though).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/daredevil-born-again-resumes-filming-echo-1235793539/

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 20, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

quote:

Kevin Feige directly overseeing the revamp and most of the stand-alone courtroom procedural parts have been cut in favor of a more overarching narrative.

boooooooooooo

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Nybble posted:

boooooooooooo

There's still going to be courtroom procedural stuff, but that was the major focus of the original draft and they are pivoting away.

quote:

the retooling Born Again underwent as it was changed from a legal procedural to something that aims to harken back to the gritty and violent tone of that first well-regarded series.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I felt like I was seeing more promotion for Echo than I usually did for D+ shows, and it's good it did well. I still need to finish it, though.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Still not done with Echo, but heard they changed her powers, so does her name not make sense anymore.
heard it’s like a lesser version of Taskmasters “photographic reflexes” or the same thing, in which case Echo makes sense, but if she doesn’t have that, does her powers still align with the name?

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...

GateOfD posted:

Still not done with Echo, but heard they changed her powers, so does her name not make sense anymore.
heard it’s like a lesser version of Taskmasters “photographic reflexes” or the same thing, in which case Echo makes sense, but if she doesn’t have that, does her powers still align with the name?

From what I gather, she knowns and can do all of the things her ancestors did, so they "echo" though her.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

GateOfD posted:

Yes, they explain generally what is going on and make use of the term several times. Just keep watching.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Echo was very successful?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Kevin Feige directly overseeing the revamp and most of the stand-alone courtroom procedural parts have been cut in favor of a more overarching narrative.

Anything that gives us less Foggy is good

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

apatheticman posted:

1)A metric that a lot of streamers are looking at now is total minutes streamed and if you drop like 300 minutes worth of a show in one shot it’ll probably do well in that regard, and
2)It dropped on both Disney+ and Hulu

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I guess that means Maya isn't in Born Again?

Also more Street Level heroes? Adapt Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

I guess that means Maya isn't in Born Again?

Also more Street Level heroes? Adapt Patsy Walker AKA Hellcat.

But just do it based on the 1950s romance comics.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Undead Hippo posted:

I have been saying this unironically. Doing a romcom movie or a short series and playing it straight would get a lot of “Marvel Studios does a non-superhero movie??” press and if it’s actually good so much the better.

And then you have your romcom hero show up in a sick Hellcat costume in Endgame 2: 2 End 2 Game

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Isn't that just She-Hulk?

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

apatheticman posted:

Also probably doubly so because they would compare the views vs the budget so it probably looks great compared to secret invasion or she hulk

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Undead Hippo posted:

Thinking more of Kate Leth's run, which would have very low SFX budget and mostly Patsy trying to be a 20 year old at 30.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
The MCU hosed around and broke the seal on cowboy poo poo. I want to see the Two-Gun Kid shooting a T-Rex and poo poo!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

gently caress you. :mad:

GODS! Do these people not get that courtroom drama can be just as loving exciting as punching? And it's a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

- Feige wants the show to be more like the Netflix version compared to other D+ shows: Darker, grittier, character driven, much less CGI (and therefore cheaper).

- They also want future D+ shows to follow this format (street-level heroes, darker, and much less CGI/cheaper) and plan to green light shows that will introduce more street-level characters.

It only took them 9 years to figure this out.

And while She-Hulk litigating superhero related crimes is interesting, Daredevil doing just regular crimes is not. Feige made the right call.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

LividLiquid posted:

GODS! Do these people not get that courtroom drama can be just as loving exciting as punching? And it's a hell of a lot cheaper to shoot?

I absolutely do not trust Marvel to hire experienced TV writers who cut their teeth doing police or lawyer procedurals so I’m fine with them cutting things like this out.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Oasx posted:

Anything that gives us less Foggy is good

What

the

gently caress?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

LividLiquid posted:

Spending $200 million on CGI produces tangible results in a way that spending $5 million on writers does not.

Which is the only thing execs care about.

:sigh:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LividLiquid posted:

okay but how can we get a skybeam into the finale?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Baller Ina posted:

What

the

gently caress?

I mostly remember him turning into a giant rear end in a top hat once he learned that Matt had a radar sense, other than that he was mostly the annoying and goofy side-kick

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The whole point of the MCU is superheroes. If you want a lawyer show or a doctor show or whatever there are dozens of other better examples that don't involve people in costumes with superpowers.

Somebody pointed out that the interesting thing about She Hulk courtroom scenes was that the clients had superpowers not that their lawyer did.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Harvey Birdman will never be surpassed, but I’d love to see them try

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Better Call Saul, but with Marvel guys

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seldom Posts posted:

The whole point of the MCU is superheroes. If you want a lawyer show or a doctor show or whatever there are dozens of other better examples that don't involve people in costumes with superpowers.
I don't agree with any of this.

The whole point of the MCU is variety. Ant Man was a heist movie. Winter Soldier was a spy thriller. We have street level heroes and god tier heroes.

One of the biggest strengths of Marvel, and how it differed from DC, is that they were, by and large, about the lives of those superheroes outside of superheroism. Spiderman was all about Peter Parker struggling to make his real life work.

Matt Murdoch being a lawyer shouldn't be window dressing. It shouldn't be some barely touched-upon aspect of his character. It should be his character. He's a superhero and a lawyer. He's the walking embodiment of justice, right down to being loving blind.

We have like 50 other superheroes. If all they ever did was punch and shoot lasers, this poo poo would be boring as gently caress.

King Of Coons
May 5, 2006
the children yearn for courtroom drama and legal proceedings

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I don't agree with any of this.

The whole point of the MCU is variety. Ant Man was a heist movie. Winter Soldier was a spy thriller. We have street level heroes and god tier heroes.

One of the biggest strengths of Marvel, and how it differed from DC, is that they were, by and large, about the lives of those superheroes outside of superheroism. Spiderman was all about Peter Parker struggling to make his real life work.

Matt Murdoch being a lawyer shouldn't be window dressing. It shouldn't be some barely touched-upon aspect of his character. It should be his character. He's a superhero and a lawyer. He's the walking embodiment of justice, right down to being loving blind.

We have like 50 other superheroes. If all they ever did was punch and shoot lasers, this poo poo would be boring as gently caress.

Sure, but it specifically said "stand alone" procedurals. Give him one overarching case for the entire season (RIP Coolio) that he can investigate as Daredevil but we don't need 18 different Law and Order-style episodes.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

live with fruit posted:

Sure, but it specifically said "stand alone" procedurals. Give him one overarching case for the entire season (RIP Coolio) that he can investigate as Daredevil but we don't need 18 different Law and Order-style episodes.
Who said that's what I wanted?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Who said that's what I wanted?

Well, what do you want?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

For Daredevil to do lawyer poo poo and for that to get at least, say, I don't know, 35% of the focus that his superheroism does.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Nybble posted:

Harvey Birdman will never be surpassed, but I’d love to see them try

I personally think that She Hulk could have done a decent job at that. My favourite episode is still when she goes to the retreat of the B tier (I’m probably being way over generous here) super villains.

As far as Daredevil goes - I know it’s not that exciting and kinda cliche but I’d love to see him occasionally realise punching goons isn’t always as effective as effective as being a good lawyer. It’s weird as I don’t have that much faith in any real life legal system but it would be nice to see Matt Murdock realise the system can still work. Again this is weird me saying this as it does NOT meet any of my real world feelings.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

DogsInSpace! posted:

As far as Daredevil goes - I know it’s not that exciting and kinda cliche but I’d love to see him occasionally realise punching goons isn’t always as effective as effective as being a good lawyer. It’s weird as I don’t have that much faith in any real life legal system but it would be nice to see Matt Murdock realise the system can still work. Again this is weird me saying this as it does NOT meet any of my real world feelings.

Especially since he knows henchmen are the real problem.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

live with fruit posted:

Especially since he knows henchmen are the real problem.
Wait. What?

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Wait. What?

Henchmen believe in the cause whereas goons are just there for the paycheck.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
A typical Daredevil comic plot is that he becomes aware of some type of wrong via his lawyer job that can't be addressed through the justice system and so he goes vigilante.

So just like he's a Catholic who likes to dress up like the devil, he's a lawyer who likes to operate outside the justice system. The man is heavily conflicted.

That, in my view is all that makes the character interesting. I don't think you need to get deep into the courtroom stuff to develop that side of it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

live with fruit posted:

Henchmen believe in the cause whereas goons are just there for the paycheck.
Oh, right! I loved that bit in She-Hulk.

He was so great on that show. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Seldom Posts posted:

That, in my view is all that makes the character interesting. I don't think you need to get deep into the courtroom stuff to develop that side of it.
Define "get deep?"