Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah I'm originally from the UK and moved here about 12 years ago. Recently went back there for 6 months (for partners mat leave) and the decline since I left was staggering and immediately obvious as soon as you had any sort of contact with the healthcare system. The GP which used to routinely give me same day appointments when I was a kid was weeks booked out. Also private healthcare ads were everywhere. Australians as a whole have no idea how much further there is to fall.

I sincerely think that allowing bulk billing to basically vanish overnight is one of the worst things that's happened to Australian society this century, but I'd still take Australia's healthcare system over what the UK's was like when I lived there 10 years ago (let alone what I imagine it's like now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
well it hasn't vanished overnight, it's been a slow decline over the past decade

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I had no idea the high court struck down the ev tax in Vic wtf

Like I get maybe we should incentivise EVs over petrol vehicles but like, don't state gov offset a lot of road maintenance via petrol excise or is that just Qld?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I had no idea the high court struck down the ev tax in Vic wtf

Like I get maybe we should incentivise EVs over petrol vehicles but like, don't state gov offset a lot of road maintenance via petrol excise or is that just Qld?

Charging excises are reserved exclusively for the commonwealth under the constitution. The argument was around whether the ev tax counted as an excise, in which case it would be unconstitutional.

The current fuel excise is collected by the commonwealth and distributed to states.

I’m not sure how you would end up escaping the idea that things like the container deposit schemes now adopted in each jurisdiction (except tas I think, but they have a commitment to do so) are also excises.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

I swear I remember Qld gov collecting a fuel excise that wasn't applied in NSW at some point BC when I was living on the border people would complain they had to drive across the border for cheaper fuel, am I just delusional?

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I swear I remember Qld gov collecting a fuel excise that wasn't applied in NSW at some point BC when I was living on the border people would complain they had to drive across the border for cheaper fuel, am I just delusional?

There was a court case challenge on state fuel excises and if I remember correctly, retrospective legislation was passed (by Howard?) to cutsie pie make it that it was the Feds collecting it, not the States.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Yeah the wider state fund raising implications of the ev tax thing are a bit of a mess but the whole thing was absurdly rushed and poorly considered by the vic gov. It was definitely going to massively undermine ev adoption in regional areas which is already poor due to some massive misunderstandings about the technology (they're actually best suited to country driving imo, despite people thinking of them as 'city cars'). I was due to get a $1400 annual bill for it which is definitely not a trivial amount in the current environment. I absolutely get that we need to disincentivise urban car use and congestion in the city etc but we have zero other options living a 50km round trip to the nearest shop and childcare centre.

Apparently I'm a rich ev owner and can afford it though, even though if I was rich we'd probably live closer to town and wouldn't have to drive 50k km per year with no alternative.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I think it was the other way around, fuel was cheaper in QLD until sometime in the early 2000s.

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Tomberforce posted:

Yeah the wider state fund raising implications of the ev tax thing are a bit of a mess but the whole thing was absurdly rushed and poorly considered by the vic gov. It was definitely going to massively undermine ev adoption in regional areas which is already poor due to some massive misunderstandings about the technology (they're actually best suited to country driving imo, despite people thinking of them as 'city cars'). I was due to get a $1400 annual bill for it which is definitely not a trivial amount in the current environment. I absolutely get that we need to disincentivise urban car use and congestion in the city etc but we have zero other options living a 50km round trip to the nearest shop and childcare centre.

Apparently I'm a rich ev owner and can afford it though, even though if I was rich we'd probably live closer to town and wouldn't have to drive 50k km per year with no alternative.

The reason city driving suits EV car is the low average speeds and stop start nature in the city. Both of which suit EV as they don't have an ongoing fuel consumption just from being on separate from actually providing momentum. EV batteries are happier providing a dribble of power and start consuming more per km the hotter the battery gets, either through high speed or no rest periods.

But yes, if you are rural but by that you mean your daily km will not exceed the range of your EV, then overnight charging and daily use should save you (money and time going to the servo) compared to an ICE. If by rural you head 250 km or so each way once a week or routinely bust out 500 km journeys, then an EV would suck in rural Australia relative to ICE vehicles.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

RIP the treaty process in Victoria - it’ll absolutely die without bipartisan support.

Again, thank you to those brave progressive no voters for emboldening the racist right :patriot:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Recoome posted:

RIP the treaty process in Victoria - it’ll absolutely die without bipartisan support.

Again, thank you to those brave progressive no voters for emboldening the racist right :patriot:

Yep. As much as the Libs are an afterthought in Vic this will empower spotfires at every step along the way and at some point Labor will get sick of dealing with fuckwit journalists and racist landowners and councils.

On the plus side I now get to laugh at some people that insisted to me that pesutto would return the Libs to centre right rather than rolling over for the wing nuts.

Who can say whether treaty or smug I told you so-ing is more important in the grand scheme of things.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

It should be acknowledged that this is absolutely a national phenomenon and not purely Victorian. It’s actually more surprising that it’s taken so long for the Vic Libs to come out and say this.

It can, and will, get so much worse before we get back to even where we were before the referendum. What a mess.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Recoome posted:

thank you, finally the recognition i deserve i did not vote no

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Guardian AU posted:

The New South Wales premier, Chris Minns, has defended Australia Day and said everyone needs to “come together” for it.

Speaking on 2GB this morning, Minns also urged the organisers of sporting events happening on Friday to recognise the day.

He said:

"This is a day for us all to celebrate with your family and friends and recognise that we live in the greatest country on Earth. I definitely will be doing that. Both cricket and tennis should revisit this decision … This is a day that we need to come together as a nation for."

Asked if he thought the date would be changed, he said:

"I’m not anticipating that in the short run but the idea that you would take a national day away from any country, particularly Australia, is a strange one. We should be right now trying to pull each other together. This is the day that we’ve set aside to celebrate what it means to live in the greatest country on earth."

Oh "come together" this is a day for "everyone to celebrate" gently caress you.

gently caress I hate this implied divisiveness poo poo, where if people aren't happy with something being poo poo, oh you're just letting the team down. Plus gently caress the greatest country on earth rhetoric eat poo poo Minns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Tennis telling Aus day to gently caress off galvanises my enjoyment of tennis.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

hooman posted:

gently caress I hate this implied divisiveness poo poo, where if people aren't happy with something being poo poo, oh you're just letting the team down. Plus gently caress the greatest country on earth rhetoric eat poo poo Minns.

I forget that this joker isn’t Dom Perignon or whatever that forgettable white guy was who took over from Gladys.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
we have to pull each other, so that we come together

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
change the 26th to national orgy day

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Submarine Day

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Labor is so incredibly poo poo, they will lose the next Fed election as they are just diet brand Libs who want to be in opposition permanently.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They're having a meeting about cost of living it's ok they're on it

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Non Compos Mentis posted:

change the 26th to national orgy day

Great, now I'm excluded.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Stage 3 dead

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Anidav posted:

Stage 3 dead

Labors backflip on an election promise.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Recoome posted:

The referendum was poo poo and vague, the terms under which it was set were poo poo and vague, and the people responsible for it were poo poo and vague.

The regressives will continue to be racist no matter what; nothing that you or I say or do is going to make them any less racist, and passing the shambles of a referendum that we had wouldn't have made them any less bold than they were before.

Stop crying.

hooman posted:

I don't give a poo poo. Change the date, don't change the date. I just want my country to have a national day to be celebrated on, and I will celebrate that day on whatever day that happens to be, with some grilled roo burgers and alcopops and no cheap Chinese-made merchandise.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Anidav posted:

Stage 3 dead

no they're just doing minor tweaks so the gigantic revenue hole is still there but everyone except those earning over $180k get a little bit more than they would otherwise. breaking the promise but not even fixing the fundamental problems

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Hopefully they tweak it so I get more money.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

GrandTheftAutism posted:

The referendum was poo poo and vague, the terms under which it was set were poo poo and vague, and the people responsible for it were poo poo and vague.

The regressives will continue to be racist no matter what; nothing that you or I say or do is going to make them any less racist, and passing the shambles of a referendum that we had wouldn't have made them any less bold than they were before.

Stop crying.

I don't give a poo poo. Change the date, don't change the date. I just want my country to have a national day to be celebrated on, and I will celebrate that day on whatever day that happens to be, with some grilled roo burgers and alcopops and no cheap Chinese-made merchandise.

You should give a poo poo, because the current day is celebrating the start of the horrific oppression of the people who lived here.

If you want a day for *everyone* to celebrate, then you should support changing the date.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Changing the day to May 8 is the best idea ever and should occur.

Unless something horrible happened on May 8th in Australia.

I haven't checked.

Mayeight

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Changing it to may 8 would be the single most embarassing thing this country has ever done. It's the kind of thing people who wrote their religion as Jedi on the census would do

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Anidav posted:

Changing the day to May 8 is the best idea ever and should occur.

Unless something horrible happened on May 8th in Australia.

I haven't checked.

Mayeight

Depends if you are german or not i guess.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Stop crying.

Lol imagine self identifying as a progressive and farting out whatever this is.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Changing it to may 8 would be the single most embarassing thing this country has ever done. It's the kind of thing people who wrote their religion as Jedi on the census would do

The silent majority

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

What are you talking about, there literally have been worse ideas carried out in this country.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

I want to change it to somewhere in June or July because there are gently caress all public holidays around then and moving one from jan to june would spread it out a bit more.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
add an additional public holiday to june/july

preferably two

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
While we're chopping and changing stuff involving our national identity, can we buy the rights to "We Are Australian" by The Seekers and make that our new national anthem?

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

It's gotta be in summer. Changing the date is a hard enough sell without taking away an opportunity to day drink in the sun.

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

it's not so much the date as whether or not we should celebrate the foundation of "australia" as it is currently known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

an egg posted:

it's not so much the date as whether or not we should celebrate the foundation of "australia" as it is currently known

abolish australia and celebrate australian abolishment day in summer