Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I have had this lil stuffed G since I can remember. I am about to turn 50, so let's say at least 45 years.

I went to the ER a couple months ago and the problem turned out to be bad enough that they said I'd be admitted for a few days. Called my husband and asked him to pack some stuff for me. Along with the clothes and phone charger and whatnot, he sweetly surprised me by packing Lil G so I wouldn't have to sleep alone.

I had some nurses thinking it was cute, and some giving me the side-eye for being a 50 yo lady with a stuffed Godzilla sharing the bed. gently caress the haters, bring your G with you when you need his support.

this rules and i hope your Godzilla-aided recovery was speedy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

announce a bluray toho

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I have had this lil stuffed G since I can remember. I am about to turn 50, so let's say at least 45 years.

I went to the ER a couple months ago and the problem turned out to be bad enough that they said I'd be admitted for a few days. Called my husband and asked him to pack some stuff for me. Along with the clothes and phone charger and whatnot, he sweetly surprised me by packing Lil G so I wouldn't have to sleep alone.

I had some nurses thinking it was cute, and some giving me the side-eye for being a 50 yo lady with a stuffed Godzilla sharing the bed. gently caress the haters, bring your G with you when you need his support.

It's funny you say that, my wife was in the ER last week and she's been going through a squishmallow fixation, so I picked up their Godzilla for her on my way over

Hope you're doing ok now!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

site posted:

announce a bluray toho

The only reason I resent this black and white release and general success of the movie is that I have a probably unfounded fear that it’s keeping the home release back.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

We move one step closer to Cozzilla Minus One

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

We move one step closer to Cozzilla Minus One

oh man someone should do this. is Luigi Cozzi still alive?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

oh man someone should do this. is Luigi Cozzi still alive?

As far as I know, him and Dario Argento are still hanging around and running a used bookstore in Rome

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Asterite34 posted:

As far as I know, him and Dario Argento are still hanging around and running a used bookstore in Rome

god that rules

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Detective No. 27 posted:

The only reason I resent this black and white release and general success of the movie is that I have a probably unfounded fear that it’s keeping the home release back.

It's unfounded. At this point There hasn't been an announcement in Japan for home video yet. They usually take a LONG time to put out disks so it might not even be until December or next Springtime tbh.

Hell, there still isn't a Shin Kamen Rider blu ray out.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That’s weird, I feel like Shin Ultraman came out pretty quick on blu

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Shin Kamen Rider is streaming at least.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s weird, I feel like Shin Ultraman came out pretty quick on blu

Usually in Japan it takes around 8 months or so for releases. I mean I'm hoping that Minus 1 comes sooner, but who knows. It was around 9 months for Shin Godzilla to be released on disk in Japan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Minus One is back at my local theater next week you know I'm gonna go rewatch it.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Arc Hammer posted:

Minus One is back at my local theater next week you know I'm gonna go rewatch it.

Huh, I just checked if there's any sessions at all here in Australia and there's a few cinemas which are still showing it. They're all a long long way away from me though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Asterite34 posted:

Going to need some elaboration on this.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/titangoji/status/1747804686709575854?t=YB0FP81OmVqW4yaSn5XyAw&s=19

Now I wish I could see the minus color version but I doubt it's coming to Ottawa. It's not just a desaturated cut.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh no, am i gonna see this a third time

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I've already seen it three times but I'll go if my local IMAX gets it. Never got to make it to an IMAX screening

Dangerous Person fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 18, 2024

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Going to need some elaboration on this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profondo_Rosso_(store)

Cozzi co-owns the place and sells a bunch of his books there, likes to hang around in the afternoon and chitchat about cinema

The basement has a spooky horror movie memorabilia museum!

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 18, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Need to win the Lottery so I can go to that store.

I've actually met Dario once, made him sign my prosthetic leg, man barely speaks a word of English and my Italian isn't conversational so we didn't have a very fruitful discussion. Mostly just nods.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/titangoji/status/1747804686709575854?t=YB0FP81OmVqW4yaSn5XyAw&s=19

Now I wish I could see the minus color version but I doubt it's coming to Ottawa. It's not just a desaturated cut.

This looks fantastic, I'm very hyped. Looks like at least one local place is gonna be showing it for at least a week, so I'll definitely be seeing it again

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Alas, not showing near me. Closest is 50mi away :v:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/LoaphMeat/status/1748004682100826211?t=EQrmOmOsg8Hce6ZPehCWgg&s=19

Auugh my eyes

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

That is absolutely :cursed:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Convinced my mom and stepdad to go see Minus One. My stepdad is a casual fan, but my mom has pretty much hated the movies - the Japanese ones because she hates subtitles and thinks the suits are cheesy, and the American ones because she lumps them in with marvel movies in terms of being CGI heavy action movies.

But, I convinced her to come along, and she ended up loving it! She said she had no trouble following the subtitles, and she enjoyed the story!

All in all, the only way it could have been better would be if we'd been able to find an IMAX showing nearby.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, watched Godzilla '85.

There are just four movies where Godzilla is the only giant monster. ("Just". Like that's not a pretty decent number of films itself). The original, of course, the classic. Shin, the movie that smashed all records in Japan, bringing Godzilla back to glory in his homeland after the failure of Final Wars. Minus One, which is drawing raves across the pacific...

And Godzilla 1984. Which exists.

Okay, that's unfair. Godzilla 1984 was another big comeback, the start of the wildly successful Heisei era, and a reasonably successful film in its own right, even if it made less than Toho was hoping, and there's something to be said for the back to basics approach. It's just... it only has the back to basics approach, and even then they had some gaps. Where Shin and Minus One got real mileage from presenting the difficulties of fighting Godzilla with "realistic" technologies (Anno even interviewed JSDF personnel to get their takes on how they'd approach the situation with their real limitations.), 1984 has a flying laser-tank to fight Godzilla with no particular effort to justify its presence. There's just sci-fi supertech in Heisei, and we have to deal with it. Helpful for the later crazier films, but less helpful for the return to the start the film aimed to be.

More importantly, though, there's another big difference between 1984 and the other three solo outings, a part of why they're the big three, while it's an also-ran, and that's the characters. Without a giant monster to fight him, Godzilla is opposed by the people of Japan, centered around our human leads. At least, that's the general gist, even in some of the monster mash pictures. The humans we care about are the ones who matter. (Even to an unreasonable degree, like Japan's defenses being coordinated by the hero kid's dad in Smog Monster because... he got attacked by Hedorah?)

Here, though, our heroes are mostly just bystanders. The reporter hero, his girlfriend, and her brother might be some of the first people to realize Godzilla's back, and they might consult with the professor whose ideas lead to Godzilla's defeat, but for the most part they're just bystanders, people who happen to be in the way when Godzilla is meandering around, before running into a comic relief vagrant who has a small but pointless subplot, and then running away to assist with the backup plan after the Super X runs out of ammo. They don't feel like an opposing force to Godzilla, people forced to confront a power they cannot control in almost doomed but heroic struggle. Instead, they just... exist, while the fate of the world is determined by the politicians and soldiers who the film gives much less focus and characterization.

Apparently, the film was a bit of a flop with Godzilla fans in Japan when it was released, leading to the writing contest for Biolante, which failed worse, leading to King Ghidorah and the path that Heisei took to success. But that's all trivia now, a bit of interesting memory about a less interesting film. Returns did a lot of good for Godzilla, looking back. But on its own, it's the weakest of the solo films by far (not counting Emmerich, of course), and doesn't do much that some other film didn't do better.

I want to say more here than "so it goes". I want to have some grand unified vision becoming clearer and clearer as I see more of the series. But no. I'm still about where I was when I started the year. Godzilla films can be very good, very bad, and very bad in a good way, but for most of them, they're just something you kinda throw on TV and half forget. It's a strange place to be, both having my childhood love validated more thoroughly than I ever expected (both in seeing more really good Godzilla films, and in seeing Vs. King Ghidorah live up to the best childhood visions of its idiotic glory), and being reminded that there were very good reasons most Godzilla films got so little respect.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
The only thing I remember from that movie is the haunting cry of Godzilla falling into the volcano.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Every Heisei movie should've ended with the monster getting tricked to fall in a pit.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The first time I saw anything about Godzilla 84 is when I took my first trip to Japan in September of that year. I went to a movie and the trailer for it came up. Everyone in the theater started talking to each other somewhat excitedly after the trailer ended. People were really interested that the Big G was coming back.

I finally got to see it in 1985, Dr. Pepper and all. What an odd film. Definitely a reflection of its era though.

Edit: got my ticket for Godzilla -1/C :c00l:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gripweed posted:

Every Heisei movie should've ended with the monster getting tricked to fall in a pit.

This would make a great backstory for the Monsterverse films.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

:woop: Minus color is coming to my small southeast US city!

I'm super excited to see just the film itself again, because I wasn't feeling well the day we first saw it. Got a splitting headache about 1/3 in, started feeling achy and couldn't get comfortable in my seat, got so lethargic I almost wanted to fall asleep during the quiet moments!

Yeah, turns out I had caught the COVID*. So not the best way to experience such a good film. Immensely looking forward to seeing it when I'm not thinking "oof, my head, I wish this wasn't so loud" (that's when I knew something was very, very wrong with my body).

Bring it on!!!

*There were maybe 6-8 other people in the theater at a 1:15 Wednesday matinee, so hopefully I didn't spread it to anyone.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Gripweed posted:

There's also the old anti-Gamera scheme where we trick it into falling into a huge spaceship so we can shoot it into space and leave it on Mars. It's the perfect plan, what could possible go wrong??

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I finally got to see it in 1985, Dr. Pepper and all. What an odd film. Definitely a reflection of its era though.

Dr. Pepper is my most clear memory of that film

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's also the old anti-Gamera scheme where we trick it into falling into a huge spaceship so we can shoot it into space and leave it on Mars. It's the perfect plan, what could possible go wrong??

nothing went wrong, that's why the showa gamera sequels are just people saying "remember when we launched that turtle into space" and going about their days

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

E: nvm

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

nothing went wrong, that's why the showa gamera sequels are just people saying "remember when we launched that turtle into space" and going about their days

The problem is all the children building rockets to visit Gamera on Mars, making it so that no-one else can get fuel for their cars to go to work.

It's the complicated ethical issue at the heart of the Gamera films.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Minus One got the VFX Oscar nomination.

:unsmith:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Miching Mallecho posted:

Minus One got the VFX Oscar nomination.

:unsmith:

Nothing else tho :smith:

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Not Best Foreign Film?! I doubt it'd win it, but I assumed it be nominated.

It could have justified a Best Screenplay/Script (whichever it is)and - again probably wouldn't win but could be nominated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Japan didn't put it up in the category (each country can only put up one film for nomination).

“Perfect Days,” was Japan's selection and it received a nomination.