Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
well given that the tatas got their start selling opium to the qing before reinvesting that in poo poo in bombay mills its darkly funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Livo
Dec 31, 2023
Regarding stupid political choices & the military consequences of these choices...

During the tender process for the new Constellation frigate design, quite a bit of political support was thrown at the Fincantieri shipyard in Wisconsin, who pitched a modified version of the European FREMM frigate. They eventually won the contract, beating out other naval designs in shipyards located elsewhere. The winning Fincantieri design grossly underestimated the cost & time needed to implement US specific features to this design, causing lengthy delays, recalculations and further changes.

It was just announced that the Constellation class ASW (anti-submarine warfare) frigate has been delayed again. Of particular note is that this ASW frigate does NOT have a bow mounted sonar to detect subs, despite the original FREMM design having one, since most ASW ships have had one for decades. Towed array sonars & helicopters with dipping sonars are great, but sub hunting ships do need a bow sonar for times where those aren't available or in a different location. Why this odd choice? The US Navy says on Page 12 of this Congressional report that it was removed due to stability issues. Several changes to the original design were also required, for example, such as putting up 32 VLS cells up front making it much heavier than the original FREMM class. Still, poor ship stability is a legitimate issue, plus the US Navy have always had very different approaches regarding crew sizes/design/survivability compared to other navies. Perhaps this removal was only reluctantly done after the multiple screw-ups by the builder?

Slight problem: the chosen shipyard is actually too shallow for the Constellation frigate to have a bow mounted sonar, since the fairly shallow water level at the shipyard & the Saint Lawrence waterway would mean it literally cannot fit unless you change the design to not have a sonar at all. Whoops! Turns out that if you buy votes for government contracts and neglect investing in your shipyards for decades, you end up with idiotic decisions like this.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I'm screaming internally

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

that’s so cool

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Ahahaha the sub hunter can't hunt subs

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

SixteenShells posted:

Ahahaha the sub hunter can't hunt subs

Maybe you could fix the sonar to the top and then do barrel rolls?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Wow. Wow.

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

There’s no better system than the free market baby

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

don't worry, they added more missile tubes, so it can strike land targets better.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

mlmp08 posted:

Those truck proportions make them look deceptively small. Still, very small compared to a ship or the army tomahawk launcher trailers they're building.

if its that big why doesnt it have a roof and driver in a more forward position?

similar to this cabin design

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

You can tell marines influenced the design because “they should be outside. suck it the gently caress up. situational awareness”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Megamissen posted:

if its that big why doesnt it have a roof and driver in a more forward position?

The marines have basically designed them to be moved around at walking speed or something by a guy with a joystick in tight quarters or driven remotely at normal truck speeds and then it can be left in a hide sight or firing point with the people hiding farther away (so as to not die if it gets bombed preemptively or after it fires or be less noticeable if hidden away than if there are people living and working in the area daily). Similar employment with the marines' anti-ship cruise missile trucks.

The army version below of putting tomahawks and other surface-to-surface capable missiles on ground-mobile launchers is more conventional, with tractors pulling mobile erector-launchers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Livo posted:

Regarding stupid political choices & the military consequences of these choices...

During the tender process for the new Constellation frigate design, quite a bit of political support was thrown at the Fincantieri shipyard in Wisconsin, who pitched a modified version of the European FREMM frigate. They eventually won the contract, beating out other naval designs in shipyards located elsewhere. The winning Fincantieri design grossly underestimated the cost & time needed to implement US specific features to this design, causing lengthy delays, recalculations and further changes.

It was just announced that the Constellation class ASW (anti-submarine warfare) frigate has been delayed again. Of particular note is that this ASW frigate does NOT have a bow mounted sonar to detect subs, despite the original FREMM design having one, since most ASW ships have had one for decades. Towed array sonars & helicopters with dipping sonars are great, but sub hunting ships do need a bow sonar for times where those aren't available or in a different location. Why this odd choice? The US Navy says on Page 12 of this Congressional report that it was removed due to stability issues. Several changes to the original design were also required, for example, such as putting up 32 VLS cells up front making it much heavier than the original FREMM class. Still, poor ship stability is a legitimate issue, plus the US Navy have always had very different approaches regarding crew sizes/design/survivability compared to other navies. Perhaps this removal was only reluctantly done after the multiple screw-ups by the builder?

Slight problem: the chosen shipyard is actually too shallow for the Constellation frigate to have a bow mounted sonar, since the fairly shallow water level at the shipyard & the Saint Lawrence waterway would mean it literally cannot fit unless you change the design to not have a sonar at all. Whoops! Turns out that if you buy votes for government contracts and neglect investing in your shipyards for decades, you end up with idiotic decisions like this.

They should have kept the bow sonar and just removed all the superstructure to improve the stability. One flat deck, with an open air helm.

I kind of wish they built the frigates in a shipyard that whoops turns out its in a landlocked lake and they can't sail to the ocean.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Livo posted:

the Fincantieri shipyard in Wisconsin,

Lol at all these American shipyards not on the ocean.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Weka posted:

Well you don't want the hulls dissolving until after the customer takes delivery.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Megamissen posted:

theyre drones lol

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

if they are going all in on tomahawks you’d think they would want to make more than a handful a year. Who needs munitions stockpiles I guess

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

FuzzySlippers posted:

if they are going all in on tomahawks you’d think they would want to make more than a handful a year. Who needs munitions stockpiles I guess

Number hates any kind of stockpile. If they could convince everyone, they'd sell fires as a service.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Weka posted:

Had to get rid ofnall of them to break unions and so they could be redeveloped into luxury malls and condos the best economic engine

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Looks like another missile/ drone attack on a us base in Iraq and there are some injuries, so far they're only admitting TBIs

Good thing all those soldiers are there getting hit by missiles so that they can *checks notes* get demanded to leave by the Iraqi government

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Cuba let's the US have a whole torture base, idk why Iraq has to be so whiny about everything

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Livo posted:

Fincantieri shipyard in Wisconsin

uh

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jfc wtf happened to newport news shipbuilding

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

dead gay comedy forums posted:

jfc wtf happened to newport news shipbuilding

Competency crisis, ongoing, not localised.

Everything is second tier now.

Edit - this includes any decision makers on all levels.

DancingShade has issued a correction as of 08:07 on Jan 21, 2024

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

DancingShade posted:

so I had a 4 AM brain short circuit insight moment and I realized that I never actually went digging for a political economic evaluation from the actual information source material of financial capitalism - quarterly reports. Combed a bit and turns out newport news shipbuilding owner group has a investors page with the stuff and I present now a totally biased shitpost and visual commentary analysis

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

dead gay comedy forums posted:

so I had a 4 AM brain short circuit insight moment and I realized that I never actually went digging for a political economic evaluation from the actual information source material of financial capitalism - quarterly reports. Combed a bit and turns out newport news shipbuilding owner group has a investors page with the stuff and I present now a totally biased shitpost and visual commentary analysis

modernization of the zumwalt? it's practically brand new

USS Zumwalt

en.m.wikipedia.org posted:

USS Zumwalt (DDG-1000) is a guided missile destroyer of the United States Navy. She is the lead ship of the Zumwalt class and the first ship to be named after Admiral Elmo Zumwalt.[10][11] Zumwalt has stealth capabilities, having a radar cross-section similar to a fishing boat despite her large size.[12] On 7 December 2015, Zumwalt began her sea trial preparatory to joining the Pacific Fleet.[13] The ship was commissioned in Baltimore on 15 October 2016.[1] Her home port is San Diego, California.[14]

e: lol

quote:

On August 1, 2023, Zumwalt got underway to her new homeport in Ingalls Shipbuilding in Pascagoula, Mississippi for a modernization period and receive technology upgrades. [44]

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

holy loving poo poo why did I have that idea

I opened up Rheinmetall's and I am howling here LMAO

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when all that sort of stuff was highly classified and almost impossible to find out? Yeah now we just publish it as part of investor information.

I take it you looked at the Norway paragraph in the Rhinemetal report then scrolled down to the Ukraine one. Yeah. Don't worry, almost nobody reads that stuff. Almost nobody.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

DancingShade posted:

Remember when all that sort of stuff was highly classified and almost impossible to find out? Yeah now we just publish it as part of investor information.

what am i hiding in my invisible hand

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

FirstnameLastname posted:

what am i hiding in my invisible hand

More information than Janes. That publication is only good for looking up the theoretical on-paper military forces of deeply impoverished nations and having a smug superior feeling chortle.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
keep having moments of realization hit me at just how much this country is choosing to ride on "i dunno -- we will figure it out later, when it's a REAL problem. until then, we ignore everything lol. no worries"

that quote about great men planting trees they'll never be shaded by but promising boats with fricken lasers and delivering boats with no guns

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

DancingShade posted:

lol
Remarks by President Biden at the U.S. Conference of Mayors Winter Meeting | The White House

www.whitehouse.gov - Fri, 19 Jan 2024 posted:

And I’m ki- — I’ve never been more optimistic in my whole life about the prospects for America, relative to every other nation in the world.  You know all the talk — I’m supposedly an expert on foreign policy because I’ve been doing it so much.  Well, let me tell you, remember everybody said China is going to eat us alive?  Give me a break.  (Laughter.) 

China has got more problems than, as my dad used to say, Carter has little liver pills.  (Laughter.)  I don’t want them to do badly, but I don’t — I want them to play fairly. 

We’re just — we’re more — look where Russia is.  Russia has lost 300,000 forces.  I mean, we are now, if we don’t lose our footing, in the most powerful position we’ve been since the end of World War Two.  We had that post-war period where we knew exactly what we were talking about. 

But now — think about it — if we’re able to maintain support for Ukraine so they don’t fall, as Henry Kissin- — Henry Kissinger called me — asked me to call him about three weeks before he died.  And I was a young senator when he was the Secretary of State, so we had our run-ins and our agreements and disagreements.  And he said, in one part of the conversation was — when I called, he said, “You know, not since Napoleon — not says Napoleon in France has Europe looked at Russia without fear until now.”

If we walk away — if we walk away and Russia is able to sustain their onslaught and bring down Ukraine, what do you think is going to happen in the Balkan countries?  What do you think is going to happen from Poland to Hungary and Orbán?  I mean, seriously, think about it.  It changes the dynamic, magnifi- —

I won’t get on this — I’m not supposed to be talking about this, but same thing with regard to Israel.  Israel has to — has to taper this off.  There’s ways to put this together.  We’re in a position where we’re unable to — I think one of the reasons the Houthi — I can’t prove this — one of the reasons the — the — Hamas did what they did was I was about to work out a deal with Saudi Arabia, wanting to normalize relations.  I mean, fully normalize relations with Israel and bring along six other Arab nations to change the dynamic in the region.

Some of you attended the G20 and — the 20 largest cont- — the 20 heads of states from the major countries of the world.  I got a resolution passed.  Everybody thought I was nuts.  Said that we’re going to build a railroad from Riyadh all the way to England, going underwater — not with the railroad, but a pipeline through — it’s going to go from Riyadh to Saudi Arabia to Jordan to Israel to so on and so forth.

Why?  Because everybody understands their interest is better — better met when they had this inter- — this interconnection economically.

Well, guess what?  We had to remember — I’m going on too long.  I apologize.  But — (laughter) — we have to remember — I mean this from the bottom of my heart — we’ve got to remember who the hell we are.  We are the United States of America.  There is nothing beyond our capacity — nothing, nothing, nothing — when we’ve been — done it together.  Nothing.

We’re the only nation in the world — think about this — that’s come out of every crisis stronger than we went in — no other nation in the world has done — because we’ve worked together.  And the thing I love about you guys is you work together.

We’re going to get this done, folks. 

I want to now turn it over — (applause).

My grandfather — God bless you all.  Now I’m going to turn it over to Tom, who’s going — I’m going to take a few questions.

MR. PEREZ:  Thank you, Mr. President.  Can we give it up for Mr. President?  (Applause.)

AUDIENCE:  Four more years!  Four more years!  Four more years!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

lol and lmao

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

Video of the 'speech'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-oDLtFMnpo&t=1838s
Skip to 30:38 if it doesn't skip automatically.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

TeenageArchipelago posted:

Cuba let's the US have a whole torture base, idk why Iraq has to be so whiny about everything

hell, they let us keep it for free even though we keep sending them rent checks-- very nice of them

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DancingShade posted:

More information than Janes. That publication is only good for looking up the theoretical on-paper military forces of deeply impoverished nations and having a smug superior feeling chortle.

I have to read the international arms market reports prepared for investors.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mawarannahr posted:

modernization of the zumwalt? it's practically brand new

USS Zumwalt

e: lol

quote:

The lead ship is named Zumwalt for Admiral Elmo Zumwalt and carries the hull number DDG-1000. Originally, 32 ships were planned, with $9.6 billion research and development costs spread across the class. As costs overran estimates, the number was reduced to 24, then to 7, and finally to 3. This significantly increased the cost per ship to $4.24 billion ($7.5 billion including R&D costs),[1][17][18][2] well exceeding the per-unit cost of a nuclear-powered Virginia-class submarine ($2.688 billion). In July 2008, the Navy requested that Congress stop procuring Zumwalts and revert to building more Arleigh Burke destroyers. This final cut in procurement led to a dramatic per-unit cost increase that eventually triggered a Nunn–McCurdy Amendment breach.[19] In April 2016, the total program cost was $22.5 billion.[2][20][21]

:lmao: 22.5 big ones for three boats.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i know right? that's a baby grift right there shoulda gotten at least 50 billion per boat

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

DickParasite posted:

:lmao: 22.5 big ones for three boats.

but now they’ve done the R&D any future boats are going to be dirt cheap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, for china, that will fix the design flaws and actually produce the things for cheaper