Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

MakaVillian posted:

That was a real weird penalty to call in a playoff game

That was such a flop. Like Trent just shoved him away. Not his fault he's a huge rear end dude and some small rear end player tried to pick a fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Current forecast is a high of 74 and a very low chance of rain. I'm thinking that chance is because it is January and it is 7 days out. But I'll take warm and clear and a healthy Deebo, please.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

MakaVillian posted:

That was a real weird penalty to call in a playoff game

The official was also looking right at it so he saw the fact that the Packers player ran up and pushed Trent and Trent just gave it back. Just an insanely terrible call.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Game is at 330 PST next week, FYI.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lifespan posted:

The Seahawks are out :eightbux:
They are not in the NFCW :eightbux:
They did a solid for the Seahawks recently :eightbux:
They are not the Cowboys, Patriots, or Packers :eightbux:
They are fun to watch :eightbux:
The official bandwagon winner! Bills were my old bandwagon, but now I am all Lions. Lions beat the Ravens in the Super Bowl plz!

The Lions-Bills Super Bowl is, much like the 2016 World Series, either going to ruin us or snap things back to the main timeline. I'm not sure which, honestly.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

harperdc posted:

The Lions-Bills Super Bowl is, much like the 2016 World Series, either going to ruin us or snap things back to the main timeline. I'm not sure which, honestly.

I suspect this would also apply to a Niners-Bills Super Bowl.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I have no voice, and I must scream gently caress the Packers.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the game, ESPN had a really good panel this morning with Alex Smith and Randy Moss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPZD8JA0CLQ

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Jared Goff is going to clown that 49ers defense. They looked lost as hell for 95% of the game yesterday.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
Recency bias is wild. It’s a different team. It’s a different game and different day. Niners may be as bad or they may also be much better. We won’t know until they take the field.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Since this is also the apple thread, whoever posted the apple rankings made me go pick up some SweeTango apples at my local Kroger affiliate (Fred Meyer) and lemme tell ya, thems good apples.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Jared Goff is going to clown that 49ers defense.

Lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

DuhSal posted:

Recency bias is wild. It’s a different team. It’s a different game and different day. Niners may be as bad or they may also be much better. We won’t know until they take the field.

Lamar Jackson is the MVP because Purdy had one bad game even though he was much better through the rest of the year and Lamar wasn't even top 3 in his conference.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I would've rather the 49ers played the Bucs because I had no fear of them, but if the 49ers lose to the Lions I wouldn't mind seeing them in the Super Bowl

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Lamar Jackson is the MVP because Purdy had one bad game even though he was much better through the rest of the year and Lamar wasn't even top 3 in his conference.

Lol Purdy is great but he had at least 3-4 bad games, mostly around his concussion.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Gully Foyle posted:

Lol Purdy is great but he had at least 3-4 bad games, mostly around his concussion.

There are 17 games in the season. And over the 17 games Purdy was the best QB in the league. The statistics back this up, both traditional and analytical. My point was that until the one actual bad game against Baltimore, he was the MVP favorite. The recency bias in the NFL is kind of insane now. It wasn't this bad 10 years ago. But now it's week to week.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Gully Foyle posted:

Truth. Lamar legitimately deserves the MVP, if it's a QB award that can't go to CMC or Trent.

Waltzing Along posted:

There are 17 games in the season. And over the 17 games Purdy was the best QB in the league. The statistics back this up, both traditional and analytical. My point was that until the one actual bad game against Baltimore, he was the MVP favorite. The recency bias in the NFL is kind of insane now. It wasn't this bad 10 years ago. But now it's week to week.

Purdy had a great year, and hopefully will be even better next year and win it then. Lamar simply took over.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 22, 2024

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Coldforge posted:

Truth. Lamar legitimately deserves the MVP, if it's a QB award that can't go to CMC or Trent.

I'm all for splitting the MVP into 2 awards, one for QBs, one for all other positions.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Coldforge posted:

Purdy had a great year, and hopefully will be even better next year and win it then. Lamar simply took over.

You can't take over, though. It's a season award. Lamar was not the best QB in the AFC, let alone the NFL this year. The stats don't lie. Your comment is just subscribing to the recency bias narrative. By that metric, Jordan Love was the MVP because he was just a tad behind Purdy the 2nd half of the year. Oh, oops, even then Purdy was still the best in the league.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't really care about MVP at all.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Papercut posted:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Papercut posted:

hell they aint givin it to me. not my business.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Papercut posted:

I'll care if they give it to one of the true MVPs: Trent or CMC.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Papercut posted:

I care about Super Bowl MVP

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Waltzing Along posted:

You can't take over, though. It's a season award. Lamar was not the best QB in the AFC, let alone the NFL this year. The stats don't lie. Your comment is just subscribing to the recency bias narrative. By that metric, Jordan Love was the MVP because he was just a tad behind Purdy the 2nd half of the year. Oh, oops, even then Purdy was still the best in the league.

Maybe the problem is MVP voters watch games instead of spreadsheets. Perhaps we should have a “Most Statistically Optimal QB” award for you and the other 7 people who care about QBR or whatever.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Maybe the problem is MVP voters watch games instead of spreadsheets. Perhaps we should have a “Most Statistically Optimal QB” award for you and the other 7 people who care about QBR or whatever.

lol at the idea that the MVP voters watch games instead of buying into narratives.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Waltzing Along posted:

Purdy absolutely had an MVP quality season and was the best passer in the NFL for the majority of the season, and anyone who says otherwise is being deliberately obtuse.

Lamar, though, was taking over entire football games by mid season, and he kept it up without faltering (and Purdy did not). Credit to him and he deserves the award, because the QB position is not just about passing.

King Hong Kong posted:

lol at the idea that the MVP voters watch games instead of buying into narratives.

This, too.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 22, 2024

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

King Hong Kong posted:

The narrative this time is that Lamar is fun as hell and does amazing poo poo that’s unique in the league and that narrative comes from watching him do sick rear end poo poo in games.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

You are hilariously Purdypilled, but I respect the dedication to posting.

When Jimmy G was with Shanahan he generally had elite league ~production~ in key areas.

Here are the seasons where Jimmy played more than 10 games; 2019, 2021, 2022.
  • Yards / attempt was 3rd, 2nd, 4th
  • The YAC/completion was 1st, 1st, 2nd (tie).
  • Completion percentage was 4th, 6th, 6th.
(Note that these rankings put Jimmy above some of the actual elite of the elite qbs)

Then Jimmy goes to LV in 2023 where, in the limited games he played, his completion percentage and y/a dropped to approximately 16th and 16th. His YAC/completion would be around 29th.

Because Jimmy G loving sucks.

Everyone who watched Jimmy G, with the niners and after the niners, recognized he sucks. But Shanahan and the surrounding offense created an environment where production thrives.

People aren’t blown away by Purdy because we’ve already seen elite niners offensive production, even when the niners had a bad QB and no CMC.

Now it is without question that Brock is a substantively better quarterback than Jimmy G. The fact that Brock has a decent appetite for, and decent success with, throwing deep alone makes him better than Jimmy G. But that doesn’t mean Brock is the most valuable player in the league.

I’m not even a Purdy hater, I’m a Shanahan, Deebo, Trent Williams, Kittle, and CMC appreciator. It is weird as heck that niners fans ITT are diminishing the extraordinary coaching and surrounding offensive talent.

P.S. CMC is really good and should have been MVP of our hearts. Lamar is absolutely MVP of the league.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The narrative this time is that Lamar is fun as hell and does amazing poo poo that’s unique in the league and that narrative comes from watching him do sick rear end poo poo in games.

I’m not against narratives at all but the defense “they watch games” is almost always meant to suggest some sort of expertise in and time spent doing evaluation, not doing something that literally anyone who follows sports can do.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Coldforge posted:

Lamar, though, was taking over entire football games by mid season, and he kept it up without faltering (and Purdy did not). Credit to him and he deserves the award, because the QB position is not just about passing.
That’s a really good point too. Seems like MVP voters heavily weight their decisions based on consistency also the depth of the lows.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Coldforge posted:

Purdy had a great year, and hopefully will be even better next year

What crime did the fair citizens of Seattle commit upon thee, that thyself would be so wroth as to wish this calamity upon them!?

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Waltzing Along posted:

I care about Super Bowl MVP

you'll never guess who the betting favorite to win that one is :v:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

I continue to be impressed by how much garbage you can create when you conflate information to support your ideas.

Not that I’m not guilty of that too, at times, but you are a master.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I like to hear all of y'all's football opinions, NFCW thread solidarity

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

King Hong Kong posted:

I’m not against narratives at all but the defense “they watch games” is almost always meant to suggest some sort of expertise in and time spent doing evaluation, not doing something that literally anyone who follows sports can do.

I’m just suggesting that actually watching games, not in any deep or analytical fashion, but just sitting down and watching the games and enjoying the play instead of getting consumed with EPA and QBR and success rate and a bunch of other things is a very good way to understand how Lamar is the runaway favorite.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’m just suggesting that actually watching games, not in any deep or analytical fashion, but just sitting down and watching the games and enjoying the play instead of getting consumed with EPA and QBR and success rate and a bunch of other things is a very good way to understand how Lamar is the runaway favorite.

Fair enough, I thought you meant otherwise.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Man, this Barry Bonds guy sucks. All he does is walk constantly. He goes games at a time without even hitting the ball. He isn't valuable at all.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I don't think anyone watching Barry Bonds play would have trouble seeing how valuable he was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Waltzing Along posted:

The recency bias has absolutely always been this bad. Go back and read literally any past thread in this forum and you’ll see dramatic, insane overreactions to week by week variance every year. The coaching carousel thread is basically “histrionic overreactions to recent games: the thread” and always has been