Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
did you install the ENB lights? Its part of lux via.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

celestial teapot posted:

Migrated from ELFX to Lux Via + Lux + Lux Orbis. It's insanely bright. Like, looking at a road, most of it is solid white and I can barely make out shapes in the stones. That's not what the screenshots look like. Is it because I don't have an ENB? Do ENBs usually darken everything and so the lighting system has to compensate if you have one?

Lux Orbis Nexus page posted:

Lux Orbis has been designed to be compatible with ENB features and thus is using lower fade values than vanilla game, which means that any non-ENB user should run the ENB light patcher to increase my own lighting intensity or use a fully compatible ENB. Any ENB can be tweaked easily though, just check the Compatibility section to see all details.

Compatibility
Non-ENB users: Feel free to run Spongeman's light script to increase all light fade values at once. One can also tune radius but I would be cautious with any radius increase to not break some meshes.

ENB users: Most ENBs are tuned for vanilla fade values, as far as I'm concerned I've decided to use fully ENB compatible values with as little discrepancy as possible. If you want to tune down the ENB you're using yourself, look for the POINTLIGHTING values in the ENVIRONMENT section. Set the intensity and curve at 1.0 and desaturation at 0.0 to begin with. You can still adjust this value depending on your taste or ENB visuals. This values are compatible with Lux too but you'll need to change the interiors entries then.

This should help, though if you're switching lighting mods mid-playthrough you might have a deeper problem.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There are Lux-native ENBs that are aligned to its lighting values. I really liked Berserkyr ENB when I ran into the same problems with Lux. Berserkyr's install is complex, since it is built on top of another ENB itself.

But I seem to have last downloaded it in Oct '22, so there may be other Lux-native or -supportive ENBs now.

My post history has pictures of Berserkyr running on the Steam Deck, so it's reasonable in terms of performance depending on your resolution and hardware.

E: Looking over my posts, Berserkyr still impresses me.

I did not like using the Lux xEdit script at the time, though I can't remember why any more. Simply because it's so intrusive and will touch so many values perhaps?

v1ld fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 19, 2024

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
what tree mods do you guys use?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tankbuster posted:

what tree mods do you guys use?

Happy Little Trees and its various satellite mods are a good balance between vanilla and "we just stole everything from The Witcher 3 and other post-Skyrim games" type mods.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."

Tankbuster posted:

did you install the ENB lights? Its part of lux via.

I thought I shouldn't install more lights, because it's already so bright. So... no, I didn't. Was that all I had to do?

ThaumPenguin posted:

This should help, though if you're switching lighting mods mid-playthrough you might have a deeper problem.

Right, okay, thank you for pointing that out. :S

v1ld posted:

Berserkyr's install is complex, since it is built on top of another ENB itself.

That looks really cool. I'm almost burned out from my current modding frenzy so complex is a no-no, but I will bookmark this for the next one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i installed nordic souls and now it's getting infinite loading problems....rip

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I am finally done building my modlist again. Shame you can't directly use dibella's blessing

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i installed nordic souls and now it's getting infinite loading problems....rip

Is it on just the latest save or all of them? Or are you on a completely fresh playthrough?

If you're in an ongoing playthrough, there's chance you can salvage it by loading a still-functioning early save and from there loading the new one. Once you've gotten your character somewhere else and have made a newer save, that newer one might work just fine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

celestial teapot posted:

I thought I shouldn't install more lights, because it's already so bright. So... no, I didn't. Was that all I had to do?

ENBs don't just add more lights, they affect light intensity, how it propagates, etc. In my experience, the game is often much darker for a larger range of lighting after I install an ENB. I would heed others warnings about adding one to an existing install (although I don't THINK it should gently caress anything up, it's an external graphics layer not anything that affects save/world data), but definitely a missing ENB could be the source of everything looking like you're on the surface of the sun after adding another lighting mod that expects one.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ThaumPenguin posted:

Is it on just the latest save or all of them? Or are you on a completely fresh playthrough?

If you're in an ongoing playthrough, there's chance you can salvage it by loading a still-functioning early save and from there loading the new one. Once you've gotten your character somewhere else and have made a newer save, that newer one might work just fine.

Within 3 hours of playing for the first time.

The mod pack author is working on it

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Ah, good! Hopefully they'll work it out 😊

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah I was getting an infinite load when leaving a cave, though I could coc to riften I couldn't fast travel back to the cave... he thinks it some compile bug

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Arivia posted:

ENBs don't just add more lights, they affect light intensity, how it propagates, etc. In my experience, the game is often much darker for a larger range of lighting after I install an ENB. I would heed others warnings about adding one to an existing install (although I don't THINK it should gently caress anything up, it's an external graphics layer not anything that affects save/world data), but definitely a missing ENB could be the source of everything looking like you're on the surface of the sun after adding another lighting mod that expects one.

This. But also worth pointing out that Lux itself mucks with the default lighting model and will look either darker or lighter than you want - I forget which - if not compensated for by either an ENB that's aware of Lux's changes or that xEdit script.

Berserkyr handles the Lux lighting model correctly and gives great day/night/indoors/outdoors lighting all around while itself not injecting much in the way of lighting opinion.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I just use community shaders :shrug:

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
What's the best mod currently for "equip the best arrows/bolts not the worst, and unequip arrows/bolts when unequipping a bow/crossbow"?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I just use the Auto Hide Ammo mod which does the job for me, when I pull my bow out it always keeps me on the same arrows I had equipped when I put it away.

Tankbuster posted:

Shame you can't directly use dibella's blessing

What does this mean exactly?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just use the Auto Hide Ammo mod which does the job for me, when I pull my bow out it always keeps me on the same arrows I had equipped when I put it away.

What does this mean exactly?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/82606

This is the mod in question. Its a remake of all the female characters in the game. Its very solid, pretty good and does an excellent job of giving a bunch of different women characters without making them into bimbos. It also comes with it's own skin textures and (most critically) headpart textures. Now the mod author has worked a ton on this and doesn't want to release or authorize a patch that removes their personal handpicked skins for the player installed one. Which means I manually have to go through each facegen nif and replace that one at a time for it work. Its a lot of effort and I don't want to do it on weekends.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Ohhhh I getcha. Yeah I use Dibella's Blessing as my one stop shop for non-ugly faces. I don't use any other face or body replacers that would conflict with it though so it works out of the box for me.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

It's not Dibella's Blessing.

It's DIbella's Blessing.

This is a sufficient argument to me to avoid it. I mean, what the gently caress.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Tankbuster posted:

This is the mod in question. Its a remake of all the female characters in the game. Its very solid, pretty good and does an excellent job of giving a bunch of different women characters without making them into bimbos. It also comes with it's own skin textures and (most critically) headpart textures. Now the mod author has worked a ton on this and doesn't want to release or authorize a patch that removes their personal handpicked skins for the player installed one. Which means I manually have to go through each facegen nif and replace that one at a time for it work. Its a lot of effort and I don't want to do it on weekends.
I have mixed feelings about this one because it makes a lot of the younger women look like they're 12, but also fixes the problem I have with vanilla where all of the older characters look like they stopped aging at like 30 and just developed gray hair and a stoop.

tl;dr: Skyrim modding is a land of contrasts, sometimes within the same mod.

Corsec
Apr 17, 2007

Tankbuster posted:

You could take your player installed textures, copy, rename and overwrite the archived file used by Dibella's Blessing (loose files overwrite archived ones in MO2). That should save you a lot of effort at the cost of increased install size.

If you open the archive with BSA Browser then you can actually just use copy-paste-rename to replace the archived texture files, and then close up the archive again. This won't require increasing your install space but will save you time and effort.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
No, I already have an unarchived version of it. The problem is that I can't replace headparts and now skin mods post SPID can distribute different textures on runtime based on parameters like race.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

I couldn't find a digestible top-to-bottom "How to install ENB for beginners guide" so I asked ChatGPT. Can anyone sanity check this and make sure it's not a hallucination? I'm just trying to get off the ground with ENB for the first time :v:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
you copy the dll files in the wrapper version to your root skyrim folder and then dump your preferred enb profile next to it.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Cool, that's pretty much what the chatbot said, thanks

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Tankbuster posted:

you copy the dll files in the wrapper version to your root skyrim folder and then dump your preferred enb profile next to it.

^^

About as simple as it gets.

(Just an fyi, Boris will sooner or later have some kind of meltdown and inject something nasty into the project)

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Splorange posted:

(Just an fyi, Boris will sooner or later have some kind of meltdown and inject something nasty into the project)

Uhh, can you say more? Am I giving this guy access to my system or something? It doesn't update itself right?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

celestial teapot posted:

Uhh, can you say more? Am I giving this guy access to my system or something? It doesn't update itself right?

No, but he might add another unhinged (and probably homophobic) rant into the loader message in future versions.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

celestial teapot posted:

Should be fine, for now. But you know, Google around a bit there was a bit of drama not so long ago when Nemtsov went on a bit of a rant. Came across as a bit unhinged.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
installing a enb is about as complex as installing a cracked executable or a LAA hack for older games.

celestial teapot posted:

no its modder beef. Nothing much to do with the end user.

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Reddit thread I found discussing this asshat.

Okay, thanks for the warning. I'm comfortable doing a :rolleyes: if it's just some deranged bullshit I have to click past or whatever.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
as it is right now if your machine is good enough, ENBs are somewhat superior to the community shaders project. Me personally? I like having my frames intact

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

code:
$ neofetch
                   -`                    ryan@typhon
                  .o+`
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux
                `+oooo:                  Model: MS-7C56 3.0
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 6.7.0-zen3-1-zen
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 3 days, 18 hours, 10 mins
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Shell: xonsh 0.14.1
            `/++++/+++++++:              Resolution: 1920x1080
           `/++++++++++++++:             WM: sway
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D (8) @ 3.4GHz [44.5°C]
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          GPU: ATI Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Memory: 15.74GiB / 62.72GiB (25%)
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Disk (/): 1.7T / 1.8T (96%)
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:
 `++:.                           `-/+/
 .`                                 `/

Place your bets, I'm going in

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

celestial teapot posted:

code:
$ neofetch
                   -`                    ryan@typhon
                  .o+`
                 `ooo/                   OS: Arch Linux
                `+oooo:                  Model: MS-7C56 3.0
               `+oooooo:                 Kernel: 6.7.0-zen3-1-zen
               -+oooooo+:                Uptime: 3 days, 18 hours, 10 mins
             `/:-:++oooo+:               Shell: xonsh 0.14.1
            `/++++/+++++++:              Resolution: 1920x1080
           `/++++++++++++++:             WM: sway
          `/+++ooooooooooooo/`           CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D (8) @ 3.4GHz [44.5°C]
         ./ooosssso++osssssso+`          GPU: ATI Radeon RX 6600/6600 XT/6600M
        .oossssso-````/ossssss+`         Memory: 15.74GiB / 62.72GiB (25%)
       -osssssso.      :ssssssso.        Disk (/): 1.7T / 1.8T (96%)
      :osssssss/        osssso+++.
     /ossssssss/        +ssssooo/-
   `/ossssso+/:-        -:/+osssso+-
  `+sso+:-`                 `.-/+oso:
 `++:.                           `-/+/
 .`                                 `/

Place your bets, I'm going in

bro you ain't getting past the cart ride

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Why? Because poo poo GPU?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

celestial teapot posted:

Why? Because poo poo GPU?

No, because Skyrim is a lovely bug-filled game and even unmodded the cart ride is a wild gamble because the cart can get overturned if it runs into a bee. I'm not making that up.

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

No, because Skyrim is a lovely bug-filled game and even unmodded the cart ride is a wild gamble because the cart can get overturned if it runs into a bee. I'm not making that up.

Luckily there's https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/63953 Optional Quick Start - SE

and a ton of cart ride fixes when there're specific mods loving with it ( eg. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/8004 Prisoner cart fix SMIM )

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I'm using Alternate Start.

Anyway, the guess was wrong; I didn't even get to the main menu, let alone the wagon ride. Instead I got a big black window from a process not consuming any CPU.

Here's what I did:

1. Added ENB dlls
2. Added Weather is Sacred preset
3. Started SKSE via MO2 as before
4. Looked at a black screen for 5 or 6 minutes before giving up

No steam overlay, mangohud, discord overlay or anything of such is enabled.

Is this a known issue, or anything obvious I can check to troubleshoot it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
don't ask chat GPT for modding advice, or any advice at all.