Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Show should be called Juggernaut Holmes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just finished Mare of Easttown and I liked it, even if the resolution to the murder story was a little silly. It’s never a good sign for your story when a character who has barely had a single line needs to monologue for five minutes. The one thing that confuses me is the nameless friend/henchman that the victim’s boyfriend goes around with. He has no introduction and no motive or character at all, but he’s apparently a vital part of the teenage conspiracy, going around threatening people. Also the resolution of that story is strange: the three teenagers burn the journals so that the boyfriend’s parents will raise the baby? They already know the boyfriend isn’t the father, so what difference does it make?

Anyway, I give it an A-, with an A+ for the dialect coach. I had no idea half the cast was British.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just finished the first episode of the x files and it actually held up pretty well. I don’t think I’m going to watch many more episodes but we will see.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

I just finished the first episode of the x files and it actually held up pretty well. I don’t think I’m going to watch many more episodes but we will see.

It gets a lot better. Season 1 is okay but Season 2 for me and some others I've talked to is when it really takes off.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

X-files kicks rear end. But I cannot bring myself to watch the last season. The last one I watched was real bad and I liked the final season of the original run.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The last X-Files episode I ever watched was the one with Kumail Nanjiani and it was fun. I think it's a good way to end the show.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Khanstant posted:

The second season is just boomer bait avengers but the first season was really fun and perfectly walked the very thin line between it just being what you expect, and what is as with a hilariously competent hulk Sherlock Holmes rolling through a town and steamrolling a bunch of hateable jerks.

S1 seemed to be aware of how ridiculous Reacher is, while s2 just took itself more and more seriously with, and got worse with, each episode. Like, it's clear they felt like they needed to have a big blowout gunfight basically every episode this time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Gunfights are really boring without something exceptional about it. As episode filling action scenes they're just boring you just deal with loud noises and lousy shots of effects popping off until you find out who got shot or not. And what's the point of have a hulk if you're just gonna have it shoot a gun so much, anyone can pull a trigger.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

The last X-Files episode I ever watched was the one with Kumail Nanjiani and it was fun. I think it's a good way to end the show.

The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat in the last season is a pretty good ending too.

Khanstant posted:

Gunfights are really boring without something exceptional about it. As episode filling action scenes they're just boring you just deal with loud noises and lousy shots of effects popping off until you find out who got shot or not. And what's the point of have a hulk if you're just gonna have it shoot a gun so much, anyone can pull a trigger.

Also at some point it triggers the "I could just watch Strike Back/Banshee/Gangs of London/etc. and see this same thing but better" if that's all that the show wants to do.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

It gets a lot better. Season 1 is okay but Season 2 for me and some others I've talked to is when it really takes off.

This is my hazy recollected childhood but the show is great until about season 5 and then you realize the producer has no clue about his own mythology and the cracks start to show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a very random show with a very solid premise. Any season has something of value, and IMO each season has at least one all timer.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Seasons two and three are the height of the series, imo. At some point, the producers get the idea that comedy is what makes it great and they just ramp up the humor until everything gets spoiled by too many jokes.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
the Reacher finale featured him beating up a gang of armed mercs whilst handcuffed, I dunno what else you are looking for here

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I remember just before leaving for Christmas being excited about a show that was starting early January, either first or second week. I got back and went looking for it having forgotten and can't find anything in that time on any streaming service. Here's what I thought it might have been:

Masters of the Air - Late January
3 Body Problem - Late March
Fallout - Early April

Anyone able to help my broke brain?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
True Detective: Night Country?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Yup, this was my favorite season of Fargo. Was getting emotional at the end there. Different than how I felt even with the 1st and 2nd seasons. Amazed? Joyful for the writing coming together so well? Yeah. But this was legitmately getting me teary-eyed lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The themes! The themes...

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Hughlander posted:

Masters of the Air - Late January
3 Body Problem - Late March
Fallout - Early April

Anyone able to help my broke brain?

The Brothers Sun?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Shageletic posted:

The themes! The themes...

Any good motifs?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Looten Plunder posted:

The Brothers Sun?

No, but I hadn't heard of that before so I guess I'll have to watch it...

I thought while I was out maybe Scott Pilgrim but apparently that started in November and I didn't know.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fool me once was really good and a nice one and done season.

Definitely recommend.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I finished Reservation Dogs, and it was a lot different than I expected, but not in a bad way. I thought the show was going to be about juvenile delinquents in a Native American reservation, but they pretty much stop doing crime a couple of episodes into season one, and then it turns into slice-of-life Native American magical realism. This is honestly way more my thing, so I wish someone had told me. If I had known this would be the kind of show where [spoiler]The Deer Lady fights the catfish-loving Bohemian Grove in the woods[spoiler], I would have started watching a lot earlier. The vibe reminds me of Lodge 49, although I can't put a finger on it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Clearly you don't follow the thread, we've been shouting the praises of Reservation Dogs for years

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Just finished the first two episodes of Death and Other Details. The first episode really didn't click for me most of the way through and I almost bailed. Thankfully I didn't and after the 2nd episode I'm in for the rest of the season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

While they haven't said what it is Lee Child has said that they've decided which Reacher novel will be adapted for season 3. Apparently season 3 will be more of a solo adventure for Reacher which kind of narrows down the options.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
As long as it has less killing every single person within a 2 mile radius and no one in law enforcement or the government even caring.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
https://www.thewrap.com/the-knick-season-3-update-andre-holland/

"André Holland Says ‘The Knick’ Season 3 with Barry Jenkins Is Alive: ‘We’re Working Very Hard to Make It Happen’"

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’m enjoying Criminal Record on A+ with Cush Jumbo and Salty McGlasgow and Peter Capaldi. It’s a slow-burn British Police drama with 45-minute episodes that give the actors a lot of room to breathe. Filming quality is top-notch, with London almost a secondary character. All filmed on location, kudos to the set designer who made sure flats look actually lived in.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Ninurta posted:

Just finished the first two episodes of Death and Other Details. The first episode really didn't click for me most of the way through and I almost bailed. Thankfully I didn't and after the 2nd episode I'm in for the rest of the season.

The main actress is hot as poo poo and so is Hugo Diego Garcia

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ooft. Showtime's divested itself of another show, with the Andrew Scott Talented Mister Ripley adaptation now going to Netflix.

Cute that they got John Malkovitch, and it looks gorgeous.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ooft. Showtime's divested itself of another show, with the Andrew Scott Talented Mister Ripley adaptation now going to Netflix.

Cute that they got John Malkovitch, and it looks gorgeous.

Oh this is gonna be good. Also, neat seeing Malkovich in it since he has played Tom Ripley before.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1749462574242922720

Writers?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Those working conditions have gotta be harsh, they're putting out enough content that the network can regularly air 24-hour marathons! :v:

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

While they haven't said what it is Lee Child has said that they've decided which Reacher novel will be adapted for season 3. Apparently season 3 will be more of a solo adventure for Reacher which kind of narrows down the options.

Well "solo adventures" is really what Reacher is all about. Working with a team as in S2 is an outlier, and a lovely one at that. The end scene with him riding a bus to who knows where was the best part of that season because it points to a proper Jack Reacher story - blowing into some random town on a whim, getting involved with local shenanigans by chance, and doing what he does just cause he feels like it that day. (While he usually works with a local cop or hot lady in town I still consider these solo adventures.)

AcidCat fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 22, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What Reacher needs is an incredibly hot, but skeptical female crime solving partner in the mix. Then that way, whenever Reacher's not out busting heads, because he smells crime, he's back at wherever he has his toothbrush performing outrageous sexual experiments on her supple young body. And here's the twist, and there is a twist, we show it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah that was up there with Katie Holmes for completely unexpected nudity in a show or movie. As far as I can remember it's the only instance of anything sexual in the whole first season.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Unrelated to nudity....or is it: S2 of the Halo show is going to be a soft reboot

quote:

Halo star Pablo Schreiber says season 2 will be much darker than its predecessor – and he believes it's much more effective.

"The tonal shift just feels so much more appropriate for the franchise," Schreiber tells SFX magazine in the new issue, which features Halo season 2 on the cover. "It's darker, it's more dangerous, all of the stunt and action sequences put you into the battle and inside the fighting. To me, it's a much more effective way to deal with the show. I think [David Wiener, Halo's new showrunner] is just a more gifted writer, to be quite frank. I think his dialogue is better. He puts words in the mouth that feel more appropriate for the character."

"There's no question the second season is far stronger than the first," he continues. "I will stake my reputation on that. It's absolutely improved. The art director who came on board, James Foster, is fantastic. He created a visual world that just makes a lot more sense. It's so beautiful, incredibly cinematic. And the dialogue is better. It's just a better season, period."

"I don't want to say a soft reboot, but there was intent to reset the state of the world," Kiki Wolfkill, one of Halo's executive producers and the head of property expansion at Microsoft, tells SFX. "It was a goal to do a few things. One was really to start to shift tonally to a place that was a little more grounded and grittier, but still with the big spectacle of Halo and sci-fi."

There were some good things to take out of s1 (not very many, but some) but on the whole they just need to do the drat story from the games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lmao this is ridiculous

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Gah, was feeling almost satisfied at managing to scrape 7 points together going into the final round watching Only Connect this week, only for the final round to leave me staring at the screen like a brain damaged baboon. Duck Duck Goose can gently caress right off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cojawfee posted:

What Reacher needs is an incredibly hot, but skeptical female crime solving partner in the mix. Then that way, whenever Reacher's not out busting heads, because he smells crime, he's back at wherever he has his toothbrush performing outrageous sexual experiments on her supple young body. And here's the twist, and there is a twist, we show it.

How long will that go on for?