Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Tenebrous Tourist posted:

Team Fortress 2 has to be the absolute pinnacle of vaporware shitshoe-itude. It was in development for 9 years and turned out amazingly.

I remember when TF2 was still planned as a realistic milsim shooter that a guy came to the Sierra forums and told us that the TF2 previewed on the Quake 2 engine had been completely scrapped and replaced with a cartoon-style shooter built on Valve’s proprietary engine and that guy got banned from the Sierra forums for trolling.

Bapanada.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Cactus posted:

I started elden ring a few days ago and it seems pretty big so by the time I've finished that Silksong should be out.

This might have a chance of being true only if you finish the DLC too

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
it's weird that ubisoft ended up publishing silksong but hey

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Any day now!

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
This is what happens when Silksong takes too long to release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8HUELoNayE

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Imitation might be the sincerest form of flattery but that's downright shameless lol

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
It's like the flood of insanely lovely platformers in the 16-bit era when everyone was trying to make another SMW.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
they call it deviator when it does everything but that

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Makes u think

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Looks like more parrying

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

RCarr posted:

Any day now!

yup. might even be today

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

little munchkin posted:

yup. might even be today

Live every day like today's the day

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Prince of Persia is good. I've gotten through the first boss and am enjoying it. I think another movement type upgrade and I will start back tracking to see what goodies I can find. It is a bit less secretive than HK, though. The maps give you a heads up for what items are hanging about.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Waltzing Along posted:

Prince of Persia is good. I've gotten through the first boss and am enjoying it. I think another movement type upgrade and I will start back tracking to see what goodies I can find. It is a bit less secretive than HK, though. The maps give you a heads up for what items are hanging about.

No item hints on my map?

… you bought the treasure hint dlc didn’t you

e: oh wait I just hadn’t spotted the item counter thing you’re talking about, sorry for questioning your honor like that

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 21, 2024

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Wasn't sure if you were joking but no, they really are selling a deluxe edition for $10 more which is the only way to get the secret finder item.

Consider this a reminder that Ubisoft occasionally run a promotion where their subscription service is available for $1 for a month.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Treasure hint DLC? Hadn't even heard about that. That's funny.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Waltzing Along posted:

Treasure hint DLC? Hadn't even heard about that. That's funny.

I think as far back as Assassin's Creed 4 you could buy treasure maps with their Helix currency, which you could get by paying real life money

edit: was actually Assassin's Creed Unity

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In this case it's a 0-slot charm (the game has the exact same charms and slots system from HK) that makes a little bird follow you around and tweet when treasure is near. But when you have it equipped it ducks all of the audio in the game all the time to I guess ensure you can hear the tweeting? Baffling decision.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I haven't played enough to see if that would actually be necessary. Unlocking movement skills and exploring is the whole point. But maybe there will be hidden stuff, I dunno. I did buy a map from some kid and it revealed things, I think. Not sure, I did it right before I stopped.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Koburn posted:

Wasn't sure if you were joking but no, they really are selling a deluxe edition for $10 more which is the only way to get the secret finder item.

Consider this a reminder that Ubisoft occasionally run a promotion where their subscription service is available for $1 for a month.

This actually isn't true. There's an in-game charm that does the same thing, the deluxe edition one is just free to equip and you start the game with it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Game also takes inspiration from Celeste.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Buy Prince of Persia. It's legit good. If you like Hollow Knight, you will almost certainly like PoP. The story elements might annoy you, it is a bigger budget game. But the moment to moment gameplay is solid. The platforming is really interesting. It's like HK+

Ferrous
Feb 28, 2010
This morning when I woke up my Hollow Knight special edition was on the floor and nothing else on the shelf was disturbed at all.

I think this is a sign.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Ferrous posted:

This morning when I woke up my Hollow Knight special edition was on the floor and nothing else on the shelf was disturbed at all.

I think this is a sign.

Groundhog lore means six more years of delays!

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Buy Prince of Persia. It's legit good. If you like Hollow Knight, you will almost certainly like PoP. The story elements might annoy you, it is a bigger budget game. But the moment to moment gameplay is solid. The platforming is really interesting. It's like HK+

I did and it the first metroidvania that isn't Hollow Knight that clicked with me. The traversal and combat you start with are straight up better in every way than HK's full loadout. The world and exploration I cant judge yet as I'm still in the first few hours, haven't even got the rewind time ability yet, but from what I've seen that looks to be just as good. The upgrades and charms are pretty much lifted identically from HK which doesn't bother me one bit because they're good systems. The ability to pin a screenshot directly to the map screen is such an obviously useful mechanic it has me scratching my head in bemusement at the fact I've not really seen it used in a game like this before. I think I prefer HK's graphical style but that's probably the most subjective thing to judge and PoP is no slouch there either.

The difficulty options are also really good, up to Sony standards of accessibility. Want to put it on hard, but tweak it so the enemies don't have bullet-sponge (sword-sponge?) amounts of health? It's granular enough that you can! Stuck on a particularly hard platforming part for hours that long ago stopped being fun to attempt? There's an option to portal through it. Got a severe case of "where do I go next?" but you've looked everywhere? You can turn on "guided mode" where it'll show you on the map where the unexplored bits are that you have the ability to get to. Think all that is pussy poo poo for casuals that need to git gud? Great, you can leave it all turned off for the True Gamer experience without affecting everyone else's ability to play as they want. Fromsoft take heed.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Tell me more about the combat. From what little I saw of the game it seemed more deliberate and slower-paced and kinda... character actiony for lack of a better word. More complex?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I’ll buy it once it’s even $10 off, $50 just feels like a bridge too far for a non-premium title

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's easily worth $50 if you like this sort of game. Ask yourself, how much would I pay for Hollow Knight now that I know how much I love it? Is it more than $50? Then get PoP right now while it is fresh.

As for the combat, it is faster and more complex.

If there is pogoing, I have not found it. But so far I can:

Do basic attacks in the cardinal directions. On the ground of midair.
Also a low attack if crouched.
Do an attack that lifts people in the air.
A kick if running.
A parry/counter that sometimes will insta-kill.
Use a bow that I can also use as a spinning boomerang.

I'm about 20% through the game so far and have unlocked 2 movement upgrades. Air dash and another that is not in Hollow Knight.

There is a currency that you get via platform challenges, kinda like the strawberries (i think) in Celeste. You grab it in the middle of the challenge and get to a safe place to secure it.

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 23, 2024

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

morestuff posted:

I’ll buy it once it’s even $10 off, $50 just feels like a bridge too far for a non-premium title

i just paid for a month of ubisoft +

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Alxprit posted:

Tell me more about the combat. From what little I saw of the game it seemed more deliberate and slower-paced and kinda... character actiony for lack of a better word. More complex?

Austin review is out. He really likes it too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTbCsDQitU&t=918s

The combat I'd describe as a less complex (at least so far) version of DMC combat - there are as of yet no long sequences of key inputs to remember to do certain moves, although pressing them repeatedly or alternating light and strong combines and animates smoothly together so you can kind of make your own combos up. Character animations are on par with Metroid Dread. You can slide-dodge through most stuff llike in dead cells, and parry/counter all but the "red" hits - the parry window itself, like all the difficulty options, is independantly player-adjustable. You can launch and juggle enemies in the air, you can shoot arrows at them, or if that isn't hitting hard enough you can throw your whole loving bow at them, and it becomes a returning disk. This is also used in some of the platforming puzzles.

There seems to be elemental attacks you can charm-defense against or maybe add to your own repertoire, I haven't got far enough to see how far they go with that yet though. All of this you get in the first hour or two, I've done a few minibosses and I'm on the first big named boss - the "false knight" if you will - although this boss is somewhat more challenging than FK was: (it's a manticore with a poison tail!) <-- if you've watched any reviews or trailers you'll have seen this boss.

It's really great, deffo worth the asking price IMO. I'm gonna play it right now.

And jfc we'll all be lolling hard for at least the amount of time Silksong was in development, if they finally release it and it turns out it's thunder was stolen by a Ubisoft game of all things. lmao.

Edit: Yassss just beat the motherfucker. Definitely one of those games where if a boss is giving you trouble, have a sleep or two and come back to it after your neurons have grown some connections and you'll beat it in two or three attempts.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Jan 23, 2024

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
drat..the Kiana fight pulls no punches. For a fairly early boss fight, it is pretty hard.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

PoP game rules . Silk song is gonna be baloney by comparison so the devs cancelled it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hollow Knight Silksong: might as well make this the PoP thread

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
prince of persia when he dies be like

adanapab

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

prince of persia when he dies be like

adanapab

wowowow!!!

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
wake me up when prince of persia has a single aesthetic redeeming quality

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
If I buy POP I have to give Ubisoft money

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
If you don't buy PoP you have made a bad decision.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’ve stopped playing prince of persia because it crashes every time I try to start the next boss fight so I guess I’m stuck

I knew they were ripping off hollow knight but I didn’t expect the game to be this full of bugs!!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Shoehead posted:

If I buy POP I have to give Ubisoft money

Yup. Hard pass.