Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

no, again, i'm sorry but this too is a misrepresentation. there is a massive difference between i.e. adobe creating an LLM from its own stock footage library and Warner Brothers making one from their script archive. The scripts submitted to warner brothers were not licensed as stock, they all have separate contracts attached with provisions for rewrites and derivative works, and residuals if the script makes it into production. nobody makes residuals from stock footage, but writers live off of the residuals from scripts. Warner can't make a legally-sourced dataset from their script archive without sidestepping their existing WGA contracts, the point of the strike is to shore up explicit language in the contract that would keep them from doing that.
Okay, fair enough point. Just forget I brought up the strikes then. It wasn't really necessary for the argument in the first place. But still, it seems like the massive difference you speak of is only related to existing contractual obligations, not to the ethics of the production, ownership, and exploitation of the art in question. Artists still made and submitted stock work to Adobe, just with a shittier deal and far fewer protections afforded them by a massive union. An argument like "there are no such protections in place at Adobe, thus their model is more ethically sound than the equivalent WB one would be" could be interpreted as "the more screwed over the artist already was, the more ethically sound the future exploitation of their work by AI becomes".

But again I'm not trying to make an anti-AI argument, just emphasize that the problems with AI aren't just the specific legalities of where the data came from, but also how and why it's going to be used, and that "ethics-washing" is going to be a thing. I think that "no ethical consumption under capitalism" thing applies here, except it's about LLMs.

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 21, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Volte posted:

Artists still made and submitted stock work to Adobe, just with a shittier deal and far fewer protections afforded them by a massive union. An argument like "there are no such protections in place at Adobe, thus their model is more ethically sound than the equivalent WB one would be" could be interpreted as "the more screwed over the artist already was, the more ethically sound the future exploitation of their work by AI becomes".

no, there are no such protections with a stock library, nor should there be. a stock footage license almost always includes the ability to infinitely remix and rework the art, that's the point of stock footage. when people submit work to a stock library, they are explicitly told what's going to happen, and must agree to it to get paid. the ethical dilemma you're talking about does not exist with stock footage libraries, in a similar way as it not existing with public domain works.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

in the case of adobe stock images, adobes not too discerning about copyright on there which is gonna make it kind of a minefield. lots of ai generated stuff in the style of specific artists and straight up matted out disney characters

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

no, there are no such protections with a stock library, nor should there be. a stock footage license almost always includes the ability to infinitely remix and rework the art, that's the point of stock footage. when people submit work to a stock library, they are explicitly told what's going to happen, and must agree to it to get paid. the ethical dilemma you're talking about does not exist with stock footage libraries, in a similar way as it not existing with public domain works.
Yeah, people buying stock art have the right to remix it or do whatever they want with it, because they already bought the license and paid Adobe (and thus the original artist) for it under the original agreement. Adobe themselves taking stock art that they are obligated to pay royalties to the artist for, shoving it into a LLM, and generating new assets that they don't have to pay anybody anything for is basically the same issue as the one in the WGA strike, except there's nobody to have their backs. The whole point I'm making is that the issues of using generative AI extend well beyond dotting the i's and crossing the t's of contractual obligations, because those things are already imperfect and the subject of massive amounts of labour angst to begin with. "Yeah the contract may be lovely and the workers may be exploited, but at least the model didn't violate the contract" is not a compelling pro-AI stance to me.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Volte posted:

Adobe themselves taking stock art that they are obligated to pay royalties to the artist for

that's not how stock art works, nobody makes royalties on it. that is the point.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

that's not how stock art works, nobody makes royalties on it.
I meant they get a part of the sale (commission?), I didn't mean to say royalties.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

If we can move away from AI art chat for a bit I would be grateful.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
What do you figure the best game AI is?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
aliens: colonial marines

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The only good AI is the one starring Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

AI: The Somnium Files

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Volte posted:

I meant they get a part of the sale (commission?), I didn't mean to say royalties.

I guess it depends on the licensing terms. Some photographers are probably fine getting $X per image they deliver as an one time fee since it means a guaranteed income.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

stev posted:

The only good AI is the one starring Haley Joel Osment and Jude Law.

That movie scared the hell out of one of my siblings as a kid. She really hated when the family left the kid "in the jungle." Eventually it became a joke, if she was misbehaving we'd go don't make us send you to the jungle.

That forest had a pretty fun robot circus inside in the end so it wasn't all that bad as far as places to abandon robot child.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GlyphGryph posted:

BEL/S from Open Sorcery

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The best game AI is Solaire because he's my friend and helps me beat up gross bosses. Praise the Sun! \[T]/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I finally made progress in Bloodborne after months of struggling with it and opened a shortcut and fought some rats and got a new hat and :toot:

god these games are great whenever you succeed at something

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You should not replace google with chatgpt lol, doing so is an insanely bad idea. Gpt will always spit out a plausible sounding answer even for things which are completely and utterly wrong. There's use cases for gpt, but they're all in the realm of "annoying to produce, easy to verify" (which is why it's popular for generating code). If you're trying to use it to learn things you will get wildly hosed over and not even realize it because the incorrect answers are presented just as professionally and confidently as the correct ones.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

You should not replace google with chatgpt lol, doing so is an insanely bad idea. Gpt will always spit out a plausible sounding answer even for things which are completely and utterly wrong. There's use cases for gpt, but they're all in the realm of "annoying to produce, easy to verify" (which is why it's popular for generating code). If you're trying to use it to learn things you will get wildly hosed over and not even realize it because the incorrect answers are presented just as professionally and confidently as the correct ones.

yeah ask one of the growing number of lawyers who've tried to build cases around chatgpt word vomit and gotten slapped for it

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It’s why LLM’s that your building locally on a Big Mac Studio or high end graphic cards can in theory not be tainted. You can train something to write fan fiction on just your own writing and public domain books. People will get pissed, but ethically it’s not “stealing” like anti ai people like to claim.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it's absolutely possible to use this tech ethically, but the people most interested in pushing it are also not at all interested in ethics.

Also unrelated, I like to remember when Capcom was showing off DragDog2 in one of their showcases and they were talking about enemy behavior and the narrator just goes "That's the power of AI!" and I've never seen a company more openly and nakedly just jingling keys in front of the shareholders lmao.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, it's absolutely possible to use this tech ethically, but the people most interested in pushing it are also not at all interested in ethics.

Also unrelated, I like to remember when Capcom was showing off DragDog2 in one of their showcases and they were talking about enemy behavior and the narrator just goes "That's the power of AI!" and I've never seen a company more openly and nakedly just jingling keys in front of the shareholders lmao.

I know some romance writers that want to use it write romances faster. They love writing the romance but hate writing the sex scenes after publishing dozens of them. You can easily feed some of these models your own scenes and with enough dirty examples and it can write short (500-1000 word) scenes that with light editing can totally fit into a longer narrative work that are original. I have no problemWith that, but there’s enough witch hunting they have to be very quiet about this stuff. (Private discord servers and such).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Goons: "What if AI takes over video games?"

Ryu Ga Gotoku Studio's: SHITPOSTING TIME!
https://i.imgur.com/0Hhbpiv.mp4

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
AI'm gamin' ovah heah!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Infinitum posted:

God I can't wait.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinitum posted:

Bobobo rear end attack

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
I could only think of this as I was reading all the palworld discourse

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Roadwarden is an amazing game that I feel would be better suited on a mobile device rather than a PC.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I get all the arguments about AI but man, I really just don't care at all. Most of it sucks!

GlyphGryph posted:

FEAR

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

(barry wheeler voice) Al!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

"Ai ai ai!" - an AI

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

GlyphGryph posted:

Superfly Johnson

databasic
Jan 8, 2024
FWIW Fortnite has the Flatfoot / Lady John McClain skin available for $12 today. It has made my entire month to finally get this skin on PC. She even has a duct-taped pistol backpack.

A couple of weeks ago they had Ripley and I lost my mind a little bit. Now I am set for life on Fortnite PC skins (but I will probably still buy more).

I have also found myself favoring a pistol way more than I should be with this skin.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

virinvictus posted:

Roadwarden is an amazing game that I feel would be better suited on a mobile device rather than a PC.

Yeah I kinda felt that way too. I'd love it on my phone.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

really israel could slaughter all these children without our help, I just didn't want to miss out on the chance to participate
The correct answer was SHODAN

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Right now in the AI space, most of what we see is useless and its just companies throwing stuff out there to see what stick. But the software developer that finds that lightning in the bottle that advances capitalism, is going to become massively wealthy, so that is what everyone is doing right now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

databasic posted:

Flatfoot / Lady John McClain

Why didn’t they call it Jane McClon

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Hoping Bruce Willis sees some money off sales for it :unsmith:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

databasic posted:

FWIW Fortnite has the Flatfoot / Lady John McClain skin available for $12 today. It has made my entire month to finally get this skin on PC. She even has a duct-taped pistol backpack.

A couple of weeks ago they had Ripley and I lost my mind a little bit. Now I am set for life on Fortnite PC skins (but I will probably still buy more).

I have also found myself favoring a pistol way more than I should be with this skin.

I'm glad you found some skins you enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Does Palworld run better than Pokémon? If so, put Pikachu's rear end on notice.