Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

he does have a toy phone that he likes to call the zoo and ask them to take me away to live with the monkeys.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the other day my son came up to us and said he was bored and my my wife said "that's okay. it's okay to be bored sometimes."

We tell our kids this all the time. I try really hard to limit screen time, and especially non-creative screen time, although I've caved more since we moved and most of their toys, books, art supplies etc are unavailable so there really isn't anything else to do.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Kids come up with the best and weirdest stuff when they're bored!

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the other day my son came up to us and said he was bored and my my wife said "that's okay. it's okay to be bored sometimes."

lol big theme of this past week of snow days

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

yea, I’m firmly in the boredom is great camp. 9 times out of ten, when I take away or deny the screen, she’s finding something else to do within 5 minutes. I’ll give her 20 minutes to wind down for bed before transitioning into reading, which seems to work well.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
my kid is almost 8 now and we still heavily limit screen time to roughly an hour a day (split between shows and games), plus half hour more on weekend days and sometimes a weekend movie. the mistake we made was letting them listen to audiobooks on headphones because we thought "books are good!" and now the kid won't take off the headphones without a huge fight. it's not even about the content or it causing problems beyond behavioral conflicts like "no you can't listen to your headphones on the drive to school today" which blows up every time

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
also most of their friends are on ipads literally all day. some of them even have two ipads so they can facetime their friends while playing on their ipad

technology ftw

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

man i dont know how my son has so much energy, i have been chasing him around the house for like an hour (as a game to be clear lol, when i catch him he gets tickled) and he still wants me to chase him. buddy its a lot of moving!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

we all slept in a bit today so maybe he will go to sleep at a regular time, with this energy expenditure

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

also most of their friends are on ipads literally all day. some of them even have two ipads so they can facetime their friends while playing on their ipad

technology ftw

How are they gonna watch subway surfers with only two ipads??

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

technology ftw

my son does this with his cousin because it's the easiest way for them to interact (switch + iPad).

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Downside to not relying on screens: constant mess EVERYWHERE

Piles of marble run track pieces in the family room, wooden train tracks mixed with play food and Legos (??) In the basement, and a mountain of "crafting" strewn across the kitchen. This was all clean last night :negative:

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

yes I feel that Legos and paper everywhere little guys just makes piles of drawings and comics,

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I definitely feel like there's a middle ground between "my child has never held a phone" and "my child can't sit at a table in a restaurant without having a screen in front of them" and we're trying to walk it

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

technology ftw

Me posting on my dual screen setup.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

loquacius posted:

I definitely feel like there's a middle ground between "my child has never held a phone" and "my child can't sit at a table in a restaurant without having a screen in front of them" and we're trying to walk it

it's really hard, lol, I expected it to be easier to just have reasonable rules about it but boy that slope is slippery

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

SirPablo posted:

Me posting on my dual screen setup.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
We barely limit our kids screen time. This is the world they live in, not my childhood. They're good about doing other things when they get bored with it.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SirPablo posted:

We barely limit our kids screen time. This is the world they live in, not my childhood. They're good about doing other things when they get bored with it.

I wouldn't mind so much if they didn't whine constantly about wanting to do it, or he had a longer turn than me, etc.

Plus they use iPads constantly at school.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
My kids were up at 06:45 this morning, you bet your rear end I let them watch TV until 09:30 so I could sleep in

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

about to watch some dumb stuff, on the computer, with my son while he eats breakfast

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hell yeah!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
don't forget to turn the monitor on

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Baby girl has Kirbymom's cold. Sick babies are just so sad looking. Its ok that both ladies are coughing directly in my face, I've been snorting EmergenC vitamin C powder every 4 hours and I've fortified everyone's nutrition with chicken noodle soup. Toddler boy has not shown symptoms, so I've been handing him extra fruit pouches, forbidden food sharing, and largely kept everyone separated through a defense in depth series of baby gates. Yesterday went supply shopping with toddler boy. We are snowed in today.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We listened to the floor is lava song for an hour straight

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Finally bought my youngest new clothes and shoes and then the little rear end in a top hat grew an inch overnight, what a fucker.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
He's always doing poo poo like that to me.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I went to get a haircut yesterday and some other parents were there with their kid right when the doors opened (just like me because that's smart).

this kid cried the entire time he got his haircut and was inconsolable throughout. they kept having the stylist go back and trim things and fix them up while the kid is just losing his mind.

when he was done I gave him a thumbs up and told him he was a champ. then I asked his dad if they were getting ready for family photos or something like that and he goes "nah, just overdue for a trim."

like, drat dude... you could have had her buzz his head and been out of here in six minutes flat. the gently caress are you doing.

Struensee
Nov 9, 2011
It's important to torture your children every once in a while. Builds character.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My son's 4 and he has never had a haircut, he doesn't want one so it's all good

It's pretty curly so tough to see it's a few inches past his shoulders

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I went to get a haircut yesterday and some other parents were there with their kid right when the doors opened (just like me because that's smart).

this kid cried the entire time he got his haircut and was inconsolable throughout. they kept having the stylist go back and trim things and fix them up while the kid is just losing his mind.

when he was done I gave him a thumbs up and told him he was a champ. then I asked his dad if they were getting ready for family photos or something like that and he goes "nah, just overdue for a trim."

like, drat dude... you could have had her buzz his head and been out of here in six minutes flat. the gently caress are you doing.

Enforcing gender roles on kids is a tough job, but somebody gotta do it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

yeah I dunno I just cut my kids hair when they ask or if it's routinely getting in the way of food intake.

I've got one kid who wants a cut every month and one kid who gets two a year.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my sons hair is getting pretty long and i think i will get him a haircut next week. he mostly likes it but when tehy take the clipper around his ear he gets really tickled. which he likes but its hard on the person cutting his hair lol.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

My son is almost 2 and hasn't had a haircut. He looks bad rear end. gently caress the haters

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I have been absolutely brutally owned by my 4 year old.

I've been teaching him to write Chinese, mostly to help myself learn.

He wanted to know how to write 朋友(pengyou, friend), and I showed him how and he wrote it amazingly well, so we hung it on the fridge, and he said I was 朋友, very cute.

I went to run a quick errand, I come back, he's taken the piece of paper down, flipped it over, written 胖友( pangyou, fat friend) and hung it back up in the same place.

He said "that's you".

I have never been more owned.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I hope you can find solace in your new life

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Forgot until just now that the Good Fairy in the Little Bunny Foo Foo song punishes Little Bunny Foo Foo by turning him into a goon

Cruel and unusual if you ask me

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

loquacius posted:

Forgot until just now that the Good Fairy in the Little Bunny Foo Foo song punishes Little Bunny Foo Foo by turning him into a goon

Cruel and unusual if you ask me

now you get to finish it by saying "and it could happen to yoouuuuuuuu...."

012224_2
Jan 23, 2024
just barely escalates into barely better fake media 24 hours later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

012224_2
Jan 23, 2024

Sherbert Hoover posted:

now you get to finish it by saying "and it could happen to yoouuuuuuuu...."

right yeah that never happens to these people