Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Her description of her father suggests he's a creampuff himself. And, honestly, so does a reading of the biblical myths which doesn't take the entity asserting itself as the universe's just and benevolent "God" at face value: Lucifer's no perverted, evil psychopath, just someone who offered humanity the ability to perceive good from evil. This upsets Yahweh because, woops! his draconian subjugation of humanity to his petty whims is obviously pretty drat evil. But Yahweh still had power and cast Lucifer into the pit and shoveled generations upon generations of the worst humanity has to offer onto him.

Only need to look at Adam and Co. to see that, in the show's narrative, the forces of Heaven are fundamentally no different from (and certainly no better than) the demons; they just have power. I'd wager Charlie's going to realize before the show is over that the much vaunted goodness of heaven was a self-serving lie all along.

yeah. i believe someone said it upthread or maybe somewhere else but i get the idea that heaven is very much "order and conformity above all" while hell is that liberterian town that went up its own rear end and let the bears come in. Lucifer and the sins dont give a poo poo as long as no one guns for his throne. meanwhile in heaven for every angel like Collin who wants to do something good and help people at his own painful expense, you have ones like adam who are basicaly just doing this gig because they psychos who want to hurt people with carte blanch and get to go on killing teames in the hell ghetto.

like lets all be real, if heaven exists in the way that its populaly described, it would probably suck poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. i believe someone said it upthread or maybe somewhere else but i get the idea that heaven is very much "order and conformity above all" while hell is that liberterian town that went up its own rear end and let the bears come in. Lucifer and the sins dont give a poo poo as long as no one guns for his throne. meanwhile in heaven for every angel like Collin who wants to do something good and help people at his own painful expense, you have ones like adam who are basicaly just doing this gig because they psychos who want to hurt people with carte blanch and get to go on killing teames in the hell ghetto.

like lets all be real, if heaven exists in the way that its populaly described, it would probably suck poo poo.

If we're going by the spoilers on the playing cards there's a card depicting the "winners" in heaven and it looks like a pretty nice place to live. Interestingly enough humans who go to heaven don't look human either. Although their heavenly forms are very pretty. But then again there's no accounting for what goes on behind the scenes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Flopsy posted:

If we're going by the spoilers on the playing cards there's a card depicting the "winners" in heaven and it looks like a pretty nice place to live. Interestingly enough humans who go to heaven don't look human either. Although their heavenly forms are very pretty. But then again there's no accounting for what goes on behind the scenes.

yeah i assume we see heaven in the show. i assume heaven is actually mostly nice, just very very very exclusive and the rules keep changing to narrow the invites

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah i assume we see heaven in the show. i assume heaven is actually mostly nice, just very very very exclusive and the rules keep changing to narrow the invites

The question that raises is what about the people already there? If the rules keep getting tighter are there "winners" who get kicked out because they no longer qualify under the new management standards?

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Cugel the Clever posted:

Her description of her father suggests he's a creampuff himself. And, honestly, so does a reading of the biblical myths which doesn't take the entity asserting itself as the universe's just and benevolent "God" at face value: Lucifer's no perverted, evil psychopath, just someone who offered humanity the ability to perceive good from evil. This upsets Yahweh because, woops! his draconian subjugation of humanity to his petty whims is obviously pretty drat evil. But Yahweh still had power and cast Lucifer into the pit and shoveled generations upon generations of the worst humanity has to offer onto him.

The lack of perception of good and evil is the reason that children are innocent, even when they do things that, should an adult do them, would be perceived as evil. Innocence means the freedom to do as you please without actually committing sin, because you have no concept of what is right and what is wrong.

That's the entire reason that Lucifer was jealous of humanity in the first place. Because they were actually free to do as they pleased, save for one thing, while angels were not.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Just stumbled into this show, caught up to e4. Very good and also some of the Angel bits are tough to watch.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so is it 8 total? are two hitting at once or at they dropping the rest?

Yeah, only eight. Two the next on the 25th with the last two on Feb. 1st

Cugel the Clever posted:

Only need to look at Adam and Co. to see that, in the show's narrative, the forces of Heaven are fundamentally no different from (and certainly no better than) the demons; they just have power. I'd wager Charlie's going to realize before the show is over that the much vaunted goodness of heaven was a self-serving lie all along.

Lucifer's view point is pretty much, let whatever poo poo happens, happen. He doesn't really give a drat one way or another, unless his family is involved, otherwise the exterminations and the like really doesn't bother him. He's not a bad guy, but between all his ideas being ignored in Heaven(sound familar to someone?) and getting thrown into hell, he's more or less lost any passion he had. Seeing the worse of humanity for all time didn't help.

Lilith is the one who really made hell into what it is. She thrived while her husband merely existed.

Adder Moray posted:

That's the entire reason that Lucifer was jealous of humanity in the first place. Because they were actually free to do as they pleased, save for one thing, while angels were not.

The Lucifer in this has a different origin, that needs to be kept in mind.

The Last Call fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 21, 2024

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Adder Moray posted:

The lack of perception of good and evil is the reason that children are innocent, even when they do things that, should an adult do them, would be perceived as evil. Innocence means the freedom to do as you please without actually committing sin, because you have no concept of what is right and what is wrong.

So pre-apple humans were pet psychopaths Yahweh had running around in a zoo doing who knows what and, when Lucifer encouraged Eve to use her mind to consider the impact of her actions (and perhaps critically assess her relationship with Yahweh), Yahweh cast them out into abject desperation and imposed eternal damnation any human who'd violate his rules? And then failed to provide concrete evidence that his rules and consequences exist?

Lucifer again comes off as a friend to humanity in that take.

e: more directly thread-relevant content: Hazbin good; Helluva Boss good; more please!

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Jan 21, 2024

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Google Jeb Bush posted:

Just stumbled into this show, caught up to e4. Very good and also some of the Angel bits are tough to watch.

If you're just joining in the original pilot is still up on youtube. It's more or the less the prologue episode and there's a sister series called Helluva boss that also has broadway musical numbers and baller animation. Although the protagonists and plots between the shows differ wildly. Hazbin Hotel is more heavy handed about potential consequences on a cosmic scale while Helluva boss is more slice of life.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It's also very likely that Charlie has been separated from the worst of hell simply because nobody wants to hurt the King's daughter no matter how little they respect her. Threaten Charlie the wrong way and Lucifer is going to give you a bad time if he hears about it, now that she's actually making an independent effort she's opening herself up to dangers she'd never encountered before.

So her world view is likely very sheltered just from who her parents are in the grand scheme of things.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I"m really digging Hazbin Hotel alooot.

Angel's SA was very uncomfortable but man, they handled it pretty well. Kevin is so good at singing. LOSER was a very catchy tune. Honestly curious what Alastor's end game is with knowing the information about angels being killed by one of the leaders. Charlie is defintely beein sheltered her whole life. She really tries to spin something into positive for everything. Kinda curious how far away Lucifier or her mother is like that too.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I watched the Hazbin Hotel pilot last night and, uh, was there a different one ever released? Like a lot shorter, with terrible geometric character designs and a lot more swearing and no musical numbers?

Cugel the Clever posted:

So pre-apple humans were pet psychopaths Yahweh had running around in a zoo doing who knows what and, when Lucifer encouraged Eve to use her mind to consider the impact of her actions (and perhaps critically assess her relationship with Yahweh), Yahweh cast them out into abject desperation and imposed eternal damnation any human who'd violate his rules? And then failed to provide concrete evidence that his rules and consequences exist?

Having grown up in a really lovely home, I was never able to see the garden of eden story as anything other than an abusive parent hurting his children for daring to defy him in the smallest way.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

The Last Call posted:

The Lucifer in this has a different origin, that needs to be kept in mind.

But the post I was quoting wasn't about the show's origin

Cugel the Clever posted:

Lucifer again comes off as a friend to humanity in that take.
If you're bound and determined to twist "I hosed up your innocence because I was jealous" to make a jealous rear end in a top hat the good guy? Yeah, sure.

I don't find contrarian readings of fiction particularly interesting, though.

EDIT: And I mean that irrespective of how you feel about God's role in the story. The serpent literally lies on page to Eve about what the tree does in order to get her to eat the fruit, deliberately sabotaging paradise. Arguing Lucifer was trying to help is like saying "well, the government lied about how bad marijuana is, so I can clearly trust this meth dealer hanging outside of the school."

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Jan 21, 2024

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I watched the Hazbin Hotel pilot last night and, uh, was there a different one ever released? Like a lot shorter, with terrible geometric character designs and a lot more swearing and no musical numbers?

Having grown up in a really lovely home, I was never able to see the garden of eden story as anything other than an abusive parent hurting his children for daring to defy him in the smallest way.

No, there was only ever one Hazbin Hotel pilot. It was made over four years ago, not getting confused between Helluva Boss pilot are you? That has more swearing and no musical numbers until the end credits.

Adder Moray posted:

But the post I was quoting wasn't about the show's origin

Oh well, neer mind then!

Lord_Magmar posted:

It's also very likely that Charlie has been separated from the worst of hell simply because nobody wants to hurt the King's daughter no matter how little they respect her. Threaten Charlie the wrong way and Lucifer is going to give you a bad time if he hears about it, now that she's actually making an independent effort she's opening herself up to dangers she'd never encountered before.

So her world view is likely very sheltered just from who her parents are in the grand scheme of things.

Pretty much so.

Both Lucifer and Lilith are the top two most powerful demons in hell, who wants to screw with them? Some might fear them due to the connection with God alone. Kicker is Charlier is the third most powerful demon but she's so nice she never shows it, so she isn't given the respect by everyone. Yeah, she could thrash Alastor, probably easily. He isn't as strong as the sins or Stolas for example. Charlie is, and more.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

The Last Call posted:

No, there was only ever one Hazbin Hotel pilot. It was made over four years ago, not getting confused between Helluva Boss pilot are you? That has more swearing and no musical numbers until the end credits.

No, it wasn't the Helluva Boss pilot. I went from watching that to the rest of the series, mostly in the one night.

drat, I'm confused now*. All the times I said I bounced off the Hazbin pilot, I was thinking of something else entirely and have no idea what it was.

* and more than a little embarrassed at myself

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Megillah Gorilla posted:

No, it wasn't the Helluva Boss pilot. I went from watching that to the rest of the series, mostly in the one night.

drat, I'm confused now*. All the times I said I bounced off the Hazbin pilot, I was thinking of something else entirely and have no idea what it was.

* and more than a little embarrassed at myself

There's a ton of indie shows out there online so it could have been any one of them.

Three other good shows:

Murder Drones
The Amazing Digital Circus
Lackadaisy

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I hope both Hazbin and Helluva continue for a long time, there’s a lot of mileage you can get out of the setting and characters

Speaking of, the latter is supposed to come back in April right?

Also do we have any concrete proof of the former getting a second season/when said season is supposed to start or is that just a rumor (it makes sense at least)?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

I hope both Hazbin and Helluva continue for a long time, there’s a lot of mileage you can get out of the setting and characters

Speaking of, the latter is supposed to come back in April right?

Also do we have any concrete proof of the former getting a second season/when said season is supposed to start or is that just a rumor (it makes sense at least)?

Helluva Boss is pretty much confirmed to be four seasons.

Hazbin Hotel is said to have a longer life span.

Hazbin Hotel season 2 was announced the same day as 1 was, it's already in production.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

Helluva Boss is pretty much confirmed to be four seasons.

Hazbin Hotel is said to have a longer life span.

Hazbin Hotel season 2 was announced the same day as 1 was, it's already in production.

Cool, hopefully it’ll drop not long after the first one finishes then

It’s been brought up before but I’m sort of curious if there will ever be any direct crossover between the two shows aside from maybe a few easter eggs/the Sins at most or if that’s not feasible due to behind the scenes reasons (though they did decide to continue Hazbin from where the pilot left off but not upload said pilot to Amazon for whatever reason)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jan 21, 2024

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

The Last Call posted:

There's a ton of indie shows out there online so it could have been any one of them.

Three other good shows:

Murder Drones
The Amazing Digital Circus
Lackadaisy

I’d add angel hare with the caviet that it’s analog horror with a twist and you can finish both seasons in a half hour.
Also satina which has only like 3 episodes but is mostly just weirdly cute and wholesome.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, the whole thing, really. "You're innately rotten and I'm the only one who loves you. I saw you walking near Zeus the other day—are you loving cheating on me? I've sacrificed everything for you and still you can't abide by my indisputable law? I will loving torture you for the rest of eternity and the only route to salvation is your devotion to me." is just textbook abusive relationship.

Adder Moray posted:

I don't find contrarian readings of fiction particularly interesting, though.

EDIT: And I mean that irrespective of how you feel about God's role in the story. The serpent literally lies on page to Eve about what the tree does in order to get her to eat the fruit, deliberately sabotaging paradise.
You're accepting the Biblical framing as the objective truth of what occurred, rather than a potentially self-serving retelling through the lens of a party that was really upset about their toys embracing their critical faculties :cheeky:

I enjoy fiction that reassesses the framing of plots from well-known stories. To immediately reject such as "contrarian" is to be overly wedded to the source material. While some works along those lines are absolutely just a naive "no, gently caress you, dad!" rebellion or being edgy for clicks, there's some great content out there.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

Although exactly how integral that version of the Lucifer story is to Christianity is itself debatable. Not that I really know much about the subject, but I did share a forum with a devout Catholic theology major once who very loudly insisted that that the snake=satan=lucifer=fallen-angel rendition of the story isn't actually Biblical and is mainly the result of generations of Christians misinterpreting a Biblical insult about the King of Babylon.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Didn’t the Snake = Satan thing first come from the Paradise Lost novel (which was basically biblical fanfiction) and it somehow got mixed into the official canon over time?

Similarly, I don’t believe Lucifer’s fall is actually mentioned in the Bible either

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 21, 2024

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
The most important thing I remember from the Bible is do NOT make fun of bald people.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Larryb posted:

Didn’t the Snake = Satan thing first come from the Paradise Lost novel (which was basically biblical fanfiction) and it somehow got mixed into the official canon over time?

Similarly, I don’t believe Lucifer’s fall is actually mentioned in the Bible either

yeah, most of modern christians conscepts of hell come from dante or milton or weird medival scholars.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 21, 2024

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I think we can set the countdown before Charlie's "History of Hell" storybook time is revealed to be an unreliable narrative, too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I will be shocked if we don’t get a backstory episode on Charlie and/or Vaggie at some point

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Madurai posted:

I think we can set the countdown before Charlie's "History of Hell" storybook time is revealed to be an unreliable narrative, too.

yeah. i think the history is partly bullshit at the very least.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Madurai posted:

Possibly, although there are little hints in the pictures of things beyond what's in Charlie's narrative. For example when she says "Angels worshipped good and shielded all from evil" we get an image of a giant light lady and a giant grinning red lady in the bottom corners that weren't mentioned at all by Charlie. (Some kind of pseudo-Zoroastrian dual deities thing maybe?) So I think it's going to be more that Charlie's story is basically all true but leaves a bunch of important details out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

We’ll be meeting her dad this week apparently so maybe we’ll get a little more history then (I assume her mom won’t be too far behind at this point as well)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, most of modern christians conscepts of hell come from dante or milton or weird medival scholars.

Literally just had an argument with someone about the seven rings and the impression I got is they don't know the difference between the Bible and Dante's self insert fanfiction.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Where did the whole “Lucifer is a fallen angel” thing first originate from anyway, Paradise Lost? Because in the Bible he’s just kind of there at a couple points (I forget if the name “Hell” is even mentioned for that matter)

In fact, the closest the latter gets to actually mentioning a fall of some kind isn’t until Revelation

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jan 21, 2024

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Helluva Boss and Hazbin Hotel have been open about mixing up various parts of Actual Bible Stuff, Jewish and Christian non-Biblical folklore, medieval and renaissance demonology, and Dante and Milton's fancy fanfics.

Larryb posted:

Where did the whole “Lucifer is a fallen angel” thing first originate from anyway, Paradise Lost? Because in the Bible he’s just kind of there at a couple points (I forget if the name “Hell” is even mentioned for that matter)

In fact, the closest the latter gets to actually mentioning a fall of some kind isn’t until Revelation

Lucifer as a distinct character and not just a fancy name for Venus (the planet) is more or less the result of translations of a passage in the Book of Isaiah that in-context is Isaiah talking poo poo about an unnamed Babylonian king, who is introduced as "the morning star" (meaning, the planet Venus, which is so bright that you can sometimes see it during the day) who had fallen from heaven.

Lucifer as a fallen angel who became the devil is a result of generations of Christian tradition taking this passage from Isaiah in conjunction with some stuff from the Gospel of Luke, Revelations, and preexisting beliefs about fallen angels.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Helluva Boss and Hazbin Hotel have been open about mixing up various parts of Actual Bible Stuff, Jewish and Christian non-Biblical folklore, medieval and renaissance demonology, and Dante and Milton's fancy fanfics.

Lucifer as a distinct character and not just a fancy name for Venus (the planet) is more or less the result of translations of a passage in the Book of Isaiah that in-context is Isaiah talking poo poo about an unnamed Babylonian king, who is introduced as "the morning star" (meaning, the planet Venus, which is so bright that you can sometimes see it during the day) who had fallen from heaven.

Lucifer as a fallen angel who became the devil is a result of generations of Christian tradition taking this passage from Isaiah in conjunction with some stuff from the Gospel of Luke, Revelations, and preexisting beliefs about fallen angels.

Essentially the stories are so old it's inevitable they start to blend and remix into themselves. I mean the story of Lilith is also Jewish folklore/fanfiction from a very controversial sect and generally considered non-canon in any religious sense. Anyone complaining about the lore of the show not being Bible accurate isn't grasping the fact the plot is in fact cherry picking from multiple sources in addition to creative interpretation.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

yeah and i am fine with that mostly because while i am vaguely spiritual, i mostly find all the religion and history and mixing and blending more interesting and its pretty clear Viv and other writers have at least read a couple books on them.

Flopsy posted:

Essentially the stories are so old it's inevitable they start to blend and remix into themselves. I mean the story of Lilith is also Jewish folklore/fanfiction from a very controversial sect and generally considered non-canon in any religious sense. Anyone complaining about the lore of the show not being Bible accurate isn't grasping the fact the plot is in fact cherry picking from multiple sources in addition to creative interpretation.

this. the new testimate is basicaly 4 versions of a story about jesus for different audiances and time periods. Acts is basicaly a sequel to luke and mostly a biography on paul. alot of reasons christianty sorta became what it was because paul won the factional war between him and the hellenistic christian converts and alot of the deciples and the more jewish oriented sect.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

Also I will be shocked if we don’t get a backstory episode on Charlie and/or Vaggie at some point

Good news, we are going to learn about all the characters that were human.

As in, we'll actually see them when they were human.

Or so Viv said.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Last Call posted:

Or so Viv said.

Charlie isn't human though (or at least is technically half human on her mother's side depending on how you want to interpret Lilith). I think Alastor is the only one of the bunch that was confirmed to have been one once unless I'm not aware of/forgetting something (there are plenty of cases where some demons were literally born in Hell)

But in any case, good to hear we're getting some backstory eventually

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Larryb posted:

Charlie isn't human though (or at least is technically half human on her mother's side depending on how you want to interpret Lilith). I think Alastor is the only one of the bunch that was confirmed to have been one once unless I'm not aware of/forgetting something (there are plenty of cases where some demons were literally born in Hell)

Characters in Hazbin Hotel that were human:
Alastor, Niffty, Husk, Vaggie, Cherri Bomb, Sir Pentious and Angel Dust

Charlie was born in hell.

Some of their backgrounds have popped up in little comics made available on the Hazbin Hotel site.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

The Last Call posted:

Or so Viv said.
Ooh, that'd be neat. I'd love for the show to explore whether the sins that damned them to eternal hellfire were actually monstrous or just the mundane, pathetic mistakes of your average flawed, stressed human beings, leading Charlie to a "Wait... Heaven, bad??" epiphany.

Not sure they'd go that route, though, as it doesn't jive perfectly with HB's worldbuilding and might not be zany enough for the show's tone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Larryb posted:

Actually a majority of the characters that we've met so far are former humans, far more than Helluva Boss. I think the only ones that straight up aren't are Charlie and Lucifer. I think every other major character was once human, this includes the angels. I'm really interested in how the various overlords got the power they got, especially Vox and Alastor, though I imagine Alastor's stuff is not going to be revealed for an extremely long time.